Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:00   #46
mkh
Senior - BHPian

sad but true

Sad- but the truth is this- more than half of the buildings in this city, maybe even all around the country which are pathetic when it comes to safety standards. A perfect example is the Lido Mall- can you imagine if at all for some reason all the cars from the basement need to be evacuated? The cars perched on top of each other, will cause such a major chaos. God only help us all as its only on his control that most things run here. Talk about us being developed! Its the same as we are running 1 crore cars on the road while have no road rules enforced.
Our prayers with those injured and those who passed away.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:13   #47
BHPian

TV-9 Kannada Says 7 people Died, 80 admitted to Manipal hospital and few of them are in serious condition, there are showing videos of few people who jumped from the 7th floor and died, very horrifying scene
May their souls RIP.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:19   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Sad- but the truth is this- more than half of the buildings in this city, maybe even all around the country which are pathetic when it comes to safety standards. A perfect example is the Lido Mall- can you imagine if at all for some reason all the cars from the basement need to be evacuated? The cars perched on top of each other, will cause such a major chaos. God only help us all as its only on his control that most things run here. Talk about us being developed! Its the same as we are running 1 crore cars on the road while have no road rules enforced.
Our prayers with those injured and those who passed away.
Well.. not all.

Now a days, not only offices and malls, even the residential apartments are constructed keeping the safety standards in mind, specially fire emergencies.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:46   #49
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Well.. not all.

Now a days, not only offices and malls, even the residential apartments are constructed keeping the safety standards in mind, specially fire emergencies.
have u ever looked at Garuda mall? Can u plan for an emergency exit of the cars? Premium residential apartments maybe have some standards -not the majority of them
Some time back a friend had come from Australia and was staying at the Windsor Manor- their safety team scrapped his room and got it changed as they found it not up to the mark...the only way to get the facts will be some agencies auditing. Having a fire drill for occupants is hardly a measure of safety.

Last edited by mkh : 23rd February 2010 at 20:50.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Deccan herald says 9 people dead.

RIP, those innocent souls.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

I dont think evacuating cars in case of fire is considered a major requirement. Its the people who need better evacuation.(we love cars more?) Afterall people are supposed to leave everything behind and evacuate in case of fire.
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
No one had to jump, the news is misleading we were watching it all the time. It was sheer panic.

Lot people held on their nerves and didnt jump. We from the opposite building kept shouting not to jump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
That would be a Nasty acene. Are all who jumped safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
It would be a miracle if the couple of men and the lady we saw could have made it. They jumped from the seventh floor. The images are going to haunt me for a long long time.
No, the people who jumped did not survive.
There are 9 casualities, out of which 7 were dead before arrival and 2 of them succumbed at the hospital. Reasons were, choking, other injuries and jumping to their death.
19, are reported still critical.
2 Lakh compensation to the deceased announced by the CM BSY.
50 K for the injured.

May the people who lost their lives in this unfortunate incident rest in Peace.

EDIT: As I type they are showing horrible videos of people jumping. Highly unfortunate.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 23rd February 2010 at 21:34.
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

A friends have been frantically calling their relatives who work in the area. Is there any way to get the names of those deceased/injured? Many of the cell phones of these individuals can't be reached, hence a greater worry. Relatives invariably don't have the numbers of colleagues,so no way to know who's in trouble and who's not.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:05   #54
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I dont think evacuating cars in case of fire is considered a major requirement. Its the people who need better evacuation.(we love cars more?) Afterall people are supposed to leave everything behind and evacuate in case of fire.
never said that evacuate cars ahead of people- do we want 1000's of liters of fuel sitting there waiting to explode in case of a fire? A building needs to be evacuated completely in case of any mishap- all i am saying, the designs are not as per safety standards and this is one factor- the way parking lot entry and exits are designed. Anyways i am no expert so could be wrong on some aspects but this tragedy proves that a fancy building with big names does not mean that its the best built
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
A friends have been frantically calling their relatives who work in the area. Is there any way to get the names of those deceased/injured? Many of the cell phones of these individuals can't be reached, hence a greater worry. Relatives invariably don't have the numbers of colleagues,so no way to know who's in trouble and who's not.
Names of the deceased:
Sunitha Iyer, Fayaz Pasha, Benzie Snell Kumar, Savitha, Rajesh Subramanya, Surabhi Joshi, Siddarth Padam, Akhil Uday & Sunil Iyer.

Manipal Hospital Helpline Number: 25024202
Hope this helps.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 23rd February 2010 at 22:16.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Very unfortunate incident. May the souls RIP.

What you say is true MKH. But leave alone cars, I doubt if the malls are designed to be safe for people during evacuation. So no point speaking about 1000's of liters of fuel waiting to explode in the event of a fire.

Office spaces i guess are a tad different with fire exits and designs to aid evacuation. But again at the rate of expansion happening and shortage of office spaces, you never know if these standards are met or not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
never said that evacuate cars ahead of people- do we want 1000's of liters of fuel sitting there waiting to explode in case of a fire? A building needs to be evacuated completely in case of any mishap- all i am saying, the designs are not as per safety standards and this is one factor- the way parking lot entry and exits are designed. Anyways i am no expert so could be wrong on some aspects but this tragedy proves that a fancy building with big names does not mean that its the best built
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:37   #57
BANNED

RIP all the souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Very unfortunate incident. May the souls RIP.

What you say is true MKH. But leave alone cars, I doubt if the malls are designed to be safe for people during evacuation. So no point speaking about 1000's of liters of fuel waiting to explode in the event of a fire.

Office spaces i guess are a tad different with fire exits and designs to aid evacuation. But again at the rate of expansion happening and shortage of office spaces, you never know if these standards are met or not!
Hi, I don't know which Malls you guys are referring to. I have been to all the malls and find adequate safety in-case of fire,Emergency Exit, Fire Extinguishers,Sensors.. etc etc that is one of the biggest reason for safety is why we have escalators now, and less lifts. Please elaborate 'why' you say something 'bad' enough. Probably there would be something not safe enough and I need to be aware of.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Names of the deceased:
Sunitha Iyer, Fayaz Pasha, Benzie Snell Kumar, Savitha, Rajesh Subramanya, Surabhi Joshi, Siddarth Padam, Akhil Uday & Sunil Iyer.

Manipal Hospital Helpline Number: 25024202
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info,Sir.
As it stands, I don't think any of these individuals were related to my acquaintances. I'll pass the names along, just in case.
Thanks once again. I really appreciate it!
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:42   #59
Team-BHP Support

Really sad incident, i know that building quite well. Apart from the ground floor the layout is very confusing and escape routes limited. Even the fire exit runs completely inside in between concrete walls. They do have fire hydrants but location of the same are very much questionable.

Though fire was not major it is speculated the AC ducting was such, that the smoke filled up complete area in a short span, this in turn created the panic. Actual fire injury is less, but smoke and the falls have taken toll so far.

Apparently one lucky man got away with minor injuries, inspite of the jump. Most probably he would have landed in a trap setup.

Serious concerns regarding BLR PUBLIC, who caused inconvenience to the operation has already been raised. Public in turn blaming the forces for slow response.
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:54   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Serious concerns regarding BLR PUBLIC, who caused inconvenience to the operation has already been raised. Public in turn blaming the forces for slow response.
I passed through the IRR flyover at 5:45 PM and I would blame the police for not managing people and traffic. I was coming from Jeevan Bheema Nagar via New Horizon School and there were even heavy vehicles including BMTC buses which were traveling along the same route. I feel the police should have diverted all vehicles from the 100ft road itself. The initial stages of diversion I saw was near nandini restaurant, under the flyover. That means all the roads leading to the flyover were jam packed. There was no way any fire tender or ambulance could have reached the place with all this traffic. The condition of other approach roads were similar.

Also, I believe there should be awareness among public on how to act in case of any accident. It feels like everyone wants to see the drama, but no-one is interested to take part or let others take part and help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks