Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2013, 08:28   #631
Senior - BHPian

re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Guys it's time that I decide schools to do an MBA in as my GMAT prep is on its final leg.

Personally, I'm not fond of US/Canada and Australia but I am quite fond of Europe and UK.

Any advice?

PS: I am looking into top ranked schools only. Nothing below top 50 worldwide
In case you have any plans of coming back to India after your MBA (not saying immediately but even in future) then its better to do MBA from a place that has lot of visibillity in Indian job market. The best places in Europe from that perspective are the likes sof LBS, INSEAD etc (in that order). In general US B schools have better image in India than others.

I can give an example why the return to India question is important. One of my seniors (BTech IITD, MS Stanford, 7 years work ex in a top tech company in US then MBA from INSEAD) got placed in Lehman Bros London after his MBA but unfortunately lost his job within 2 weeks of landing in London as Lehman collapsed. He had to come back to India as there were no jobs around there. In India also it took him more than 2 years to finally get a job here in India! It was stressful times for him (because of loan repayments etc and all)
Old 15th May 2013, 10:26   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh.machine View Post
Is that the one for OSM? One of my friends is there for sometime now and seems to be doing good. Will check with him further and let you know.
I did not understand what you meant by OSM!
It will be really helpful if you can check and update. Am planning to take my wife too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhu_Bengaluru View Post
One of my friends working for TESCO has been in South Korea for the past 3 years. The major hurdle he speaks about is language. Not many can speak English. The pay scale is pretty handsome. The cost of living is high, at least in the place where he stays. People are very hard working is what he says.
Yes, language is definitely a barrier, but my employer is providing me Korean language trainings. So I guess it will be OK after few months!

I am really not sure about the taxes and cost of living. Got different inputs and hence not able to decide if the salary am offered will be sufficient for both of us! Any inputs are highly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 15th May 2013, 11:32   #633
Senior - BHPian

Here is a summary of the last few pages:
1. BHPians in Singapore are getting bored after spending a few years (looks like 6 years is the current threshold). Reasons: Small country, no long drives, nothing to do.
2. Australia and Canada are still considered hot options.

When I spoke to my friend who has lived in both Canada and Australia (and now back in India after 8 years), he said:
1. Australia: Better climate, more expensive
2. Canada: Cheaper of the two, harsh weather, cheaper visa costs.

My wife's friend and her husband moved to Canada last year (there were in banking/ finance industry). They paid some consultant around 60K (over and above the normal charges/ fees). Now, they are back in India. Have not spoken to them directly but here is what I heard from my wife:
1. They were in Alberta and were unable to adjust.
2. The couple had different job timings. So personal life was getting unmanageable.
3. Financially they were still struggling somewhat.

Now, I am not trying to discourage anyone here, but just sharing some information so that everyone can make informed decisions. Some people can adapt to new environments more easily than others and some people have more patience than others.

Last edited by S_U_N : 15th May 2013 at 11:33.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:56   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
1. They were in Alberta and were unable to adjust. 2. The couple had different job timings. So personal life was getting unmanageable.
3. Financially they were still struggling somewhat.

Thanks for sharing.

I thought the grass on the other side is always green. Now I know that the grass on the other side could be covered with ice as well
Old 15th May 2013, 12:11   #635
BHPian

For people considering a move to Australia, you might want to read this. I am not sure how "authentic" it is and would like the members to comment if they have any information regarding this -

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-not-easy.html

Quote:
Finding good job not easy for skilled migrants in Australia: Study
Melbourne, May 14 , 2013, (PTI):

Securing a suitable employment can be a long, difficult and disappointing process for migrants coming to Australia, who often take up jobs that are low-paid and not commensurate to their skills, according to a new study led by an Indian-origin psychology professor.
Old 15th May 2013, 15:09   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post

INSEAD France - I know two people settled in UK who did their MBA from there.
Isn't France in recession? :(

How did they manage to go to INSEAD in France and then get a job in UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

In case you have any plans of coming back to India after your MBA (not saying immediately but even in future) then its better to do MBA from a place that has lot of visibillity in Indian job market. The best places in Europe from that perspective are the likes sof LBS, INSEAD etc (in that order). In general US B schools have better image in India than others.

I can give an example why the return to India question is important. One of my seniors (BTech IITD, MS Stanford, 7 years work ex in a top tech company in US then MBA from INSEAD) got placed in Lehman Bros London after his MBA but unfortunately lost his job within 2 weeks of landing in London as Lehman collapsed. He had to come back to India as there were no jobs around there. In India also it took him more than 2 years to finally get a job here in India! It was stressful times for him (because of loan repayments etc and all)
I'm planning on immigration and not coming back to India.
In worst case scenario, like the one you mentioned, I don't know what ill do.

Does anyone have an idea if I can stay back in France for a while post grad?

PS: one thing is for sure, I'm not staying back in/returning to India for a job or an MBA.
Old 15th May 2013, 16:07   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Isn't France in recession? :(

How did they manage to go to INSEAD in France and then get a job in UK?

I'm planning on immigration and not coming back to India.
In worst case scenario, like the one you mentioned, I don't know what ill do.

Does anyone have an idea if I can stay back in France for a while post grad?

PS: one thing is for sure, I'm not staying back in/returning to India for a job or an MBA.
I did my higher studies in France (though some time back, 2002-2004) and can give you some perspective though I might be out of date.

Generally speaking getting a job for a foreigner (non European) is pretty tough in France. There used to be a government diktat that companies have to first look in France for a suitable candidate, and then in Europe and then only they can look elsewhere to fill a vacant position (with justification) which means lots of headache/paperwork for them. This can be a big problem at times if unemployment rate is high enough though there will be times when things are better and its not big issue. Another big issue is language. You will need to be conversant enough (or an expert) in French if you want to work in France. Very very important if you want jobs in marketing or consulting. Not so important for finance.

I would advise UK based schools if Europe is your destination.

Last edited by joslicx : 15th May 2013 at 16:10.
Old 15th May 2013, 16:43   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

I did my higher studies in France (though some time back, 2002-2004) and can give you some perspective though I might be out of date.

Generally speaking getting a job for a foreigner (non European) is pretty tough in France. There used to be a government diktat that companies have to first look in France for a suitable candidate, and then in Europe and then only they can look elsewhere to fill a vacant position (with justification) which means lots of headache/paperwork for them. This can be a big problem at times if unemployment rate is high enough though there will be times when things are better and its not big issue. Another big issue is language. You will need to be conversant enough (or an expert) in French if you want to work in France. Very very important if you want jobs in marketing or consulting. Not so important for finance.

I would advise UK based schools if Europe is your destination.
Thanks for the view point

I have started learning French at Alliance Francais de Delhi.
Hopefully by the time the course starts (if in France) I will be at an advanced intermediate level or a little higher. Rest I would hope to learn there.
So that might be one thing hurdle crossed.

I asked my friend who is doing MS at Gernoble and she said the the selection process, as you mentioned, still exists and she also said UK is much more friendly in employment scenario than France.
It's strange to me as I had a different picture in my head and thought Europe was better than UK. While now I hear the opposite.

INSEAD and HEC are few of the best schools in Europe. There are IE, ESADE & IESE in Spain but the country's economy is in the crapper. And besides them there is IMD Switzerland, school. Is brilliant but the country is not friendly in terms of jobs for foreigners.

That's what I heard. Not much info on UK from an MBA perspective though I have info from MS point of view.
Old 15th May 2013, 18:07   #639
BHPian

Hey everyone!

I will be joining Schulich to do my MBA on Jan 2014 (got into Univ of Manitoba but dropped it). I'm wearing braces and based on the current scenario I will have to complete 6 months of my treatment in Toronto.
My question is will I be able to continue my treatment there?
Will the medical insurance cover the costs?

Moderators: Please move to the appropriate thread if you feel so.
Old 15th May 2013, 18:49   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
Hey everyone!

I will be joining Schulich to do my MBA on Jan 2014 (got into Univ of Manitoba but dropped it). I'm wearing braces and based on the current scenario I will have to complete 6 months of my treatment in Toronto.

Congratulations!!

You will have to wait for 5-6 months before you become eligible for Ontario Health Insurance Program:

Quote:
Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). Generally, to be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must :

•be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and
•be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
•be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
•make your primary place of residence in Ontario.
Source: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/
Old 15th May 2013, 20:16   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Congrats! I am not sure about you student health plan but the OHIP (provincial medical insurance) does not cover dental treatment. It kicks in after 3 months of stay and not 5-6 months as Amitoj mentioned.
Quote:
OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario
Edit: Looks like the YorkU Studnt Health plan will not pay a lot for your procedure: Plan Booklet
Quote:
Endodontics and Major Services: You pay 90%
Old 15th May 2013, 21:26   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Congratulations!!

You will have to wait for 5-6 months before you become eligible for Ontario Health Insurance Program:
Quote:
Congrats! I am not sure about you student health plan but the OHIP (provincial medical insurance) does not cover dental treatment. It kicks in after 3 months of stay and not 5-6 months as Amitoj mentioned.

Edit: Looks like the YorkU Studnt Health plan will not pay a lot for your procedure:
Thanks a bunch for the wishes and thanks for the reply. It feels awesome to be accepted into Schulich

@mohit the York link was great.

Can I assume that each dentist visit will cost me max of CAD 50. Worst case scenario I can keep aside about CAD 500 for the remainder of the treatment (they need to be tightened only).
Old 15th May 2013, 22:39   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the wishes and thanks for the reply. It feels awesome to be accepted into Schulich

@mohit the York link was great.

Can I assume that each dentist visit will cost me max of CAD 50. Worst case scenario I can keep aside about CAD 500 for the remainder of the treatment (they need to be tightened only).
I am not sure if that's the case. Dentistry is in general very expensive here and I don't think your insurance will cover any of the expenses. Even if they do, it'll only be 10%.

I just picked a random clinic in the area - call/email them and find out how much it'll cost per visit.
http://www.keeleandfinchdentaloffice.com/index.html
Old 15th May 2013, 23:31   #644
BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure if that's the case. Dentistry is in general very expensive here and I don't think your insurance will cover any of the expenses. Even if they do, it'll only be 10%.

I just picked a random clinic in the area - call/email them and find out how much it'll cost per visit.
http://www.keeleandfinchdentaloffice.com/index.html
Thanks mohit. I've already emailed them waiting for their response. Thanks again
Old 17th May 2013, 21:32   #645
BHPian

Just wondering why no mention of Newzealand immigration - is it because of rarity of IT jobs or recession in general or anything else.whatever ads that come to my inbox from the consultants mention australia and newzealand but Australia seems to be the most preferred - anyone can clarify ?

Last edited by KPGB : 17th May 2013 at 22:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks