Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 21:27   #1291
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
It is bad if one is on the receiving (-ve) side of the bias. Apart from the odd stares and occasional comment, Indians are generally devoid of any major racism in the US; especially for those of us who come over on H1/L1/L2 visas with a pretty good pay package (top 5%-10%) and don't have to struggle that much.
I've worked in the automotive sector in India as well as US.

I think there is more segregation in work/outside in India, than than US. I don't think there is any dedicated effort to uplift the really poor in India.

In my opinion, the middle class needs to have the poor as their maids, drivers, etc., and not much emphasis is given on upliftment of their social status. Once they get the same earning power and move up to the middle class, in India, the entire middle class loses their domestic help.

The typical Indian is definitely friends with their maids/drivers/chaiwalla, etc. but I think that is superficial. I don't see any relationship etc being developed.
Unlike the western world, where it does not matter what your profession is. I guess, in the western world nobody cares what your profession is and what color you are.

And I don't even want to start on the state vs state and language vs language debate.
In India I've noticed that most people only hang out with people from their own state - while is the US nobody cares which state are you from (in the US).

Long story short, I'm happy that I've immigrated. There might be people who are not happy, but I'm not in that list.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th April 2018 at 22:09. Reason: Post fixed. Duplicate sentences, typos edited. Take the time to type out your posts, please. Thanks!
Old 16th July 2018, 18:01   #1292
BHPian

Cross posting from the 'Visa Advice' thread. Any input will be highly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
Hi guys! How does the German long term visa (for 2 years Masters) work?

My friend received his admission decision from the university 10 days back. Now after getting all the documents etc ready for the visa, VFS says there are no appointment slots available for submitting the application.

Last date for university enrolment in Germany (one needs to be there personally present) is 15 September.

Do travel/immigration agents make/hog a lot of dummy bookings? Can anyone point out some solutions? Never had this weird issue with UK study visa.

Thanks a lot.
Old 16th July 2018, 19:22   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Cross posting from the 'Visa Advice' thread. Any input will be highly appreciated.
If your friend could not get the appointment on time to start his Master's course, he can contact the university and ask if there is a possibility to start with the next semester. Normally most of the German universities have their Master's course starting either in the Summer semester or winter semester or both. So it might be of help if your friend can ask the university.
Old 17th July 2018, 18:38   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VFS has many centres where they accept applications. Has your friend tried getting an appointment in all possible VFS centres? My understanding is that he should be able to submit his application in any centre in India - not necessarily at the nearest centre and not even at the same centre he chose in the online application form. At least, this is what VFS informed me when I was trying to book Schengen (visiting) visa appointments for my parents.
Old 22nd October 2018, 13:50   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
The typical Indian is definitely friends with their maids/drivers/chaiwalla, etc. but I think that is superficial. I don't see any relationship etc being developed.
Unlike the western world, where it does not matter what your profession is. I guess, in the western world nobody cares what your profession is and what color you are.

And I don't even want to start on the state vs state and language vs language debate.
In India I've noticed that most people only hang out with people from their own state - while is the US nobody cares which state are you from (in the US).
I don't think what you have mentioned is debatable, however it needs to be seen in the context of how we evolved as a nation and a society. Lee Kuan Yew (founder of Singapore) said about India that it's actually dozens of separate countries, scattered along railway lines. Which makes it natural for people from one region to stick together. The term 'states' is apt for US, but is a misnomer for India. (That we are still managing well is a tiny miracle in itself).

And yes the class divide is too deeply entrenched, again a hangover from centuries of traditions and societal structures.

In that sense, the big advantage with US, Canada and Aus is simply due to modern day humans having 'discovered' these lands so late. Improvements in governance in any country no matter how well intended, will be insufficient in addressing this basic reality.

Last edited by avisidhu : 22nd October 2018 at 13:52.
Old 22nd October 2018, 14:41   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
In that sense, the big advantage with US, Canada and Aus is simply due to modern day humans having 'discovered' these lands so late
And the fact that they try to screen all possible immigrants in a strict way perhaps?
Old 22nd October 2018, 15:20   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
And the fact that they try to screen all possible immigrants in a strict way perhaps?
The definition of strict would be very ambiguous and fluid in this case no? US didn't allow any Asians till the 60's, Canada had similar restrictions for a long time. So things are quite liberal these days in that sense. US anyway has the huge border related problem so screened immigrants form a smaller percentage of the total annual flow.

And Canada seems to be having a reverse problem: highly educated migrants but not so many opportunities which gives rise to the "PhD Cab Driver" phenomena there.

Would be good to hear from people with more on the ground experience on this though.
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:57   #1298
BHPian

I just keep on thinking about the benefits why people look to move to Canada. Is the brutal weather and high taxes, better than having a good job back in India.

US I can understand with all the world class companies, and unmatched opportunities in career and jobs, everybody wants to go there.

In comparison, there are a very few big and good companies in Canada, the pay is lesser as well. I keep thinking there are more jobs and companies back home in India, then why do folks line up for that, is it just driven by interest to work in a developed country and social status in India?

A couple working good mid career jobs in India will almost save the same or more as in Canada. Can somebody on ground tell me some more info on this.

I am currently in US and trying to figure out the long term path for my family. Being a defense, my current company won't sponsor GC, but were open to sending me to there office in Montreal. I am torn between this and going back to the home branch in Bangalore - it's a tough spot to be in with growing kids !!
Old 22nd October 2018, 23:14   #1299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_123 View Post
I just keep on thinking about the benefits why people look to move to Canada. Is the brutal weather and high taxes, better than having a good job back in India.
I would hope people migrate to a country for more than the weather and tax.

Canada has always been a hugely popular destination for those that prefer a reasonable fair and just society for all. Those high taxes (actually they are not that different from USA) do ensure a quite reasonable welfare system. If you prefer to pay low tax and are ok that large parts of the population live in poverty, have no real access to proper health and education, countries such as India and the USA are for you!

On the other hand if you would prefer to live in a somewhat more balanced society where the good of society at large is part of the discussion rather than individual wealth Canada might do the trick.

Yes, the weather can be horrible, but the people are great and a much more balanced society. Which shows in things like health, happiness, outlook. In general liveability is considered better in Canada compared to the USA. But of course, that really depends on your personal preferences and outlook on life in general. USA is capitalism embodied. Canada is more a European Liberal Social society. Take your pick.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 00:09   #1300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I would hope people migrate to a country for more than the weather and tax.

Considering how much we pay for Health Insurance here, and the cost of education/daycare etc., the lower taxes of USA make sense only if you are in the ultra high income bracket.

That said, atleast in VLSI design etc., the Canadian salaries are much lower, so economically it is not very sensible.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd October 2018 at 00:12.
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:01   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just keep on thinking about the benefits why people look to move to Canada.
Canada and Australia you don't go through a long work permit -> permanent residency path. Based on the points you directly apply for residency. Canada being closer to US and sharing time zones, it would even work like an inter-company transfer like in your case.

Quote:
I am currently in US and trying to figure out the long term path for my family. Being a defense, my current company won't sponsor GC, but were open to sending me to there office in Montreal. I am torn between this and going back to the home branch in Bangalore - it's a tough spot to be in with growing kids !!
It would depend on whether you want to settle in India at the first place. Kids education (I think that's what you were concerned about) should not be a problem as long as they are not in high school yet where adjusting is tough and tad too late (such R2Is have happened too).
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:35   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
I !!
Hi, if you are in IT, even if it is testing, Canada will be better for salary and work life balance. You will be upper middle class or equivalent. Yes weather is brutal and the country is manly ie. you have to work really hard for a decent lifestyle.
There are different types of Indians. One type are the one who bring their Indian house maid to US. Other types are who treat their Indian house maid in India like they do in America or avoid a house maid in India. If you are the latter choose Canada you will not regret it.
Quebec is bilingual, even otherwise French is a part of Education system in Canada. Canada has some amazing outdoor life. Coming to India will be a cultural shock for many years.

Since I have been to CA, CA to the US is like Nepal is to India. But you are still in N. America.

https://qz.com/india/1329041/why-ind...rce=reddit.com
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:47   #1303
BHPian

Home is where our roots are, that said working abroad, and moving (immigration / Permanent residency) are totally two ends of the spectrum.

Giving everything up, (Including your career) especially at the other end of 40 is the worst decision one could make.

If your Job takes you to the west, or the east for that matter, do it by all means as your career is in the right progression path. But do not dissolve everything in the hopes of restarting your life (especially your career) after you hit middle age.

p.s Speaking out of experience, been working for the past 5 years in South east Asia. Its a cleaner, safer life...but will head home back to India when I am done.
Old 24th October 2018, 14:23   #1304
BHPian

Quote:

US I can understand with all the world class companies, and unmatched opportunities in career and jobs, everybody wants to go there.
Canada vs US: It's quite easy migrating to Canada based on the PR system. That pretty much sums it up for a majority.

Canada vs India: Lot of answers already given here. But a big one that either got missed, or maybe I attach undue importance to. The absolute mess that Urban India is, combined with climate change.

Cities down south are better, at least from pollution perspective. But I'm surprised why anyone North especially Delhi/NCR, would be ok living there for the rest of their lives. Combine this will the adulteration in most products we consume right from food to medicines. It is increasingly becoming a question of why someone would still want to live in India anymore.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm asking this as a genuine question and not being rhetorical, since it's been weighing on my mind heavily.

Last edited by avisidhu : 24th October 2018 at 14:26.
Old 24th October 2018, 22:08   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Considering how much we pay for Health Insurance here, and the cost of education/daycare etc., the lower taxes of USA make sense only if you are in the ultra high income bracket.
Cost of Health Insurance is some what compensated with the quality of service, also the lower taxes compensate for higher premiums. What cost of education are you referring to considering good public Education is free. Unless you are referring to college which is indeed expensive if you are planning for Ivy league or reputable ones.

I don't think you need to be UHI to have a comfortable life in US. Big cities ofcourse but then thats true globally.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks