Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2013, 08:50   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Guys,

Instead of eating these things, I am thinking of having fruits/juices. How about banana/orange/watermelon?
No fruit juice, not even freshly squeezed. Eat the whole fruit instead, on an empty stomach, at least 2 hours after the prior meal.
Following this practice, I find that even fruits like mangoes and others can be had without weight gain. This does mean no fruit for dessert.
PS: what is the point of living through the heat of an Indian summer if one can't eat the best mangoes in the world that bless it?! I have found that I can eat all the mangoes I want, without adding weight. The trick is to have them in the earlier parts of the day, and make a meal of them. Eat them on an empty stomach, don't eat anything with them, or an hour after.

Last edited by Sawyer : 19th July 2013 at 09:01. Reason: PS
Old 19th July 2013, 11:04   #782
Senior - BHPian

As per the first result in Google search

Mango has 60 calories per 100 gms where as much touted apple is 52 calories per 100 gms. For comparison sake bread has 289 calories per 100gm.

So I don't know why all this fuss locally grown tasty mangoes are 1/3ed to 1/4th the price of Fuji or Washington red apples and have less carbon footprint.
Whereas in west the situation is just reverse so most of the websites promote apples rather then exotic ( for them) mangoes.

Mango is great source of minerals and vitamin A, antioxidants , beta and alpha carotene.
Unless one is seriously diabetic then eating 1 mango daily ( 100 - 150gms) is perfectly fine IMHO
Old 19th July 2013, 12:09   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Mango is great source of minerals and vitamin A, antioxidants , beta and alpha carotene.
Unless one is seriously diabetic then eating 1 mango daily ( 100 - 150gms) is perfectly fine IMHO
Right - except that they aren't available through out the year to be eating them daily, unfortunately. Make most of the mango season, eat to your heart's content in fruit form in the manner I have written, and compensate by not eating any other fruit in mango season!
Old 19th July 2013, 12:16   #784
BHPian

@ ajayr , Bravo

That needs lot of determination and hard work. I know that from experience.

I have reduced from a peak of 113 Kgs 2 year ago to 75 kgs now. Have been maintaining 75 Kgs for past 6 months.

For my height of 186 cms, this means a BMI of 21.7 which I feel is just right.

Have never felt fitter or stronger than this any time earlier .
Old 19th July 2013, 12:31   #785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
I have reduced from a peak of 113 Kgs 2 year ago to 75 kgs now. Have been maintaining 75 Kgs for past 6 months.

For my height of 186 cms, this means a BMI of 21.7 which I feel is just right.

Have never felt fitter or stronger than this any time earlier .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Losing 40kilos is very doable. I went from 105 to 70 in ten months in 2006, and then again from 105 to 75 in 2012. The mistake I made from 2007-2012 is common - not eating right in between.

Now, although I still run and lift heavy, I have also changed the way I eat, not what I eat. That has allowed me to stay at 75 for a year now. At 54 years age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
Hi,

I started a low-carb-high-fat diet sometime in May this year, after loosing more than 30 Kgs (from 100Kgs to 70Kgs) over a period of one year following a conventional calorie restricted diet + exercise. Since I started my weight loss journey I have been hooked on to endurance sports: running, cycling and swimming.
You guys are an inspiration to everyone following this thread. Do keep up the great work and be sure to list any potential pitfalls for those of us who are still on the journey to fitness. In fact I would say for every one of us it is a journey because you cannot let your guard down even once you have achieved your goal. The next step is to maintain it!

Old 19th July 2013, 12:53   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
In fact I would say for every one of us it is a journey because you cannot let your guard down even once you have achieved your goal. The next step is to maintain it!
The last part is THE most difficult. Indeed, it is so difficult that it is worthwhile thinking about it while you are losing weight. Ask yourself the question that is what you are doing to lose the weight something that you can do for the rest of your life? On the exercise front, it has to be something you enjoy doing - not an ordeal. On the eating front too, it has to be something that you see yourself doing for the rest of your life. Eating well and enjoying it, staying healthy, and not being overweight have to be achieved together for sustainability. It isn't a trade off.
Old 21st July 2013, 12:27   #787
BHPian

It has been a week since I started focusing on my diet and I am very happy to present my report for the week:

1. In the past 7 days, I had rice just once! Rice is cooked almost daily for other family members but I do not have it.

2. I have only chapatti and sabzi and did not put Ghee on the chapatti.

3. I have been having lots of fruit juices without sugar. Although I need to have them on empty stomach.

4. I avoided eating outside food. Even when I went for a movie, I avoided popcorn/cold drinks and just had water.

5. Fried food intake has been reduced.

I noticed that my sleep pattern has been changed a bit and I attribute this to the change in my diet. I think the body will need to get used to the change in diet for my new sleep pattern.

In short, I have not started eating healthy stuff but I am trying initially to cut down on eating unhealthy stuff.
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:43   #788
Senior - BHPian

I am not able to manage time for Gym due to my work schedules. I am 5'9". Few steps I have taken in past 1 year to control my weight include and result is 84kg to 78kg.
  1. Avoid lifts and elevators where ever possible and use stairs
  2. If there is an opportunity to walk peacefully, do that
  3. Reduce rice intake
  4. Avoid bakery dishes like puffs, samosas etc when ever possible
  5. Reduced red meat intake
  6. Increased fruits and vegetables intake
  7. Started chosing curries over fried varieties
Old 4th August 2013, 21:14   #789
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just had a small question - What are the source of protein for a vegetarian? I would like to know the common things and not things like protein shake etc.

P.S.- Do protein shakes contain egg? Or they can be consumed by vegetarians?
Old 4th August 2013, 21:24   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Just had a small question - What are the source of protein for a vegetarian? I would like to know the common things and not things like protein shake etc.

Soya beans, sprouts are very good source of protein for vegetarians.

http://www.howmuchprotein.com/foods/soya-beans/

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...or-vegans.html
Old 5th August 2013, 06:29   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

No eggs, only milk derived products. Ok for vegetarians. As is milk itself a protein source, if you can digest it with no side effects.
Old 5th August 2013, 13:52   #792
Senior - BHPian

Guys beware of whey protein sourced from New Zealand.
Yesterday in a flight I read a story published in south China morning post that 32000 tonnes of whey and other milk products exported to China was found to be contaminated with a toxic bacteria which disables muscles.
Fonterra is the company involved and they have apologised to China.

I think seeing our lack of governance and food safety regulations India may be target market for such products as well.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Legumes ( dal , channa, peas, Soyabean) are excellent source of protein.
Soyachunks have around 54% protein and no fat as soya oil is extracted already.

Among daals urad and kabuli channa has maximum protien and masur and peas have least.

You should also dairy sourced protien like paneer, cheese , milk and curd.
Keep in mind that many foreign origin cheese are not vegetarian die to animal source of enzyme renatinin but you can safely consume mozarilla and Indian made cheese like amul, britania etc.

Depends on the protein, whey protein is derived from milk similarly soya and spretulina are vegetarian sources.
Old 5th August 2013, 14:25   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

1. Every thing has proteins. Even the dreaded carbohydrate loaded cereals. Wheat and rice have proteins. Pulses and legumes also have proteins.
The issue is that a particular plant protein does not have all the necessary amino acids (which is required by our body), HOWEVER, once can, via combinations (like rice + legumes) eliminate this issue of incomplete amino acid profile (what is missing in one is supplied by the other).

2. The next problem with the plant protein is the first point itself. As a source of protein, they are heavily loaded with carbs. This would've been fantastic if we were actually using all those calories in our daily lives. However, the sedentary lifestyle compels us to cut down on carbs. Which means cut down on food. Which means less proteins reach our stomach. Also do note (although this has not been proven beyond doubt) excess carbohydrates tends to make your body insulin insensitive (leading to Type 2 Diabetes) - this is because carbs in your diet increases the insulin release and over time your body cells simply become numb towards the insulin. This is mostly genetic.

3. There are different kind of protein shakes. (a) egg based (b) milk based - also knows as whey and/or casein (c) hemp based (d) soy based.
For a vegan (a) and (b) are ruled out.
For a vegetarian (a) is ruled out.

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th August 2013 at 14:36.
Old 7th August 2013, 16:31   #794
Senior - BHPian

A nice research article on obesity
http://www.aeonmagazine.com/being-hu...y-obesity-era/
Old 9th August 2013, 12:01   #795
BHPian

You can do it!

On a regular sunday morning, almost 9months back, I decided that I had had enough. I was tired of being FAT!

It was time to change.. and I needed to take charge of my body..

Weight - 84 kg | Current - 72.6
Body Fat - 31 % | Current - 21 %
Waist Size - 36" | Current - 31.5"

The Weight Loss Thread-before-after.jpg

I'm happy with what I've acheived so far, but theres still a long way to go!

And yes, this is nothing in comparision to some of the unbelievable transformations I have seen on this forum!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks