Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 16:16   #496
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Hey Girish,

WOW. If you could it then, you can do it now. If you can reduce so much then you can keep it at that. Go for it Girish

One word of advice that I read online and I guess is very true. We should not diet, because sooner or later we go back to our old lifestyle and hence some of the weight comes back. Why not add more fruits/vegs(and not compromising on normal meals) instead of the higher calorie food. Awaiting your 'after' pictures my friend. Do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Thanks Abhishek for the entire story of your journey to this end. It is actually is anyone's story (mine as well) to go though the roller coaster.

Me too am a 100+ club member, did one sprint of loss 3 years back to loose 20+ kilos over a 6 months period (gym and diet) and gain it all back in the last 2 years.

So really getting a strong push from my brain to start it all over again but for my lazy bones. Hope this read will kick my behind to start off. Thanks.

This IMO is the best words from your post and will follow it this time for sure.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:35   #497
Senior - BHPian

Anyone heard of HCG drops!? Read many +ve reviews about the same
HCG Ultra - Lose 1 Pound Daily - Oral HCG Diet Drops - Homepage=
Old 19th June 2012, 14:39   #498
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Anyone heard of HCG drops!? Read many +ve reviews about the same
HCG Ultra - Lose 1 Pound Daily - Oral HCG Diet Drops - Homepage=
A little googling shows this HCG Diet Products Are Illegal

I was wondering why the name sounded familiar.
After all we were tracking this hormone when my wife was expecting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_c...c_gonadotropin

Eat less, Exercise More.

Last edited by bblost : 19th June 2012 at 14:41.
Old 20th June 2012, 15:48   #499
BHPian

Anybody know of a good gym/fitness centre in Indiranagar? I need to reduce my weight to get more mileage out of my car
Old 10th July 2012, 14:27   #500
BHPian

Is there a way i can mix these exercise types into a weekly routine - Jogging (Cardio), Walking (Cardio), Calisthenics (Toning), Yoga (Toning) and Weight Training (basic)?
Old 10th July 2012, 16:38   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Anybody know of a good gym/fitness centre in Indiranagar? I need to reduce my weight to get more mileage out of my car
There's one opposite the Namdhari's veg store behind Sony on 100 ft road Indira Nagar.
Don't remember the name exactly.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:57   #502
Senior - BHPian

Great thread. I am surprised that there is no mention or credit given to VLCC or other weight loss programs/ institutes.

Has no one every got any benefit out of those? Or are they just some money making scams?

After all, VLCC also talks about diet plans and motivates you to stick to the same by charging you heavily for their packages.
Old 18th July 2012, 15:14   #503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Great thread. I am surprised that there is no mention or credit given to VLCC or other weight loss programs/ institutes.

Has no one every got any benefit out of those? Or are they just some money making scams?

After all, VLCC also talks about diet plans and motivates you to stick to the same by charging you heavily for their packages.
If being charged heavily is a strong motivation, please let me know. I can share my account details and will welcome any amount.

For enough money, I might even call you up once in a while and ask you to NOT eat lunch.

Just kidding.

I am not saying that places like VLCC etc are bad or don't work.
But what I feel is that if losing weight is your main requirement. You can do it yourself.

The rules are fairly simply.

Adopt a healthy lifestyle.
You don't need to take up an expensive club membership or a hi-fi diet plan.

Eat more raw food.
Eat less of white things. White things would be salt, sugar and maida.

Burn some calories. This is the tricky part and unless you can measure yourself. Its easy to get into a rut.
If you are cycling for instance. Cycle a particular distance outdoors.
Lazing on a exercycle is not burning anything.
If you want to run, then run for a fixed distance everyday.
Just getting on a machine and keeping it spinning at 3-4 is not really getting you in to a fat burn zone.

In simple words, if after an exercise you are not feeling happy and tired at the same time, you are not doing it right.
Old 18th July 2012, 16:11   #504
Distinguished - BHPian

I owe whatever weight loss I have had in my adult life to two reasons:

1.Talwalkar's
2. Disease

The latter is simple. About 5 years ago I had a very severe and sudden attack of fever, had to be hospitalised and rehydrated for 4 days. After running all kinds of tests, they identified it as para-typhoid, though the docs put me on anti-malarial medication just to be sure.

My liver was also affected slightly so they put me on a very strict diet that I followed for 6 months. Complete abstinence from heavy food and drink, including meat. I ate only home-cooked food for the most part, lots of salads and fruit, sprouts and raw vegetable juices. By the time I felt healthy again I had lost about 10 kg.

But honestly, I can't say I enjoyed it. There is a difference between weight lost in a good way (read: burning calories through regular exercise, weight training and diet management) and a bad way like being sick. Your new body lacks any form or definition, things start sagging instead of toning up. You feel dull rather than energetic. You feel hungry all the time and in a moment of weakness, are susceptible to bingeing.

The bitter truth is that you can lose weight in a "program", as I have with Talwalkar's more than once but there must be a complete lifestyle change in order to sustain it. That means eating smart and maintaining a regular course of exercise and healthy habits.

There are no shortcuts. We've heard it often enough- somehow never really believe it!
Old 28th July 2012, 16:45   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Over the last few months of excessive outside food and no work out / jogging at all and a desk job i had put on pretty much. About 15 days ago at a family function my family dr. (who is also my cousin) gave a earful about my age to weight ratio. It got me thinking and i spoke to him the next day for advice.

He asked me to follow a simple home food schedule and walk atleast 40 mins a day. I am someone who cannot work out in a gym. I am not a treadmill person. Fortunately; there is a cricket stadium 3 mins away from my office where i go every evening after work for my walk / jog.

So i started the below schedule since last Monday; 4th June 2012.

8:30 am: Sugar less Tea and a light snack
10: am : Apple or Banana or any fresh seasonal fruit
11:30 : Sugar less Coffe / tea at office.
13:00 - 13:30 : Lunch (2 ghee less rotis; sabji & Salad)
17:00 : Sugar less tea with Khakhra ( Sorry guys, dunno what its called in Hindi or English)
18:00 : I reach the stadium which has a 500 mtrs walking track around the ground where I do a total of 10 rounds in combination of walk; brisk walking & jogging totaling 5 kms. I do in breaks of 3-3-4. between each i take a break of 5 to 7 mins.
in addition to the jog i have now also started doing basic old school exercises.
20:00 : Dinner at home. ( 3 ghee less rotis; sabji; Dal & Salad)

Over this period i have cut down or rather stopped eating fried foods; sweets; butter; cheese etc. On 4th June i weighed 88.23 kgs.

Once a week i feast myself with outside food (READ : SUBWAY) where i have a 6" Sub with NO CHEESE & NO MAYO.

It feels good. Personally i don't feel that i am over doing anything or doing something like a "crash diet". I am having healthy & timely food portions. and post every dinner; i give enough time to myself before i crash into bed; approx 3 hours. I plan to keep up with this schedule as long as possible.

Regards,
Its been almost 6 weeks where by i have been strictly following the above schedule. The total loss has been astonishing. I am shocked to see the difference in myself and as well as on the weighing scale. In total i have shed 10.50 kgs and about 4.5" waist line. 2 pics below shall give you an idea. Please excuse the 2nd pic as its with my nephew so i have covered his face.

Before : Taken in April 2012

The Weight Loss Thread-dscf8001.jpg

After : Taken in July 2012

The Weight Loss Thread-dsc_4013.jpg
Old 28th July 2012, 17:09   #506
BHPian

Well do we really need VLCC to know what we ought to do? The thing with diet plans is that they don't bring about a lifestyle change. Here are my two cents :

You join VLCC , you pay a hefty sum and they put you on a particular diet. You lose 20 kgs and feel great about yourself. Sounds perfect doesn't it?

But here's the catch : You can't eat celery and carrots for lunch everyday, we all need 'normal' food to survive. So you go back to your old pattern of eating and later if not sooner, you're back to square one. Now either we could try a slim sauna belt or pop some pills, or we can realize we need a lifestyle change.

Identify what you eat wrong, how sedentary your life style is and bring about the change. Authors who claim to have several methods of dieting and can vouch for it are just selling books, can anyone 'enjoy' these diets over their lifetime, or are we supposed to keep dieting every few months?

Better way, throw away the junk (please include all sugary items and our mother's beloved Aloo Paratha ) and exercise just enough to stay in shape. Stay healthy, eat healthy and of course have cheat days. Cake on seven days of a week is sin, but once in a week is heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

Old 28th July 2012, 23:31   #507
Senior - BHPian

Some happy news to share... I have lost 13kgs in the last 7-8 months (since mid Nov-Dec 2011). Just checked today and found that my weight is now 79.5kgs. It was 93kgs at it's peak in 2011 when I decided to get control of it. I always hated gyms so something else had to be found out. Finally discovered jogging as a fun way to reduce weight. (I always had the crazy idea that in gyms the A/C would re-circulate everyone's sweat and the air would become damp with the smell of sweat of at-least a hundred people )

For my height of 5'10"; I am targeting to keep the weight between 73-75 kgs.

Here's what I did:
* Regular exercise: This was difficult initially, but now I am used to it. I jog daily, total distance being approx 3.5kms. Started initially with half a kilometer distance and then gradually increased it slowly. Now I can jog 3-3.5 kms at medium pace without getting out of breath. Still I wan't to include cycling as an additional activity, but then right now I am not sure if I will be able to accommodate cycling in my schedule.
* Started climbing a hill and doing trekking. Right now I climb the ARAI/Law college hill in Pune. Also climb Parvati hill (Pune members will know about this hill).
* Cut down entirely on non-veg food. Everything. Earlier I was eating all sorts of non veg at-least once a week. Now I am turned totally vegetarian, I don't even touch non-veg food.
* Drink more water than ever. Now I consume at-least 1 big glass of water after getting up, before lunch, and before dinner. This is in addition to the the regular intake of water. Before leaving for office, I drink 1 glass of lime juice.
* No binge eating in between meals. Even if I get the urge, I try to control it or if unbearable I eat a cucumber or tomato.
* I did not restrict myself from eating any kind of vegetarian food. That is I eat everything, from samosas to full gravies etc. etc. But now I consciously control the quantity that goes in at one time. That is instead of a big serving of vegetable and 4 rotis, I now have small serving and 2 rotis instead.
* Cut down on the sugar intake through tea-coffee. Used sugar-free instead. Saturday is an off day, where I get to put in sugar in tea-coffee!
* Another tip came from my office colleague and it seems to be working, but I can't confirm this. What he suggested was take very small morsels of food and chew each morsel till it tastes sweet, instead of gulping down big bites. (he said it indicates that saliva has broken down the starch).
* Once a while it's ok to have ice-cream and sweets and that too in controlled quantities. I was used to having a sweet dish after meals, but now I control the urge. If unbearable, I eat a Bourbon biscuit. (I love it.)
* Got a weighing scale at home, if I was to control my weight, I needed to know how much I was losing in how much time.

Let's me check if I can get an old photo of me, so I can put up both photos of me for comparison.

Quote:
* My suggestion would be, eat everything that you like; don't stop. Even junk or street food is ok. But eat in controlled quantities.
* Exercise very regularly. Don't miss out on this step at all. Maintain consistency, avoid the urge to skip exercise. Jogging is a good way to begin, it literally melts away the calories and fats, I can say this from my experience.
* Drink lots of water. Especially one big glass before lunch and dinner.
* Keep a target of what weight you want to achieve in how many months. Try and aim for the target, that way you will at-least achieve 90-95% of it; if not the whole.
* Don't overdo it. Both eating or exercise. Start balancing both, so that eating part diminishes slowly and exercise increases slowly.
Next target - lose 4-5 kilos more by this year end. And then maintain it at between 73-75kgs.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 28th July 2012 at 23:33. Reason: Bold
Old 29th July 2012, 02:26   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7
Some happy news to share... I have lost 13kgs in the last 7-8 months (since mid Nov-Dec 2011). Just checked today and found that my weight is now 79.5kgs..

Next target - lose 4-5 kilos more by this year end. And then maintain it at between 73-75kgs.
Wow congrats on losing a whopping 13kilos. Keep at it. Still a few more kilos to go. These real stories on this thread actually great motivator for me.

However one word of caution. Since you have stopped taking non veg food, you should take B complex supplements as folate is absent in vegetarian food. One tablet a day should be enough.

Also ive heard fasting once a week also helps to lose weight. Im not sure if this is a myth or fact.

Do post the before and after pictures.

Cheers!!
Old 29th July 2012, 12:44   #509
BHPian

Today in all local newspapers here, this is the great motivation for all who want to shed those extra kilos

Old 29th July 2012, 15:14   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Wow congrats on losing a whopping 13kilos. Keep at it. Still a few more kilos to go. These real stories on this thread actually great motivator for me.

However one word of caution. Since you have stopped taking non veg food, you should take B complex supplements as folate is absent in vegetarian food. One tablet a day should be enough.
Thanks for the wishes and the advice. I didn't know about this B complex part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Also ive heard fasting once a week also helps to lose weight. Im not sure if this is a myth or fact.
I don't know actually. But fasting is a strict no-no for me, can't sit quietly for a minute on an empty stomach!

Coming to the photos part, I don't really have good examples of my 'fat' photos. This is the best that I have got. I never clicked many pictures of myself because I feared I would look too fat (which I was in-fact!)

Before -
The Weight Loss Thread-fat.jpg

Today -
The Weight Loss Thread-today.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks