Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If planning to emigrate or have already emigrated to a foreign land, what is the main reason?
Better career opportunities and/or higher salary 11 17.46%
Better infrastructure (roads, clean air, low crime etc) 22 34.92%
Worried about India's future from kids' PoV (communal strife, education reservations etc) 17 26.98%
Did not plan / just went with the flow 9 14.29%
Other 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2023, 19:22   #2011
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Posting on behalf of my buddy whom I know for 20 years.
100K salary with family will be lot of struggle. Please bear in mind, there will be tax which will be deducted. There will be no savings on this salary. I think it will be a mistake to move with family. For a single member, it's good enough

Last edited by aah78 : 11th April 2023 at 23:12. Reason: Quote trimmed.
grshnehete is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 21:12   #2012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post

1. Current salary(hubby+wife) updwards of 60 lakhs in India
2. Its a company transfer for wife. Approx CAD 100K salary
3. Husband has got Open Work Permit. Need to search for job once landing in Canada
If you're earning a 100K CAD salary, expect to pay about 30-35% in taxes depending on the province you're moving to. In Toronto, apartment rentals are exorbitant, ranging from 3500-5000 CAD. After factoring in rent and taxes, there won't be much left over.

Both partners would need to work to make ends meet, which also means additional costs for childcare - another major expense. Given your current circumstances, it appears that you would be better off staying in India.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 10:02   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
My wife has an offer to relocate to their Porto, Portugal office.
We would like to know about the educational options and challenges that our kid could face. We don't even know at what stage of the academic year he might have to move.
I was researching on this a while ago. Some pointers
- Porto is cheaper than Lisbon where housing eats up most of your salary.
- Portugal’s education system is mixed, with both public and private institutions providing education from kindergarten through to higher education.
- Public education is free with the exception of universities, for which you have to pay a relatively small fee.

Couple of websites you might find useful
https://www.william-russell.com/blog...ving-portugal/
https://www.internations.org/portuga...uide/education

Last edited by aah78 : 11th April 2023 at 23:13. Reason: Quote trimmed.
denzdm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 12:22   #2014
BHPian

Hello Everybody,
I will be relocating to New York City in August this year to start my masters and I was wondering if there are any members of the community living there, who I can DM to clarify some doubts I have and ask for some help.

Mods if this is the wrong thread, please merge with the right one

Regards
Shiftlock

Last edited by aah78 : 11th April 2023 at 23:16. Reason: Fixed.
Old 6th April 2023, 17:06   #2015
BHPian

Dear Members,

Let me be candid and start by saying - I never read or thought of reading this thread ever. Maybe it was because of my career path, or that I was unable to clear the exams for the services that I just didn't do it. And to my fate and irony, I write this post when I am in the US.

But - as they say - here I am.

To introduce myself, I am a qualified lawyer, who is in the corporate side of things - working for IT companies - for the last 13 years. I have been based in Hyderabad from the day I started work in 2009. Married with 2 beautiful angels and happy with life. Kids have made it to a good school in Hyderabad, in Classes 4 and LKG. Better half is a qualified teacher and my pillar of support as a homemaker. My Father is a retired PSU senior executive, Mother is a homemaker in a different part of Hyderabad, are fully independent (Financially and Emotionally) and married sister is in Chennai. From better half's side, only her younger Brother is there is Hyderabad and is also married. I do not have any immovable assets on my or better half's name, except for my Truck and a TVS Jupiter.

Due to work pressure in my current workplace - where I head the Legal team, I decided to travel to the HO in Orlando, FL for a month during FY ending. There was only one aim - let everyone work peacefully. I tried to manage quarter endings and FY endings from India for almost 5 years, but now became apparent that this is not working practical as my team and I were working 24*5 during these times.

Here comes the kicker - upon coming here, my Management decided that I am of more use to them in the HO than Hyderabad, considering that I am the Legal Head, and part of the decision making process and gave me two options -
1. Either come every quarter ending to make it easier on everyone to do business, or
2. They ask me to relocate to the US - via the L1A Priority processing intercompany transfer Visa along with my family on L1 dependant visa. They will also start my GC process within a couple of months of me reaching there.

Upon checking with our visa team, they mentioned that it would take 6 - 8 weeks for petition approval, and another 20 days for visa stamping. So practically, by mid June, we would have our visas in hand.

I never was yearning or wishing for this sort of a move, but the fact that the Company wants me here means that I have earned that respect with the Company. They are willing to get my GC approved also means that they want me to be here.

Below are my points of dilemma -
1. If I don't move here, I continue working from Hyderabad and burn myself and my family out every quarter ending.
2. If I come here every quarter ending, then it is travel every two months, and I just don't see that happening. The current month away from family has been tough on all of us, and I just can't do that.
3. Option of hiring a local person in US is not possible, as I continue to be Legal Head, and have the decision making authority.
4. A job change in the current market is not possible due to my experience, designation, and fact that I want to stay in Hyderabad.
5. If I move to the US, it would be drastic and dynamic shift. While I know my family and I can handle it, it might be very difficult.

All I ask for from the members is guidance whether moving over is going to the best choice to make on the long run, as I absolutely love this job and want to continue this role - without compromising on my family at all. I totally know that the shift is too drastic, and will be tough on all of us initially, but on the longer run, would it be best for us.

Let me know your thoughts.
LegalEagle is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 17:47   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
All I ask for from the members is guidance whether moving over is going to the best choice to make on the long run, as I absolutely love this job and want to continue this role - without compromising on my family at all. I totally know that the shift is too drastic, and will be tough on all of us initially, but on the longer run, would it be best for us.

If I was in your situation, i would have packed my bags and run as fast as i could. I have many of my school friends in the USA right now who have settled down and advanced intellectual wise, career wise and financially wise. There are many valid reasons why the US is considered one of the best countries in the world with exposure to both latest trends and the chance to have a much better quality of living.

Do google about how many Indians have lost their lives while trying to illegally enter the USA in search of a better life from Canada and Mexico

While India has many opportunities as well, do keep in mind that quality of life here will always be average, infrastructure either poor or average, safety a question mark, pollution increasing and the great Indian runaround when it comes to doing business. If you are OK to live with all this, stay back. I would personally prefer my children to have a much better quality of life and exposure abroad in a first world country.

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 6th April 2023 at 17:49.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 18:02   #2017
BHPian

Quote:

Having been on both sides, I find life in US over-hyped. If you are earning well the quality of life in India is actually better. But you need to be careful about your health and avoid burn out. That is non-negotiable. If your health is getting affected by staying in India then move to USA by all means, else stay put. Ofcourse I am assuming your family is ok with either of your choices.
JediKnight is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 18:20   #2018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
If you are earning well the quality of life in India is actually better. But you need to be careful about your health and avoid burn out. That is non-negotiable.
I would suggest same thing as JediKnight as suggested in his post and would emphasize on the quoted text of his above. While moving to US , you will switch from a double income family to single income one so you have to factor that in. If your salary matches to what you both put together were earning in India even then you lose out (being close to family, convenience of help when needed, cheaper medical care etc). I would only suggest to move if perks provided are substantially better in US and you can also get an option of moving back if needed.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 18:27   #2019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Let me be candid and start by saying - I never read or thought of reading this thread ever. Maybe it was because of my career path, or that I was unable to clear the exams for the services that I just didn't do it. And to my fate and irony, I write this post when I am in the US. <---> All I ask for from the members is guidance whether moving over is going to the best choice to make on the long run, as I absolutely love this job and want to continue this role - without compromising on my family at all. I totally know that the shift is too drastic, and will be tough on all of us initially, but on the longer run, would it be best for us.

Dear @LegalEagle,

I'll put in a word of caution before I start with my inputs to you. First thank you for your post. You are just a little older than my eldest so bear in mind my perspective comes from a different point of view than most others who are at a different stage in life.

So here goes...

There are two separate opportunities here which should not be mixed up with each other.

The first is a real well deserved opportunity to be posted to USA in a senior position within your company and significantly enhance your professional and personal exposure. This exposure will only enrich you as a more international professional, with skills of navigating your way in a Western culture too. Working there for 5 to 7 years will only serve to strengthen your resume. For a brown skin USA is a merit based society where careers go. Culturally, outside the work environment, you will go through your own throes and challenges of figuring it out. Way too many first generation Indians never figure it out as I observe with my batch mates.

Second opportunity is of emigrating there which is where your green card comes in. Don't rush into it. Wait a year or two and see your nuclear family's degree of comfort then decide. Evaluate how your wife and you will cope with ageing parents when they get to their '70s. After living there think through how comfortable you will be with your kids growing up there as teenagers. Also life there is structured differently where informal social support goes, be it domestic help or parents to lean on when kiddo is unwell or friendliness of your neighbours etc.

Too many young Indians rush to the US for the money, - fair enough. Many think it is a better quality of life - higher income in most cases but that does not proportionately translate to better quality of life - people mix the two up. The city you are going to be located in will make a difference of night and day - cost of accommodation, commute, social warmth etc.

Also, advice I give to my kids - your career will span the forthcoming 30 to 35 years. In this respect I choose to ignore the 'India sucks' brigade. It will pay to keep your skills alive at working in India or at least straddling the USA-India bridge. In years ahead the demand for top professionals who know who to work in both environments with ease will only increase. Those who get too USA bound and lose their canny & knack of navigating India's work environment could end up at a disadvantage.

My business had branches in 2 US cities. I spent several months on a few occasions parked there building things out. I personally found the municipal services, traffic discipline and interface with the Govt agencies very good. Warmth, friendship with whites, el zippo. In my generation the income differential was real and significant. Today after adjusting for purchasing power the difference is marginal at best. And that gap is closing.

So in conclusion I'd advice you should take up the chance and enrich yourself. The call to settle there permanently you should take after giving yourself & your spouse some time. Hope this helps.

All the very best. Let us know. And after moving please keep posting on all those exotic cars you will drive there :-)

Last edited by V.Narayan : 6th April 2023 at 18:43.
V.Narayan is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 19:00   #2020
Senior - BHPian

LegalEagle, it's not everyday people get such opportunities! If I were you, I'd definitely make the move and see for myself how things are - different people have different perspectives and only a first hand experience can tell you whether or not you'd want to stay. I know people who preferred to come back and also ones who loved it there.

If it doesn't work out, it's going to be a learning experience for you and the family. Atleast, you won't go to bed 10 years from now having a doubt whether you should've moved there when you had the chance. Unlike so many people who put in a lot of money through higher education, you're going there on your own merit which very few can boast.
Turbohead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 19:09   #2021
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Start by acknowledging that we can't have it all in life. You will do really well professionally if you move there. Your kids will also likely go to very prestigious grad schools. You will get to enjoy all things that a first world country is likely to offer. These are all the upsides.

Now the challenges. In the short term, you will have lot of anxiety related to settling down, figuring out what type of lifestyle you can afford based on your income/expenses, etc. In the medium term, you will have struggle with integrating into the new society and culture. In the long term, you may have to reconcile with the new person(s) you and family members have become.

These are individual choices and no decision is a wrong one. You gain some, you lose some.

It's no coincidence that a big part of your post dwells on a long list of members of your extended family. This sense of extended family will be the first casualty once you migrate. The roles of husband, wife, parent, child, marriage, etc. will also get tweaked based on the extent of assimilation in the new society which can be overwhelming if you are an old school conservative type of person.

I feel the old scripts of "migrate > get green card > never look back" or "migrate > save up > return with funds to settle down" are no long such compelling automatic choices. The new script should be similar to what US/European families do when they come to India for work. They just want to treat it as an experience without making any long terms plans to settle here or to build a huge corpus. It's time we start seeing it the same way.
androdev is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 21:22   #2022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Members,
Dear Eagle, for a fresher or a young professional, immigrating to a western country or even to UAE is a dream comes true event. Cars, electronics, accessories, lifestyle everything not only looks greener on the other side, but actually greener even in 2023 if you're in your early 20s.

I am one of those guys who missed the Mainframe/CICS/DB2 bus towards USA, but God has shown me an alternate path and by setting up my own consultancy with some good clientele in AusPac region I am now on par with my US friends in terms of money talks. Do I regret missing the US bus, not at all. Things are different when you've an established and well-sorted out career and you're settled both financially and socially.

BUT your case is different. That you're a lawyer and not a goddamn coder like me is the first thing to consider. Even well-experienced developers can be replaced with ambitious and smart young coders, but would anyone replace experienced and well-known doctors and lawyers with freshers? Your assessment - that your company values your work very much - is correct. With every working day in office you're gaining more and more experience and proficiency in your career, and this process will accelerate by 2X if you switch to the company HQ.

You just can't miss this bus, period. All the best!

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 6th April 2023 at 21:26.
sandeepmdas is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 00:09   #2023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Members,

Let me be candid and start by saying - I never read or thought of reading this thread ever. Maybe it was because of my career path, or that I was unable to clear the exams for the services that I just didn't do it. And to my fate and irony, I write this post when I am in the US.

But - as they say - here I am.
Let me give you my life story in brief which I am normally reluctant to share on a public forum.

I'm a professional with 20+ years of experience and have been travelling to US for these 2 decades multiple times in a year.

While everyone in my circle was making a permanent move to US in early 2000's and I was hell-bent in making my life in India (while making those 2-3 times a year business trips to US).

I finally made a move to US in mid-30's and during my first move, I spent 2 years in USA and then relocated back to India due to work related reasons (My boss was surprised as he thought whoever comes to US will never go back- I proved him wrong.)

I spent ~ 2 years in India with a career experience of being and working in USA and, realized that being in India, it's hard to make career progression (especially if you are in IT) as everyone thinks of folks working from India as "Offshore" and don't give them the due credit that they deserve. They are relegated to "those offshore resources" which hurts you badly despite making significant contributions.

Within the first few months in India, I realized that and decided to move back to US (Moving to US was an easy option available to me at every step of my career due to my profession) after the stipulated 18-months that is required for intra-company transfer.

It's now 6+ years in my 2nd stint and I cannot be more happy.

Financial gain aside (which is really one of the biggest benefit of moving here and not my first priority), there are a few other important things

1. Exposure- The exposure you get in US from a career perspective is inexplainable. I feel like hitting myself for not taking this decision much earlier in my career as I would be in a different league from a career and monetary perspective. This exposure can never be had being @offshore. Period.

2. Confidence- Due to #1, the confidence you gain in your day to day career management multifolds.

3. Work Life Balance- US provides phenomenal work life balance. I spend most afternoons out doing chores/physical activity/just being in nature. Can I do that in India? Nope.

4. Outdoors- I am big sucker for outdoors. We spend as much time in the beautiful outdoors here as possible. It refreshes the mind, body and improves not only physical health but, also impacts positively the mental health.

5. Finally, coming to the thing we all love most. Automobiles. It's pure heaven here from that perspective and affordable to own and drive cars you can only dream about living in India (even if you earn very good salary).

USA is "still" a dream country for Indian professionals who are serious about their careers and move up the ladder. Anybody can say anything and this fact will not change.

I know so many of my friends who are desperate to move here but, unfortunately due to their profession, they cannot. Many friends have opted for second choices like Canada/UK and some for the third choices like Australia/New Zealand.

Here is the 2 cents from someone who has seen US for over 2 decades from close quarters :-

Make a move with family, explore for 2-years and decide if you want to file a Green Card (For L1A, it will anyways come in less than 2-years after filing it) and settle down here or move back to India.

Cheers & Good Luck !!.

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th April 2023 at 00:11.
mobike008 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 00:23   #2024
One
BHPian

Quote:
Personally think it is an easy decision with so many "Yes" and just a disagreement on shift being too drastic . And I say this from personal experience of very very close quarters.

I would look at it this way - this is a paid vacation to a new country for a couple of years. because:
1. Your kids are young enough to not get impacted in terms of schooling yet old enough to enjoy a new land with lots of new experiences.
2. Your parents are young enough to probably not need you yet.
3. A good work-life balance will enable you to travel with family in a way you just can't vacation in a foreign land.

And you get all these benefits while advancing professionally!

For now, make the move. Shifting countries is easier than shifting in India - you will rent a container or less to move items from here to US, you will probably pick big and cheap (but good) furniture from IKEA, your biggest challenges would be to find a good pin code for kids' public schooling if possible and medical stuff.

Once there, enjoy the vacation, explore the entire country, enjoy the job you like so much at the HQ which is a great place to be exposed to and grow as a family (personal learning: "kids are more flexible than we think").

In a couple of years, you can always take stock and make your next move. Moving back or continuing to stay there (new personal learning: "kids are EVEN more flexible than we think").

All the best!

Last edited by aah78 : 11th April 2023 at 23:14. Reason: Quote trimmed.
One is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 23:54   #2025

Quote:
Dear Members,

I would take a green card option, if I were you. It is a game changer when compared to being on work visa.

That being said, be prepared to put down roots if you plan to stay for more than a few years.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th April 2023 at 10:37. Reason: Please avoid quoting a full long post. Thank you!
iFrag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks