Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 09:30   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r

Thanks for the info. I drink a liter of Water(With Honey and Lemon) before cycling and a liter of normal water while cycling.

I believe majority of cyclist take water with electrolyte powder to replenish the lost salts. Do Check with your doctor once
So what should be the right quantity of water consumed.I also drink water with honey and lemon early in the morning before I start with my daily exercise.

Last edited by rki2007 : 9th March 2012 at 09:34.
Old 9th March 2012, 10:01   #317
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Hi All,

Another tried and tested method of not gaining weight, well we all, almost all of us cannot resist yummy food, and mostly the yummiest of food either has lots of ghee or butter or cheese etc, now a very very simple thing, just imagine you had a feast of veg/non veg biryani and it is very common to add a Pepsi/coke/thumps up to the feast, what happens is all the ghee/butter which goes into the stomach gets stuck to the walls because cold soft drink which was consume along makes the ghee/butter hard, this in turn becomes fat as it cannot be absorbed easily by body as it is hard for it to break a solidified ghee or butter.

Now just a simple change (I did this to my diet), after the feast or along with the feast, try to consume a little hot water instead of cold water/soft drink. This hot water will melt the ghee/butter consumed by you and in turn it will not get deposited. This way not by a very great margin but yes to a very good extent you will not gain much of the weight after sumptuous feast which will make you feel less guilty.

I was of such mentality that even in high fever I could not live without chiiled water, but since last 7-8 months i have started taking a little hot water, even in office my water bottle is not filled with chilled but little hot water. This has worked for me, I would love if someone else also tries this and get back with results for everyone's benefit.

Please add a drop or two of lemon to hot water that you would consume after you have finished your feast.
Old 9th March 2012, 10:32   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Now just a simple change (I did this to my diet), after the feast or along with the feast, try to consume a little hot water instead of cold water/soft drink. This hot water will melt the ghee/butter consumed by you and in turn it will not get deposited. This way not by a very great margin but yes to a very good extent you will not gain much of the weight after sumptuous feast which will make you feel less guilty.
Hello Gadgetfreak,

Infact this is what I am following since last couple of years (6 years to be precise). Everytime I go to a party or have outside food, after coming back home, I have a glass or hot water along with one teaspoon Honey & 8 / 10 drops of lemon.

I also always pop in a Pudin Hara tablet everytime I return with a heavy stomach from a party.

This has worked well from me & hope you too have seen my before after photos on page 16 of this thread.

Thanks,
Old 9th March 2012, 10:39   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Gadgetfreak,

Infact this is what I am following since last couple of years (6 years to be precise). Everytime I go to a party or have outside food, after coming back home, I have a glass or hot water along with one teaspoon Honey & 8 / 10 drops of lemon.

I also always pop in a Pudin Hara tablet everytime I return with a heavy stomach from a party.

This has worked well from me & hope you too have seen my before after photos on page 16 of this thread.

Thanks,

I saw your pics and they are really commendable. Well I was 2 kgs more than what your wight was in the first pic and now I am around 74kgs in almost 11-12 months span.

I rarely take pudin hara, instead i prefer Sat-Isabghol. This was recommended to me by maternal uncle who is very well aware of medicines and has been in medicine line since past 30 plus years. Even if I am popping a pain killer I don't take it without consulting him. His prescribed medicines work for me. He told me to take this isabghol and it is working good for me.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:05   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another tried and tested method of not gaining weight, well we all, almost all of us cannot resist yummy food, and mostly the yummiest of food either has lots of ghee or butter or cheese etc, now a very very simple thing, just imagine you had a feast of veg/non veg biryani and it is very common to add a Pepsi/coke/thumps up to the feast, what happens is all the ghee/butter which goes into the stomach gets stuck to the walls because cold soft drink which was consume along makes the ghee/butter hard, this in turn becomes fat as it cannot be absorbed easily by body as it is hard for it to break a solidified ghee or butter.

Now just a simple change (I did this to my diet), after the feast or along with the feast, try to consume a little hot water instead of cold water/soft drink. This hot water will melt the ghee/butter consumed by you and in turn it will not get deposited.
No offence but the reason it's working for you is the fact that you're not consuming the empty calories in aerated sweetened drinks and has very little to do with melting of butter and ghee and its absorption into the system. Add to that the fact that lukewarm water is in general good for digestion, and there you have it.

Ghee/butter is pure fat: whether it is "melted" or not, should have absolutely no impact on its absorption into your system, IMHO. I am not a nutrition expert but it just seems logical.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 11:08   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
No offence but the reason it's working for you is the fact that you're not consuming the empty calories in aerated sweetened drinks and has very little to do with melting of butter and ghee and its absorption into the system. Add to that the fact that lukewarm water is in general good for digestion, and there you have it.

Ghee/butter is pure fat: whether it is "melted" or not, should have absolutely no impact on its absorption into your system, IMHO. I am not a nutrition expert but it just seems logical.

I agree to what you are saying on conditions that assuming that what you are consuming is home made.

If you are going out and eating then its pretty sure that ghee used by the restaurant guy will be dalda or impure as pure is expensive, then the logic mentioned by me will work good.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:30   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
this in turn becomes fat as it cannot be absorbed easily by body as it is hard for it to break a solidified ghee or butter.

Ok I am not sure if I have missed reading about any such thing but according to my current understanding of Human physiology this is just a notion. Our body doesn't absorb fat the way you explained. Its broken down in the small intestine by various enzymes into its simplest form called fatty acids and finally absorbed. Actually Fat digestion doesn't even occur in Stomach. Stomach can only break proteins into simpler forms. So the whole idea that fat will get solidified and form layers in your stomach is wrong mate.

Drinking water helps generally since it adds bulk to your stools. So does fibre. In the end if you eat more fibre it will prevent the fat from getting absorbed and you will just pass it out in your stools. Adding honey and lemon helps in other ways.

I am not ridiculing your post. Just stating facts from what I have read.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 11:47   #323
Senior - BHPian

@Gadgetfreak, with due respect, there is no short cut to cutting fat or weight. Honey, lemon, warm water will help in different ways but to cut down fat/weight and get fitter one needs to take the tough route. Diet control has never worked for me, and it has its own limitations. Exercise works every time, and the best part, if one is not trying to reduce weight one can continue eating whatever one wants.

Exercise and only a good fitness regime can cut down fat, reduce weight (sometimes), and make you fitter.

This reminds me of the song No easy way out by Robert Tepper

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 9th March 2012 at 11:52.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:48   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Ok I am not sure if I have missed reading about any such thing but according to my current understanding of Human physiology this is just a notion. Our body doesn't absorb fat the way you explained. Its broken down in the small intestine by various enzymes into its simplest form called fatty acids and finally absorbed. Actually Fat digestion doesn't even occur in Stomach. Stomach can only break proteins into simpler forms. So the whole idea that fat will get solidified and form layers in your stomach is wrong mate.

Drinking water helps generally since it adds bulk to your stools. So does fibre. In the end if you eat more fibre it will prevent the fat from getting absorbed and you will just pass it out in your stools. Adding honey and lemon helps in other ways.

I am not ridiculing your post. Just stating facts from what I have read.

Hi Mohit,

Thanks for the information, i just wanted to keep my post a little short so did not explain the entire process and just wrote that when it enters stomach and also few things that you told like water adding bulk to stool are new to me, so this information noted. But yes I am aware of the process of fat absorption.

Now the point I wanted to convey was drinking HOT water does wonders for you if you are planning to loose weight when compared to Cold water/drinks.

Cold water/drinks contracts or shrivel the blood vessels around the stomach and this slows the rate of absorption of nutrients. Warm water will boost up the nutrient absorption and aid weight loss.

This is just my understanding and if I'm wrong in any place then please correct me so that I'm more clearer about what I'm doing.

@ Mayank,

I agree with you, the one's that I mentioned are just top ups that can give you extra benefits along with workouts, buddy I have a little strict regime designed for me which includes jogging for 4-5 KMS, walk for around 3 kms and 1hr of lawn tennis. I start my day @ 4:45 am.

Last edited by Gadgetfreak : 9th March 2012 at 11:54.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:50   #325
Senior - BHPian

Best approach is not to have any water immediately before or after the meals.

Water dilutes the digestive juices inside our stomach. Cold water is even worse, because not only does it dilute the digestive juices, it further reduces the effectiveness of the digestive system by lowering the temperature inside the stomach. Cold drink is the worst because it also adds empty calories in addition to the damage which cold water does to the digestive system.

While we are discussing water, I would like to know one thing. Most people swear by having warm water with lemon and honey in the morning. People say that this melts the fat. I would like to know whether there is some scientific evidence behind this, or it is just an old housewife's tale.

Rohan
Old 9th March 2012, 12:21   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mohit,

Cold water/drinks contracts or shrivel the blood vessels around the stomach and this slows the rate of absorption of nutrients. Warm water will boost up the nutrient absorption and aid weight loss.

This is just my understanding and if I'm wrong in any place then please correct me so that I'm more clearer about what I'm doing.
Now see this is where you are going wrong partly. You are absolutely right about the blood vessels. But going by that logic if you absorb more nutrients then how does it help lose weight? The whole field of bariatric surgery ie surgery done to promote weight loss in extreme cases of obesity is based on the same. By surgical methods we cause malabsorption of the food that you eat. Hence it will not get absorbed and you will pass it all out undigested in your stools. I am not going into the details of it but you get the basic principle behind it right?

So what most people feel by using warm water is what you have described correctly but interpreted a little wrong. They end up having better digestion and less cases of flatulence and heaviness after meals rather then weight loss. The same logic also explains why our parents always told us not to take bath right after a meal or any other exercise. Because that just shunts blood to other parts of your body rather from your GI tract where its needed at that time for digestion.

Quote:
buddy I have a little strict regime designed for me which includes jogging for 4-5 KMS, walk for around 3 kms and 1hr of lawn tennis. I start my day @ 4:45 am.
How I wish I could muster up even half of your will power. All I end up doing is cursing the Alarm and sleep off again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Best approach is not to have any water immediately before or after the meals.

Water dilutes the digestive juices inside our stomach. Cold water is even worse, because not only does it dilute the digestive juices, it further reduces the effectiveness of the digestive system by lowering the temperature inside the stomach. Cold drink is the worst because it also adds empty calories in addition to the damage which cold water does to the digestive system.

. I would like to know whether there is some scientific evidence behind this, or it is just an old housewife's tale.
See my post above. I have tried explaining it. One should not drink water during a meal not because it screws up your digestive juices since that will in a way aid in losing weight ( read my post above). Rather what it really does is that it adds to the total volume of food you have taken in. Your stomach has to expand and dilate to accomodate all that volume. Now you can imagine how much expansion can a glass of water cause. Its quite substantial. Now our stomach has something called as stretch receptors which is a part of normal mechanism to make you stop eating. When the stomach starts accomodating the food you are eating it reaches a certain volume at which these receptors get stimulated. Now these will send a signal to your brain that its time to stop eating and the brain in return will make you feel full and you will cease eating. With water you are just causing your stomach to dilate forcefully. Doing this in and out every day will ultimately reset your receptors and they will get used to the dilated/ now increased volume before signalling the brain. As a result now next time you will not stop eating that third chapatti since your stomach can now accomodate more food. And on top of it you will drink water in the end and the vicious circle will continue.

Ofcourse the above process is not that simple but I have just tried to give you a basic idea. Sorry for the long post. Hope it clears some doubts.

Last edited by drmohitg : 9th March 2012 at 12:22.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 12:29   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks drmohitsahib . Actually the biggest shocker to me was finding out that it is not in fact FAT which is the enemy #1 but innocuous-looking CARBOHYDRATES. My dietician is cool with me using a dollop of ghee on my idli-chutney for example- she is more worried if I eat 6 idlis instead of 3. After 3 months on the fitness trail, am beginning to see the sense of this.

Check this link: Top 10 diet myths

It's actually MYTH NO 1 that no-fat or low-fat diets are good for weight loss. From my experience they just make you feel miserable while a low-carb, high-protein and reduced-fat diet actually works wonders to making you feel good and works as well.

Unrelated: my name finally came up in the lights (figuratively speaking). "Anoop lost 5 kg in 1.5 months", it says on the notice board of the gym I frequent (update: 6.5 kg in 3 months). Feels good!
Old 9th March 2012, 12:35   #328
BHPian

Quote:

How I wish I could muster up even half of your will power. All I end up doing is cursing the Alarm and sleep off again.
Well I was sailing the same boat when i was touching 92kgs. That time i decided instead of paying doctors i will spend on my own and buy nice things for myself by loosing weight and feeling fitter. And i feel if you do something for 21 days regularly it becomes a routine. Also i believe in doing things on my own without company cause if you partner backs out on some days your routine takes a big hit.

Quote:
See my post above. I have tried explaining it. One should not drink water during a meal not because it screws up your digestive juices since that will in a way aid in losing weight ( read my post above). Rather what it really does is that it adds to the total volume of food you have taken in. Your stomach has to expand and dilate to accomodate all that volume. Now you can imagine how much expansion can a glass of water cause. Its quite substantial. Now our stomach has something called as stretch receptors which is a part of normal mechanism to make you stop eating. When the stomach starts accomodating the food you are eating it reaches a certain volume at which these receptors get stimulated. Now these will send a signal to your brain that its time to stop eating and the brain in return will make you feel full and you will cease eating. With water you are just causing your stomach to dilate forcefully. Doing this in and out every day will ultimately reset your receptors and they will get used to the dilated/ now increased volume before signalling the brain. As a result now next time you will not stop eating that third chapatti since your stomach can now accomodate more food. And on top of it you will drink water in the end and the vicious circle will continue.

Ofcourse the above process is not that simple but I have just tried to give you a basic idea. Sorry for the long post. Hope it clears some doubts.

I was once told by a doc that you should drink a lot of water in a day but not at one go, since then i have stopped drinking my early morning 1ltr dose of water. He told me that huge quantity of water in a single go regularly will make stomach expand to accommodate so much of water and if done regularly, it will loose its elasticity and getting back to originality will be difficult. As I am not from medical background and had studied BIO only till 12th, bought his explanation to some extent and put it into practice.

Also what I knew was one should drink water before meal and chew your food for long,logic behind: Your stomach takes time to send signal to brain that it is full so 2-3 glass of water fills your stomach which results in less eating of food, and if chewing is done slowly than chances of overeating are reduced because brain receives signals from stomach before overeating is done if chewed slowly. This is my understanding, Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Gadgetfreak : 9th March 2012 at 12:38.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:39   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

I've lost 4 kgs on the weighing scale since December but the in body analysis tells me I've lost an additional 4kgs of fat which has been replaced by muscle.

I've also lost inches around my neck, thigh, waist and hips.

I've gained inches at my calf, forearm, shoulders and biceps. My BMR has increase by 10% and my 1km running test has come down from a time of 7:21 to 6:58.

I've gone down almost 2 sizes in my pants and at least a size in my shirts.

I'm really big and these are all small gains but I'm optimistic. Now that I have the momentum, I'm confident!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 12:40   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Thanks drmohitsahib .
You are more than welcome moderatorsahib

Quote:
Actually the biggest shocker to me was finding out that it is not in fact FAT which is the enemy #1 but innocuous-looking CARBOHYDRATES. My dietician is cool with me using a dollop of ghee on my idli-chutney for example- she is more worried if I eat 6 idlis instead of 3. After 3 months on the fitness trail, am beginning to see the sense of this.
Yup Carbs are the biggest enemy because people don't identify it as a bad thing and end up eating them left right and centre. Otherwise on a calorie scale nothing can come close to fats. I am not sure if you know this already but all the excess carbs you eat are ultimately converted into fat by your body and stored!

Quote:
Unrelated: my name finally came up in the lights (figuratively speaking). "Anoop lost 5 kg in 1.5 months", it says on the notice board of the gym I frequent (update: 6.5 kg in 3 months). Feels good!
So why not share that special diet plan?

Quote:
Also what I knew was one should drink water before meal and chew your food for long,logic behind: Your stomach takes time to send signal to brain that it is full so 2-3 glass of water fills your stomach which results in less eating of food, and if chewing is done slowly than chances of overeating are reduced because brain receives signals from stomach before overeating is done if chewed slowly. This is my understanding, Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
Absolutely correct. This is exactly what I was trying to say above. In the end the AIM is to make the stomach feel full. With what is your choice ranging from something nutritious like water + salad or something tasty like a double cheese dominos.

Last edited by drmohitg : 9th March 2012 at 12:45.

Most Viewed