Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2014, 12:25   #991
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Has any one here followed the Four Hour Body? I've almost finished the book. Its very engaging and very compelling, planning to take it up shortly.

the part i really agree with them is the bit about fructose/fruits. I think fruits are over-hyped in today's day and age. What our ancestors ate were wild fruit, not concentrates of this carefully cultivated sugar saturated fruit varieties!!
Old 26th February 2014, 16:56   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Every one I know ends up using a treadmill for hanging laundry to dry, till they find someone else to sell it to. It is the most boring form of exercise there can be. Ditto for stationary cycles and ellipticals.
I beg to differ on this line of thought.

I have a stationary cycle at home and find it very useful.

- I can spend time with my family and watch my favourite TV shows while using the stationary bike.
- I don't have to worry about the weather outside, I can use it even when its raining outside.
- I can exercise in the privacy and safety of my home. If I was commuting on the road on a regular cycle, I would have to worry about my safety from other vehicles and the dust and dirt on the road.

Rohan
Old 26th February 2014, 17:51   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Has any one here followed the Four Hour Body? I've almost finished the book. Its very engaging and very compelling, planning to take it up shortly.

the part i really agree with them is the bit about fructose/fruits. I think fruits are over-hyped in today's day and age. What our ancestors ate were wild fruit, not concentrates of this carefully cultivated sugar saturated fruit varieties!!
Yup mostly berries and locally available seasonal fruits. That said fruits are ok. Whats overhyped are bad sources of nutrition like oats/corn flakes which even animals would refuse to eat. Also, the wonderful part where they are marketed as great sources of fiber never ceases to amaze me. A single pear fruit or half bowl of boiled veggies has more fibre than 100 gms of oats.
Old 26th February 2014, 17:53   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I beg to differ on this line of thought.

I have a stationary cycle at home and find it very useful.

- I can spend time with my family and watch my favourite TV shows while using the stationary bike.
- I don't have to worry about the weather outside, I can use it even when its raining outside.
- I can exercise in the privacy and safety of my home. If I was commuting on the road on a regular cycle, I would have to worry about my safety from other vehicles and the dust and dirt on the road.

Rohan
Most stationary cycles are designed very very badly. If you use it for long periods, you will end up doing more bad to your body than good. The better alternative is to get a normal cycle with a stationary trainer.
Old 26th February 2014, 21:37   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Most stationary cycles are designed very very badly. If you use it for long periods, you will end up doing more bad to your body than good. The better alternative is to get a normal cycle with a stationary trainer.
UNLESS you enable yourself and buy this beauty!
http://www.proform.com/fitness/en/Pr...nce-Centennial
The Weight Loss Thread-pfex01912_gallery_lg_2.jpg
Old 27th February 2014, 09:31   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Has any one here followed the Four Hour Body?

Can you PM me the PDF link if you have any?

Pramod
Old 27th February 2014, 10:06   #997
BHPian

My $0.02...

Before we buy any equipment first test your consistency by doing different things like gym, walking, jogging, etc. If you are regular for 1 or 2 months, then think of an equipment.

For the three major types of exercises (cardio, strengthening & flexibility) gym is best place to balance all these. Even if you buy an equipment you should still focus on other types too.
Old 27th February 2014, 11:26   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

Pramod
Bought it on my kindle app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
My $0.02...

Before we buy any equipment first test your consistency by doing different things like gym, walking, jogging, etc. If you are regular for 1 or 2 months, then think of an equipment.

For the three major types of exercises (cardio, strengthening & flexibility) gym is best place to balance all these. Even if you buy an equipment you should still focus on other types too.
True.
Old 27th February 2014, 15:38   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
If you must do indoor exercises, another reason in favour of a gym is that the routine of going to a place and the company one finds there makes it easier to stick to the routine. And the better gyms have the heavy duty equipment needed for safer and more effective workouts.
Old 27th February 2014, 18:50   #1000
BANNED

Treadmill is not good for knees. Infact it is worse than concrete jogging tracks. Bike is a better alternative.
Old 27th February 2014, 21:45   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Could you please elaborate on this ? I am genuinely concerned.

Rohan
Old 28th February 2014, 08:12   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Could you please elaborate on this ? I am genuinely concerned.

Rohan
1 -> We'll cycles need to be of a certain geometry to fit one's body. Hence, there are different frame sizes available for outdoor bikes. What happens with stationary bikes is that the frame is fixed. You just adjust the handle height and the saddle height. This isnt the right way of setting up a bike.

2 -> Most people keep the saddles too low while using stationary cycles. Trying this on an outdoor bike will be very awkward. It will be very difficult to maintain stability and balance.

3 -> These bikes have seats and not saddles. One hour of good spinning will leave your groin pretty numb. This is very dangerous. Saddles need to be just big enough to support the hip bones and should be hard/firm. The ones on most stationary bikes are way to big with lots if cushion.

4 -> Hill climbing simulated by most normally used indoor bikes is way different from what is experienced in real outdoor hill climbing. The technique one is forced to use on indoor bikes (to do with geometry) is bad.
Old 28th February 2014, 20:33   #1003
BHPian

Hope I am posting this in the right thread.

Can someone please recommend a good stationary cycle within a 5k budget.
It must be maintenance free and must have the speedo and odometer.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 28th February 2014, 20:40   #1004
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

Pramod
PM me your email id will send you the pdf.

Rajesh.
Old 10th March 2014, 22:09   #1005
BANNED

Hello all,
So finally i have decided to reduce my weight seriously. I made many determinations and have failed all the times. This time i really want to. So i am about 20 years old. When I was 17, i had this accident where my knee ligaments were damaged they took their own time to heal and i put on weight like hell. I shifted to india 2.5 years back when i joined a gym. I did Gym for 6 months. Till the 3rd month i had lost about 10kgs after which the gym owner changed my plan and focused mainly on body building by the time my new instructor realized that, it was a little late. I had changed my house and then stopped the gym. Finally came down to brisk walking seriously, did for a week and then college,acads.etc. became a hurdle. Now i have about 3 months free. Not free but i have time to focus on my health. I had joined lawn tennis in between but it didnt work out much for me. My mom has asked me to join back lawn tennis. a part of me says start brisk walking seriously but the other part says you will again loose your schedule so start something else (like kick boxing). I weigh about 98kgs which is too bad. As for the diet i am a pure veg. have stopped all pani puris, sadwiches, macd visits. My usual diet consists of 2-3 chapatis and sabji. If i eat one or one and half chapati then i take dal-rice. In the evening its just chapatis or i prefer khichdi. Mornings are uncertain either its just tea with toasted bread or corn flakes or nothing ( which leads to a heavy lunch). Now can someone please give me a certain direction as to how i should loose weight?

Thanks,
Asit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks