Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2015, 23:30   #1366
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilay View Post
I have to reduce my weight as well as fat. Rightnow i am thinking of Harbalife product mostly protein powder and Energy Drink Mix. I have to maintain my weight to 75 to 80 kg and waist to 34 inch. Any advise will be most useful to me.

Follow this discussion, if you are looking at a Keto mode.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3581623

And this post sums it well nicely as well.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3582980
Old 13th July 2015, 05:48   #1367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello

My Dimensions are as under

1. Height is 169 cm

2. Weight is 108.5 Kg

3. Waist is 40 inch

3. Body Fat % is 39.5

4. TDEE is 2145 cal/day

5. BMR is 1788 cal/day

I have to reduce my weight as well as fat. Rightnow i am thinking of Harbalife product mostly protein powder and Energy Drink Mix. I have to maintain my weight to 75 to 80 kg and waist to 34 inch. Any advise will be most useful to me.

Your tdee calculation seems to be correct.
- Track everything you eat with myfitnesspal
- if I were you I would set a daily calorie goal of 1700, fat 50g and most importantly protein 115g. Make sure you don't exceed calories and make sure you hit your protein numbers consistently.
- lift heavy (as heavy as you can while maintaining correct form) 3 times a week
- drink a lot of water
- get enough sleep every night

Eat as much or as little carbs/sugar as you want, as long as you can hit the numbers above. (you'll quickly realize that cutting carbs is needed for cutting calories realistically. However if you get creative about it you can still eat a heavy carb meal everyday and consistently lose fat/weight, like I am doing).

If you do the above, the fat will be flying off. A few more tips (not mandatory, just tips I've learned along the way):
- if you are like me and tend to gorge at night, then keep lunch small/tiny. That way there's enough calories to snack in the evening or even late night (I still raid the kitchen at midnight, I just make sure I've got calories left to do it). My lunch these days is just some chickpeas (boiled), carrots and cucumber (raw).
- breakfast is overrated. Drink your protein shake and go to work
- get part of your protein as a Quest bar (160 cals, 20g protein). It can replace your afternoon coffee and become a "snack"
- try to eat non veg, not deep fried but grilled or sautéed. It's not necessary but makes things convenient to hit protein and fat goals. Protein powder is good but it becomes an additional thing to meals, taking away from calories that you can actually eat for lunch/dinner.
- don't indulge in "cheat days". They are not necessary. You need them only if you do some kind of low-carb thing.
- beware of undercounting your calories which almost everyone does in the beginning. Till you get used to tracking your intake as a second nature, measure everything carefully. Yes you have to acquire a food scale, a measuring cup etc.
- don't weigh yourself daily. There will be a lot of fluctuations because of water retention. Weigh weekly instead.

Oh and stop taking that herba life thing. It doesn't burn fat, green tea doesn't burn fat, cinnamon doesn't burn fat, honey doesn't burn fat. No particular food burns fat. Being in a calorie deficit burns fat.

Oh and workout is equally important. Don't do what many people do which is just the diet part and neglect workout. Do weights three times a week and lift heavy. Follow a program instead of random weights. Look up stronglifts, ice cream workout etc and follow one of them. Cardio is optional.

All the best!
Old 17th July 2015, 19:12   #1368
Senior - BHPian

It seems that these days, whatever you believe in, there is a study supporting that AND there is a study disproving that!
Cornell researchers: Actually, you should weigh yourself every day

What to do??
Old 20th July 2015, 11:17   #1369
BHPian

I think the Ketogenic Diet is only for those who eat non veg. So my question is what to eat for vegan Keto Diet??? Anyone who have practiced this??
Old 20th July 2015, 11:44   #1370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
I think the Ketogenic Diet is only for those who eat non veg. So my question is what to eat for vegan Keto Diet??? Anyone who have practiced this??
Works very well for veg diets as well.

- Whey proteins
- Buttered veggies
- Ghee on your dal/pulses etc

I do understand it may not be an exact match, but yes it works.
Old 20th July 2015, 13:12   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Your tdee calculation seems to be correct.
While I appreciate your efforts to help him, I have some serious concerns on some of your suggestions. I don't intend to argue but intend to give a more holistic view of health and good practices.

Quote:
- if I were you I would set a daily calorie goal of 1700, fat 50g and most importantly protein 115g. Make sure you don't exceed calories and make sure you hit your protein numbers consistently.
He is overweight by a huge margin and he is looking to reduce weight. 115g for him whose height is 169cm is twice of what he is supposed to take when he intends to reduce weight. Ideally 1gm per body weight is what one has to take everyday if they he/she is not involved in muscle building.

Quote:
- lift heavy (as heavy as you can while maintaining correct form) 3 times a week
Generally it depends. There is no specific workout schedules that can be effective to everyone looking forward to reduce weight. Since he is heavy, the higher probable effective solution will be to exercise at least 5 days a week.

Quote:
- drink a lot of water
- get enough sleep every night
Nothing like these two. Good Food habits. Good Sleep for 7-8 hours daily and Stress free life is the best gift a man can give to himself.

Quote:
Eat as much or as little carbs/sugar as you want, as long as you can hit the numbers above. (you'll quickly realize that cutting carbs is needed for cutting calories realistically. However if you get creative about it you can still eat a heavy carb meal everyday and consistently lose fat/weight, like I am doing).
If you are having heavy carb meal daily, make sure you exercise very often. Do a simple test, check your blood sugar level two hours after you eat and before and after you workout. Ideally your interest on health should be holistic and factor in everything related to ageing.

Quote:
If you do the above, the fat will be flying off. A few more tips (not mandatory, just tips I've learned along the way):
- if you are like me and tend to gorge at night, then keep lunch small/tiny. That way there's enough calories to snack in the evening or even late night (I still raid the kitchen at midnight, I just make sure I've got calories left to do it). My lunch these days is just some chickpeas (boiled), carrots and cucumber (raw).
No scientific research so far has come up with best dietary plan for each day. Going by what our ancestors did - what we can do is, have 3 meals a day with 1 heavy meal and avoid aerated drinks, packed and processed foods.

Quote:
- breakfast is overrated. Drink your protein shake and go to work
Personally, I don't suggest protein shakes to anyone. When the foods we see and eat daily are filled with so much pesticides and come from using artificial fertilizers, imagine what all could go in that powder you shake daily. And don't go with a reputed brand equals no harm to health mindset, KFC, McD are all reputed brands.

As I said, have a holistic view for health factoring in body changes that comes with ageing.

Quote:
- get part of your protein as a Quest bar (160 cals, 20g protein). It can replace your afternoon coffee and become a "snack"
No No!

Quote:
Oh and workout is equally important.
All the best!
Yes, if one is leading a sedentary lifestyle daily, Workout is extremely important.

Quote:
Hello
My Dimensions are as under
1. Height is 169 cm
2. Weight is 108.5 Kg
3. Waist is 40 inch
3. Body Fat % is 39.5
4. TDEE is 2145 cal/day
5. BMR is 1788 cal/day

I have to reduce my weight as well as fat. Right now i am thinking of Harbalife product mostly protein powder and Energy Drink Mix. I have to maintain my weight to 75 to 80 kg and waist to 34 inch. Any advise will be most useful to me.
Being heavy is not harmful, but being extremely is. Ideally speaking, you are overweight by at least 25 kgs, but as I said if you can cut that to 15 kgs, you can still be healthy, but it depends -

* See if your are genetically prone to overweight, check your father's photo when he is your age. Check with him, if he was obese because of poor dietary habits and sedentary lifestyle. If he says no, stop sweating over being overweight, start practicing healthy food habits and workout regimes per your lifestyle.

And regarding what to eat and how to exercise, there are plenty of posts on this thread already. But remember, even the best health/gym tutor can only experiment with your body. On the long course of life, only you will be your best tutor.
Old 21st July 2015, 12:55   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Report 2 - This report is 10 weeks after my first one. I weigh slightly less than 75 Kgs. a good progress from where I left off. I try to hit the gym 4-5 times a week and spend 75 to 90 min. Current focus has shifted from cardio to strength exercises. I still do cardio for first 30 min. I can do 5 kms easily in 30 min without excessively getting tired. Then I do either the upper body strength exercise or lower body (Including Abs) on alternate days. I am on my path to achieve 70 kgs by year end weight target as well as achieving <25 min for 5 km distance. I have changed my wardrobe as my waist has reduced from 37.5 to 34 inches.

On the diet front I have been cheating a bit. Once in a while I do indulge in sweets or Ice creams.
quick update from my side. This is more than a year after my last report. I am down to 70 kgs with good amount of muscle mass. Waist is down to 31 inches. In my view this is ideal weight for my height. I have maintained my workout schedule but diet is not strict anymore. I do indulge in sweets/ice creams once in a while.
Old 16th October 2015, 20:28   #1373
BHPian

Gurus,
I have successfully reduced 5 kgs in 45 days and now I weight 90. It was done purely by cutting off my diet to exact half like 4 chapatis to 2, 2 pieces to chicken to 1, 2 egg omelette to 1 and so on.

I am self-employed and lead a reasonably active life as compared to my corporate days. I am 26 now, 5'11.

So now I have hit the gym to further accelerate my weight loss speed and doing cardio for 60 mins. The trainer is however is pushing me to do weights as I expressed him my wish to loose chest fat in particular.
Now, he is engaging me into all types of light (as per him) weights after my 60 mins of cardio and that is kind of making it too tiresome and painful. I am in no mood for building muscles. Just need a lean n toned body.

Should I follow the instructor or stick to cardio only?
Old 16th October 2015, 20:39   #1374
BHPian

Please do what "you" feel you can do. Over exertion could be disastrous. Please remember it may be easy to lose weight with a regimen followed, but could be difficult to maintain the rhythm.
Old 16th October 2015, 21:20   #1375
Senior - BHPian

I have a question.

Weights before cardio OR cardio before weights?
Old 17th October 2015, 12:50   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I have a question.

I always do cardio before weights, Cardio gets me warmedup and all sweaty, Half an hour of cardio before lifting weights.
Old 19th October 2015, 13:37   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
The trainer is however is pushing me to do weights as I expressed him my wish to loose chest fat in particular.
How will lifting weights help you lose chest fat in particular?
Why don't you grill your gym trainer about this?

On the other hand, it is always beneficial that you lifts some weights. Perhaps very light, but at least something. It helps you during your aging process (which we all embark upon after reaching 25-30).
Old 19th October 2015, 14:23   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I have a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I always do cardio before weights, Cardio gets me warmedup and all sweaty, Half an hour of cardio before lifting weights.
I had read somewhere that intensity during weights reduces if cardio is done before. However, if you recover from it fast, it should not matter.

I usually do a 30 min cardio after weights because I dont like using benches etc after getting sweaty. However, I do some warmup before starting weights.
Old 19th October 2015, 16:47   #1379
Senior - BHPian

I guess the simple fact is that if you spend more calories per day than you consume, then you will lose weight. Whether you lost muscle or fat is question #2.

Here is what has worked for me multiple times:

1. Count daily calorie intake - I use MyFitnessPal app. The app gives me daily calorie target to reduce weight by 0.75kg per week with zero exercise. I further use the app to keep track of calorie intake. I am happy with approximate values, so I don't weigh each and everything I eat. I cut down on the quantity of food intake to stick to calorie targets, but otherwise have no special diet. However, I totally cut out chips, biscuits and similar snacks from my diet and eat more non-veg (fish, chicken) for proteins.

2. Exercise - since my calorie intake calculations are approximations, I make up for any possible errors with exercise. I have an aversion to gyms and weights so exercise means walking/running outside.

Why did I have to do this multiple times?
-----------------------------------------------
My first attempt at weight loss was in 2013, starting from Jan 1 2013 as part of a new year resolution. I was visibly thinner within 3 months. Some people complimented me while others (mainly parents) complained. Thereafter a combination of feeling good about my weight-loss achievements and change of job and country led to me slowly slipping back to old habits and the weight went up.

My second attempt was in April 2014. Again, I lost weight in about 6-7 weeks. Unfortunately, I then fell sick (chicken pox) and I had to stop "till my health was better". Needless to say, I went back to old habits even after the health was better and weight went up again.

My latest attempt starting in August 2015. I have so far lost nearly 10kg in 10 weeks so far. I now weigh ~78kg and I think I will be happy to maintain my weight at about 74-75kg (although it will still be a few kg about the ideal weight for my height). Hopefully this time, there will be no return to old habits. The challenge, however, is that soon it will be too cold to run outside and I will have to find another form of exercise and maybe consider going to a gym

My exercise regime:
-----------------------
After some experimentation and also because I had to nurse an ankle injury (had to limit the time spend running), this is what I settled on for weekdays during attempt #3:

- 7 mins warm-up
- 2 * (12 mins run + 8 mins brisk walk) = 40 mins
- 5 mins warm-down

That's a total of 52 mins. On weekends, I add one more 12min run + 8min walk set, for a total of 72 mins of exercise. I used to run 6 days a week at the beginning. I have now cut down to 3 days a week. In the last two weeks, I have cut the time spend walking mainly because 8mins of walk between runs cools the body down too much in current weather. Now I concentrate on covering 5km in the first 30 mins after warm-up (achievable with 12min run + 6min walk + 12min run) during weekdays and on weekends, the target is 10km in 60 minutes (achievable with about 46min run + 14mins walk in between).
Old 19th October 2015, 19:15   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I had read somewhere that intensity during weights reduces if cardio is done before.
I am presuming you meant the loads lifted reduce if preceded by cardio.
The point is why should it even matter?

If we go by the intensity rating - it actually increases since there is already a muscle+systemic fatigue built up due to cardio. And on the top of it, once pushes his muscles to lift weights.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks