Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 09:31   #391
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
I'm surprised that no one's talked about hormonal imbalances and insulin sensitivity in this thread. Most of your actions towards losing fat would be in vain if you don't tend to those two issues at first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Yes, actually i also have the same doubt. If you take my case, i am overweight right from my childhood and off late overweight have turned obese as far my BMI is concerned. Now how do i come to a conclusion about the hormonal imbalance. When i was talking to a doctor regarding this, i was asked to carry out the Full testosterone test (exactly do not know the name).

For peope who are insulin resistant, I definitely recommend a ketogenic diet - read here Is keto still a good idea if I'm insulin resistant? : keto

I am not sure specifically what kindof hormonal imbalances you are talking about but typically when you do start working out, testosterone would be naturally released. If you do have hormonal problems IMHO a check up with the doctor would be great.

Last edited by akshayasok : 4th May 2012 at 09:37.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:54   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Guys do you recommend any specific shoes for running?
For folks looking for specific shoes for running please go through what this guy has to say.

Christopher McDougall | Born to Run | National Bestseller

And here is his blog, in which he talks about shoes specifically.

Christopher McDougall
Old 4th May 2012, 15:09   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Please check out Nike Free Run 2 as well. Found them to be quite effective, although I'm not an expert in this subject.
Old 5th May 2012, 15:03   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How good is the new Reebok Flex and Zigfly range?
Reebok Flex and Zig Fly are almost minimalist shoes. Don't jump into them or barefoot running if you are just starting out as you might get injured. The most common ailment in these cases are Plantar Fasciitis and Achilees Heel.

If you are just starting out running, take a normal basic running shoe and get to a position where you'll be able to do 10k in about 65 odd mins. Follow a regimen of few short runs during the week and a long run on Sat/Sun. Long would mean over here anything in double digits .

Also you might want to check out your arch and pronation through the steps given here Running Shoes, Apparel & Accessories @ ASICSAmerica

Quote:
Will holding anything make a difference? and how?
So would you recommend a slow speed incline over running? if you dont mind, can i ask howmuch weight you have lost in the last 5 months? Just some inspiration.
Another very important advice. Don't run on treadmill when starting out. You may find that very difficult to transition to tarmac or asphalt later. Treadmill provides a slight bounce which aids in action whereas on road there is no such bounce/artificial aid is there. So the total workout is yours.

When I started running in August end, my fitness was ok but I was definitely overweight. Might have become obese if I continued on that path. Was touching 82Kgs. From September got seriously into running and by January 2012, I was able to complete Half Marathon in Mumbai in 2:05 Hrs. By March end I had dropped down to 68.8Kgs. April was a relaxed month as I wasn't training for any event so weight crept up to 71Kg but down again to 70Kg.

And mind no reduction in diet. Just a little streamlining apart from cutting out white processed sugar from my life. All the weight reduction is just from running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Came across hungryforchange.tv http://hungry for change.tv
Guys give it a see. It talks about not only weight loss, but, healthy living which will naturally lead to weight loss. A great watch.

PS. All the stuff is available on torrentz.eu
I have the movie and seen it. A very hard hitting documentary. I had posted on another thread here and for those unaware, here is the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
If possible, try running outdoors - on asphalt, trail etc. Not on hard surfaces like concrete.
+1 to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Listen to your body - take a look at this article Running Injury Free: The Basics of Jogging .

All the best in your running program. Running is something I really love - I do about 9km/1hr every alternate day at a comfortable pace.
Even I love running. Hoping to do my first official marathon in August and then take part in the Bangalore Ultra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
For folks looking for specific shoes for running please go through what this guy has to say.

Christopher McDougall | Born to Run | National Bestseller

And here is his blog, in which he talks about shoes specifically.

Christopher McDougall
This is his TED speech

I also had the opportunity of attending a speech by McDougall's partner who is mentioned quite a lot in the book Born to Run, Ted McDonald. Also had further face to face one on one interaction with him. Seeing a lot of barefoot runners or those wearing vibrams et al, what I've figured out is, make a slowly transition. Straightaway starting out on barefoot running without reducing your weight is a recipe for disaster.

As regards to the shoes, Asics are available at Reliance Footprint and on Myntra. But once you know what model and size fits you, you can always get it from Amazon and shipped to India along with someone coming from US.
Old 5th May 2012, 15:26   #395
BHPian

I recommend anyone wo cant decide or know what they should do as a fitness programme to use this site Rohit Nair - Fitness Program Picker v2 . Pretty straightforward, just select your goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

When I started running in August end, my fitness was ok but I was definitely overweight. Might have become obese if I continued on that path. Was touching 82Kgs. From September got seriously into running and by January 2012, I was able to complete Half Marathon in Mumbai in 2:05 Hrs. By March end I had dropped down to 68.8Kgs. April was a relaxed month as I wasn't training for any event so weight crept up to 71Kg but down again to 70Kg.

And mind no reduction in diet. Just a little streamlining apart from cutting out white processed sugar from my life. All the weight reduction is just from running.

This is his TED speech
Wow that is really impressive, kudos. Thanks a lot for the TED video, really enlightening.

Last edited by akshayasok : 5th May 2012 at 15:31.
Old 5th May 2012, 15:36   #396
BHPian

Has anyone tried Tony Horton's P90x here? All i see is only fit people attesting to its effectiveness. Cant trust anyone these days in the age of photoshop.
Does this really work or is it just like every other programe on the planet?
Old 5th May 2012, 15:41   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Has anyone tried Tony Horton's P90x here? All i see is only fit people attesting to its effectiveness. Cant trust anyone these days in the age of photoshop.
Does this really work or is it just like every other programe on the planet?
Personally, P90X is pretty awesome, pretty tough as well. But you have to do it as the whole package including the diet , not just the workout. Its very intense and a great fat burner. I dont know about the people in the pictures but the workout does really work. Btw I recommend doing just Power 90 first , if you are not very fit. P90X- Power 90 Extreme

Last edited by akshayasok : 5th May 2012 at 15:44.
Old 5th May 2012, 16:38   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok

Btw I recommend doing just Power 90 first , if you are not very fit. P90X- Power 90 Extreme
So in the meal plan they also have this thing called shakeology. Have you tried it? Is it almost same as whey protein shakes or is it somewhat like the satva meal replacement shakes?
Because the shipping charges on the p90x shakeology shakes is quite a lot. So was thinking if any alternatives available in India.

Thanks.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:25   #399
BHPian

Quote:
So in the meal plan they also have this thing called shakeology. Have you tried it? Is it almost same as whey protein shakes or is it somewhat like the satva meal replacement shakes?
Because the shipping charges on the p90x shakeology shakes is quite a lot. So was thinking if any alternatives available in India.

Thanks.
Shakeology is an absolute ripoff, You can get lots of alternatives here , use this as a guide to find the amount of nutrition required Calories in Beachbody Chocolate Shakeology With Fat Free Milk - Calories and Nutrition Facts . Personally, I am not a fan of Meal Replacement shakes, but it varies from person to person. Use the nutritonal info to see what you need. I am not too sure of brands in India, but i think healthkart.com might have some.

Cheers
Old 5th May 2012, 22:57   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
Use the nutritonal info to see what you need. I am not too sure of brands in India, but i think healthkart.com might have some.

Cheers
Wow. Didnt know such a site existed. Thanks. Lets see once I figure out my nutrition plan will get started on the p90x. had done it for about a week. Did feel the burn but gave it up as something came up.
Gotta get back to working out
Old 5th May 2012, 23:10   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Wow. Didnt know such a site existed. Thanks. Lets see once I figure out my nutrition plan will get started on the p90x. had done it for about a week. Did feel the burn but gave it up as something came up.
Gotta get back to working out
You are welcome, Yea happened to me as well. I think it takes a lot more effort to stick with P90X when compared to others regimens.btw Tony Horton is hilarious.
Old 5th May 2012, 23:22   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
You are welcome, Yea happened to me as well. I think it takes a lot more effort to stick with P90X when compared to others regimens.btw Tony Horton is hilarious.
Yep I was checking out his facebook page. That guy is 53 years old and his body is enough to inspire us. No need of all the before after pictures of the participants.
Wow I mean hats off to Tony Horton. I wanna look like that at 53.

Gotta finalise my meal plans. Ive become heavily overweight
Old 5th May 2012, 23:27   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Yep I was checking out his facebook page. That guy is 53 years old and his body is enough to inspire us. No need of all the before after pictures of the participants.
Wow I mean hats off to Tony Horton. I wanna look like that at 53.

Gotta finalise my meal plans. Ive become heavily overweight
+1

For meal plans, do not be too restrictive as you wont be able to stick on to it for long if it is. Use the meal plans as guidelines, not as set rules
Old 5th May 2012, 23:45   #404
BHPian

This may just be a silly question however here it goes,

In my gym (a crappy one) out of the treadmills I generally do my HIIT's on, one of them is well ventilated (nice and cool) while the other ones are not (hot!). So when I exercise on the well ventilated ones I generally sweat less and find it easier to do my 30-45mins while on the other I start sweating a lot more and the same 30-45mins seems difficult.

So my Question is, do you burn less calories/less fat when you run on a well ventilated treadmill compared to a less ventilated one?
Old 6th May 2012, 00:25   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
This may just be a silly question however here it goes,

In my gym (a crappy one) out of the treadmills I generally do my HIIT's on, one of them is well ventilated (nice and cool) while the other ones are not (hot!). So when I exercise on the well ventilated ones I generally sweat less and find it easier to do my 30-45mins while on the other I start sweating a lot more and the same 30-45mins seems difficult.

So my Question is, do you burn less calories/less fat when you run on a well ventilated treadmill compared to a less ventilated one?
IMO There is no perfect answer because as long as u workout with the same intensity the calorie burn should be almost the same. If you sweat more using the unventilated one you do burn more calories, but only a negligible increase. Significant calorie burn is due to exertion not due to sweat.Personally, I never use ventilated equipment since I always estimate a good work out by how*much I sweat. So carry On as long as its the same intensity

Edit - what is your rep count like for a 30-45 minute HIIT session?

Last edited by akshayasok : 6th May 2012 at 00:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks