Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 17:35   #1021
Senior - BHPian

No offence to people using Olive oil but if it is purely for weight reduction then it is just burning hole in your pocket and increasing current account deficit of country.

There are better options ideally oil should have unsaturated fats and among them polyunsaturated omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids should be in ratio of 1:2 and mustard oil has ideal ratio. Canola is also good (same plant family).

See oil comparison here.

http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/FatComparison.html

Buy Kacchi ghani (cold pressed ) mustard oil if taste is an issue canola or rice bran is a good option as they have neutral taste.

Rice bran is rich in vitamin E.

Altering oil usage after every few weeks is good.

We keep on altering between rice bran, mustard and sunflower oils at home.

My parents are using same formula for years now and have perfect cholesterol profile despite my mom being overweight.
Old 12th March 2014, 17:51   #1022
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by doble u View Post
Started taking protein post work out in the morning and little bit in the evening to ensure i stay away from carb before sleeping.
What I seen is, having proteins in the evening with water kills almost all the urge to eat junk food. Works like a charm.
Old 12th March 2014, 18:14   #1023
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Asit only sure way to loose weight is to burn more calories then calories you eat.
Brisk walk is one way but jogging will burn some more and working out in Gym even more.

So stop thinking and join back gym, control your diet cutting extra calories .

PS: Honey is fructose + minirals there is no way drinking it in warm water can cut weight.
Actually for most people Honey in warm water becomes substitute of milk and sugar laden big cup of morning tea so there is some reduction in calories consumed.
But seriously for you I don't think this small reduction can help you loose weight from 98kg.

IMHO take honey lemon if you want but then go to gym start with 20 minutes of cardio followed by streatches then weight training atleast 5 exercises with 3 set each end the routine with 10 more minutes of cardio and in tge end stretching exercise for muscles you worked.

Be patient and wait for healthy weight loss you should not try loosing too fast by artificial means.
Thanks amit. But as decided according to bblosts's plan i would start off with walking then jogging. Gym is a strict no as i know after June i wont be stable in Pune for a long time. Walking is something i can continue anywhere. I know Gym makes one loose weight quicker than any other form of exercise, but then to me its should be done in a way that i can manage it anywhere and at anytime. If walking takes a year i still dont mind.
Thanks for your advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
You need to make a plan according to your goals and follow it religiously Asit. There is no short/easy way to lose weight period.
If you eat sabzi then make sure its low in fat or starch/carbs. Like avoid potatoes. Have more protein rich green vegetables.
Dal is great but skip the desi ghee ka tadka instead use olive oil for the tempring.
Dont skip breakfast ,if you eat bread then make sure its either brown or multigrain bread. Branded cornflakes are generally high in sugar so try to avoid them ,have oats instead.

Well said ,join a gym and start working out atleast 5 days a week. I used to jog in my initial days but i had better results after i joined a gym. Cardio+Weight lifting is a great way to lose fat. Remember no pain no gain.

+1
Skip the honey ,its vitamin c which is good for you not the sugar. Have plain lemon water ,warm or cold upto you.

All the best.
Thanks faithless_1984. As said up gymming is a no. The only source of sugar in my diet is tea which i have reduced by using sugarfree. I make sure that i dont skip breakfast. And i have kept all other diet points in mind. No short cuts this time. I chose a longer route but will surely complete it.Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I will surely post about some reduction in weight within 6 months.
Old 12th March 2014, 18:18   #1024

I have installed Runtastic for my daily evening walks , it gives u inputs on calories burnt, distance travelled , elevation . It also maps your activity U can also set up distance or calories target and walk / run to that set up goal.
It's quite motivating to see that I cover my target of 6 kms by continuosly reducing my time. All in all a very good app if you are into any sport .
Old 13th March 2014, 11:33   #1025

[quote=asit.kulkarni93;3388041]Hello all,
. Mornings are uncertain either its just tea with toasted bread or corn flakes or nothing ( which leads to a heavy lunch). Now can someone please give me a certain direction as to how i should loose weight?

Hi Asit,

I can understand your situation as I too damaged ligaments in my knee while playing football. The doctor quoted surgery and my parents flatly refused. even now when I climb lots of stairs or do some serious running I get back the pain.

Nonetheless, I think you should stick to whatever you really want to do. It can be swimming, jogging, tennis or any other sports which involves exercise (Wii not included ). If you look at these only a means to reduce your weight, you will surely get bored and start gaining back again. You should feel good.

Additionally, please do not skip breakfast. it powers you till afternoon and skipping it really makes no sense. You should take proteins which slow down your digestion and makes you feel less hungry. Lobia, Rajma, Soya Beans, Paneer. Ask you instructor to recommend more. Take the proteins post workout and early evening.

This coupled with regular exercise should work wonders.

All said and done, please note that I am not a doctor, I am telling you this from personal exp. Please reach out a registered practitioner should you require further suggestions.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:04   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Last Dec - 24th Dec 2013 I was overweight (I am 172cm tall and I weighed 85 kgs, BMI - 28) and had high triglycerides and used to get acid refluxes if I had food later than 8 pm in the night. My waist was nearing 37 inches. During my late teens and early 20s I used to weigh 60-64 kgs and was a regular badminton player. I had given up exercising since job demanded most of my daytime and sometimes nights too.

On 25th Dec I decided to enroll myself into Snapfitness the 24hr fitness center near my home. During my first week I used to walk at 6 kmph most of the 15 min and run for maybe 3-4 min at 8 kmph. During the first few days when Snapfitness instructor takes your fitness test I could run only 0.9 km in 6 min and was totally out of breath with my heart Rate going as high as 177.

Today 11 weeks later I weigh 79.5 kgs. A reduction of 5.5 kgs at 0.5 kgs a week. More importantly I have built a good stamina on treadmill I can do 5 km run in 32 min. My routine thus far has been focused on Cardio with a purpose of weight reduction. I do treadmill for 35 min (Typically cover 5.5 kms) and do various strength routines alternating upper and lower body on alternate days. I try to hit the gym 5 days a week at least. I hope to achieve a weight of 70 kgs by end of 2014.
I haven't drastically changed my diet but have reduced consuming sweets (I am a sweet tooth :-)). I have also limited my Carb intake and have started eating Brown rice instead of the normal white rice. I do take most vegies and fruits.

I will keep posting my progress as time goes by. What I enjoy most is the post Gym energy and the high I get due to adrenalin.
Old 26th May 2014, 20:45   #1027
BHPian

I'm sure most if not all on this thread must be owning a personal weighing scale, which one do you guys prefer a mechanical one or the digital one?

Any specific brands you trust over others owing to their accuracy, robustness, reliability etc.?

I am looking for one and can find tons on amazon and flipkart, a little confused by the variety of brands most of which seem chinese made and not really sure which one I should buy, most of these also seem to have glass top, isn't it risky and prone to accidental breakage?

Appreciate any inputs and pointers to specific brands I can go for.

Thanks in advance
Old 26th May 2014, 20:52   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Appreciate any inputs and pointers to specific brands I can go for.
I have digital Morepen (http://www.morepen.com/Weighing-Scales-digital.htm). They are bit expensive, so far no reason to complain.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:20   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Report 2 - This report is 10 weeks after my first one. I weigh slightly less than 75 Kgs. a good progress from where I left off. I try to hit the gym 4-5 times a week and spend 75 to 90 min. Current focus has shifted from cardio to strength exercises. I still do cardio for first 30 min. I can do 5 kms easily in 30 min without excessively getting tired. Then I do either the upper body strength exercise or lower body (Including Abs) on alternate days. I am on my path to achieve 70 kgs by year end weight target as well as achieving <25 min for 5 km distance. I have changed my wardrobe as my waist has reduced from 37.5 to 34 inches.

On the diet front I have been cheating a bit. Once in a while I do indulge in sweets or Ice creams.

Last edited by DieselFan : 27th May 2014 at 10:21.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:32   #1030
BHPian

Garmin Vivofit fitness band

Flipkart has introduced Garmin Vivofit fitness band, expensive, but maybe it can motivate?

If anyone buys it or has it already, can they give feedback?
Old 8th August 2014, 11:27   #1031
Senior - BHPian

I need ideas here folks. I am quite fed up of where things are and need ideas on how to reboot my fitness:
I've been flirting around the 105 kg mark, yo-yoing anywhere from 101 to 108 every now and then without any pattern. I'm 5'11. Last week was 103- now its up to 108.
Over the last three months, standalone carbs are very low. My meals comprise of egg whites/peanuts/papaya/watermelon for breakfast, lunch is a salad with beans. dinner is 2-3 eggs bhurji + 2 bowls of sabzi (paneer + kadhi / dal / aloo gobhi / tofu / gobhi / spinach). After eggs, paneer and spinach are my sabzi mainstays. I dont consume rice or roti or any soft drink or alcohol. The only luxury is 1-3 red bulls every week because I take a red eye flight every week and I cannot pull through monday without RB. I have found it much more potent than plain caffeine. I would max have 1-2 rotis on the weekend when I dine out, otherwise none.
I have boost whey protein shakes for afternoon / evening (>40g protein each meal) since almost a month. I don't snack.

Except last week - I have being going religiously to fitness classes every Sat/Sunday (3 hours every week). This is a fairly intense mix of cardio and bit of strength (?) training without machines (dumbbells, small weights, squats, pushups etc).

What am I doing wrong? I don't know what I should be doing now. I have read enough books - I am ready to pay good $ to any competent trainer+nutritionist in Chennai who can help me reduce. The only thing i'm not willing to do is severe caloric restriction because neither do I believe in it, nor is it sustainable with my kinda travel (I've already logged around 70 flights this year, most are red-eye flights). Cutting food or too much calories causes unsustainable hunger pangs.

last in 2010 beginning when I was cycling >500km/month + ~7-8km walking around a giant construction site, my weight was down to 88 kg. It has hovered thereafter above 100 but I wasnt doing anything in discipline except about 200-300km cycling. Now I've turned up the exercise, focused on protein, cut carbs and I don't have anything to show.

This is really disheartening.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:15   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Phamilyman, I can understand how stressful it can become when you wish to lose weight but couldn't. I am no expert or shall I say I'd not have read the amount of material that you'd have read. But after reading your post, I couldn't help but ask a question. In all the weight reduction articles, one thing mentioned is that the amount of intake of calories should be less than 500 calories than what your body requires each day. Normally it is assumed an average individual would expend about 2000 calories so if he can restrict the food intake to 1500 then he is on track for weight reduction. Are you following this rule?

From your food menu, I couldn't make out if you are consuming 1500 or 2000 or 3000.

Please note, I am not saying you should eat less but suggesting that if you like to eat 3000 calories then make sure you include physical work/exercise that would consume 3500 calories. I believe, if you don't follow this, no amount of mix an match of food/exercise would help to keep it in check or bring it down.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:48   #1033
BANNED

Quote:
last in 2010 beginning when I was cycling >500km/month + ~7-8km walking around a giant construction site, my weight was down to 88 kg.
Go back to your 2010 plan. I feel your carb intake is still high. Protein intake is very high. I do not think you need the protein shake. Just cutting on it will make you lose apprx 500 cal daily. Too many eggs too. 2 max and take their yolks as well. Try to calculate calories too. It will give you a better idea. If you want I will mail you diet plan which I have made for myself according to our Indian food habits. It is very comprehensive and being in pdf format and you can add or subtract values to arrive at your calorie requirements. Do PM me your email.

And no you dont need to make a drastic reduction in your daily food to lose weight. Apart from everything else it is also not healthy in the long term and once you are back on your diet your body takes its vengeance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Please note, I am not saying you should eat less but suggesting that if you like to eat 3000 calories then make sure you include physical work/exercise that would consume 3500 calories. I believe, if you don't follow this, no amount of mix an match of food/exercise would help to keep it in check or bring it down.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:55   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Phamilyman, I can understand how stressful it can become when you wish to lose weight but couldn't. I am no expert or shall I say I'd not have read the amount of material that you'd have read. But after reading your post, I couldn't help but ask a question. In all the weight reduction articles, one thing mentioned is that the amount of intake of calories should be less than 500 calories than what your body requires each day. Normally it is assumed an average individual would expend about 2000 calories so if he can restrict the food intake to 1500 then he is on track for weight reduction. Are you following this rule?

From your food menu, I couldn't make out if you are consuming 1500 or 2000 or 3000.

See that's the only thing I don't believe in, actually. There's a whole body of scientific evidence against it - its one of those perspectives that everyone trots out but no one measures. It works for a few but not for most:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2393005
There was no relationship between energy intake and adiposity although leanness and exercise were related (p less than 0.001). No differences were found between groups for energy intake but the lean individuals exercised more often than did the obese individuals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8195547
No differences were found between lean and obese subjects for energy intake or total sugar intake

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/0...-dont-cut-fat/
954cal/day excess over 8 weeks.
OR 15.3 kg weight gain based on the math often suggested. In reality they gained 7.7 lb or 3.5 kg, only <25% starting from a healthy base.

If that math was right, why did people gain so little?

I'm currently reading Gary Taubes and Jonathan Bailor's book on the subject which talk abut this perspective.
Old 8th August 2014, 13:29   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
I need ideas here folks. I am quite fed up of where things are and need ideas on how to reboot my fitness:
I've been flirting around the 105 kg mark, yo-yoing anywhere from 101 to 108 every now and then without any pattern. I'm 5'11. Last week was 103- now its up to 108.

Phamilyman,

I understand your plight. I was on similar stats (BMI of 33) and finally gave up till I came across Cambridge Diet Plan and it all changed. It is a tough diet but effective if you have the will power. I have done a lot of research on the effectiveness and the risks of the plan before jumping into it. I personally know 2 people who completed the 12 weeks and lost about 3 stones (They were smaller to start with). I am into the second week of the plan and already down 12 kgs (2 stones).

It is a 3 month plan and expect to hit my ideal weight by then. It is based on VLCD and is known to pull down the weight rapidly and after the 12weeks it is upto you to modify your lifestyle and maintain it.

But from seeing your commitment, should be possible for you.

There are a lot of reviews and support forums where you can check the effectiveness. But let me repeat, the first 3 - 4 days are tough. Once past this, it is a breeze and the sheer weight loss itself is a big motivator at this point. I am on day 11 and going strong.

All the best. See this for some inspiration

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks