Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 16:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hello Sam,

I have a a similar coffee machine as posted in #21. Single cup one.

Havent used it more than twice since i got it after returning from a trip Bali; from where i picked up some coffee. Somehow for me it didnt work out well.

After reading your thread, I feel i should give it a try a few times again.
Old 10th July 2010, 16:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
1]Dukens Coffee, 636 Raviwar Peth, Pune, Near Railway Booking office. Telephone: 24458459

2]I think a little experience will teach you the answer to that question. Till then, ask the guy at the coffee bean shop.
Thanks for the address,
Dukens, here i come on 17th.
Old 10th July 2010, 16:41   #33
BHPian

South Indian filter coffee FTW! I dont know anything about beans/powders or whatever, but filter coffee is coffee!

Good to know that lord Yeti has started another marathon thread
Old 10th July 2010, 16:43   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
South Indian filter coffee FTW! I dont know anything about beans/powders or whatever, but filter coffee is coffee!
Exactly! And using the methods I have listed, you can make that at home and drink it everyday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
Good to know that lord Yeti has started another marathon thread
lol, I thought it was over rather quickly.
Old 10th July 2010, 16:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Sam, Thank you for bringing on such a topic for discussion. Coffee is something i can enjoy anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Well there is an initial investment of buying a coffee machine or a press, but after that, yes it's cheaper than buying nescafe classic.
Definitely cheaper. Well, 200 gms of TATA Mr Bean coffee costs 40 odd bucks, while the instant coffee (Nescafe Sunrise, BRU) costs almost a rupee for a gram. Nescafe Classic mentioned by you is still more costlier as it is 100% pure instant coffee granules.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 10th July 2010 at 16:47.
Old 10th July 2010, 16:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Let us also talk about the ill-effects/disadvantages of coffee consumption here. Stuff like 'caffeine', the amount of time it takes to get out of our system, how it reduces the iron content in the body etc.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 10th July 2010 at 16:51.
Old 10th July 2010, 16:52   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Let us also talk about the ill-effects/disadvantages of coffee consumption here. Stuff like 'caffeine', the amount of time it takes to get out of our system, how it reduces the iron content in the body etc.
Coffee (in another line of thinking) is considered to have many positives, including slowing down cancer, improving diabetes and more. You can read about it here www.positivelycoffee.org

But this can be an independent debate on another thread. You can start it if you like. Not here please.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 10th July 2010 at 16:56.
Old 10th July 2010, 16:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Both the good and bad stuff about coffee is said in the link below. BTW, even Tea is said to block iron absorption.

Health effects of coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10th July 2010, 17:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

spilling the beans in Navi Mumbai

For anyone who is interested roasted coffee beans can be bought in Navi Mumbai from Valli Traders, Big Splash Building, Sector 17, Vashi. This is the corner building on the Shivaji statue intersection. As you walk from the very glitzy MARU Times watch showroom (earlier Bikaner sweets and Satyam prior to that) on the corner towards the Allen Solly showroom you can find them literally with your nose. They will sell you the powder or the beans or grind them for you. Mind you though this is an old style pop and mom kind of place so be ready for the real deal.

I personally go to Navratna early in the day and get my dose of Filter coffee, the waiters leave me with an extra half cup of concoction to enable finer adjustments to suit my taste. In the early days they had a terrible time with me returning cup after cup asking them to reduce the proportion of milk(as a rule they would simply refuse to give you milk separately) and to sieve the milk before pouring. Now it is a breeze.

For the remainder of the day, I rely on Mc D's drive through window at the Palm beach galleria or is the city center (these are adjoining buildings and you can't but not see the McD). Their brew is from the Coca Cola company's Georgia range and is a very very good coffee. Much better than the CCD or Barista or Costas. In fact I drink so much of it that earlier this January they gave me a sticker to put on my car's windshield that entitles me to free stuff if my order goes to Rs. 50/- every single time I drive up to any of the drive-in windows in the Western region. So now I have 2 coffees at 25/- e.a. and free fries. All works out fine except that my doctor is going crazy trying to figure out the reason behind the up swing on the scales.
Old 10th July 2010, 17:26   #40

The world is divided into two. Coffee drinkers and tea drinkers.
Internationally and especially as you land in the U.S., the aroma of coffee pervades all the space.
But as Sam says, South Indians really know their kaapi. It is strong, aromatic and the best thing to have every morning.
For myself I plead guilty of drowning it in milk, but must give this brew a new shot now.
This little lesson with a little help from Jenny will go over well with most of us coffee drinkers.
Cheers to the cuppa!
Old 10th July 2010, 18:05   #41
BHPian

hi Sam,

your thread today just made me go to the kitchen, make some instant coffee (bru) and drink it!!
i put a lot of sugar in it in order to avoid the BLEUGHH!!
Even my wife thought it was extremely funny...

By the way, i do intend to go n try the "real coffee". Anybody knows where i can get them in hyd???
Old 10th July 2010, 18:47   #42
BHPian

Excellent thread. I'm "addicted" to coffee and miss my morning "coffee maker" coffee at home in Chennai. Over the years, my dad had found some good blend of two different varieties (peaberry and another )of coffee with chicory.

Has anyone used the cafe coffee day french press? I enquired at Landmark, Forum but they didn't have it there. The CCD one looks too 'plastic'ky for me. (It's the same one available at infibeam and same cost.) Similarly their espresso stove pot looks like aluminium which I'm told is not good for making coffee. Anyone knows where I can find some good french press in Bangalore?
Old 10th July 2010, 20:27   #43
BHPian

Great thread Sam!
I am a huge fan of filter kaapi. Its lucky to be a south Indian(or being in south India), when it comes to Coffee.
Thanks for the information. Coffee in capsule form is interesting.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:19   #44
BHPian

Great thread! very informative! Something to try at home. Yes!

Oh btw we have a small traditional coffee filter ( you know the slender stainess steel one - one dabba on top of the other.) We dont use it very often, but when we do, we pour coffee powder in the top dabba, add hot water, and wait for sometime for the coffee concentrate to collect in the bottom dabba. This I believe is very close to the traditional filter coffee process in S. India.

Anyways, I have already put coffee beans in my next purchase list. And I will keep an eye on the french press when I go out next!
Old 10th July 2010, 23:31   #45
Team-BHP Support

Down south this is how we prepare our degree coffee.

A bit of googling found what I wanted to say, so here it is:
A Yetiguide® to Coffee-filtercoffee2.jpg

Source with procedure is at
Filter Coffee: South Indian Welcome Beverage | Beyond Curries

One word of advice from me:
If you use milk in a tetra pack, then first heat some water in the milk pan.
Discard the water.
Add the milk to the hot sauce pan.
This will prevent the slightly burnt taste that tetra pack milk gets when you make coffee.
And dont over boil the tetra pack milk.

Last edited by bblost : 10th July 2010 at 23:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks