Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2024, 12:26   #2821
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
To all those contemplating or in path of immigrating to foreign lands: what is it that you really hate about India that made you decide to leave?
As other people have said earlier, hate is a strong word for the sentiment but let me take a stab at it as well.
I spent a couple of years in Japan and a couple of years in England, both of these long-ish excursions changed me as a person. The assertiveness and borderline aggression that is necessary in India, simply isn't required to get anything done there.
For me, the linchpin for this discussion is the low value for human life, and the corruption in the system. And it's not dealt with only when applying for a passport every 10 years, it's a daily occurrence, look at the roads we travel on, the piles of garbage we cross, the quality of infrastructure we build, the policemen we 'fear'. And the 'culture' we brag about, doesn't hold a candle to the kind of daily road rage, or physical intimidation, or sexual predation, among others.
A person with clout and monies can get away with financial embezzlement, tax aversion, rape or even murder, that's just the baabu culture that we have promoted for decades and decades, and it isn't going away anytime soon.
As a hard-working tax paying citizen, I don't despise the taxes I pay, I despise how little how everyone else gets away with.

Given a realistic chance, I wouldn't want to raise my kid amongst such an atmosphere and values. Anyone not contemplating emigration is either constrained, which I completely and totally understand, or is in a loop of myopic self-righteousness.
Deamon0508 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 13:01   #2822

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Emigrating to a foreign land for a long duration of time (for work or study) is completely perspective based. Many people find going to foreign land a very good opportunity to earn money, the amount which can never be earned in India in a certain period of time.

However, for those who have well settled jobs in India or well settled family business then those people would never find fulfilling to live in a foreign land for a long period of time. Initial days will be fun because of travelling, exploring new places, meeting new people, partying with people from all around the world. Then after the initial phase its nothing but missing friends, family, home, food & speaking our mother tongue. Hence, single person moving to a foreign country who does not have the necessity to make money in less duration of time must always give it a second thought and can just travel as tourist rather than relocating for a longer period of time.
Anotherone666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 13:16   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
To all those contemplating or in path of immigrating to foreign lands: what is it that you really hate about India that made you decide to leave?
Not so openly talked about yet plausible reason. I have seen this happen to multiple friends and they have decided to settle abroad.

1. Husband and Wife could not get along with respective in-laws. Even though they stayed in different cities than in-laws, extended visits during Summer(unbearable heat in their hometown being the excuse), occasional visit to spend time with family, festivals and functions resulted in lot of friction. When not visiting, even simple things as phone calls resulted in tension at home for my friend and spouse. They had to get away from in-laws and extended family for peace of mind. This motivated them to relocate and settle in New Zealand. They seem happy and during my conversation mention that clean air, good roads, friendly people are new items added to Motivation List. Income wise, it was good during initial days due to exchange value but it is no longer attractive. Reason being low hike YOY, rising cost of living and the No Clear Career Progression Path

2. Couple had issues because in-laws were in involved in constant one-upmanship to prove they were Well Off Financially. This took a hit on the couple's sanity and they relocated to Germany along with kids. Wife had to quit the job but they accepted the fact and adapted to German lifestyle. Kids are happy, wife found a job in supermarket that keeps her happy. They have good stream of income from investments in India so they are not too worried about income part

There are atleast 3 more such instances that I am aware of. So yeah, this might be one of the reasons
akhil_007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 15:01   #2824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I feel the right thing to do is to take a hybrid approach to have the best of both worlds and not commit to any single country permanently.
Thank you for you reply. Now this is interesting. This line of thought and way of life makes more sense. This is akin to the saying never put all your eggs in one basket.
IMHO, it's very simple. As someone who grew up in India, if you wish to live a life with the least amount of compromises, I feel it's makes a lot of sense to have India in your future plans. You may not appreciate all the intangibles in India when you are in your 20s and 30s but it won't be long before you wish you hadn't cut the umbilical cord.

Chapter 1. Go abroad for higher studies and early work years - fabulous period to be abroad for pleasure and profit.
Chapter 2. Be in India when kids start school and till they reach grade 12 - if you don't over stress them about academic performance, they'll have a blast - full of friends and close family members. Elders enjoy company of kids a lot.
Chapter 3. Depending on the age of your parents, what your children wish to do - you can review your options and live in the country that best suits you.
Chapter 4. Camp near grandchildren in whatever country they are in. Circle of life, kind of.

I'm not patriotic by any stretch of imagination and consider myself an opportunist. To portray India as a country of rapes, corruption, pollution, etc. that must be escaped from shows a lack of appreciation for a country that's an entire world unto itself. You find a corner in the world that is the most oppressive, the most dangerous, the most underdeveloped, the most opulent, the most beautiful or the most cheerful, chances are you will find a close enough match in India. As a brown skinned person, that's hardly welcome anywhere no matter how affluent I become, I consider fortunate to belong to this country. Not for patriotic reasons, but I get access to all the incredible things this country has. Being a well-to-do Indian in India is the next best thing to be a white European in Europe I think. I would love to be in Europe but only as a local white person.

Last edited by androdev : 13th September 2024 at 15:03.
androdev is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks