Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2013, 22:14   #616
BANNED

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well one of my colleague is taking it and its sort of worked wonders for him. The only downside ( something that I have heard elsewhere too) is that it leads to increased pigmentation of the skin. So while he has lost oodles of weight, he has also sort of tanned. Ofcourse such remedies will only cause temporary weight loss since unless you really change your lifestyle, you will end up gaining weight again.
Those same companies market several creams which can make you fairer also, upto 5 shades, I think. So after slimming down, people can buy these creams to become fairer.
Old 21st January 2013, 12:00   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Does slim tea and other such products really work? Has anyone tried these on the forum?
Dr. Mohit in case you are a medical practicioner then probably you can tell us the effects of consuming diuretics and laxatives in small quantities. Because this is what these slimming teas meant for weight loss miraculasly are.

However one can consume green tea /black tea / Hibiscus tea for other benifits of antioxidents and flavonoids. I have cut down my chai to just once morning bed tea and shifted to green tea. Atleast that helps to avoid sugar and cream if nothing else.
Old 21st January 2013, 12:26   #618
BHPian

Does whey protein harm? I know it may give additional calories but I counter that by intense cardio. My weight training regime is all natural till now. Can anyone explain the harms of consuming supplements for muscle training?
Old 21st January 2013, 14:47   #619
Senior - BHPian

Time to update about my progress.

At the peak I was 86KG started jogging for 6-8 Km and came down to 81.3 Kg when I joined a gym and also posted on this thread. Now I am 75.6 Kg. So about 10 Kg in 6 months. I feel stronger now and abdominal muscles formations are visible , Need to shed some 4-5 Kg more to get perfect weight.

One more thing I find that my weight varies by 1.5 - 2Kg depending on when I measure it ( on same machine) is it normal to have that much water retention in the body ? 75.6 Kg is lower side reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Does whey protein harm? I know it may give additional calories but I counter that by intense cardio. My weight training regime is all natural till now. Can anyone explain the harms of consuming supplements for muscle training?
Whey protein is something which is present in milk , When you coagulate milk to make paneer /cheese casine protein is retained and whey is thrown away.
So protein in itself has no harm but you need to see in overall context.

This but is really big one , Excessive protein in diet is known to cause excessive ketone formation in body. Ketones are toxic substance and to flush them out more water is used from your body also it stresses your kidneys.
For processing proteins Calcium is used and it can cause osteoporesis.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/50...xcess-protein/

So if you are taking high protein diet make sure you take a lot of water and then also remember consuming more protein then required can harm your body.

Many posters here have advocated ketonic diet for weight loss but personally I am skeptical about the long term effect of such diets.

I heard from an eminent doctor in Bangalore that Kedney and gallbladder stones are becoming kind of epidemic in northern Indian belt of Chhole/Rajma/Chicken just like diabities has become epidemic in AP.

Last edited by amitk26 : 21st January 2013 at 15:13.
Old 22nd January 2013, 09:56   #620
BHPian

I am 184 cm weighing 87KG. My doctor asked me to shed 7 KG . I have started exercising 5-6 times a week with the following activities

1) stretch for 5 mins
2) 20 minutes cycling (level 11 on the cycling machine)
3) stretch for 5 mins
4) weight training 10-15 mins
5) 20 minutes running (speed 8.5 on the treadmill)
6) cool down stretches

I eat wheatflakes and oats in the morning, 4 chapathis for lunch,soup/sandwich in the evening and 4 chapathis at night. I do consume rice instead of chapathis sometime and indulge in choclates/ice-cream at times . I also have started consuming green tea

My question is how many months of the above i would need to do to get rid of 7KG? Do i need to change anything in my diet or workout?
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:51   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie View Post
I am 184 cm weighing 87KG. My doctor asked me to shed 7 KG . I have started exercising 5-6 times a week with the following activities

1) stretch for 5 mins
2) 20 minutes cycling (level 11 on the cycling machine)
3) stretch for 5 mins
4) weight training 10-15 mins
5) 20 minutes running (speed 8.5 on the treadmill)
6) cool down stretches

I eat wheatflakes and oats in the morning, 4 chapathis for lunch,soup/sandwich in the evening and 4 chapathis at night. I do consume rice instead of chapathis sometime and indulge in choclates/ice-cream at times . I also have started consuming green tea

My question is how many months of the above i would need to do to get rid of 7KG? Do i need to change anything in my diet or workout?
If you're doing weight training as well I would suggest a little more intake of protein rich foods. Also cut down on carbs for dinner. Roti/Rice have a lot of carbs. You could alternate that with food which does not have carbs.

What time do you eat your dinner? The earlier the better.

You can increase your speed of running periodically. You can slowly take it to 8.8 in your next run. The higher the intensity the more you'll burn. Also add abs to your workout. Don't try to do a 'Bolt' but your lung capacity will be better as you keep running.

The trick is to keep increasing intensity in every activity so you don't experience a plateau. Also as much as you can alternate health foods but not at the cost of intake of quantity.

The odd giving in to ice cream is fine. Keep it limited to once a week though.

You can get rid of this weight in max 3 months.

Try to maintain a journal with your weight training reps/sets/weights running time - distance and speed. Food intake and your current weight. Note down every aspect of your workout and everything you eat on a daily basis. It becomes easier to look back and see the progess you've made.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:22   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bring variations in your workout also while running on treadmill use programs if available on your treadmill or manually increase the inclide gradually to simulate hill climb. Do abs and lower back exercise on alternate days.
Divide your weight trainings to target muscle groups

Also do long slow Cardio exercise ( 45 mts to 60mts) for 2/3 days in week if your primary motive is weight loss.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:56   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have started swimming from last 3-4 days and doing about 30-35 breadths of the pool in each day of 30-35 mins swim.

Due to above, I am a bit apprehensive of swimming now

What could be the reason and resolution ideas?

Do you do warm up exercises and streaching before you jump in to the pool ?

Do neck rotation, arm rotation, jumping jacks, spot running , alternate toe touching , alternate leg raises in boat position for about 15-20 mts before you take shower and enter pool.

Similarly at the end do slow double arm backstroke for 4-6 laps before you come out of pool to relax muscles.

Swimming is streanuous in begining because it activates minor muscles which never see any activity in gym routine. Swimming alone won't give your sculpted body like gym workout can give but free form of body movement and activation of minor muscle ensures a total workout.

I used to be an avid swimmer in my teenage doing 2.5 - 3 KM in total and could do all 4
strokes but after so many years with no regular practice I feel beaten up after once in a while swimming session.

Last edited by amitk26 : 22nd January 2013 at 13:00.
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:53   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought it was dehydration the first day and drank a glass of water before jumping in the pool. Yet it happened.

Btw, I am on low salt from over a year. I take my food with very low salt ( concious decision) and now even a little salt in my food makes me feel its salty ( though it tastes normal for other people)
Cramping happens when the body is running low on salts and not only dehydration. The best way to avoid cramps is to have small sips of electrolytes before you feel thirsty. You can use Gatorade, Electral or plain salt and sugar solution. One should avoid too much of plain water after a strenuous workout as that may lead to hyponatremia which is very dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

One more thing I find that my weight varies by 1.5 - 2Kg depending on when I measure it ( on same machine) is it normal to have that much water retention in the body ? 75.6 Kg is lower side reading
Yes the weight of the body will vary across the day. So if you are tracking it over a period of time, its better to do at same time everyday.
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:49   #625
BHPian

I came across a free ebook named "Become healthy or extinct". As per the author, eating organic food and only fruits and vegetables is the natural way of living. Found the rationale given in that book also good.

I started having only fruits for dinner for the last couple of weeks and find better (in terms of better sleep, less tiredness in the morning). Anyone read the book and any feedback?
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:26   #626
BANNED

Quote:
Btw, I am on low salt from over a year.
Why? Is this for some medical reason?
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:32   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I just want to mention that the goal should be not to reduce 7 KG, but to get healthy. You could lose 2 kg or 20, but that's only a way to measure your progress. Focus on activity and health, focus on monitoring only if you are having trouble measuring your progress or staying motivated. You could measure body fat if you were really inclined to measurements. 7 is just a number.

I am not an expert but if I was advising you, I would set up goals like 40 mins of workout at least 4 times a week, and cutting junk food, or something like that.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:42   #628
BHPian

Abhishek,Amit,vivek -Thanks for taking time out to respond. I am bringing in variations in the exericise and trying to cut out junk food as much as possible. As you have mentioned 7KG is just a number. The main goal is to get healthy
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:16   #629
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

When i started reading this last year, i must admit that this thread was also a catalyst on my resolve to healthier. Thanks to the current work styles and work hours, i was just putting on and on and before i realised, i had reached a mammoth 99.9 KG's, each time i went to buy clothes, i figured i was always buying the next higher size - so the shirt sizes became 44, the trousers became 40 etc..

Jan 1st, 2012 - my wife went to a gym, paid the money and handed over the receipt to me. I had no choice not to go a gym. I alternate between Weights and Cardio. I keep changing the weights training each fortnight. For someone who struggled to walk for 12 mins on the treadmill on day 1, i feel great that i can do the 5 K run in 27 minutes.

The last 12 months have been really good - today, i am at 83.7 KG's a loss of ~15 KG's over 12 months.

I found it tough in the initial months - was still indulging at possible opportunities. Was struggling to get a good regimen to my eating habits. Slowly, but surely, i got into a natural discipline - 8 AM, breakfast. 12.30 - Lunch and 7.30 - Dinner. I am a vegetarian, but eat eggs. Got the habit of eating boiled egg whites each day during breakfast. Cut down almost 7-8 cups of coffee that i used to have each day.

I am confident that i can reach the target weight of 78/79. Nevertheless, agree with Vivek that feeling healthier is more apt, which i have been enjoying for the past 12 months.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:40   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
When i started reading this last year, i must admit that this thread was also a catalyst on my resolve to healthier. Thanks to the current work styles and work hours, i was just putting on and on and before i realised, i had reached a mammoth 99.9 KG's, each time i went to buy clothes, i figured i was always buying the next higher size - so the shirt sizes became 44, the trousers became 40 etc..

Jan 1st, 2012 - my wife went to a gym, paid the money and handed over the receipt to me. I had no choice not to go a gym. I alternate between Weights and Cardio. I keep changing the weights training each fortnight. For someone who struggled to walk for 12 mins on the treadmill on day 1, i feel great that i can do the 5 K run in 27 minutes.

The last 12 months have been really good - today, i am at 83.7 KG's a loss of ~15 KG's over 12 months.

I found it tough in the initial months - was still indulging at possible opportunities. Was struggling to get a good regimen to my eating habits. Slowly, but surely, i got into a natural discipline - 8 AM, breakfast. 12.30 - Lunch and 7.30 - Dinner. I am a vegetarian, but eat eggs. Got the habit of eating boiled egg whites each day during breakfast. Cut down almost 7-8 cups of coffee that i used to have each day.

I am confident that i can reach the target weight of 78/79. Nevertheless, agree with Vivek that feeling healthier is more apt, which i have been enjoying for the past 12 months.
That is truly amazing. Kudos to your wife for taking the first step since it the most critical one. I too went from over 100 to 70s and now trying to build muscles. I did it when I had much more time for myself. Truly motivational.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks