Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 11:47   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by storme'd View Post
Guys, I currently weigh at 79 kgs and am finding it very tough to maintains weight. I am 36 yrs old and 5'9" height. My daily regime is:
1. 2000 to 2500 skips every morning in about 30 mins
2. Ab stretching for around 10 mins
3. Brisk walk at night post lunch for 45 mins

My diet:
1. Toast and omelette (3 eggs) at 9am and one glass of toned milk without sugar
2. Lunch is 2 rotis and vegetable plus curd (homemade)
3. Dinner of 1 roti and gravy plus vegetable (all cooked in olive pomace)
4. I hardly ever eat sweets or add sugar

I personally feel that I have a healthy lifestyle but still manage to gain weight specially on the double chin and the waist areas. My body just loves love handles which start emerging whenever I gain weight.
Where am I going wrong. The diet that I have mentioned above remains the same and hardly ever changes.

Kindly suggest if I need to visit a dietician and take an opinion as I am really worried about this weight gain. Will appreciate some pointers for ensuring that I don't gain specially around the tummy / waist. Thanks.
Absolutely no offense meant towards what Rajushank has written before me but it may be too complicated (typical American way of selling programs) for you.

Can you write in one line, what is your actual concern and why?
Weight gain?
Health?
Double chin?
Waist?
Looks?
Already eating less and feel un satiated?
Not able to eat sweets?
Already wasting tons of money on olive oil and not seeing any benefit?

Can you also rack your brains and remember what was your weight in late teens / early 20s? (Say when you were in college)
Old 18th June 2015, 23:17   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Absolutely no offense meant towards what Rajushank has written before me but it may be too complicated (typical American way of selling programs) for you.
No, typical American companies will tell you the opposite of what I said - they will sell you supplements, "programs" and so forth. They will tell you that you cannot decide for yourself what to eat, and that you need to talk to an "expert".

If you read it, its not really complicated at all. It boils down to: "Eat less, move more, and TRACK".

And I'm not selling anyone anything, I couldn't care less. Your loss, your gain (ironically, your loss is your gain when it comes to fat loss ). Just sharing what I learned from successfully losing 50 pounds in six months. Like they say, "pass it on".

Last edited by rajushank84 : 18th June 2015 at 23:27.
Old 19th June 2015, 00:49   #1353
BHPian

Thanks a lot Rajushank84 and alpha1. Appreciate you taking time out to reply back. @Raju - I will definitely look up the program's you mentioned and will try and track what I eat (actually I mentioned exactly what I eat up in my post). Will use the app to track and see changes.

Alpha1 - unable to loose weight from the waist area is in one line what I feel right now. Just before I got married in 2008, I weighed 71kgs. Hope this is what you wanted!
Old 19th June 2015, 15:11   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
No, typical American companies will tell you the opposite of what I said - they will sell you supplements, "programs" and so forth. They will tell you that you cannot decide for yourself what to eat, and that you need to talk to an "expert".
Allow me to apologize for not being clear with my words, I did not imply that you are trying to sell a program or you posted something wrong. I just meant that it is American way of doing things that are a little complicated which incidentally is made so such that it sells well.

Example: given the fact that stormed is gaining weight. Does he need to measure his calories to realize that he is eating in excess of his body's requirement?

Does he need to measure fat percentage using a gizmo in order to lose some inches off the trouser?

And then there is this protein mania and the fear of losing muscles.

Of course, none of the above is actually wrong. But there can be simpler ways.
Quote:
Alpha1 - unable to loose weight from the waist area is in one line what I feel right now. Just before I got married in 2008, I weighed 71kgs. Hope this is what you wanted!
If you want to lose waist - then that is the measure that you should track!
Ignore double chin - that depends on genetics - in particular the skull structure, jaw bone and all the neck muscles.

So in your journey from 71 to 79 kg lasting past 7 years, your food intake has stayed same or has actually gone down?

I am going ahead with the presumption that your food intake has actually gone down (become less), because I really cannot imagine anyone eating less than what you are already eating!

If my presumption is indeed right, the problem is that your metabolism is slowing down. And you need tons of physical activity. Maybe not the gym types if you are averse - but then perhaps playing tennis/squash types? Or perhaps take up swimming/jogging. Something that increases your pulse and breathing and keeps it elevated.

It simply needs to be far greater than the following you have mentioned:

You can definitely go to the dietician, but I would be amused to learn what new can a dietician will put you on. Perhaps increase lots of raw veggies and fruits? Sell you cereals and oats? Sell you extra virgin olive oil and flaxseed oil? [BTW Olive Oil pomace is refined olive oil and has none of the benefits of olive, get extra virgin if you really believe in Olives]

Last edited by alpha1 : 19th June 2015 at 15:14.
Old 19th June 2015, 17:27   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I currently weigh at 79 kgs and am finding it very tough to maintains weight. I am 36 yrs old and 5'9" height. My daily regime is:

My diet:
1. Toast and omelette (3 eggs) at 9am and one glass of toned milk without sugar
2. Lunch is 2 rotis and vegetable plus curd (homemade)
3. Dinner of 1 roti and gravy plus vegetable (all cooked in olive pomace)
4. I hardly ever eat sweets or add sugar

I personally feel that I have a healthy lifestyle but still manage to gain weight specially on the double chin and the waist areas. My body just loves love handles which start emerging whenever I gain weight.
Where am I going wrong. The diet that I have mentioned above remains the same and hardly ever changes.

That is a fantastic diet you have.

I think your weight gain is not related to diet it seems something hormonal.

Have you ever got your Thyroid levels checked?
Old 19th June 2015, 18:47   #1356
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I currently weigh at 79 kgs and am finding it very tough to maintains weight. I am 36 yrs old and 5'9" height.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
That is a fantastic diet you have.

I think your weight gain is not related to diet it seems something hormonal.

Have you ever got your Thyroid levels checked?
There comes a time, it starts in early thirties and hits you with vengeance in late thirties. This is the age when even if you don't eat anything you will on add fat.

The foremost cause in slowing down of metabolism. Increase it. Run. Jog. Sprint. Weight train. Eat enough. And eat clean. You will find the scale turning backwards.
Old 19th June 2015, 20:37   #1357
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys. What you all say makes sense. I shy away from running / jogging which is why I started skipping. I guess it won't harm to try it out and I will start from tomorrow. On the weights side, I think I made a mistake by stopping weights in my exercise. I am going to introduce them from tomorrow. Will update this thread with my success / failure soon. Thanks again.
Old 19th June 2015, 20:54   #1358
Team-BHP Support

@storme'd:

+1 to alpha1's advice about Olive oil. Pomace is literally the final squeeze of the oil extraction process, usually done with chemical refining agents and NOT good for healthy consumption, at all. No wonder it's nearly half as cheap as extra virgin oil, sometimes lesser. Read up on Olive oil varieties and extraction methods for more info.

None of it really matters too much because your health is ultimately governed by genetics, what you eat, how much you eat and how much you burn by exercise (organised or otherwise). One ingredient here or there won't make the ultimate difference, an overall healthy lifestyle will. Good luck!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th June 2015 at 20:55.
Old 19th June 2015, 22:55   #1359
BHPian

Thanks Chetan. I used Pomace because the guys at the store told me that extra virgin is good only for salads and not cooking. Guess I have to read up on olive oils now.
Old 19th June 2015, 23:09   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Just a question:

I'm 20 and 6' and overweight by about 8 kilos. Please tell me what foods improve metabolism?
Nothing ever seems to work to reduce weight.

TIA
Old 20th June 2015, 14:30   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Chetan. I used Pomace because the guys at the store told me that extra virgin is good only for salads and not cooking. Guess I have to read up on olive oils now.
There is one between Extra Virgin and Pomance which is recommended for cooking. But Pomace is totally no no. In any case what oil you use does not at all matter until you prefer eating oily or deep fried foods.
Old 20th June 2015, 17:45   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

TIA
What all have you tried so far?
Old 20th June 2015, 20:14   #1363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Just a question:

I'm 20 and 6' and overweight by about 8 kilos. Please tell me what foods improve metabolism?

TIA

Simple answer: Eat less, exercise more.

Go through this whole thread, then do some research of your own. In the end that is the simple secret.

Good luck!
Old 21st June 2015, 02:58   #1364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's an oft-debated point. You'll see most packaging mention extra virgin for raw use, the mid-variety (usually called pure) for light cooking, and pomace for frying, but most oil experts say it doesn't really matter.

Both me and my better half prefer our food cooked in minimal oil (a 5 liter can of cooking oil lasts us a year+ easily), so the switch to expensive extra virgin variety didn't pinch the grocery budget and we're happy with the results too. Food feels lighter and flavors seem better.

It's debatable if pomace is any worse than other refined cooking oils, but it sure isn't any healthier, which sort of beats the point of buying olive oil in the first place.

The pure variety is the best compromise.

Cooking tip: combine olive oil with a little butter while pan frying stuff for some delicious flavors. Works a hoot and a half.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st June 2015 at 03:01.
Old 12th July 2015, 17:28   #1365
BHPian

Hello
My Dimensions are as under
1. Height is 169 cm
2. Weight is 108.5 Kg
3. Waist is 40 inch
3. Body Fat % is 39.5
4. TDEE is 2145 cal/day
5. BMR is 1788 cal/day

I have to reduce my weight as well as fat. Rightnow i am thinking of Harbalife product mostly protein powder and Energy Drink Mix. I have to maintain my weight to 75 to 80 kg and waist to 34 inch. Any advise will be most useful to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks