Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2015, 13:18   #1276
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Hi folks, as mentioned in previous post, below is my experience on weight loss on how it all started. Pls. bear and have patience with me as I am not a good writer and this is going to be a long post with my personal experiences.

Ah! Patience! that is one of the foremost of virtues needed for keeping yourselves focused on losing weight.

I was into sports from college days and also used to go to many gyms in Pune. As life got busier with hectic job schedules along with it the stress and challenges, I never realized that I am ignoring my health and body to a great extent. Could not remember when exercise took a back bench and my weight ballooned.

Sedentary lifestyle and stuffing myself during stress became habits without me realizing it. It became a vicious circle. Also if anyone (always your loved family members) told me that try and reduce your weight, I used to get angry and irritated and standard answer was tell me where is the time for it. All the time I am into calls and busy with so many things etc. etc. And if you feel that please tell me the time and I will think about it. That is what is called abusing the concern of our loved ones and that too our family members and take them for granted. Well so that was what was going on for couple of years.

In Dec'2012 had gone for company outing and while playing, fell down and got a torn (ACL) ligament. 90% torn so had to undergo major surgery in Apr'2014 as physiotherapy did not help. With the medication and absolutely no exercise apart from physiotherapy for the leg, weight ballooned rapidly. I never weighed myself for last few months as I was ashamed and afraid to see the number on the weigh scale. Yes that is what happens.

By Nov'2013, my weight had become @113 kgs and in Feb'2014 when I weighed myself it had gone up to 114.4 kgs!

For the first time in my life, looking at that number I felt a hard mental slap. Never had I felt like that before. Something snapped within me and I was ashamed and furious and angry all at the same time. Why did I not heed my family earlier. Why did I not listen to my inner voice. (You can never lie to yourselves whatever you can project to outside world). Acceptance and realization dawns only from being true to yourselves.

I called up my surgeon and told him that I cannot exercise much and I need to see a nutritionist / dietician whatever we call them. He gave me a nutritionist's number. Called her and took an appointment. Met her, briefed her and weighed myself on her scale. This was in Feb'14.

I told her I do not want a diet plan as such. I will tell you about my eating habits and you can give me based on that a general plan which I can follow. So we came up with a general plan on my food habits - likes and dislikes. While I do this she told me to undergo a detailed blood test (cholesterol, sugar etc.) and then come with reports.

Once done, she gave me a diet plan as she said that ethically she cannot tell me what to eat and what not to eat without looking at the reports. So first I followed a general plan and then after 3 months I got a diet plan after blood reports. Unfortunately as is always the case, most of my favourite food items were dismissed.

Strict no to potatoes, rice, poha, fried food - samosas, vada-pavs, pizza, burgers etc. No cold drinks. Plenty of salads, pulses, more items with fibre etc..I started following this.

In all this my father also had to undergo immediate bypass so utilized this blow by pumping my energy into exercise, used to climb 5 floors of the hospital every time with 4 water bottles. Parked my car far away so that I can walk. Since I could not run due to the surgery, walked briskly on inclined roads. Leg Physiotherapy was also being done. Could not do squats
much so some stomach crunches etc. followed.

Most important, I used to meditate for 10 mins. with extreme focus on this goal in my mind every night. I would like to state that one needs to know oneself - in terms of whether you are a physical kind of guy who likes a lot of
exercise etc. or someone with more mental energy kind of person. For me I knew over the years that I can get into a focused mental zone and once there my nervous energy gets utilized in productive state without too much of physical effort.

I hope I am able to explain this. Know yourself and then focus there. If you are of the physical kind, go outdoors and exercise. Let that thought of reducing weight with some no. which you want to achieve be at the back of your mind. In about 3 months time you would get the change that you wanted.

At the same time do not overstress yourselves over this. Do not overdo yourselves by continuously checking your weight whether it has increased or decreased. I used to check it fortnightly and also at a fixed time - morning 7:30 am with mostly the same kind of clothes. I never measured myself too diligently lest I become more worried on the numbers. I can say for sure that initial weight loss is comparatively fast then you kind of reach a plateau where a bit of push is needed from your side and again it will start dropping.

After 4 to 5 months my friends and colleagues were amazed to see me in so better shape. Take all that adulation and keep it with you. You deserve it and it will motivate you further. In fact you will love it when you can wear clothes discarded 10 years back. It gives amazing positive energy. In fact for me it gave my confidence a huge boost.

I am attaching few documents which I hope can portray my journey the right way. I had focused on 94 kg as my target and had told myself that I will tell my family only when I cross 100 kg.

29th Dec'14 is when I got achieved my target.

1. A note of my weight numbers which I used to write in my Samsung Note II.
2. A presentation that I gave to my colleagues in office which also has details on how I lost my weight and few simple tips.
3. Also attached is a honour certificate I received from my nutritionist who was extremely happy. In fact she has told me to give her
permission to post my experiences and photos on fb etc. Have not yet given a go ahead on this to her. Not really comfortable
in posting my photos even now.
4. I am attaching snaps of my belt which will show you how much my waist has reduced. In the snap you will see that I can now
wear my belt tighter by 5 holes. Even the rings on my fingers became very loose to the extent that I am not able to use
one of it.
5. I am attaching a nice pice of poetry which was inspirational for me.

So this is all I have to share and I am happy if it helps. My journey continues.
Attached Thumbnails
The Weight Loss Thread-honorcertificate.jpg  

The Weight Loss Thread-waistbelt5holes.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf WeightTrack.pdf (128.5 KB, 287 views)
File Type: pdf Nice poetry.pdf (245.9 KB, 446 views)
File Type: zip SSD_Deck.zip (180.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 11th April 2015, 13:49   #1277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
It was purely technique as I had asked her to fill her stomach with air and hold it. I am 70 kgs.
No holding, you should breath regularly while supporting the weight of the person. Thus you can speak while doing it. Actually, it is not that a big deal for anybody with some muscles in the stomach. Most are not crazy enough to try, that's all.

Quote:
Then there are other body weight exercises that I have tried. Having read that you could do 100 push ups with break in between led me to try it.
Not with break, the last set was 100. You are referring to this I suppose: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post3342324 (Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements)
Old 11th April 2015, 15:43   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Hi folks, as mentioned in previous post, below is my experience on weight loss on how it all started. Pls. bear and have patience with me as I am not a good writer and this is going to be a long post with my personal experiences.
Excellent and inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No holding, you should breath regularly while supporting the weight of the person. Thus you can speak while doing it. Actually, it is not that a big deal for anybody with some muscles in the stomach. Most are not crazy enough to try, that's all.
This evening my wife has promised that she will try talking to me. Lets see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not with break, the last set was 100. You are referring to this I suppose: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post3342324 (Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements)
Yes, think this is it. Will try doing it every Sat evening as both Sat and Sun are my off days. Meanwhile have you tried this. I do it resting one hand on sofa and the other on the centre table and legs placed appropriately. Quite interestingly when I used to do it last year my younger daughter who was 4 then could manage 2-3. It was scary but she would not heed to our call.

Old 11th April 2015, 17:40   #1279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, think this is it. Will try doing it every Sat evening as both Sat and Sun are my off days.
You are supposed to do it alternate days. Once a week won't help.

Quote:
Meanwhile have you tried this. I do it resting one hand on sofa and the other on the centre table and legs placed appropriately.
Not all kind of pushups are safe for everybody. Different people have different range of arm/shoulder motion. If you do it beyond your natural range of motion, you will hurt yourself, with no strength gain. I have done that few times and regretted it. I started my workout journey with pushups in 1984 and I have tried lots of types. I have learned to listen to my body, and I can clearly recognise if a workout is helping or hurting. I keep away from anything that hurts.
Old 12th April 2015, 12:42   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

Before jumping into belly reduction, running, gyming, cut down food etc have you done a due diligence about why your belly fat has increased (ever reducing physical activity, ever increasing food and beverage)?
Have you also seen an increase in fat around face, chest, upper thighs? Or has it been solely belly area? Has it been on the sides (love handles) or the front?
Have you been naturally chubby (in late childhood and teenage), or has this been a recent phenomenon only?
I have fat all over my body. Be it belly, thighs, upper chest or butt. I have been chubby all throughout my teenage. I am 29 now. A working professional who spends most of the time in a day in office. But belly increase has been a recent phenomenon from past 4-5 years. In between, I am 5.11'' and 116 kgs. My food habits are those of typical South Indian style where Carbohydrates dominates. Plus my non-veg (Only chicken- Most of the times from restaurants) consumption is like 5-6 times in a week. I have recently started walking for about 45 mins everyday.

Blood report stats:

Total Cholesterol - 263 mg - Which is 31.5% more than normal limits
Triglycerides - 232 mg - Which is 45% more than normal limits
HDL Cholesterol - 40mg - This is within the range of 30-65
LDL Cholesterol - 177 mg - Which is 22% more than normal limits
VLDL Cholesterol - 46 mg - Which is 15% more than normal limits

Quote:

Strict no to potatoes, rice, poha, fried food - samosas, vada-pavs, pizza, burgers etc. No cold drinks. Plenty of salads, pulses, more items with fibre etc..I started following this.

29th Dec'14 is when I got achieved my target.

Very inspiring and motivating for me to read.

Can you please share your food regime like what was your everyday diet with the proportion of carbs : proteins : fats.

Unfortunately I am not able to cut down carb foods. Even Ragi dosa has carb content in it. Is carb the main reason for my weight gain or what.. I don't know!!

Last edited by rki2007 : 12th April 2015 at 12:58. Reason: more information added
Old 12th April 2015, 13:32   #1281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Unfortunately I am not able to cut down carb foods. Even Ragi dosa has carb content in it. Is carb the main reason for my weight gain or what.. I don't know!!
In general its the diet. You may have continued with the same diet what you may have had while in college. But now with reduced metabolism, that same intake now shows increased weight.

Try this sincerely and I am sure, you will be rewarded much more than cutting down fat.
Old 12th April 2015, 15:31   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Congratulations for the loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Very nice boss.

Quote:
Excellent and inspiring.

Quote:
Very inspiring and motivating for me to read.
Thank you all for the appreciation. Have shared all that I have.
@rki2007 - to start with meet up with a nutritionist if not already done so. Tell her about your food habits, likes and dislikes and then tell her/him to regulate your eating habits. Am sure tje nutritionist would cut down on unwanted food. Of course this has to be done with latest blood report.

Even for me cholesterol levels had gone in high risk zone. Triglycerides were beyond limits. All that is now well within limits and control.

Infact just to share before I received the diet plan, I had already reduced @ 8 kgs by following a simple regular plan.

So go ahead and wish you all the best of luck. Go through very simple layman tips I have mentioned in my deck. Celebrate any weight loss with your friends and get positivity. Of course do not celebrate by eating or partying at the moment. :-)
Old 12th April 2015, 16:12   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

So here's what you do:
1. Make sure you are on a calorie deficit
2. Get enough protein and workout with weights to retain muscle.

For tracking calories and macros, use a tool like myfitnesspal. But enter the goals in myfitnesspal manually, using iifym calculator (Google it). The first thing iifym calculator will ask for in order to calculate your calories and numbers, is your body fat percentage. This is an important number to know. Its more useful and relevant than bmi. To know your body fat percentage, buy a body fat calculator online.

So to recap:
1. Buy a body fat calculator
2. Enter your stats in iifym calculator and get your calories and macro numbers
3. Enter these numbers as goals in myfitnesspal and track every single thing you put in your mouth except water, stay within required numbers (except protein where excess is good)
4. Workout 3 times a week using weights, following a proven program like stronglifts or ice cream workout or allpro
As per the iifym calculator my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is 3328 Cal and required macros are as below:

Protein = 166g = 666 cal
Carb = 364g = 1456 cal
fat = 78g =706 cal

I have calculated the above based on 500 cal deficit (3328-500=2828 cals)

I have attached an excel sheet in which I have stated the required quantity of food intake during the day. The total calculated cal amounts to just 1344 cals. Now that is a great deficit when compared to the required 3328 cals as per iifym isnt it. But the fitness pal app suggest 1600 cals per day. So I don't think I am very bad off to be intaking 1344 cals.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

@rki2007 - to start with meet up with a nutritionist if not already done so. Tell her about your food habits, likes and dislikes and then tell her/him to regulate your eating habits. Am sure tje nutritionist would cut down on unwanted food. Of course this has to be done with latest blood report.
Thanks a lot.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Planned diet.xlsx (11.8 KB, 323 views)

Last edited by rki2007 : 12th April 2015 at 16:19. Reason: Attachment added
Old 12th April 2015, 17:11   #1284
BHPian

@rki2007 - I went through your diet plan. Has this been shared by any nutritionist/ dietician ? If so, how long have you tried this. If it is not helping, get a second opinion than just continuing this one or inform your nutritionist or dietician for alternatives.

The one I followed never had any such calorie breakup as I did not want myself to worry on the numbers. Belly fat is relatively difficult to remove and you need related exercises done diligently.

Since advice, do not follow any app or calculators for calorie intake. Get professional help.

Last edited by SSD2122 : 12th April 2015 at 17:12.
Old 12th April 2015, 17:26   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
@rki2007 - I went through your diet plan. Has this been shared by any nutritionist/ dietician ? If so, how long have you tried this. If it is not helping, get a second opinion than just continuing this one or inform your nutritionist or dietician for alternatives.

The one I followed never had any such calorie breakup as I did not want myself to worry on the numbers. Belly fat is relatively difficult to remove and you need related exercises done diligently.

Since advice, do not follow any app or calculators for calorie intake. Get professional help.
This is just a planned one. I have been eating anything and everything on earth till now with no exercise.

I will consult a Doc soon.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12th April 2015, 22:25   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per the iifym calculator my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is 3328 Cal and required macros are as below:

Protein = 166g = 666 cal
Carb = 364g = 1456 cal
fat = 78g =706 cal

I have calculated the above based on 500 cal deficit (3328-500=2828 cals)

I have attached an excel sheet in which I have stated the required quantity of food intake during the day. The total calculated cal amounts to just 1344 cals. Now that is a great deficit when compared to the required 3328 cals as per iifym isnt it. But the fitness pal app suggest 1600 cals per day. So I don't think I am very bad off to be intaking 1344 cals.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Your tdee seems to be very high. Do you mind sharing the numbers you put into iifym calculator? Unless you are extremely heavy that tdee is wrong. I am fat, and my tdee is 2000.

Do not listen to any advice that says do exercises to target belly fat. There is no exercise that targets fat loss in one area of the body. It doesn't work that way. The body will lose fat all over, belly will usually be last to go.
Old 13th April 2015, 00:01   #1287
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I thought of posting my progress pics here. Actually I wanted to wait till end of the year before posting any pics, but I wanted to help steer new people trying to lose fat, in the right direction. Especially since there is a lot of "information" being posted here that.. let me put it mildly and say I completely disagree with.

This is four months progress so far.

Dec 15 2014 - 200 pounds (90 KG)
Today- Apr 12 2015 - 165 pounds (74 KG)
(16 kilos in four months)

Here are some before and after pics.

Without tshirt:

December 15 2014:
Name:  20141215 20.29.58resized.png
Views: 426
Size:  431.9 KB

April 12 2015:
The Weight Loss Thread-20150412-10.00.52resized.png

With Tshirt:

December 2014:
The Weight Loss Thread-pismo_1resized.png
Name:  pismo_2resized.png
Views: 417
Size:  476.6 KB

This was taken last week (April 5 2015):
The Weight Loss Thread-santabarbararesized.jpg

I don't want to argue with anything specific anyone is saying, but here is what I am following:
- Calorie deficit based on IIFYM numbers
- Keep macros under control (carbs, fat, protein)
- Workout with weights 3 times a week - I am doing Stronglifts 5X5 Mon-Wed-Fri
- Get enough protein as recommended by IIFYM.

This guide is my bible: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741
If you are starting fat loss, do take some time to read through it.

Also read: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=162197341

I also want to post a few things which completely differ from a lot of "advice" that goes with fat loss.
- I always eat dinner at 9 to 10PM
- I usually eat rice in the night. Usually my dinner consists of rice, sambar/rasam, some curry and pickle. Maybe with one appalam (papad). I enjoy my dinner.
- I eat potatoes, samosas, pizza, burgers very often. I also eat, Fryums, Mixture, Lays chips, etc. Of course in very controlled quantities.
- I go to a lot of potlucks and have fun. I eat everything there, I don't miss anything.
- I do zero cardio. I hate doing cardio and I don't need it.
- I don't take breakfast. I just have one protein shake in the morning.

What I pro-actively started doing:
- Completely avoid Alcohol
- Completely avoid tea/coffee
- (I already don't smoke, but thought I should mention this)
- Completely avoid Soda (Coke, Pepsi etc. Club soda is fine)
- Try to avoid chocolates, sweets, cakes and the like except when I am really craving them.
(except alcohol, I don't really need to avoid any of these either, but they kill my calories so I can eat more rice if I avoid these. Occasionally I do eat chocolates/cake but small bites and compensate in my meal calories).
- My lunch is very light and low-calories. It is usually sundal with carrot / sundal with cucumber / sundal with beans. And then I have a delicious protein bar around 3 to 4PM
- Learning to eat non-veg (born & brought up in a strictly orthodox vegetarian family) . Getting protein from meat is more healthy than getting it from protein powder. From fat loss perspective they are the same (yes, they are the same!), but in long term I want my body to get its nutrition from real food.
- Cutting my salt intake since salt causes water retention.

It doesn't matter what you eat as long as calories and macros are under control. That's what IIFYM means: "If It Fits Your Macros".

I see some people referring to "going crazy over numbers". No, don't go crazy. Just track. And its easier than going crazy over what to eat. The first habit to form is "TRACK EVERYTHING".

Definitely, restricting yourself to certain kinds of foods that you aren't used to eating everyday is not practical and not required also. That will also achieve fat loss, because there is calorie deficit there too. That is why all the juice diets will work, all the keto diets will work, and at the same time this is also a true story: http://www.today.com/health/man-lose...ths-2D79329158
What they all have in common is a calorie deficit.

Also note, it is easy to underestimate calories when tracking. So measure everything. Get a "cup" (which is 250ml) and measure everything that you are logging in volume. Get a food scale and weigh everything. Packaged foods make it easier because the calories and macros are listed in the label itself.

Once again, read this thread several times, it has everything you need to lose fat. Its working for me. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741

Of course, my journey is nowhere near done. It has barely begun. I plan to keep this up through the rest of this year. I thought of posting all of this at that time, when I am closer to "Done". But just realized, posting it earlier will help a few people who will take the time to read through and are seriously in need of losing fat (like me!).

There have been several side benefits too since I started this:
- Overall I am very healthy. Something simple like carrying a rice sack from shop to parking lot used to feel stressful, I can barely notice it now.
- I can walk for miles and miles now without getting tired. My stamina has gone up immensely.
- I haven't even got a small cold or headache after I started this
- My weight loss is the topic among all my friends and colleagues everyday and I am getting congratulated all the time. All my peers look up to me with respect.
- I can wear a Tshirt and not feel embarrassed.
- I can look in a mirror and not cry.
- Oh and did I mention, I went from size 38 jeans to size 34. I also had to get a new belt.
- My tummy when I started measured 45 inches. As of this morning it is 37.5 inches.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 13th April 2015 at 00:06.
Old 13th April 2015, 02:23   #1288
BHPian

@rajushank84, great effort and result!
In general, for something like weight loss, it goes without saying that if someone is serious, seeking professional help is the right way to begin as it is very subjective thing depending on so many factors.

Personally it helped me by seeking professional help. Keeping track on a regular frequency and few simple tips that I have shared really helped me. I have seen folks worried on numbers more than focusing on the right regime and losing patience.
Old 13th April 2015, 04:47   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@rajushank84, great effort and result!
In general, for something like weight loss, it goes without saying that if someone is serious, seeking professional help is the right way to begin as it is very subjective thing depending on so many factors.

Personally it helped me by seeking professional help. Keeping track on a regular frequency and few simple tips that I have shared really helped me. I have seen folks worried on numbers more than focusing on the right regime and losing patience.
Thanks, but I disagree. It depends who is that "professional" and what they are telling you.
Old 13th April 2015, 07:51   #1290
BHPian

You can agree to disagree. The professional here is a certified nutritionist / dietician who are qualified for this job.
In my case I had a series of meetings, blood tests etc. the need for which were explained in detail to me. Regular calls on progress were done along with any suggestions / modifications wherever needed.

Last edited by SSD2122 : 13th April 2015 at 08:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks