Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2022, 21:01   #601
BHPian

Re: A YetiguideŽ to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi guys, a query on sourcing coffee. I am planning to purchase unbranded instant coffee powder from Coorg or Chicmagalur. For home usage. I liked the coffee of Coorg more than Nescafe and Bru. But no patience to filter. Want to try out local instant coffee. Looking for unbranded powder from any known shop or factory outlet. Please share contact if you know any.
I quite like Hathmic (available in Amazon). Of course in BLR you'll find many more.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 12:54   #602
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
For home usage. I liked the coffee of Coorg more than Nescafe and Bru. But no patience to filter.
I had the same attitude, bud. But trust me, once you get the hang of it, making gourmet coffee is just 20% more effort than instant coffee. Buy this one that I'm using - it's great as a "starter pack" machine.

- Open lid and put 1.5 - 2 scoops of coffee powder.

- Pour 1.5 glasses of water in the water compartment.

- Press button to start. Come back after 4 - 5 minutes and your amazing coffee is ready in the pot.

The reusable filter takes 30 seconds to clean before the next round.

Believe me when I say this, there is no going back to instant coffee once you've started experimenting with the different flavours of Blue Tokai, Coorg etc.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 12:10   #603
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, how to make iced black coffee at home? Currently, I'm using the Philips drip machine.

Some days, it might be nice to have cold black coffee instead of hot.

Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 12:25   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, how to make iced black coffee at home? Currently, I'm using the Philips drip machine.

Thanks
Search for cold brew in YouTube. Doesn't need any fancy equipment. You can use a simple glass jar for the brewing. I use my milk pitcher covered with a lid for the brewing. Strain using a fine tea strainer.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 12:53   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Believe me when I say this, there is no going back to instant coffee once you've started experimenting with the different flavours of Blue Tokai, Coorg etc.
I second this. I've been to Chikmagalur recently and brought back some coffee products, have to admit that these just hit differently. The filter I bought serves 2 cups and takes only 4 minutes to brew, it's totally worth it.
Lot of the content in the coffee that we can buy in our regular marts from FMCGs is chicory, added mostly to minimise the cost.

I got to try Blue Tokai too, their easy pour mixes to be precise. Just cut the sachet, pour hot water and voila. I was pleasantly surprised how good they were considering no filter was used to brew it separately. The aroma spreads strongly when the sachet is cut like something's already brewing. They also source the coffee beans from various estates in Chikmagalur which I happened to come across during our drive. For someone who prefers dark roasts I really liked the others too.
cule1899_bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 16:57   #606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks
I have completely migrated to drinking cold brews. I am so used to cold brews now that hot black coffee is actually the exception for me rather than the rule. To a point that I try to even travel with a full flask of coffee wherever feasible.

As a starting point, search Blue Tokai and Sleepy Owl. They have sealed cold brew bags available.

Simply immerse them in a jar of water (1 brew bag to 500 ml water) and let it stay for 10 - 12 hours in your fridge.

I usually brew batches of 3 bags at a time in a 1.5 ltr plus jar and it lasts me for 4 - 5 days. Store it in your fridge througout (take the bags out once its brewed for 10 - 12 hours.

They have different strengths, flavours etc. If you're in a rush, Nature's Basket, Worli stocks Sleep Owl. Otherwise you can go to their website and order - you should get them in 4 - 5 working days.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 08:00   #607
Team-BHP Support

Ahem, coffee is better than water...

Quote:
Consumption of a dark roast coffee blend reduces DNA damage in humans: results from a 4-week randomised controlled study
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30448878/
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 09:37   #608
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am enjoying experimenting with and trying out new coffees. These are my favourites. 1, 2 and 5 are from Blue Tokai, 3 is from Madras Cafe (Matunga) and 4 is lovingly called "Omkar" coffee, because BHPian Omkar got me some amazing coffee powder from his friend's estate in Chikmagalur. Blue Tokai is top class . No going back to instant coffee, ever.

A YetiguideŽ to Coffee-20220426-08.10.51.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 09:52   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any post here which talks about the different types of coffee makers and which one for what use case?
Old 28th April 2022, 09:55   #610
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Is there any post here which talks about the different types of coffee makers and which one for what use case?
See initial posts by Sam on this same thread. Perfect reference for your search!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 10:03   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
See initial posts by Sam on this same thread. Perfect reference for your search!
Good intro, bless his soul.

Nothing about the aeropress though. Guess it came later.
Old 28th April 2022, 11:00   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, how to make iced black coffee at home?
Thanks
Cold milk coffee -This is a good use for Instant Coffee. 3:1 or 3:2 table spoons ( Sugar: Coffee ) depending on the sweet vs astringent setup you need + half a liter chilled milk and right into the blender. That's it for regular sweet cold coffee - add whipped cream etc if more froth needed. Works each time well.

For cold black coffee - 1:1 instant coffee powder to sugar for a glass of cold coffee, add water, mix well, refrigerate for 3-4 hours and serve topped with ice.

Separately, for those that need single origin coffee from Malnad and Kodagu regions of Karnataka, please have a look at Tata Sonnet : https://tatacoffeesonnets.com/ : they are cured in different ways so some of them will have an additional zing without affecting the core flavours of the coffee bean. There are different types of powders to suit different ways of preparations - there are varieties meant for the filter, some meant for the french press, some meant for the mocha pot etc. Those of you that buy the filter version, remember to pack it dense and it takes a while to filter down - if you don't pay heed, you will end up with an extremely liquidy coffee.

Pro tips for a thick South Indian coffee :

1) When you brew using filter: add a bit of sugar (half a spoon or 3/4 to the filter over the coffee powder on the upper compartment of the filter - it neutralizes extreme bitterness when the coffee filters thru. Always tightly pack and compact load of coffee powder in the upper compartment for thick coffee.

2) When making coffee - the best to is to have fresh hot dicoction to which you can add sugar and stir to caramelize the sugar and then add the milk from a height to get a frothy brew

3) Lastly dollop it with a few drips of dicoction on the top.

4) Serve in Brass tumblers and "dabara" : https://www.amazon.in/Anand-Special-.../dp/B07XTC5SYK

Lastly, there are more and more estates selling Civet Coffee beans - but at Rs. 10k per kg, it's atrocious pricing.

Last edited by airguitar : 28th April 2022 at 11:04.
airguitar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 15:20   #613
BHPian

Quote:
I am enjoying experimenting with and trying out new coffees. Blue Tokai is top class . No going back to instant coffee, ever.
Are you brewing in a home espresso machine or moka pot still?
Got myself the Tecnora Classic home espresso referred by the thread gurus and am very happy with my decision.
Have now shifted from my early morning masala chai (C. Somabhai leaf tea) to Cappuccino made from Blue Tokai Vienna roast and Silver Oak cafe blend.
It's bliss
Old 28th April 2022, 15:38   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Pro tips for a thick South Indian coffee :

Rich creamy milk can elevate the filter coffee to next level. In fact I stopped worrying about which filter coffee powder to use. As long as the milk is rich it gives a superior mouth feel.
papr23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 08:25   #615
BHPian

Wanted to gift a coffee machine to someone who loves their McDonalds cappuccino. Am a noob when it comes to coffee machines and it's recurring costs. Saw a few on Amazon around 15K having specs as 15 bars (not sure what it is though). Am not even aware if one needs pods or roasted beans for these machines. Any help would be appreciated

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks