Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 16:02   #1
BHPian

Moving to Nairobi Kenya for next 5 Years

I am in a predicament, I have recently moved to Kenya and look forward to working here for next 5 Years. I own a Feb 2009, Swift ZXI. I need help from fellow TEAM-BHPian’s on

1.Has anybody taken their car used in India to another country
2.What are the documents that would require to ship the car.
3.Whom do I approach for shipping the car.
4.What would be cost and other issues that would need to be considered?

I can already hear lot of fellow members thinking, why the hell does he want to take a car from India to Kenya, the answer is below; I am new in Kenya if anybody in this forum belong to Kenya can put in a valuable suggestion and advise;

Buying a brand new car in Kenya is expensive, so then what next. Africa as I know is a dumping ground for refurbished cars. That is car that are used and thrown in Japan and other countries are refurbished and sold here for almost the same price as that we buy a new car in India.

So essentially if I have to buy a car (refurbished) I have to technically buy it from the guys who import these cars from Japan other countries. That made me think, why would I have to buy a refurbished car for that price, rather I would import my used car in India into this country.

I hope any of this make sense or so that is why I am here with the question to the only place that you don’t go away without an answer. OK LET US HEAR IT PLEASE….

MODS: I have no idea where this thread should go, please move it to the place that it should belong

Last edited by ajitsank : 25th February 2010 at 16:06.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:11   #2
BHPian

I have no answers to any of your questions, but am here to confuse you further.

Wouldnt you have to pay customs import duty for your car if you import it to Kenya? in that case wouldnt your car become more expensive ?

From what I can make out, looks like you dont have a problem driving a refurbished car. Specs between Indian models and Global models are different (They might have better powered Engines).

In that case wouldnt you drive a older car (yes) but with better spec ?
Old 25th February 2010, 16:22   #3
BHPian

Wouldnt you have to pay customs import duty for your car if you import it to Kenya? in that case wouldnt your car become more expensive ?
-----------------
The point is I will be paying Rs. 6 Lakhs for a refurbished car. Yes i think with the same price i would get to drive a sedan (Toyota)

To your question of Taxes, this is what i listed in the Kenya customs website

Import duty is 25% of Dutiable value.
[Excise Duty 20% of Excise Duty value.
VAT is 16% of VAT value
Import Declaration Form (I. D. F.) processing fees is 2.25% of dutiable value with a minimum of Kshs 5,000 that is paid in advance on application
Old 25th February 2010, 17:27   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

5 years is a long time, so i believe you will get better cars to drive in Kenya.

You can go for reconditioned cars, that are cheap, toyota mark 2 and toyota chaser are are very popular and affordable over there.

Last edited by aerohit : 25th February 2010 at 17:28.
Old 25th February 2010, 17:31   #5
BANNED

The headaches associated with first dealing with our folks here and then breaking your head to get the car officially driveable in Kenya will be worth the money you spend in buying a car there. Sell it off after 5 years.

After 5 years you are going to get the Swift back?
Old 25th February 2010, 17:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

How about the availability of spares for the Swift etc in Kenya ?
Old 25th February 2010, 18:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
How about the availability of spares for the Swift etc in Kenya ?
Tbhp is like a family eddy!
Next thread would be "Help..Swift Brake shoe wanted in Kenya"
Old 25th February 2010, 18:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dont even get into that misadventure. What about spares and service?

Unless you are a consulate person, you will not be exempt from the taxes that make a new car expensive.

Do some more research and I am sure you will find a good deal on a used car over there.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:18   #9
Team-BHP Support

additionally, corruption and confidence tricksters in Kenya are more than over here. You are a target as a newbie.

Also roads are supposed to be worse outside nairobi, Try and negotiate a car as part of the job
Old 25th February 2010, 21:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

this is indeed an odd predicament you're in..

in my opinion you should chuck the car in India itself and buy and use something locally there for the next few years. A used Toyota LandCruiser, 4runner or something like that springs to mind immediately. You can even hunt about for used Korean/ European/American vehicles since generally in Kenya and other such places, you wouldnt want to attract too much attention by buzzing around in a brand new car. Better to buy used then literally use it fully while you are there and then chuck it before you leave there. personally I would suggest Toyota because it is very common as well as popular (on account of its reliability) in the African continent by and large.

Yes you will have to buy a refurbished car probably, but Im sure since you're literally out of here lock stock and barrel, you can do that. Much better to buy local there than carry your Indian car all the way. Not to mention the hassles of shipping, carnets, re-registration and other documentation, damages in transit, unloading chaos there and a myriad other irritations. Dont forget, when you come back, selling the vehicle also will carry its own set of challenges - car gone abroad and come back -age by the time you return etc etc etc.

also, realize that your existing car will anyway be 5-6 years old by then, so your re-sale value wont be all that great and you will certainly have a number of better options in India when you come back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
I am in a predicament, I have recently moved to Kenya and look forward to working here for next 5 Years. I own a Feb 2009, Swift ZXI. I need help from fellow TEAM-BHPian’s on

1.Has anybody taken their car used in India to another country
2.What are the documents that would require to ship the car.
3.Whom do I approach for shipping the car.
4.What would be cost and other issues that would need to be considered?

I can already hear lot of fellow members thinking, why the hell does he want to take a car from India to Kenya, the answer is below; I am new in Kenya if anybody in this forum belong to Kenya can put in a valuable suggestion and advise;

Buying a brand new car in Kenya is expensive, so then what next. Africa as I know is a dumping ground for refurbished cars. That is car that are used and thrown in Japan and other countries are refurbished and sold here for almost the same price as that we buy a new car in India.

So essentially if I have to buy a car (refurbished) I have to technically buy it from the guys who import these cars from Japan other countries. That made me think, why would I have to buy a refurbished car for that price, rather I would import my used car in India into this country.

I hope any of this make sense or so that is why I am here with the question to the only place that you don’t go away without an answer. OK LET US HEAR IT PLEASE….

MODS: I have no idea where this thread should go, please move it to the place that it should belong
Old 26th February 2010, 03:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have to say, I don't think its worth taking all the trouble and shipping your car to Kenya. Even if it means getting a fairly old car for a while, as long as its been reconditioned and in decent shape, go for it. When you decide to come back, sell it off for what ever you get and recover some money.
In the meantime, let someone use your Swift, or if selling it is an option then try to get the best deal possible.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:33   #12
BHPian

If you decide to do this, I think it would be a long-winded and troublesome approach. Some potential pitfalls I can think of:

1. Local customs might "assess" your car and then fix an import duty based on their assessed value. This might be far greater than the actual value of the car in India
2. Before releasing they'll probably want to get some sort of verification from the Indian police / RTO that the vehicle is not stolen. No idea how long that would take but I'd imagine its not an easy process!

Perhaps you could look at leasing a car at least in the short term while you look for one to buy?
Old 26th February 2010, 14:46   #13
BHPian

Hey Ajit. I have stayed in Dar es salaam for 12 years. Though I was quite young at that time but from what i remember :
1. Refurbished cars(especially Toyota's) are quite reliable.
2. You need cars which gather less attention especially in Nairobi( Not meaning to scare you),because crime rate is way up there.
3. The refurbished cars are not that expensive .
4. The local police is quite harassing in nature especially if you are an expatriate.

I suggest you buy a refurbished car in Kenya itself.

I dont know what will you think of me when i say these things but still i will :
1. Dont ever go alone to any lonely place like a lonely beach at odd times.
2. Dont take unnecessary or even necessary 'Panga' with these Africans. They have all the support of the local police and are very rowdy in nature.
3. Always drive with your car mirrors up especially at traffic signals when the car is stationery.These Africans have 'chori' in their blood.
4. Mingle with all the Gujrati brethren from India. They are like locals there and can get any work done from the local authorities. Get membership of the local Indian clubs like- Lions club etc.

Now for the good part:
1. Do visit Zanzibar islands which is like an hours boat ride away from Dar-es-salaam. And do get cloves and cardamom from there,coz Zanzibar is famous for its spices.
2. Do visit the beaches specially on Saturday and Sunday evenings,you will find half of Nairobi there.
3. If possible go for a trip down south to Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and yeah not to forget South Africa.The Victoria falls on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe are to die for- Mosi O Tunya ( The smoke that thunders)
4. The Safari's are great- NGorongoro crater is amazing and the cottages or rather log huts are serene.( Wake up in the morning to see a giraffe having breakfast outside you log hut.
5. Cassava chips, ugali( made from suji and Zanzibari bhel :mmmmmmmmmm

God I miss Dar now.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
4. Mingle with all the Gujrati brethren from India. They are like locals there and can get any work done from the local authorities. Get membership of the local Indian clubs like- Lions club etc.
Gujrati brothers seems to be successful everywhere

i have heard about some gujrati petrol pump attendent at Kenya, learnt the tricks of business and built the largest business empire in India.

sorry for being off topic.

my suggetion is not to take your Indian car to Kenya.

keep as much low profile as possible, flaunting a differentation would attract un-necessary complications.

Blend with the local enviornment : local way of living, transport, food etc
espectially if you have plans for 5 years.
Old 26th February 2010, 20:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Hey Ajit. I have stayed in Dar es salaam for 12 years. Though I was quite young at that time but from what i remember :
1. Refurbished cars(especially Toyota's) are quite reliable.
2. You need cars which gather less attention especially in Nairobi( Not meaning to scare you),because crime rate is way up there.
3. The refurbished cars are not that expensive .
4. The local police is quite harassing in nature especially if you are an expatriate.

I suggest you buy a refurbished car in Kenya itself.

I dont know what will you think of me when i say these things but still i will :
1. Dont ever go alone to any lonely place like a lonely beach at odd times.
2. Dont take unnecessary or even necessary 'Panga' with these Africans. They have all the support of the local police and are very rowdy in nature.
3. Always drive with your car mirrors up especially at traffic signals when the car is stationery.These Africans have 'chori' in their blood.

Now for the good part:
1. Do visit Zanzibar islands which is like an hours boat ride away from Dar-es-salaam. And do get cloves and cardamom from there,coz Zanzibar is famous for its spices.
2. Do visit the beaches specially on Saturday and Sunday evenings,you will find half of Nairobi there.
3. If possible go for a trip down south to Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and yeah not to forget South Africa.The Victoria falls on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe are to die for- Mosi O Tunya ( The smoke that thunders)
4. The Safari's are great- NGorongoro crater is amazing and the cottages or rather log huts are serene.( Wake up in the morning to see a giraffe having breakfast outside you log hut.
5. Cassava chips, ugali( made from suji and Zanzibari bhel :mmmmmmmmmm

God I miss Dar now.
Jee how i wish i was in Tanzania after reading the above....but I am in Kenya

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks