Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 19:41   #16
BHPian

Sticker removed and the interior repainted to black.
Yippee!!! Certainly looks better now.
Thank you "Better4worse" and "Ripper" for your advice.

By the way,
The lower wings and the bridge are completed now. Left for drying.
Will post pictures in sometime.
Going as per schedule.

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 5th February 2010 at 19:48.
Old 5th February 2010, 20:19   #17
BHPian

Part 7 : Lower Wings and Bridge.

The lower wings are done.
The bridge is also completed.
Sports the same colour as the rosette.

Here are the pics.

The Bridge : Finished in Black and Copper.

My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar-img_0240.jpg

The Lower wings.
It really looks smashing.
I have no words to describe it.
The outcome is really beautiful.
Frankly the pictures don't do any justice to the instrument.
Here are the pictures.

My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar-img_0239.jpg

My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar-img_0241.jpg

My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar-img_0242.jpg

My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar-img_0243.jpg

My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar-img_0244.jpg

Well, the fruits of my labor are starting to take shape. Please let me know what you think people. It will be a prime motivating factor for all future endeavours. Thank you.

Regards
Preetam
Old 5th February 2010, 20:56   #18
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Great work.

I know what kind of hard work you must have put into creating those patterns for wings.

I have an idea that can make your work more easier.
Make the pattern (reverse) on a software like corel draw and get it cut at a local no. plate shop. This will be much easier than you having to cut every small detail.
You could even spary paint it by using this technique.
Old 6th February 2010, 00:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Great work.

I know what kind of hard work you must have put into creating those patterns for wings.

Make the pattern (reverse) on a software like corel draw and get it cut at a local no. plate shop. This will be much easier than you having to cut every small detail.
Thank You for your idea SRK.
I'd thought about this earlier, but, just because I wanted this to be one of a kind, I wanted every detail to be hand painted. Thats why all this effort, and from what I find, the outcome is much better than what I'd initially expected.
Old 6th February 2010, 00:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Great work.

You just said it mate, using the number plate sticker technique. Infact I was thinking the same when I had suggested Tremonti style birds on the fretboard. I guess, I'll try doing that tomy accoustic in some time.
Old 6th February 2010, 01:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetam_KORG View Post
Thank You for your idea SRK.
I'd thought about this earlier, but, just because I wanted this to be one of a kind, I wanted every detail to be hand painted. Thats why all this effort, and from what I find, the outcome is much better than what I'd initially expected.
It is unique no two questions about that, a friend of mine who's now a damn good web designer/3D expert, he did a similar paint job on his accoustic way back, but the wings on your ovation look real nice. Frankly speaking, as much as I appreciate the skill involved in painting, I just miss the good, easy to maintain, glossy finish of a sticker at the end of the day... what say fellas ?

I know that you've attempted black on white scheme, but it had me thinking and wondered if one had an all black guitar and these wings on it were in sun burst finish.

PS: I am serial improviser by nature, so pardon my suggestions if they are disruptive at times.
Old 6th February 2010, 21:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread going here. Can't believe I missed it. Great job, Preetam. Well done. Please put up pictures after you've attached the strings and all.
Old 6th February 2010, 21:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
It is unique no two questions about that, a friend of mine who's now a damn good web designer/3D expert, he did a similar paint job on his accoustic way back, but the wings on your ovation look real nice. Frankly speaking, as much as I appreciate the skill involved in painting, I just miss the good, easy to maintain, glossy finish of a sticker at the end of the day... what say fellas ?

I know that you've attempted black on white scheme, but it had me thinking and wondered if one had an all black guitar and these wings on it were in sun burst finish.

PS: I am serial improviser by nature, so pardon my suggestions if they are disruptive at times.

I agree with you better4worse. The sticker jobs are easy to maintain than this for sure. Once the lacquer (Clear Coat) comes on the top (I'm Planning on 4 coats) the paintjob will be as glossy and scratchless as stickers or maybe better.

As for the sunburst wings on a black guitar, I will do that one too. Just need a Stock Black acoustic for that. please lend me one if you have a spare.

PS : Suggestions I love, Criticism is most welcome. Criticism to me is not disruptive, its the way of getting better at things which can prove to be disruptive if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 7th February 2010, 19:01   #24
BHPian

Part 8 : The Rose and Part 9 : The Gold and Copper accents

@Shamik : Thank you. Sorry could not reply earlier.

First, My sincere apologies because I could not update yesterday.
Its because, I was out for a Team BHP drive with some Bangalore BHPians, it was nice fun.

Well, the guitar is almost nearing completion.
The Rose is done.
I have also finished with the gold and copper highlights on the wings.
The portions inside the hole has been repainted black after this so, please wait for the pics.
After this, the guitar will be left to dry overnight (not taking any chances), and the lacquer comes on maybe tomorrow or day after.
Here are the Pics.
Enjoy!

Me putting final touches before the final drying process:
My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar-img_0220.jpg
My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar-img_0221.jpg

The final outcome:
My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar-img_0223.jpg
My Artwork : Re-modelling my Guitar-img_0222.jpg

Part 10 : Lacquering with clear coat and the interior re-painted to black, sticker removed. Update tomorrow or day after.

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 7th February 2010 at 19:03.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:02   #25
BHPian

Am inspired. Waiting for the final results
Old 8th February 2010, 11:56   #26
BHPian

Very impressive stuff..my guitar looks sad compared to this one hehe.

The white colour is the key I guess as the designs do seem to jump out at you from that. For me personally there is a lot of clutter in the bottom part (after the bridge) but I cannot fault your creativity and workmanship. Great job preetam!
Old 9th February 2010, 23:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by de3p View Post
Am inspired. Waiting for the final results
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Very impressive stuff..my guitar looks sad compared to this one hehe.

The white colour is the key I guess as the designs do seem to jump out at you from that. For me personally there is a lot of clutter in the bottom part (after the bridge) but I cannot fault your creativity and workmanship. Great job preetam!

Thank you!
Was busy for a couple of days...so could not reply...
Old 11th February 2010, 10:36   #28
Team-BHP Support

I got in rather late so I read the first post rather fast and my heart skipped a beat. I thought Preetam was going to paint an Ovation!

Preetam, you seem to be on the right track. The only issue I used to have was that with the strings removed the guitar neck can warp. As yuou know even a slight warping will make the bass strings buzz. I dont think your guitar has a truss rod so correcting this warp will be diffcult if not next to impossible.

The other issue might be more of long term use. With no pick guard the artwrok will be prone to damage when strumming. I'd use a thin plexiglass cover.

I only worked on electrics so it was easier (a) the neck could be removed ans stored safely (b) the truss rod helped straighten any warpage.

The guitar you see in my avatar was made about 20+ years ago (that pic is 20+ years old too). The name (Navin Advani) is actually mother of pearl inlay. The heads are Grover, the pickups DiMarzio, the tremelo from Floyd Rose, and all of the 4 pots have inegrated push pull swtiches so I can run the coils in parallel or series. If you look carefull you will see the "i" of Navin is ont he 12th fret (1 octave) and the "i" in Advani is on the 3rd fret (my favourite capo fret) - this was by design not an accident.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:55   #29
BHPian

Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I got in rather late so I read the first post rather fast and my heart skipped a beat. I thought Preetam was going to paint an Ovation!

Preetam, you seem to be on the right track. The only issue I used to have was that with the strings removed the guitar neck can warp. As yuou know even a slight warping will make the bass strings buzz. I dont think your guitar has a truss rod so correcting this warp will be diffcult if not next to impossible.

The other issue might be more of long term use. With no pick guard the artwrok will be prone to damage when strumming. I'd use a thin plexiglass cover.

I only worked on electrics so it was easier (a) the neck could be removed ans stored safely (b) the truss rod helped straighten any warpage.

The guitar you see in my avatar was made about 20+ years ago (that pic is 20+ years old too). The name (Navin Advani) is actually mother of pearl inlay. The heads are Grover, the pickups DiMarzio, the tremelo from Floyd Rose, and all of the 4 pots have inegrated push pull swtiches so I can run the coils in parallel or series. If you look carefull you will see the "i" of Navin is ont he 12th fret (1 octave) and the "i" in Advani is on the 3rd fret (my favourite capo fret) - this was by design not an accident.

Sir, I had seen all that done, and that is exactly why I had asked you to peep in.
I've been thinking actually as to how to get a clear coat done on the guitar as most people are saying that it wont be suitable for a guitar body. The sound might get dampened and the like. After all the work I'm sitting her now, without being able to play it, because I cant get a clear coat done. Can you suggest me something or some way to get it done? And as for the intonation of the fretboard that is not going to pose any problems as my guitar has a truss rod that can be adjusted easily.

Thank you for your comment once again.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Navin,

Interesting description there...can you please post a bigger pic of your guitar ?

-B4W

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks