Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2023, 17:45   #2431
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Yeah quite sure.

One of my family members just got her ILR after being on a Company sponsored Visa for 5 years (think it was Tier 2 General COS).
Virtualaman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 15:15   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Are you sure it takes 5 years in the UK to get PR? I heard it is 10 years for all non-medic staff, including IT professionals.
It depends on your visa category. Tier 2 visa gets ILR in 5 yrs.

There is a category called global talent which can get you ILR in 3 yrs also.
deeps79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 12:22   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I heard it is 10 years for all non-medic staff, including IT professionals.
Many of my friends who migrated as IT professionals got the ILR in 5 to 6 years of time and soon after the coveted UK Passport.
Old 21st December 2023, 18:56   #2434
BHPian

Friends, I recently got an opportunity that requires me and my wife plus a small kid to relocate to Spain (Malaga). I have been thinking about it, have been going through forums to get a better understanding of what I am signing up for. I read a few posts where our members have been to spain for travel, I request assistance with the below -

I am offered 65k Euro, how is the cost of living, any things that I should be aware of, pros/cons?
indie_honda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 08:52   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie_honda View Post
Friends, I recently got an opportunity that requires me and my wife plus a small kid to relocate to Spain (Malaga). I have been thinking about it, have been going through forums to get a better understanding of what I am signing up for. I read a few posts where our members have been to spain for travel, I request assistance with the below -

I am offered 65k Euro, how is the cost of living, any things that I should be aware of, pros/cons?
I am assuming this is gross and taxes will be applicable which is hefty in EU. If you make anything more than 23-25 LPA gross in India, the pay offered to you in Spain will not buy you the same standard of living that you have in India. Negotiate for a higher package and add ons like a deposit for renting a place, a settlement allowance to furnish the house etc.

There is a high housing crunch in the West and i don't think Spain will be an exception
hothatchaway is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 12:05   #2436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The media. Income in Spain is about 27K. In general Spain is considered to be a European country with relative cheap living. Food and drink are quite cheap compared to other European countries.

Malaga is an attractive town, with a climate not entirely different from Delhi. Blazing hot summers, some humid periods and very mild winters.

I would urge you to get in touch with some expat groups who should be able to give you a better view of what to expect housing wise and some idea about your salary. It is not just taxes you will need to pay. There are social security, pension, health insurance, local taxes, just to name a few. You need to check what the special tax rules are when it comes to expats. Most EU countries have them, but they are all different.

E.g. something like this https://www.internations.org/malaga-expats/indians

Although these days you can get by with English in all Spanish major towns, it really helps to speak a bit of Spanish.

I for one, would not mind living in Malaga/Spain for a couple of years. Nice country!

Good luck, let us know what you decide

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 14:36   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
I am assuming this is gross and taxes will be applicable which is hefty in EU. If you make anything more than 23-25 LPA gross in India, the pay offered to you in Spain will not buy you the same standard of living that you have in India. Negotiate for a higher package and add ons like a deposit for renting a place, a settlement allowance to furnish the house etc.
Thank you for the quick response, I appreciate it. Yes the amount is gross and taxes will be applicable. I pushed but maybe not whole heartedly because of an onsite opportunity. I will definitely discuss around the deposit or furnishing cost, thank you so much.
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:23   #2438
BANNED

Quote:
Below link summarises the taxation part

https://taxsummaries.pwc.com/spain/i...ersonal-income

Generally EU have high taxes. Be careful of cost of living part though as Rentals have increased a lot post covid. Would suggest to speak to other colleagues onsite in same location to get a better idea than relying on expat forums.
.sushilkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2023, 16:30   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
Friends, I recently got an opportunity that requires me and my wife plus a small kid to relocate to Spain (Malaga). I am offered 65k Euro, how is the cost of living, any things that I should be aware of, pros/cons?
Hi

Congrats on the opportunity.

Some things I considered when calculating my living cost for a planned move to UK: 1) Rent, 2) Education; 3) Insurance; 4) Annual trips; 5) Transportation; 6) Power/Elec cost

Suggest you also connect with some expat forum that may give additional information and also check out sites that give comparative livings costs (though they may not be always accurate and/or fully applicable to you).

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
I don't know about the others, but I will mention that it's pretty rough out here in Australia.
Hi

Permit me to share a few experiences from my time in Australia (2008); am a UniMelb grad and PG.

1) A blunt statement I heard from a recruitment consultant back then was that why would an Aussie firm hire you if they are able to get a local with similar skill sets?

2) Resultantly, we started to identify factors / qualifications that gave us an edge over a local - be it additional degree, qualifications or experience.

3) We looked for jobs outside the metro cities. This as you rightly and importantly pointed helped us get a local job on CV, thus making it easy to get back to the metros and the next job.

4) We also considered exploring jobs in NZ as moving between the countries was easy then.

5) We attended a few conferences from a pure networking point of view. But luckily that also landed me a job as I was presenting a paper (part of PhD) that caught the eye of an employer.

6) Public sector used to be easy then, but then am sure you might have already explored the same.

7) For part time, we were lucky to get a tutorial/lecturing role in the university. It paid far better than the minimum wages then.

Hope that helps. All the best!

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd December 2023 at 17:39. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Multi Quote feature where appropriate. Some clean up changes on abbreviations as well.
LiveLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 23:00   #2440
BHPian

Quote:

One of my close friend recently moved to U.K after spending 9years in Spain (near Barcelona).

65K euro is damn good for Spain in general, more so in Malaga which is relatively cheaper.
You need to plan how long you want to stay there because after a point when it would come to your kids education you need to deal with Spanish schools, English schooling is quite expensive (main reason my friend moved out).
Gaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 23:17   #2441
BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable inputs, @Gaur may I ask a favour and request you to please help me with the contact details for this friend (if he is willing to guide me around some doubts I have)?
indie_honda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 15:00   #2442
BHPian

Hey,

Anyone residing in Abu Dhabi or know people settled there? Have some doubts which I would like to clear before taking the decision to move.

Please DM.

Thanks,
KD007
Old 8th January 2024, 17:00   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Anyone residing in Abu Dhabi or know people settled there?
Hi,

I have been in UAE since 2020. Let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th January 2024 at 17:48. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
LiveLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 11:46   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLife View Post
Hi,

I have been in UAE since 2020. Let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks
Can't PM you. Have emailed. Thanks.
Old 10th January 2024, 16:28   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Can't PM you. Have emailed. Thanks.
Hi

Didnt get your mail

Regards

Most Viewed