Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2015, 19:11   #1156
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Neither the shirt is fitting nor the trousers!!! Thanks to non-stop workaholic life.

My body is one such kind which easily gains weight if there is no physical work out. In 2012 when I completed my studies, I was 121 kgs (6 feet)

I had followed a very good diet and did a lot of basic physical exercise like walking, jogging and stretches. As a result I could land at 105 kgs in 5 months. Though 105 kgs is very high to hear but I did look fit without that hanging balloon around the tummy.

Now again I am 117.9 with a waistline of 44 inch with a big belly . I think this would be the last chance for me to start with a diet and physical work out and continue the same till I reach the ideal BMI.

My food habits are also worse I would say. Eating less in the morning + afternoon and having a good meal in the night. In addition to that I am a non-veg person. I cannot live without it. These days I am reading a lot of facts about the broiler chicken which is grown by injecting antibiotics. Many people do not bother about this, but unfortunately this has a lot of side effects in us like gaining weight and antibiotic resistance.

I am a noob when it comes to nutrition etc. Can someone advice me as to what would be the right way of taking it forward. I am open to any kind of diet and physical work out and I am ready to spend a considerable time in a day for this schedule. The most important thing is that I should not make my body suffer due to lack of necessary nutrition and end with with issues like muscle damage, organ functioning issues, hair fall etc .

Can someone help?

I will keep visiting this thread for getting motivated by seeing my dear friends loosing weight and will also update my status.

Hope for the best.

Last edited by rki2007 : 24th January 2015 at 19:31.
Old 24th January 2015, 23:26   #1157
Team-BHP Support

You need to meet a proper dietician. Check out any decent hospital in your city.
Old 25th January 2015, 02:57   #1158
BHPian

Agree with bblost, I am currently at 100kg but am unable to exercise due to vitamin deficiency and some uric acid problem which is causing more damage then good

Surprisingly, I am told to be off all cereals, spinach and lots of other normally concidered healthy stuff to bring my uric acid, triglyceride, vitamins and some more which I couldn't understand back to normal

FYI, I am also under medication for increasing the deficiencies found

The most easiest start is to eat more number of times but smaller qty

Try the app - noom coach to track your eating habits and set target for weight loss

It's helping me realise how much my own wrong habits messed up my body
Old 25th January 2015, 06:43   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Neither the shirt is fitting nor the trousers!!! Thanks to non-stop workaholic life.

My body is one such kind which easily gains weight if there is no physical work out. In 2012 when I completed my studies, I was 121 kgs (6 feet)

I had followed a very good diet and did a lot of basic physical exercise like walking, jogging and stretches. As a result I could land at 105 kgs in 5 months. Though 105 kgs is very high to hear but I did look fit without that hanging balloon around the tummy.

Now again I am 117.9 with a waistline of 44 inch with a big belly . I think this would be the last chance for me to start with a diet and physical work out and continue the same till I reach the ideal BMI.

My food habits are also worse I would say. Eating less in the morning + afternoon and having a good meal in the night. In addition to that I am a non-veg person. I cannot live without it. These days I am reading a lot of facts about the broiler chicken which is grown by injecting antibiotics. Many people do not bother about this, but unfortunately this has a lot of side effects in us like gaining weight and antibiotic resistance.

I am a noob when it comes to nutrition etc. Can someone advice me as to what would be the right way of taking it forward. I am open to any kind of diet and physical work out and I am ready to spend a considerable time in a day for this schedule. The most important thing is that I should not make my body suffer due to lack of necessary nutrition and end with with issues like muscle damage, organ functioning issues, hair fall etc .

Can someone help?

I will keep visiting this thread for getting motivated by seeing my dear friends loosing weight and will also update my status.

Hope for the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You need to meet a proper dietician. Check out any decent hospital in your city.
I'd beg to disagree. I've consulted a few and most folks at decent hospitals have the same low-fat approach parroted out. Its not that simple.

I'd instead advocate finding them out through your local running / cycling etc facebook group - you'll get a better recommendation and an upfront perspective into their philosophy. Whereas at any decent hospital, you're walking in blind.

My best dietary advice was from a local cycling coach, not a dietician. The bigger problem is sticking to the advise in the face of work and travel schedules since most quick / readily available food is heavily biased towards junk food.
Old 25th January 2015, 09:13   #1160
BHPian

@phamilyman

You are very true. Most of the times, the Dieticians make you go through so many unwanted medical tests and finally prescribe those very basic things which every one knows. They are very impractical most of the times as far as my experience goes with those Dieticians whom my family members visited.

What did your local cycling coach say?
Old 25th January 2015, 14:56   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
@phamilyman

You are very true. Most of the times, the Dieticians make you go through so many unwanted medical tests and finally prescribe those very basic things which every one knows. They are very impractical most of the times as far as my experience goes with those Dieticians whom my family members visited.

What did your local cycling coach say?
No rocket science there. Here are my quick notes.

Avoiding excess caffeine, limiting alcohol, cutting out sodas.
Ratio of calories from carbs:Protein:Fat as 40:30:30

Focusing more on lentils / sambar than say plain idlis etc.

Use myfitnesspal to track. That is key. I was losing weight even if I had 100 cal deficit/day.
Assume under estimated by 300 cal - target about 500 cal deficit / day
40-30-30 for correct harmonal response.
Every meal is 403030 if possible but dont deviate by 20%
2000 cal or 800 cal, 200 gm carb, Fat about 65g, Protein should be 150 gm
Heavily limit cereals grain sugars alcohol Chips
Enjoy as much Lentils legumes vegetables as you need.
Cook in Coconut oil (fried) olive oil (salads).
Fiber is 40-50 gm max.
Protein + fiber are good.
Fructose minimize, two meals / week works for fructose / alcohol
Sodium changes pH. Half a glass of Lime juice to restore pH after a hard ride.

To reach that Fiber 45g target, consider Isabgol supplement, add to salad, drinks; 3 teaspoons
For protein, have 5-6 egg whites ; 1 yolk a day
Have more eggs; one scoop of whey protein is good as well if you can get it cheaply.
Lentils and legumes are good. Roughage and protein.
Liquid enemy #1, juice alcohol contain too much cals.

Track fitness through Fitbit flex, jawbone up 24; polar loop + hrm etc

Limit fruits - have the ones low in Glycemic index. Mango papaya on top i.e heavy moderation.
Modify diet esp protein fibers and fats.

Every four day have a cheat meal, to restart the fatloss 2300-2400 cal difference.
Old 25th January 2015, 15:36   #1162
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree with whatever @phamilyman said. Its very similar to what I am following, actually its almost exactly the same. Except, I don't do the "cheat days".

1) Calorie deficit - This is THE MOST important factor in fat loss. For me at least, its impossible unless I track every single thing that goes in my mouth except water. Myfitnesspal is awesome.

2) More protein and less carbs (but not zero carbs, some carbs needed for the body). Like they say, between 0.7 gram to 1 gram protein per pound of lean body mass.

3) Workout with weights 3 times a week - This is not for fat loss per se, but to avoid/minimize muscle loss along with fat loss.

Its been only one and a half months, but I am already seeing tremendous results with this method.

More details here, this is what I am following: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741

Last edited by rajushank84 : 25th January 2015 at 15:38.
Old 27th January 2015, 20:10   #1163
BHPian

+1 to @phamilyman's comments. The usual low-fat approach parroted around most of the time. And demonising ghee/butter.

@rki2007: Check out the Paleo diet if you can manage that. And if you do take up a physical exercise regime, try not to restrict yourself to only cardio.

All the best and remember that your change in waist (belt) size should be a good enough indicator of your improvement while you undergo your diet change.

Additions:
Empirically experiment and check whether you're lactose/gluten intolerant or not and work your way around it accordingly.

You could try soaking your lentils (and unpolished rice, if you're making the switch) well before cooking.

As for chicken, try switching to naati chicken. I think they're lesser antibiotics laden than their broiler counterparts.
Old 27th January 2015, 20:36   #1164
BHPian

I lost 12kg (79 to 67) in 2 months by just cutting my intake by half and totally avoiding rice. No particular calorie-burning exercise was done. I do not know the science part, but just saying that cutting food intake can help.
Old 29th January 2015, 17:56   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I lost 12kg (79 to 67) in 2 months by just cutting my intake by half and totally avoiding rice. No particular calorie-burning exercise was done. I do not know the science part, but just saying that cutting food intake can help.
Civic-sense - You may have lost weight by cutting food but what you would not have realized is that most weight loss would have come through reduction in Muscle mass unless you were overeating with very high excess calories. I always recommend not to diet very aggressively. reducing weight should be through having a balanced diet as well as exercises. Unfortunately there is no substitute to regular exercise.
Old 29th January 2015, 19:37   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Civic-sense - You may have lost weight by cutting food but what you would not have realized is that most weight loss would have come through reduction in Muscle mass unless you were overeating with very high excess calories. I always recommend not to diet very aggressively. reducing weight should be through having a balanced diet as well as exercises. Unfortunately there is no substitute to regular exercise.
Probably it wasn't wise, but I wasn't exactly starving. From 6 chapathis to 3, From 2 bowls of rice to 3 chapathis. I think I used to overeat earlier. The new moderate quantity food seems to be sufficient for me now.
Old 29th January 2015, 21:05   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Decided it was time to shed a few pounds, as all jeans started morphing from loose-fit to skin-tight. After reading about GM Diet, decided to give it a go.

After 5 days of following this, I am lighter by 3 kgs now and feel healthier. I intend to continue some of the practices of this diet like fruit day, soup night etc going forward as well.
Did you follow this on your own or took guidance from any nutrionist? Did you need to modify any part of it as per Indian cuisine?
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:29   #1168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Probably it wasn't wise, but I wasn't exactly starving. From 6 chapathis to 3, From 2 bowls of rice to 3 chapathis. I think I used to overeat earlier. The new moderate quantity food seems to be sufficient for me now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Did you follow this on your own or took guidance from any nutrionist? Did you need to modify any part of it as per Indian cuisine?
Reducing carbs is good. But surely not zero. Do also note that fruits cannot be a full supplement to food. Some of the fruits are rich in sugar. So if you eat a whole lot of them, it can potentially aid in negating the gain you get by cutting on carbs.
Old 3rd February 2015, 08:45   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I switched to a Keto diet. Lost close to 25 kilos in 90days, waist down by 5-6 inches. Cholesterol well under control ldl dropped significantly and hdl up to healthy levels. Starting weight training from tomorrow and hope to lose some remaining fat now.

Time for a wardrobe makeover now.

Hi Patron, Can i pick your brain a bit more about what you used to eat. Im planning to try Keto but Im concerned about the lack of options available especially for breakfast. I presume you cannot eat at a darshini as literally everything there seems to be carb oriented?
Old 3rd February 2015, 09:38   #1170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik1906 View Post
Hi Patron, Can i pick your brain a bit more about what you used to eat. Im planning to try Keto but Im concerned about the lack of options available especially for breakfast. I presume you cannot eat at a darshini as literally everything there seems to be carb oriented?
This is what you follow. Very well summarized.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3582980

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks