Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 13:22   #526
BANNED

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Also add other activities like taking stairs instead of lifts and escalators.
Can you disclose your age? In all that I wrote above this, I have assumed that you are able to undertake moderate physical activity.
Already doing that. Age is 33. Do advice.

Used to go to workout or swimming, however work is not permmiting it now. Need to take control of my life and learn to say NO to office task intruding in personal life.

Looking for some good swimming pool in pune - karve road. Pune members any idea? I used to go to E Square earlier but now it is a hassle due to parking issues and hassles.
Old 17th August 2012, 13:26   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
First hand stories of weight reduction are really inspiring. Especially when i have added "Few" Kg's over last 2 years.

Problem is these "Few" Kg's is around 20 Kg. Never thought it is 20 Kg Odd. Decided to take it down by 20 KG (from 95 to 75. i am 5 11).

For last two weeks, stopped eating sugar - in any form.

- Less oil food
- Outside food just once in month in moderation.
- measured intake for lunch and dinner
- No biscuits/Khari during Chai. Prefer 2 Toast now.

Planning a simple principle here. Decrese input and increase output (KCal) so fat is used for deficit.

Could not take up any schedule for jogging. but try to go for walk after dinner and lunch. Got a hold of cycle too. But riding it on road during usual hours is dificult, everybody want to run over you.

Want to take opinion, do i need to go for professional help for VLCC. How do these people actually work? Any first hand experience?
If you are non vegetarian try Paleo diet. Its very radical but it works amazingly. The secret is to lead a paleo life too. This should suit your needs as it does not recommend any endurance related exercises.
You follow the food pyramid but with the pyramid inverted. You stop consuming carbohydrates and eat only good fats.

This site is an real good source of information -
Mark's Daily Apple
Old 18th August 2012, 11:34   #528
BHPian

avingodg! Sorry for adding ji. Won't happen again.
Old 18th August 2012, 12:05   #529
BANNED

Quote:
First hand stories of weight reduction are really inspiring. Especially when i have added "Few" Kg's over last 2 years.

Problem is these "Few" Kg's is around 20 Kg. Never thought it is 20 Kg Odd. Decided to take it down by 20 KG (from 95 to 75. i am 5 11).

For last two weeks, stopped eating sugar - in any form.

- Less oil food
- Outside food just once in month in moderation.
- measured intake for lunch and dinner
- No biscuits/Khari during Chai. Prefer 2 Toast now.

Planning a simple principle here. Decrese input and increase output (KCal) so fat is used for deficit.

Could not take up any schedule for jogging. but try to go for walk after dinner and lunch. Got a hold of cycle too. But riding it on road during usual hours is dificult, everybody want to run over you.

Want to take opinion, do i need to go for professional help for VLCC. How do these people actually work? Any first hand experience?
Yesterday being to swimming session. I like swimming. Decided to persue it now. Enrolled for 6 months at Solaris - Mayur Colony, Pune. Any BHPian there?

I dont know if it helps with weight loss. But felt good. Last 2 years, seems i have missed out on all these pleasures due to stupid office dedications. Time to reclaim my life.
Old 18th August 2012, 17:15   #530
BHPian

I have noticed one thing that holds true for most of us: If we regularly exercise and stop all of a sudden , it gets really worse. I am sure this is not a recommended thing to do , but i have almost neglected exercising and sticking to healthy food only. It has happened thrice , but whenever due to change in schedule i stopped exercising, i gained quite a lot in a first few weeks, but than it slowed down.
Hence, since a few months i am sticking to light day to day exercise rather than a well planned exercise regime. I am focusing more on right foods. This seems to be working for me.
And one more thing: Oats work wonders !
Old 20th August 2012, 10:05   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post

And one more thing: Oats work wonders !
Can you please elaborate?
Old 20th August 2012, 10:44   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Do advice.
Search this thread for useful posts by many BHPians who have shed light on diet and exercise for weight loss. Take it slow and steady, weight loss has to happen in a steady way for it to be healthy and for you to be able to keep it out. Otherwise, relapse is more harmful.

Instructor in my gym says that places like VLCC work on fluid loss induced by increasing body heat and clients take it as weight loss. He says that boxers and weightlifters wrap a couple of blankets around themselves, sit under a 100w bulb and tell coaches to beat them up slowly for quick weight loss when they cross the upper limits of weight categories. He compares VLCCs of the world to that.

Good luck for your efforts!
Edit: just saw your post on Swimming, its a great way to lose weight and gain fitness. Again persistence will be the key.

Last edited by avingodb : 20th August 2012 at 10:49.
Old 20th August 2012, 11:11   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
Can you please elaborate?
Oats are like totally fiber, very less calorific value. In breakfast i regularly have oats with milk. (No sugar) Such a diet fools the system, satisfies hunger, makes us think that we 've had a very normal breakfast. But the the truth is , calorie intake is extremely low.
Within a month you will feel tremendous change. You will feel healthier, lighter, less sluggish.

JUST MAKE SURE that you go for non flavored ones. Even a slight hint of sugar will make em useless. Personally i hate corn flakes. Tons of sugar and additives. Just a marketing gimmick.

Go for the normal ones, (I prefer Quaker). They are quite tasteless and you might miss your regular food, but once you are used to it, it has some health benefits !
Old 30th August 2012, 16:37   #534
BHPian

Healthy heart tips

The Weight Loss Thread-4_health_tips_1.jpg
Old 5th September 2012, 14:54   #535
BHPian

Need your advise guys. I would like to know which among these two would lead to weight loss sooner -

1- Brisk walking at a speed of 6.5 km/hr for 45 minutes. Or

2- Jogging at a speed of 8 km/hr for 30 minutes.

Both on a treadmill.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:08   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
Need your advise guys. I would like to know which among these two would lead to weight loss sooner -

Both on a treadmill.

It depends a lot on body to body response. When I started jogging, there were many coaches who told me jogging is not good go for brisk walk, tried but somehow was not much convinced, so started jogging, Now apart from loosing around 20kgs I feel good jogging, thought temptation it easy and going for brisk walk is always at the back of my mind, But i still prefer jogging, I jog for 10 odd kms in approx 52mins.

But if possible come out of treadmill and go for jog in some park or outside, treadmill has issues like it becomes monotonous and if it is in a gym that you will have many heads turing toward you and eyes looking at you as if they are waiting to eat your prey, you will never get your required quota of time.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:20   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post

Both on a treadmill.
I would say either of them is fine, though more inclined towards jogging since it involves more effort.
But the key here is how much weight you want to lose? If it is few kilos then exercise can help. For serious weight loss, low calorie diet is the key.

Last edited by msdivy : 5th September 2012 at 15:42.
Old 5th September 2012, 17:45   #538
BHPian

I have been heavy most of my life. But with the last US visit, I had reached the category of morbid obese on BMI scale. And when my back started paining, doctor was insistent I needed to loose weight.

But unlike most people here, I cannot eat less. I need to eat to my heart's content. Also, my knee doesn't allow me to exercise a lot. And to add to that I am on the wrong side of 35. Also I have peptic ulcers which cause acid reflux If I don't eat frequently.

I researched a lot and came across some great literature by Gary Taubes (Good calories bad calories, Why we get fat and what to do about it). I could relate a lot to what Taubes was mentioning. It was like he had taken me as a case study for his book. I started slow carbing, and saw immediate results. This convinced me to move to ketogenic diet.

I have been on slow carb for 4 months and ketogenic diet for 2 months. I have dropped 45 pounds of weight. That is about 20 kg in 6 month. My energy level have shot through the roof. I don't remember when was the last time I had acid reflux. Never ever had ulcer pain in last 6 months.

My typical meal of the day is:
1. Breakfast - 4 eggs scrambled (cooked in butter with cheese) and bacon/sausage/chicken breast.

2. Lunch - Half chicken (grilled/butterCooked/fried) with vegetables/salad.

3. 500gm Chicken dish with vegetables/Gluten free peperoni pizza/2 mutton burgers without bun.

I don't drink anything except water or High fat buttermilk.
carbookie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 18:01   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbookie View Post
My typical meal of the day is:
1. Breakfast - 4 eggs scrambled (cooked in butter with cheese) and bacon/sausage/chicken breast.

2. Lunch - Half chicken (grilled/butterCooked/fried) with vegetables/salad.

3. 500gm Chicken dish with vegetables/Gluten free peperoni pizza/2 mutton burgers without bun.

I don't drink anything except water or High fat buttermilk.
Congrats on weight loss ! You diet seem to high on cholesterol. Hope the levels are within limits.
Old 5th September 2012, 18:08   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Congrats on weight loss ! You diet seem to high on cholesterol. Hope the levels are within limits.
Yes my diet is very high on fats and cholesterol. I was sceptical moving to this diet because of stigma attached to eating FAT. After all, there are around 14 doctors in my immediate family. They all discouraged me to go on this change.

In this six months, my cholesterol level dropped from 220 to 140. My triglycerides went from 150 to 37. My HDL has gone up, and LDL has gone down. After seeing my blood reports my brother, who is a doctor, was shocked. My body fat percentage is down by 9%.
My blood pressure is better. My ulcers have vanished. And for the first time in last 15 years, I can have spicy food.
  • Eating Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • Eating cholesterol does not give you heart attack.
  • You cannot lose weight just by eating calorie deficient diet.
This is the basic premise of Gary Taubes research.

Last edited by carbookie : 5th September 2012 at 18:13.
carbookie is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks