Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2023, 05:32   #3106
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
Pant size has gone down from 34 to 30.T-Shirt/Shirt size has gone down from XL to L or even M in some brands.

Stamina and Strength is much improved.

This was achieved via Intermittent Fasting (2 meals in a day). Avoiding Processed sugars as much as possible. Regular exercise. I still indulged myself every now and then but always made sure to compensate for it in the following days.
Congratulations on achieving your weight loss goal. You have chosen a healthy lifestyle. Enjoy health and fitness for the rest of life now
Old 10th November 2023, 11:36   #3107
BHPian

Never thought I would have to embark on a weight-loss journey, as I considered myself quite athletic/healthy/immune to modern-day ailments

However, neither my circumstances that lead to weight-loss were as severe/life-threatening as many others nor the results achieved as impressive/remarkable as many others did here!

It all started with #ChineseCoronaVirus Honestly, don't even know if the vaccines (covishield 2 doses + booster) played any role in my situation, or was covid itself the reason for the following health situations faced. Anyhow, life post-covid is certainly a compromised & less healthy one for me compared to pre-covid :-(

* Weight-gain : due to forced sedentary lifestyle; reached 94.5kg. Thought this is acceptable for my height of 6ft, but Dr's recommended weight-reduction
* Covid - early 2021
* Acute appendicitis & laparoscopic appendectomy
* Severe bloating post appendectomy
* Within a year, NAFLD - grade-3 fatty liver, quite near to cirrhosis
* Acute uric acid deposit problem in feet & severe pain
* Severe bloating, discomfort
* Slight disc bulge/sciatic pain in legs

I had it enough, had been frequenting hospital CONTINUOUSLY :-(

Apart from medications prescribed by gastroenterologist/orthopaedist/rheumatologist, and dietary changes suggested by them, undertook the following changes:

* reduced carbs intake drastically, rice/wheat/idli/dosa/roti - quantity reduced to almost 1/4th; compensated with oats/ragi/millets/fresh cut veggies salad/protein (egg/milk/daal/pulses only, no meat/fish)
* this maybe a placebo effect, but consumed ACV (apple cider vinegar) on empty stomach for 6months or so; helped(?) reduce weight
* vit-E capsules for liver health occasionally
* reduced alcohol consumption - from earlier couple of drinks per month now once per month (whisky/beer)
* ensure to drink minimum 2.5-3L water per day
* have a sweet tooth, used to consume "good" quantities of Sri Krishna ghee mysorepa type sweets ;-) reduced it to max once per month
* fresh cut fruits once per day, at noon thereabouts, between breakfast-lunch
* workout/exercise - yoga/planks/crunches/weights: 3days/week, walking : daily
* no junk-food/colas (even before too)
* full day fasting one or two days / month - on ekadashi typically - only warm water + elneer (tender coconut)

Net result:

* weight - before 94.5kg, weight - after 81kg
* brought down liver condition to grade-1
* no more severe bloating/discomfort, though mild bloating still persists
* feel quite light overall
* ALL my pants/jeans had to be re-adjusted, waist size 36in to 33 thereabouts!

Takeaway: if a modest effort as I put in can give results, there's no reason other members with their intense programs can't achieve better results!

Go for it! More is always not the merrier - more kgs on yourself means less health!

Live healthy & prosper ! \\//

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 10th November 2023 at 11:50.
KrisTvpm is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 11:47   #3108
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My fitness journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I never though I will ever post anything on this thread…
… …
Life is fun!
Quote:

And wish me some more luck - In January 2022, approximately 2 full years and 2 months after I started running, I will run my first full marathon to the finish line, without dragging my feet - eagerly waiting for Bangalore Marathon or TMM (preferred).
Quote:
Nothing fancy - just a routine update: I am here, holding up well. Constant for past 2 years plus at 67.5 kgs with exceptions of a kg here and there.

I have successfully completed several HMs well under 2 hours mark (best being 1:50 hrs at Mysore Marathon earlier this year) and my first ever full marathon in exactly 4:14 mins at Bangalore Marathon on Oct 16 this year.
I said this earlier: Motivation can get you started, discipline is what will make you keep at it without fail!

After reading and learning few more experiences of life, want to quote another successful athlete and novelist, Haruki Murakami. He wrote in his book about running: Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

The reason I bring these things together is to drive two points for you from my experience perspective:
  • Motivation is important, so is company and encouragement.
  • Discipline is what gets you there and helps you stay there.
  • No road is easy: great to see transformation pictures and achievements, etc. It comes at cost: the largest one to pay is being out of action, suffering with injuries. There can be a detailed thread on injuries and what not! While you cannot avoid injury always, it’s upto you how you manage the injury and bounce back after it.
I had many injuries during my run that prevented me from participating in a TMM FM race for two years. This year though, i changed my game and told myself, i am going to break the jinx and start all over again - do the HM first and then think about FM. It’s like restarting the cycle all over again. This isn't from the weight perspective but the overall fitness - I am holding my weight constantly for past 3-4 years. Not more than a kg fluctuation. My fitness level for the running has gone down drastically due to injuries and disruptions in routine. But anyway, now after missing to go for TMM two years, 2024, I participated in HM and returned home happy!

A picture speaks more about state I crossed the finish line than these words:

The Weight Loss Thread-img_4253.jpeg

The Weight Loss Thread-img_1093.jpeg

The Weight Loss Thread-img_1105.jpeg

While I know this is not long lasting, I would like to believe that the best is yet to come!

Life is sure a lot of fun!

PS: And with this post, I hope to bring back those who have drifted away from the plan - stay on course, the tunnel will open up into bright light for sure! And by the way, I follow the same routine even today that I started four years ago. And continue to feast guilt free - that light at the end of tunnel is well worth it
abirnale is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 08:46   #3109
BHPian

Re: My fitness journey!

Quote:
While I know this is not long lasting, I would like to believe that the best is yet to come!

Life is sure a lot of fun!
That's a fast HM, 5:03/km is fast for me right now even for a 5k. Finishing my 5k in 25:27 a few weeks back, I felt like what Kipchoge feels after a Marathon . This is inspiring. Owing to our sedentary lifestyle we come up with excuses of no time for this and no time for that. It has been my thinking it's not about lack of time, it's our priorities that need to be in order. If it's important enough you will get up and do it even at 4:30 am, ask me on my riding/driving days or when I am fully caffeinated for breaking a PB. Kudos to your efforts sir !!! You have inspired me for this upcoming long weekend to hit the dirt and try to better my timing.

However, I am not at all disciplined with food, typically after a good run/sports activity I generally give myself licence to eat junk food. I know that is bad, but that is the motivation that brings me to the track, sweat and struggle
masterChief007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 14:50   #3110
BHPian

Seeing a lot of pictures and motivational stories here has encouraged me to bring out mine as well.

This is a before and after(current). The grainy photo is one from a group pic that we took during a office get together in early 2021. I rarely stood in pics usually out of very low self-confidence - that has always been part of me due to my weight since childhood.

The Weight Loss Thread-2cc392533edd418c9c69e94ce89aacc3collage.jpg

I currently weigh around 78kg, + or -1. The journey from 100 plus to this started in March 2023. And i did what everyone mostly here did: burnt the fat with motivation and disciple.

As Abirnale mentions above, the motivation was required just for the beginning few months. Then it became discipline. Currently its just part of my day, like taking a bath. I haven't drastically changed my diet, but dropped a portion and skip a meal once or twice a week.
Other than that, its just burning. I run/cycle everyday now(well, almost!). There are new motivations and targets that come up.

If i don't run, the feeling of incompleteness lingers somewhere in my mind through the day.
But i also don't beat myself if i don't. A new day is always there.
All the best to everyone on this journey to discovering a new themselves.
aneezan is offline   (107) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 16:31   #3111
Senior - BHPian

@ Ertigiat

If you stick with it, you will realize that it was probably the best decision you ever made.
As for supplements, I am not a big proponent of them now, specially for people who are just starting on their fitness journey. Your body will go through a lot of metabolic changes as you start working out. Dont overstress your system by introducing a lot of new stuff into the equation.
As for cravings, here is something interesting! As you start working out more regularly, your body's sensitivity to satiety signals increases.
Exercising restores sensitivity of neurons that make one feel full
This means that as you overall reduce your calorie intake due to this increased sensitivity, you can still afford to feed your cravings a little!
The best way to stick with a fitness regime is to make it enjoyable. If you turn it into a punishment, it will not last.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2024 at 11:06. Reason: Quoted post deleted, but retaining your helpful post :)
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 14:16   #3112
BHPian

A very nice (informative and funny) podcast by Dr. Pal (gastroenterologist) and renowned chef Mr. Bhat on proper diet for a healthy life style. The video is in Tamil, but English captions are available.

Ps: not related to either of them, but follow videos by Dr. Pal.

Last edited by SuperGirl_Dad : 20th May 2024 at 14:17.
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 00:36   #3113
Senior - BHPian

It has been 6 months now since I have changed the composition of my diet. In those 6 months, my 6'3" frame has lost 8 kgs, lost a couple of inches around the wait, lost whatever paunch I had, lost my double chin, regained my jawline, all the while maintaining constant muscle mass while the body fat %age has gone down from 19.6% to 15.7%

3 months prior to this change in diet, I had high cholesterol, high LDL and high triglycerides. They were high enough that my doctor was about to prescribe medication. 3 months into this diet, I got the blood tests done again and all markers were within tolerance.

Changes in diet:
1. Egg consumption gone down from 2 eggs a day to 1 a week.
2. Meat (chicken/turkey/fish) gone down from ~5 times a week to once a week.
3. Increased consumption of rice (brown as well as white), beans, pulses, vegetables and fruits.
4. Increased number of rotis from 2 to 3 for lunch as well as dinner.
5. Switched from whey protein to plant based protein (I have stopped that as well at the moment).
6. Increased consumption of nuts.
7. Completely stopped drinking milk.
8. Completely stopped consuming desi ghee.
9. Heavily reduced consuming cheese.
10. Heavily reduced consuming curd.

I have already been alcohol free for almost 2 years now.

Some of you know that I am a cyclist as well, however this year my cycling miles are nowhere near the usual levels as I am still recovering from a bad crash. My usual workout routine for a week is 2-3 strength training sessions and 3-4 bike rides.

I have stopped focusing on how many grams of protein I should take per lean mass or per kg. Instead, I got a Dexa Scan done that also gave me my Basal Metabolic Rate which gave me a good approximation of my energy needs. Based on that I try to ensure that 50% of that comes from carbs, 30% from fats and 20% from proteins and 100% of all that from whole food plant based diet. I plan to continue with this into the foreseeable future and see where it leads. I do have another blood test coming up in September and I am thinking of getting another Dexa scan done in a month.

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 10:39   #3114
BHPian

Anyone know where in Pune you can get a Dexa scan done without a doctor’s prescription? I have asked around multiple places and they refuse to do a scan without a prescription.
Old 3rd July 2024, 10:12   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Changes in diet:
1. Egg consumption gone down from 2 eggs a day to 1 a week.
2. Meat (chicken/turkey/fish) gone down from ~5 times a week to once a week.
3. Increased consumption of rice (brown as well as white), beans, pulses, vegetables and fruits.
4. Increased number of rotis from 2 to 3 for lunch as well as dinner.
5. Switched from whey protein to plant based protein (I have stopped that as well at the moment).
6. Increased consumption of nuts.
7. Completely stopped drinking milk.
8. Completely stopped consuming desi ghee.
9. Heavily reduced consuming cheese.
10. Heavily reduced consuming curd.
Hi Amitoj - any specific reason for reducing egg and meat? and increasing carbs?I though the other way around is recommended for weight loss?
Dairy products reduction i can totally understand, especially in context of high cholesterol.
Old 3rd July 2024, 14:39   #3116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
Hi Amitoj - any specific reason for reducing egg and meat? and increasing carbs?I though the other way around is recommended for weight loss?
Dairy products reduction i can totally understand, especially in context of high cholesterol.
I had been eating eggs for breakfast since I can remember. And in office, my lunch always had some white meat with cheese. And I always had high cholesterol and LDL, even though I am an avid cyclist and do strength training as well regularly. So, I had to change something!

I increased consumption of complex carbs found in pulses, legumes etc and reduced eating saturated fat found in dairy and meat to see if that will move the needle on LDL. And it did.

I have to confess though that I was also influenced by a couple of Netflix documentaries (You Are What You Eat, The Blue Zones, and The Gamechangers)
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 15:42   #3117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And I always had high cholesterol and LDL, even though I am an avid cyclist and do strength training as well regularly. So, I had to change something!
The Weight Loss Thread-lipid.jpg

These are my numbers from earlier this year.

If you don't mind can you share what were your numbers before and after these dietary changes.

Quote:

I increased consumption of complex carbs found in pulses, legumes etc and reduced eating saturated fat found in dairy and meat to see if that will move the needle on LDL. And it did.
I have always had higher LDL values but not really bothered much about them. Since the ratio of HDL to LDL has always been in a good range and the doctors have always emphasised that that is the most important factor.

Quote:
I have to confess though that I was also influenced by a couple of Netflix documentaries (You Are What You Eat, The Blue Zones, and The Gamechangers)
I tried watching some of these shows but realized that a Vegan life for me is a life not worth living.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd July 2024 at 15:56.
Old 3rd July 2024, 17:57   #3118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
These are my numbers from earlier this year.

If you don't mind can you share what were your numbers before and after these dietary changes.
Sure. Here they are:
The Weight Loss Thread-cholldl.png
The Weight Loss Thread-hdltrig.png

Quote:
I have always had higher LDL values but not really bothered much about them. Since the ratio of HDL to LDL has always been in a good range and the doctors have always emphasised that that is the most important factor.
I would not second guess your doctors but I think I saw analysis of a study over at PlantChompers (I could be wrong about the channel) that looked at LDL as a standalone risk factor for cardiovascular health.

Quote:
I tried watching some of these shows but realized that a Vegan life for me is a life not worth living.
Yeah I can totally understand. Not the same thing, but I gave up alcohol multiple times under the guise of Dry January, Dry Quarter etc before finally being free from it completely. As for the diet, I still do occasionally indulge in meat and dairy specially if it is more convenient as a meal for everyone at home, but if there is a vegan option available, I go for that first. At the same time, I am also going down the rabbit hole of the question of ethics behind consuming meat and dairy which is pushing me more towards veganism. But that's a discussion for another day another thread another forum perhaps.
Old 3rd July 2024, 19:10   #3119
Team-BHP Support

I think the biggest change for you has been in the Triglycerides.

Those are as far as I know the really bad stuff. So a huge congrats on that change.

One reason I find it very difficult to accept the hypothesis of websites that suggest "Veg Only" kind of diets is based on the random people I meet in my day to day life.

If social status is same, the people eating normal food compared to restricted diets of only lacto-veg seem to be much healthier. Especially as they age.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 19:28   #3120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If social status is same, the people eating normal food compared to restricted diets of only lacto-veg seem to be much healthier. Especially as they age.
That's fortunate if you are surrounded by healthy people! I look around me and I see everyone in my age group as well as 35-45 group walking around with a belly and that includes cyclists as well. I guess it is more a matter of discipline than diet. Coke is vegan after all

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks