Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2024, 17:41   #676
BHPian

Re: A Yetiguide® to Coffee

I'm not a coffee connoisseur but I do enjoy the beverage, whether it be freshly brewed or the instant type. I drink mostly black coffee and do enjoy the Nescafe Gold brand. It may be freeze dried, but I find its in-your-face bitterness and dependably strong and robust flavor to my liking.

In my recent trip to Kenya, I came back with some of Dormans Supreme Instant coffee which tastes very different from the coffee I was used to. However, I found that it is a flavour that grows on you.

I have also sampled different flavours of Beanie's instant coffee and actually enjoyed quite a few of them. Most recently, I tried the Moccona Premium Dark Roast and thoroughly enjoyed it! The aroma and the flavour as it rolls off your tongue, it just hits different.

My current one is Davidoff Crema Intense, which tastes like something in between the bitterness of roasted coffee beans and subtle notes of dark chocolate. It is taking some getting used to.
Old 10th April 2024, 17:55   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
This year coffee seed rates have up. Coffee bean vendor might be justified in your city.
However My suggested ratio is 60:30:10 of Robusta:Arabica:Chicory powder. Get the roasting medium.
If you want to experiment , you can change the ratio too. Its individual choice
Am ok with the rates. Just wanted to know more about what he terms as Plantation and Peaberry. Are they both variants of Arabica?
Old 10th April 2024, 18:46   #678
BHPian

This branding is purely done on the basis of gradation. There is no standard procedure for adoption. Plantation gradation is done in Arabica seeds and Peaberry is both from Arabica and Robusta variety. Peaberry is round and a single bean and more flavoured and the plantation is stronger. If you Google, you will get all the details.

In short, there are only 2 varieties of coffee seeds, Arabica and Robusta, the rest of the names floating around are only gradations of these 2 varieties. In India, the following are the gradations done depending upon various parameters Viz size, number of beans, cleanliness etc.

Arabica parchment: AA, A, PB, B, C, BBB
Arabica cherry: AA, A, PB, B, C, BBB

Likewise, the same gradation is done for Robusta parchment and Robusta cherry. Cherry is raw fruit. Parchment is Pulp remove seed. Coffee growing is a very complicated and difficult process, whereas, coffee drinking is very easy and Making coffee is an Art.

Only a grower like me knows how difficult and painful it is to grow.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2024 at 23:18. Reason: Formatting; grammar; spacing
sumukha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 15:35   #679

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post

In short, there are only 2 varieties of coffee seeds, Arabica and Robusta, the rest of the names floating around are only gradations of these 2 varieties...
I disagree, you seem to be forgetting Liberica and Excelsa.

Also in India, the number of beans doesn't matter what matters are the imperfections and flaws such as Quakers, mouldy, broken beans, insect infested.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st April 2024 at 16:11. Reason: Please quote only relevant bits of a post to respond. Thanks.
Old 28th April 2024, 11:16   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Guys!

Looking out for an espresso machine. Came across two options:

1. DeLonghi Dedica EC685M

2. Sage/ Breville Bambino
Can’t believe it’s been this long since this question of mine on the thread. Really happy to see the frequent posts here. Here’s what my setup looks after a year and half of getting into brewing coffee

A Yetiguide® to Coffee-img_1284.jpeg

Also, my current favourite is Blue Tokai’s Vienna Roast. Does anyone have recommendations for good dark roasts? Much appreciated
Jash2709 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 21:00   #681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looking out for an espresso machine. Came across two options:
1. DeLonghi Dedica EC685M
Quote:
Also, my current favourite is Blue Tokai’s Vienna Roast. Does anyone have recommendations for good dark roasts? Much appreciated
I have been using the above Delonghi for last 4+ Years. Got it just at the onset of Covid. It's been my daily companion for a good coffee. Please do maintain the machine with a proper de-scaling reginmen whenever it's required.

As regards to dark roasts, I have no choices. It's the French Roast all the time. I tried Vienna roast (and others too). Nothing gives the strength as compared to a French roast.

The coffee that I order is the Third Wave Coffee online. Works like clock work.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2024 at 10:25.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 21:59   #682

Quote:
Also, my current favourite is Blue Tokai’s Vienna Roast. Does anyone have recommendations for good dark roasts?
Dark Dark Dark by Kapikottai

Also check out kokoro, their zazen is amazing as a cortado even shinzo.

Even KC roasters have some solid espresso roasts -- Christmas microlot melkodige -- Yeast Naturals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The coffee that I order is the Third Wave Coffee online. Works like clock work.
Do what you must. Everything is good as long as you enjoy coffee. But just FYI, Third Wave is mostly commercial. They don't put too much focus on roasting beans, and their beans aren't usually roasted well. They are basically the Indian Starbucks, haha. I would recommend trying out some speciality roasters. There is a slight price difference, but it is very worth it.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th May 2024 at 22:11. Reason: Back to Back posts merged. Trimmed quoted posts
gentlemandriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 18:46   #683
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemandriver View Post
Do what you must. Everything is good as long as you enjoy coffee. But just FYI, Third Wave is mostly commercial. They don't put too much focus on roasting beans, and their beans aren't usually roasted well. They are basically the Indian Starbucks, haha. I would recommend trying out some speciality roasters. There is a slight price difference, but it is very worth it.
Absolutely I agree with you. Third wave is commercial. I tried Starbucks, blue tokai as well. But came back to TWCR.

Like you said, it's definitely possible there are others who make it better. I just want something which gets me a regular source. I use it regularly every day. Hence the need to have it consistent on both supply and taste.
Old 12th May 2024, 10:06   #684

Quote:
Absolutely I agree with you. Third wave is commercial. I tried Starbucks, blue tokai as well. But came back to TWCR.

Like you said, it's definitely possible there are others who make it better. I just want something which gets me a regular source. I use it regularly every day. Hence the need to have it consistent on both supply and taste.

Totally understand , TWCR is of course much cheaper and gets the job done.
Old 12th May 2024, 10:39   #685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dark Dark Dark by Kapikottai

They are basically the Indian Starbucks. There is a slight price difference, but it is very worth it.
I usually use French Press and stick with Starbucks. My Son says they do a bad job in roasting, but for some reason, I don't like what he uses. It's supposed to be a speciality roaster—Phil & Sebastian and some others.

I have tried some other stuff like Blue Tokai etc. But didn't like. What would you recommend for a change? I like dark roast, usually Italian or Sumatra from Starbucks.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 12:32   #686
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Totally understand , TWCR is of course much cheaper and gets the job done.
My first stage of ordering from Blue Tokai. Did not go well. They did not have a dark roast on the list. Will try again. I checked the pricing. Both TWCR and Blue Tokai are similar in price (and commercial). I like the taste of both. Blue Tokai better. But yet to find a stable subscription for their supply. From a cafe point of view, if there is a Blue Tokai vs TWCR, I would any day take Blue Tokai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I usually use French Press and stick with Starbucks. My Son says they do a bad job in roasting, but for some reason, I don't like what he uses. It's supposed to be a speciality roaster—Phil & Sebastian and some others.
For an espresso, the best is a dark roast. Usually in my opinion if are looking at French Press and/or Pour over, dark roasts are not the ones. You should try something lighter. I think thats why you may have not liked Blue Tokai and others.

Last edited by ampere : 12th May 2024 at 16:04.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2024, 13:06   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I usually use French Press and stick with Starbucks.
Starbucks does do a very bad job at roasting, they roast on the sun haha. I feel you could get the same stuff for a very cheap price from local roasters.

There is a process called cupping which is used to test/examine coffee which basically brings out the raw characteristics of coffee. French press is a little similar to that; plain raw immersion. FP will bring out the attributes of the coffee and usually gives a good body.

My personal experience FP does well with Medium-Dark but can also do well with light roasts. Since you like dark stuff, I recommend Dark Dark Dark from Kapikottai and Curveball also from Kapikottai. Curveball is a very fruity coffee whereas Dark Dark Dark is mellow and chocolatey like your typical dark roast. I feel like comparing these two would help you understand your taste preferences better. You could get these as a sampler pack I think. The sampler pack requires you to pick three coffees so for the third pack I would recommend any medium+ or medium-light natural process coffee from their catalogue.

Also, one more thing to keep in mind while brewing with French press to eliminate user error is to grind coffee fresh if you have access to a proper burr grinder. Focus on how hot your water is with some thermometer or even by just timing it. Dark -- Cooler temp Light -- Hotter temp. Focus on immersion time. Also, plunge a little slowly.

Quote:
My first stage of ordering from Blue Tokai. Did not go well.
BT has shifted its focus from roasting to cafes these days so quality and production has dropped IMO. But yeah BT is MUCH better. If I remember correctly they do have a subscription service on their website.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th May 2024 at 13:20. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use multi quote function.
gentlemandriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 09:37   #688
BHPian

To the coffee connoisseurs of this thread, do we have any good decaf brands here in India or Bengaluru?
Old 14th May 2024, 10:20   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
To the coffee connoisseurs of this thread, do we have any good decaf brands here in India or Bengaluru?

I believe KC roasters have some decaf in their collection.
gentlemandriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 07:28   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Gents, at the risk of getting flamed , am looki for a Nespresso-compatible coffee machine here in BLR.

Any ideas please? Not looking for anything else!

Last edited by itwasntme : 2nd June 2024 at 07:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks