Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2022, 08:30   #586
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Yetiguide® to Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact I would say the strongest espresso you can make is from a French roast.
We need a coffee catch up whenever I’m in Bangalore next.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 16:49   #587
BANNED

I want to clean my Drip Coffee machine - I am looking at these instructions - https://www.bhg.com/homekeeping/hous...1474979530476/

First of all, my drip coffee machine has a permanent filter & not the disposable paper filters. So I was wondering if I should keep the filter in the appliance during the cleaning process or not - i.e. will the vinegar screw up the filter?

Second, is white distilled vinegar the same white synthetic vinegar you get at the kiranawala?
Old 12th March 2022, 19:25   #588
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I want to clean my Drip Coffee machine - I am looking at these instructions - https://www.bhg.com/homekeeping/hous...1474979530476/

First of all, my drip coffee machine has a permanent filter & not the disposable paper filters. So I was wondering if I should keep the filter in the appliance during the cleaning process or not - i.e. will the vinegar screw up the filter?
I don’t think vinegar makes any difference to the filter, assuming it has plastic netting. I’ve cleaned mine few times with vinegar and haven’t faced any problem. That said, I didn’t find much difference in taste either after cleaning.

Quote:
The strength of the coffee is its roast. Though Vienna is a dark roast, I never felt its strength. But French roast gets you there. Its even more stronger. In fact I would say the strongest espresso you can make is from a French roast.

I have stuck to this combo for years now. Never fails and works like a charm. I tried many of them but invariably I fall back to this time and tested one.
Interesting. I thought the method of extraction might have something to do with the caffeine content also.

In any case, another update on the Vienna Roast: I used our home mixer/grinder to grind the beans which does so to a mildly fine/less coarse powder and then made coffee in

1) Drip coffee maker: Result was definitely milder bitterness and slightly lesser caffeine hit. But then the variable here is that the drip coffee maker is single serve, so the amount of coffee it takes is definitely lesser than my Delonghi Cappuccino machine.

2) Moka pot: Used James Hoffman’s method of pouring hot water (not boiling) into the Bialetti (4 cup). Surprisingly, the coffee had decent amount of cream and was decidedly less bitter than espresso machine. Favoured drink is Americano/Long black, sometimes with little milk. Definitely didn’t give me as much caffeine hit as the espresso machine yet was enough to give me the coffee buzz for a good 4-5hrs.

All in all, still don’t like the Vienna Roast
Old 12th March 2022, 19:29   #589
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
I don’t think vinegar makes any difference to the filter, assuming it has plastic netting. I’ve cleaned mine few times with vinegar and haven’t faced any problem.
Did you use the White Synthetic Vinegar you get at the grocery store?
Old 12th March 2022, 19:44   #590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Interesting. I thought the method of extraction might have something to do with the caffeine content also.
You are perfectly correct! Extraction does make a difference. But given that being same (a standard espresso process for example), I felt a French roast to be much more stronger in taste than the Vienna roast.

A Moka pot makes it much more lighter than the Espresso. I would any day prefer an espresso to a Moka pot.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 19:54   #591
BHPian

Quote:

All in all, still don’t like the Vienna Roast
Usually darker roasts have lesser caffeine content. But bitterness and other taste quality changes with roast level. Again these do not have any link to caffeine content.

To make less bitter coffe from darker roast, use coarser ground and less hot water (90-92 deg). I drink black coffee and though I have not tasted BT Vienna Roast, I have used Devan's Viennesse Roast. In a French press or in Aero press, with a little coarser ground, and little less hot water temperature I never get a coffee that is very bitter. Slight bitterness is inherent to this blend.
Old 13th March 2022, 12:47   #592
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was colourless, like water. I don’t remember the name but I don’t think it matters much. Anyway, feel free to disregard my opinion

Quote:
You are perfectly correct! Extraction does make a difference. But given that being same (a standard espresso process for example), I felt a French roast to be much more stronger in taste than the Vienna roast.

A Moka pot makes it much more lighter than the Espresso. I would any day prefer an espresso to a Moka pot.
Exactly and I certainly feel the difference. This morning plus yesterday, I made in Moka pot and the brew had much lesser strength, confirmed.
Another thing to note is that this Vienna Roast is an oily bean, so it has potential to create trouble for bean-to-cup machines where we don’t readily have access to the piping and burrs of the grinding mill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Usually darker roasts have lesser caffeine content. But bitterness and other taste quality changes with roast level. Again these do not have any link to caffeine content.
Umm, my experience tells me otherwise. Most of the medium roasts I’ve bought so far haven’t given me the caffeine kick as this Blue Tokai Vienna Roast has. Maybe that’s just me.

Quote:
To make less bitter coffe from darker roast, use coarser ground and less hot water (90-92 deg)
This is exactly what I did this morning. About 80 C temp water in the moka pot, on the gas, off and on to not cook the coffee followed by running under the tap to stop further heating of the coffee. Made for a good milk based drink!

Cheers

Last edited by RJK : 13th March 2022 at 12:48.
Old 13th March 2022, 13:54   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Any vinegar would do. Buy the cheapest one.
Old 13th March 2022, 14:36   #594
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another thing to note is that this Vienna Roast is an oily bean, so it has potential to create trouble for bean-to-cup machines where we don’t readily have access to the piping and burrs of the grinding mill.
I definitely see your point! But even though I like my coffee; I have not gone to the extent of grinding my own beans. I just have a simple espresso machine and a mocha pot. I order the French roast powder online. The stock usually lasts a month and I refresh. All this thanks to the pandemic.

Earlier it used a shot every day at the near by cafe (and must I say, it did make my day! ). But once the pandemic set in, I had to find my options. This became the best.

Last edited by ampere : 13th March 2022 at 14:40.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 14:55   #595
BHPian

Quote:
I definitely see your point! But even though I like my coffee; I have not gone to the extent of grinding my own beans. I just have a simple espresso machine and a mocha pot. .
Just buy a manual grinder. You will be surprised how much improvement you will get from the same beans. Ground coffee over a month becomes quite stale.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 15:45   #596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Just buy a manual grinder. You will be surprised how much improvement you will get from the same beans. Ground coffee over a month becomes quite stale.
I understand your point. And I did give it a thought for some time. But then the perils of small kitchen space takes over. However some thing definitely on my list.

For now perfectly at peace with that I can get.
Old 16th March 2022, 21:16   #597
BHPian

Which grind to order query answered

Old 16th March 2022, 22:40   #598
BHPian

Curreny my go to is the Blue Tokai Easy pours (Malabar Monsoon Medium Roast). Really like the quality of coffee and the ease of use as well. It's my baby step towards getting a French Press.

Getting ready for the F1 2022 season!
Attached Thumbnails
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-20220316_215516.jpg  

MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 16:17   #599
Team-BHP Support

An interesting article on the specialty coffee boom in India

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-60427016
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 13:48   #600
BHPian

Hi guys, a query on sourcing coffee. I am planning to purchase unbranded instant coffee powder from Coorg or Chicmagalur. For home usage. I liked the coffee of Coorg more than Nescafe and Bru. But no patience to filter. Want to try out local instant coffee. Looking for unbranded powder from any known shop or factory outlet. Please share contact if you know any.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks