Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2013, 20:39   #826
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Can someone help me understand why do I have such high weight without it being visible at 1st look. I've 6.0 ft and 6.1 ft friends barely managing 90kgs but aren't broad shouldered like me.

Does a concept like 'heavy bones' exist? I recon that I can go till 90 kgs without it not showing. If I go to 85 kgs my face will lose its vigour and my limbs and all will look improper. This everyone told me when I was on a weight loss program earlier.
Its probably your lower body that carries most of the weight. And don't worry, its not that easy to get huge biceps and bulging shoulder muscles. Do weight training, its very important to build the muscles around your joints. Do a lot of reps with low weights and that will tone your muscles rather than bulking them up. I am about 6'1 and weigh about 88-89. I play basketball atleast 5 times a week and lift weights 3 times a week. I do the following weight training with 5-10 kg dumbbells.

http://tracker.dailyburn.com/workout...with-Dumbbells

Its been pretty helpful to me. I have toned down and feel a lot better. Try to get your weight down as much as you can (probably around 85kgs). The problem starts when you age and your knees start acting up. Hope this helps.

Last edited by noopster : 29th August 2013 at 20:47. Reason: Please don't quote a large post in its entirety- makes things difficult for mobile/small-screen users
Old 29th August 2013, 20:50   #827
Distinguished - BHPian

@abs182- I suffer from the same problem. Have friends who look about the same weight as me but are in fact 5-10 kg lighter. I think the trick is not to focus too much on weight as a measure but rather on health indicators (BP, lipid count, blood sugar etc.) and more importnatly on how you feel. Reducing inches from your waistline is a much better indicator if you ask me.
Old 30th August 2013, 10:20   #828
Senior - BHPian

To the thread:
There is one more reason why you may look less fat but weight heavier than others (at the same height).

The bone angle is of course there. Some people have higher bone densities, some people have large bone structure.

Similarly some people have higher visceral fat (don't look as chubby), some people have higher subcutaneous fat (look chubby).
Old 30th August 2013, 11:22   #829
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
To the thread:
Similarly some people have higher visceral fat (don't look as chubby), some people have higher subcutaneous fat (look chubby).
I am a little confused here, from what I have read .. people with Visceral fat will have protruding bellies and the likes Cause this is the fat that accumulates over the organs and covers them. Then how can they not be chubby ? or is is that the body type is pear shaped and rest all is not so fat whereas people with subcutaneous fat will be fat overall, like fat arms and legs etc.. ??
Old 30th August 2013, 15:48   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
I am a little confused here, from what I have read .. people with Visceral fat will have protruding bellies and the likes Cause this is the fat that accumulates over the organs and covers them. Then how can they not be chubby ? or is is that the body type is pear shaped and rest all is not so fat whereas people with subcutaneous fat will be fat overall, like fat arms and legs etc.. ??
Yes you are correct.
Just like the bone structure and bone density, the fat distribution is also based on your genetic makeup (which may be different from your parent's).

The chubby subcutaneous fat look is when you have jiggly baby fat all over you.
Visceral fat is when your body doesn't look so but still has significant fat content inside (between the organs).
Old 31st August 2013, 12:51   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post

Thanks for your tips w 12. Total 6 hours work out a week looks reasonable however most of us do not get a chance regularly. With lot of struggle I manage two 1 hour sessions with 60% cardio workout and 40% weight training.

If we could turn some of our regular tasks to help burn calories, thats more practical isn't it? For example, cycling to office if its <5KMs radius. Climbing stairs avoiding elevators. Walking to nearby shops, leaving the car home.

Another big issue I am facing is my sleep duration. 6 hours doesn't look enough .
6 hours is definitely less. 7 hours is minimum required sleep to keep one healthy.
Old 1st September 2013, 21:02   #832
BANNED

I have observed lot of activity on this thread. Just want to understand if anybody is following atkins diet here

I happen to see BBC documentary on atkins backed by many research experiments that it works .. though "How" part still seems to be mistry along with long term impacts.

Concept seems to be very simple eat whatever you want (high in protein including oil etc) except for sugar and carbohydrates. Book written by Dr. Atkins is largest selling .. higher than Harry Potter

Last edited by idea : 1st September 2013 at 21:04.
Old 2nd September 2013, 01:38   #833
BHPian

Had been following this thread over the last couple of weeks. Thought ill share what I was up to as well.

I am 5 feet 8 inches and my weight was around 75kgs (+- 1 kg) for quite sometime. Weight never really bothered me back then coz I was very normal - Not very slim, not very fat as well. Had a pretty active lifestyle then. Used to play a lot of outdoor games. However, I had put on some weight over the last 2 years due to various reasons. Pretty much stopped all the activities. Bad diet and bad sleep patterns didn't help either.

All the load pretty much came down in July and I thought ill work on my fitness. Checked my weight and yeah, as expected, I was 82.5. That's around 8 KGS in 2 years. Not bad gain at all.

Never really knew about any diets and what a body would need. Did some reading online and got some basic information of what to avoid and how much my body would need (Calories per day, Proteins, Carbs and fat). Did some research on the different kinds of food that I eat everyday and the nutrition value of them and prepared a basic diet plan. I did not want to change my diet drastically since I wanted to sustain it for a longer duration. Thought there is no point starving - Aim was cut down on all the really bad things I used to have in my diet. Some of the advice on this thread helped a lot.

End of the day, all that I knew that would matter was the amount of calories that I eat should be less than the amount that I spend per day.

Started running on July 7th 2013. I somehow don't like running in the gym. So, it was only outdoor running. Aim was to run 5km everyday for 6 days a week.

I am about to hit 2 months now and I am happy that I have been able to sustain the diet and the work plan without much stress. Yeah, I have indulged in some sweets here and there, but, I guess its Ok. 6 days / week was what I aimed, but I see that my avg is around 5 days of running per week. I use the 'My tracks' app from Google to keep a tab on my running distance, time, avg time, running time etc.

I checked my weight last on 15th August (around 5 weeks after I started off). I was 80.1 Kgs (Checked on the same time of the day and after the workout). That's a total loss of around 2.5 Kg's at a rate of 0.5 Kg's every week. I am pretty sure I would have gone down to around 78.5 or 79 by now. Aim is to hit that 75 mark that I was before. I would need 2 more months at this rate. I really do not mind it at all. I feel a lot healthier already.

Is there anything that you think I am doing wrong? Is the weight reduction rate fast / slow or ok?

To make the running more interesting, I keep varying the pattern of running. Sprints with many breaks, relaxed jog with less breaks, timed runs and a lot more. I was doing 5km's in around 50 mins when I started out. I do it now in around 37 to 40 mins on average. On a couple of days, I have really tried to get it under 30 mins (that's an avg running speed of 10kmph), I did it in 34 mins once. I also sustained and avg of 11kmph for 18 mins on one day but was totally exhausted by the end of it. Its fun challenging myself. All these numbers makes me more motivated and keeps me going somehow. Being in IIT Bombay with a beautiful campus and friends for company helps as well (I have created 5 different courses of varying length inside the campus). Cheers
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:21   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
I have observed lot of activity on this thread. Just want to understand if anybody is following atkins diet here

I happen to see BBC documentary on atkins backed by many research experiments that it works .. though "How" part still seems to be mistry along with long term impacts.

Concept seems to be very simple eat whatever you want (high in protein including oil etc) except for sugar and carbohydrates. Book written by Dr. Atkins is largest selling .. higher than Harry Potter
Atkin's diet is nothing great. The same has been done by almost all the bodybuilder's since organized shows came about in early 20th century.

The concept is simple: your body is made up of proteins and fats. Your body requires carbs only as a fuel. Cut down the fuel if you want to lose body stored fat deposits (and performance too), increase the fuel if you want to improve performance.

As long as you are feeding fuel to the body, it almost never tries to use the stored fats. After a period of 2-3 days carb fasting, your body starts using the fat storage in your body for the fuel for survival. This happens via ketosis.
You may have heard of Keto(genic) diet ... the same stuff.

I don't know much about the documented long term effects of such diets, but do keep in mind, people in India have been fasting (not the usual binging on potato = fasting that happens for most Indians) for looong loooooong time without any harm.

Last edited by alpha1 : 2nd September 2013 at 10:22.
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:16   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
o
I checked my weight last on 15th August (around 5 weeks after I started off). I was 80.1 Kgs (Checked on the same time of the day and after the workout). That's a total loss of around 2.5 Kg's at a rate of 0.5 Kg's every week. I am pretty sure I would have gone down to around 78.5 or 79 by now. Aim is to hit that 75 mark that I was before. I would need 2 more months at this rate. I really do not mind it at all. I feel a lot healthier already.

Is there anything that you think I am doing wrong? Is the weight reduction rate fast / slow or ok?

Rate of reduction is pretty OK , but continue for 3-6 months at-least to see visible results and in about 6 to 8 months your weight will reach a stable state that is it won't reduce beyond a point so don't worry about it.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:19   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You're doing fine . As long as you are enjoying the routine and able to sustain it, along with following a healthy diet that works for you, you are absolutely on the right track. Don't become a slave to the numbers: your weight may not be that far away from your optimum weight in the first place, so the drastic reduction you see described here by some may not be observed in your case. Everybody's body is different.

Are you losing inches? Sometimes that is much more obvious (and delightful) than weight loss. All my trousers fit me loosely now, including stuff I had bought as recently as May. And more importantly, relevant health indicators like blood pressure, Hb1Ac (long-term blood sugar) etc. are much improved. I don't focus overmuch on weight loss, which incidentally has taken place as well.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:21   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Rate of reduction is pretty OK , but continue for 3-6 months at-least to see visible results and in about 6 to 8 months your weight will reach a stable state that is it won't reduce beyond a point so don't worry about it.
Thanks. Hope I continue it for that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Are you losing inches? Sometimes that is much more obvious (and delightful) than weight loss. All my trousers fit me loosely now, including stuff I had bought as recently as May. And more importantly, relevant health indicators like blood pressure, Hb1Ac (long-term blood sugar) etc. are much improved. I don't focus overmuch on weight loss, which incidentally has taken place as well.
That's really nice knowing that you have lost a lot of Inches.

Will have to go get my BP and Sugar levels checked. Will do that soon.

Yeah. I have lost some inches as well. Those few 'Just about fit' trousers fit a lot more better now. Although, I think its not a real drastic difference visually to others.

Interesting that you brought this point up, I do not want to ask a noob question, but, from what I have heard and read, its the body that decides where to take the fat off from (face, tummy, legs etc). I have a few friends of mine who have lost considerable amount of weight and it shows in the way the face becomes slimmer (if I may call it that). What are the initially tell tale signs that you are losing weight? Is there an order for it? Like face fat first and then tummy fat? Like I said, I know it depends on body types and what it decides, but, generally, what would be the trend?

Also, should I be taking any protein supplements? I see some discussions in this thread on it but I am all lost. I am new to all this. I do only running and nothing else. If yes, which one should I start off with? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:41   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting that you brought this point up, I do not want to ask a noob question, but, from what I have heard and read, its the body that decides where to take the fat off from (face, tummy, legs etc). I have a few friends of mine who have lost considerable amount of weight and it shows in the way the face becomes slimmer (if I may call it that). What are the initially tell tale signs that you are losing weight? Is there an order for it? Like face fat first and then tummy fat? Like I said, I know it depends on body types and what it decides, but, generally, what would be the trend?
You lose weight when you expend more calories than you consume. The difference is made up by burning fat stored in the body. So safe to say that the fatty parts of your body will 'reduce' first. Adipose tissue on the tummy, around the face, upper chest, butt etc. is usually the first to go (at least in my case). As you pointed out, the face does become slimmer- I jokingly refer to it as "losing my extra chins".
Tell-tale signs? Well, check your bathroom mirror. Once you start losing weight, it immediately becomes obvious within a few weeks.

Quote:
Also, should I be taking any protein supplements? I see some discussions in this thread on it but I am all lost. I am new to all this. I do only running and nothing else. If yes, which one should I start off with? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
My suggestion is follow a balanced though limited-calorie diet and stay away from supplements unless you really have any nutrient deficiency. I am taking flax oil, wheatgrass (to increase metabolic rate), fish oil (for Omega 3) and a couple of others but if you consume meat, eggs, milk etc. you should be able to find all the proteins you need in your regular diet. Check with a professional dietician or a doctor for your specific needs.
Strength training with moderate weights can go a long way in scuplting your body as you drop weight. Otherwise your body may end up losing definition and though you lose weight you may not look as good. Also weight training increases your caloric burn rate and may in fact help with further weight loss as well. Don't worry too much about muscle weight (muscle is heavier than fat, like for like, so people panic when their weight starts to increase instead of decrease). I would rather weigh 90 kg and be healthy/muscular than a weak and "perfect" 75
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:54   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Interesting that you brought this point up, I do not want to ask a noob question, but, from what I have heard and read, its the body that decides where to take the fat off from (face, tummy, legs etc). I have a few friends of mine who have lost considerable amount of weight and it shows in the way the face becomes slimmer (if I may call it that). What are the initially tell tale signs that you are losing weight? Is there an order for it? Like face fat first and then tummy fat? Like I said, I know it depends on body types and what it decides, but, generally, what would be the trend?.
There are broadly two kinds of fat deposits in body subcutaneous that is below your skin all over and visceral fat which surrounds the internal organs and is responsible for pot belly.

Generally you will loose subcutaneous fat earlier and faster , our body is evolved for pre-historic times when surviving hunger spread over several days was important and visceral fat store helped. Or I would say technology has leapfrogged biological evolution and now we never get chance to use visceral fat in our lifetime.
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:59   #840
BHPian

Quote:

To make the running more interesting, I keep varying the pattern of running. Sprints with many breaks, relaxed jog with less breaks, timed runs and a lot more. I was doing 5km's in around 50 mins when I started out. I do it now in around 37 to 40 mins on average. On a couple of days, I have really tried to get it under 30 mins (that's an avg running speed of 10kmph), I did it in 34 mins once. I also sustained and avg of 11kmph for 18 mins on one day but was totally exhausted by the end of it. Its fun challenging myself. All these numbers makes me more motivated and keeps me going somehow. Being in IIT Bombay with a beautiful campus and friends for company helps as well (I have created 5 different courses of varying length inside the campus). Cheers
Might I suggest that you attend a few Nike Run Club sessions (happens at Kandivali @ Mumbai and Kanteerava Stadium @ Bangalore) on Saturday mornings to pick up some basics of stretches and core-strengthening bodyweight exercises to supplement your running?

Quote:

The order in which fat (subcutaneous/visceral) starts "melting" off can sometimes depend on your genes from what I've heard my trainer say.

Re: protein supplements, as has already been suggested, a nutritionist's advice would be great to get. I drink a whey-protein shake before my weight training and running/cycling sessions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks