Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If planning to emigrate or have already emigrated to a foreign land, what is the main reason?
Better career opportunities and/or higher salary 11 18.03%
Better infrastructure (roads, clean air, low crime etc) 20 32.79%
Worried about India's future from kids' PoV (communal strife, education reservations etc) 17 27.87%
Did not plan / just went with the flow 9 14.75%
Other 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2023, 01:26   #2311
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
but the outlook when it comes to quality of life and employment (apart from gig jobs) has generally been negative from the recent migrants.
I beg to disagree. Think thats an over simplification and generalization that this thread has suffered from.

I am also a recent immigrant and our experience was not negative. I think the noise is more so from people who have not found an easy integration vs people who have integrated well and are busy enjoying their lives in Canada. Negativity sells....gets lots of views on Youtube.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 12:48   #2312
BHPian

Did anyone return to India after completing their Masters in the USA or any other country? Asking because I have seen a few people returning to India as soon as they complete their Masters and few people stayed back after Masters with the intention of working in abroad.

Also, I recently moved to USA in August to pursue my Masters in Business Analytics and my course duration is just 16 months. As soon as I complete my Masters here in USA, I intend to return to India for good and look after my family business or I might be working here in India. But, I think of staying in USA for few years by working here and then return to India for good.

And, the course I'm pursuing comes under OPT, where I can work in USA for 3 years in order to obtain the H1 visa.
car_guy1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 13:06   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Did anyone return to India after completing their Masters in the USA or any other country? Asking because I have seen a few people returning to India as soon as they complete their Masters and few people stayed back after Masters with the intention of working in abroad.

Also, I recently moved to USA in August to pursue my Masters in Business Analytics and my course duration is just 16 months. As soon as I complete my Masters here in USA, I intend to return to India for good and look after my family business or I might be working here in India. But, I think of staying in USA for few years by working here and then return to India for good.

And, the course I'm pursuing comes under OPT, where I can work in USA for 3 years in order to obtain the H1 visa.
Not sure about the forum here but I know a few personally and there are many who do so. The reasons vary - family business (too big to do a 'job'), family commitments in India, lack of good opportunities in US after graduation (recession), or simply getting a good opportunity here (senior position or entrepreneurship) and last but very obvious (for myself) - lifestyle in US v/s life style in India. Don't need to look at what others are doing I guess. You can decide based on your gut feeling and the opportunities available to you post graduation.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 13:26   #2314
BHPian

Well I can say in all truthfulness that my decision to move to Australia has been the most rewarding and wonderful experience that has ever happened to me and my family. It was sad to see a lot of negativity at play in some of the posts, but this I can vouch for - If you're a person with little to no ego, flexible, has good morals, upright, agreeable, then you definitely would thrive pretty much anywhere in this world!

Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2023 at 12:38. Reason: No need to insult those who don't agree with you.
LaRoca is online now   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 15th October 2023, 13:34   #2315
GTE
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRoca View Post
Well I can say in all truthfulness that my decision to move to Australia has been the most rewarding and wonderful experience that has ever happened to me and my family. It was sad to see a lot of negativity and phony 'patriotism' at play in some of the posts, but this I can vouch for - If you're a person with little to no ego, flexible, has good morals, upright, agreeable, then you definitely would thrive pretty much anywhere in this world!

Cheers!
It is called quiet quitting. The number has gone up exponentially in the last 10 years. Earlier the age was significantly lower mainly students who would stay on. Now the average age is much higher. Good for you!

Last edited by Samurai : 15th October 2023 at 14:09. Reason: edited quoted part
Old 16th October 2023, 02:27   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Not sure about the forum here but I know a few personally and there are many who do so. The reasons vary - family business (too big to do a 'job'), family commitments in India, lack of good opportunities in US after graduation (recession), or simply getting a good opportunity here (senior position or entrepreneurship) and last but very obvious (for myself) - lifestyle in US v/s life style in India. Don't need to look at what others are doing I guess. You can decide based on your gut feeling and the opportunities available to you post graduation.
Thanks for the input.

Also, I've seen people pursuing double Masters here in order to obtain an H1 or H1(B) visa.
Old 16th October 2023, 06:17   #2317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post

I notice you are a young person and it seems genuinely seeking inputs. Hence, I am chiming in for what it is worth. I am in the category of those who did a Masters (my second) from a US University and chose to return to India immediately. I did not have a family business to return to. I just wanted to devote my professional energies in this country for this country and build my career here- but that is just me - it is not a route for everyone - I just happen to be a nationalist to my khadi buttonholes.

It would be useful to work three to five years in USA in a firm of repute and get some exposure to their ways of working and learn the professionalism that their system has. I certainly learnt a lot, a lot, dealing with American companies like Boeing, Pratt & Whitney etc. I loved learning their methods and ways of working. It will also help you to become an international citizen who can equally comfortably work in the American environment as well as in the rough and tumble of the Indian environment. This is what I tell my kids - be an international world citizen who can straddle the India-America bridge which I believe over the next 50 years will only increase in depth and importance. Don't become one of those Indian immigrants who on one hand sneer at India (as some do) but can't figure out how to work in India successfully because by habit and attitude they have lost that skill. Far too many of my wife's and my batch mates who migrated to USA in 1980s fall into that category - they are not particularly successful or integrated in USA and their roots in India have withered too.

My very best wishes to you.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 16th October 2023 at 06:26.
V.Narayan is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 03:15   #2318
BHPian

Re: Indians slaves in Malta

Agents in India and Indian agents in Europe are getting Indians for a fee of 500,000 INR for "work" in the EU. They are being scammed thinking it is just a formality and that they can move on to other EU countries. Norway is mentioned a lot.

In Malta they are put to hard work similar to what happens in the Middle East for long hours and little pay. Some have contacted me after I warned people on a page a trafficker uses to find clients. You find him in youtube as Namaste Poland. One guy I talk with has had only 4 days of work in 2 months and he is not able to sustain himself. Neither has he the funds to return to India.

There are about 100,000 Indians dumped in Malta and they are being abused with no rights, mostly from Kerala.

In Malta they are offered accomodation for 300 euros a bed, with 4 beds in a room. The only private space is their beds. I am trying to have this Namaste guy arrested in Hungary where the maximum is 20 years. In Norway they get off with a slap on the wrist and a warning.

My friend Wilson, a Singaporean Indian has been in remand for 3 years now for trafficking

I reported Namaste to the Norwegian Police and they have not even got in touch with me. He is still advertising in Instagram, youtube and facebook.
I contacted him in Whatsapp but he does not answer as he sees my telephone number.
Can someone help to trap this crook? Indians are borrowing money to make it to Malta.
Indian2003 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 12:49   #2319
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone help me with information on some agencies I can get in touch with for immigration to Netherlands?

My fiance and soon to be wife works there and I will be applying for a partner visa after we get married in December. It would be amazing if I could get a job before I land there so I could use the 30% ruling too and save on taxes.

I have 8 years of Product Management experience with lot of innovation and success stories on this journey.

The idea is to get a job there and build a corpus for mom's cancer treatment.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 13:48   #2320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post

There are about 100,000 Indians dumped in Malta and they are being abused with no rights, mostly from Kerala.

Not at all surprised by this. This has become sort of epidemic in Kerala. Contrarily I think there is no scam happening here. The so called victims are very well aware of the illegality and pitfalls in such visa arrangements. Unfortunately it has become a craze among youngsters and even middle aged to move out by hook or crook. These guys are not thinking straight. The struggle they have to undergo and money they make will be far less than even in a state like Kerala. But this is simple FOMO at work here.

Some of these guys have big homes and vast estates in Kerala. But grass is always green on other side. Once they go to countries like UK, Canada, wider EU etc they will be confined to dormitories and filthy living conditions. All they say for better future. But they were already having a better life in Kerala. They are willing to migrate to even third world places like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Georgia etc
poloman is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 14:55   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone help to trap this crook? Indians are borrowing money to make it to Malta.
Try contacting Kairali TV, a Malayalam TV channel. They used to run a program where they helped find and return migrants stuck in the middle east.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 15:04   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Not at all surprised by this.
They are willing to migrate to even third-world places like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Georgia etc
A couple of my distant nephews and their friends went to Canada and the European Union after the 12th for name-sake diploma courses. After the same, some of them are working in care homes, and hotels and some are training to become truck drivers.
They are not lower middle class by any account, they have rubber estates, commercial properties, private buses and even elephants( am not joking). Compared to them am earning peanuts in corporate but they all are leaving India.
Maybe a Gen-Z phenomenon or the effect of Instagram shorts, there is a large migration of youth happening in Kerala.
greyhound82 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 15:08   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
In Malta they are put to hard work similar to what happens in the Middle East for long hours and little pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Not at all surprised by this. This has become sort of epidemic in Kerala. Contrarily I think there is no scam happening here.
Do all of them have no money to buy a return ticket?

Are their passports held by the employers? If yes, is that legal in Malta? If no, then I guess they are happy doing those menial jobs than come back home and do nothing here
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 15:31   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Do all of them have no money to buy a return ticket?

Are their passports held by the employers? If yes, is that legal in Malta? If no, then I guess they are happy doing those menial jobs than come back home and do nothing here
The guy I have most contact with has his passport. His work permit however is for a particular employer. He talks a lot about going back to India to nothing. He has a wife and 2 kids there. I dont think he is from a low class family in India. They covered his flight to Malta and he talks about contacting his family for money.
I have been asked by distant relatives to help them move to Norway. Some of them are graduates and they are willing to work at a car wash for a «better future»

I tell them not to go and that life will be very hard as they will need a support system to manage for a few months at least.

Maltese people are racists. They say they dont want to rent to Indians because of the «bad smell» left by the food. Indians are the new intouchables in Malta.
An Indian lady who owns a house there is doing the same thing to other Indians. I saw her ad online.

I have been calling Namaste a scammer in youtube but I see that no one takes notice.
Indian2003 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 15:44   #2325
BHPian

Quote:
The guy I have most contact with has his passport. His work permit however is for a particular employer. He talks a lot about going back to India to nothing. He has a wife and 2 kids there. I dont think he is from a low class family in India. They covered his flight to Malta and he talks about contacting his family for money.
I have been asked by distant relatives to help them move to Norway. Some of them are graduates and they are willing to work at a car wash for a «better future»

I tell them not to go and that life will be very hard as they will need a support system to manage for a few months at least.

Maltese people are racists. They say they dont want to rent to Indians because of the «bad smell» left by the food. Indians are the new intouchables in Malta.
An Indian lady who owns a house there is doing the same thing to other Indians. I saw her ad online.

I have been calling Namaste a scammer in Youtube but I see that no one takes notice.
Not to demean someone's' sufferings but this sounds like a cry baby case, nothing more. For them being Abroad is simply the passport to a better life. Their societal value shall increase when they are abroad, you see. Hence this seems like an excuse to shift to Norway for the supposedly 'better life' which they have at home anyway. Norway is after all a better brand than Malta.

I bet many would have enough money to go back home but are not doing so because they don't want to.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks