Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:09   #3046

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Fat Is the Cause of Type 2 Diabetes - A short article by Dr. Michael Greger.

I have attached the original paper mentioned in this paragraph from the article:

This mechanism by which fat induces insulin resistance wasn’t known until fancy MRI techniques were developed to see what was happening inside people’s muscles as fat was infused into their bloodstream. That’s how we found that elevation of fat levels in the blood causes insulin resistance by inhibition of glucose transport into the muscles.

As a side note, his website NutritionFacts.org and his youtube channel are a great resource for evidence based dietary recommendations.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 972859.pdf (173.2 KB, 234 views)
niteshm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 18:21   #3047
Team-BHP Support

Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 19:27   #3048
BHPian

Fasting helps tremendously. I mean, your body has been working non stop, day in day out, for decades. It needs some downtime to reset and rejuvenate. Your body will thank you profusely and perform better. One of the simplest way to detox is by fasting.

Fasting is again subjective.

12:12 you don't eat for 12 hours. Say, from 9pm to 9am.

8:14 you don't eat anything from 7pm to 9am

6:18 is catching up as an alternative to total fasting. So no eating from 3pm to 9am following day

Lastly 24 hour fasting. From 9pm to 9om the next day... Punishing.

Liquids can be had intermittently. Water, juices, even a fruit.

I do the 8:14 5 days a week. 12:12 for weekends.
6:18 is a rarity, maybe when the tummy goes for a toss.

And try not to stuff yourself up during any meal. Leave some room for water.
Ideally eat food slowly. Chew properly. And connect with your food. Your gut will be healthy and strong. Immunity will be at its peak.

The principles of Ayurveda are still very pertinent in our fast paced urban lives.

Fasting helps.... A lot. It's very potent as far as one's health and weight are concerned.

That's why we have so many festivals and days like ekaadashi And chaturthi to promote some form of fasting.

Try it, you may just end up loving it. And it's free.
Aloneatma is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 20:41   #3049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloneatma View Post
8:14 you don't eat anything from 7pm to 9am
I guess you mean 10:14.
Old 8th August 2022, 21:48   #3050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloneatma View Post
Liquids can be had intermittently. Water, juices, even a fruit.

Fasting helps.... A lot. It's very potent as far as one's health and weight are concerned.
Totally agree with you on the advantages of fasting. I have been following a fasting lifestyle for the past 4 years now and it has been an eye opener in terms of health benefits and weight loss and maintenance.

However, there is one point where I would differ. If you really want the full effect of fasting, avoid fruits or juices. Any food that has sugar or calories will put your body out of fasting mode.

Yes. This type of fasting helps in providing the well deserved rest for the digestive system. But at the hormone level, it looses its effect and you do not get the full advantage.

In all religions, water fasting is considered the purest form of fasting. If one were to deviate from this as water fasting is also very tough when done for longer hours, it is fine to have some liquids like black coffee or green tea that do not have any calories and do not put your body out of fasting mode. But anything else is not recommended.
graaja is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 08:52   #3051
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a question on ideal foods to break fast.

Whenever I have oily foods, and nuts to brake the fast, I dont have an issue further in the day, but, the moment sugar or carbs are the first thing to break the fast, I end up in acidity later in the day. The strange part is that, only the food that breaks the fast is a problem.

Say at 12:00 PM I break the fast using ground nuts/Almonds, and go ahead and have fried veggies and meat, and then a great sweet desert, and may be even some carb filled foods, I'm OK. But, if I have a fresh juice, or dosas to break the fast, and even if I have fibrous food like watermelon, or vegetables, then by evening I have acidity.
Old 9th August 2022, 09:04   #3052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I guess you mean 10:14.
Correct 👍😊
It is 10:14.
Have breakfast after 9am. Last meal before 7pm. Then lockdown. Initially body and mind rebel. Over time body thanks you but mind still rebels. With more time, body convinces mind to pipe down. When body and mind work in tandem the result is very promising.
Aloneatma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 09:13   #3053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I have a question on ideal foods to break fast.

Whenever I have oily foods, and nuts to brake the fast, I dont have an issue further in the day, but, the moment sugar or carbs are the first thing to break the fast, I end up in acidity later in the day. The strange part is that, only the food that breaks the fast is a problem.

Say at 12:00 PM I break the fast using ground nuts/Almonds, and go ahead and have fried veggies and meat, and then a great sweet desert, and may be even some carb filled foods, I'm OK. But, if I have a fresh juice, or dosas to break the fast, and even if I have fibrous food like watermelon, or vegetables, then by evening I have acidity.
For shorter day to day fasts like 16:8 or 18:6, there is no specific guideline to break the fast. For long fasts that last more than two days, it is always recommended to break the fast with a low-carb meal to avoid insulin shock to the body.

In your case, maybe the regulatory system is sensitive to carbs and releases more acid on empty stomach. You have to work based on what works for you. If a low carb meal to break a fast does not give you problem, then I would suggest you stick to low carb food to break a fast.
Old 9th August 2022, 09:14   #3054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Totally agree with you on the advantages of fasting. I have been following a fasting lifestyle for the past 4 years now and it has been an eye opener in terms of health benefits and weight loss and maintenance.

However, there is one point where I would differ. If you really want the full effect of fasting, avoid fruits or juices. Any food that has sugar or calories will put your body out of fasting mode.

Yes. This type of fasting helps in providing the well deserved rest for the digestive system. But at the hormone level, it looses its effect and you do not get the full advantage.

In all religions, water fasting is considered the purest form of fasting. If one were to deviate from this as water fasting is also very tough when done for longer hours, it is fine to have some liquids like black coffee or green tea that do not have any calories and do not put your body out of fasting mode. But anything else is not recommended.
Absolutely with you on this. I didn't want to scare anyone interested in taking up fasting hence the concessions.
Fasting has to be done gradually as it can backfire. The stomach has been conditioned to produce so much acid over the years. When you fast the tummy rebels and there could be a lot of acid reflux. Again, I have witnessed cases where the person fasting has fainted due to extreme weakness.

That is why it is better to start slow and increase the intensity gradually. Fasting for 24 hours only on water is intimidating and fraught with its own challenges. It is only for the advanced practitioner.

For all the rest of us, moderate and periodic fasting can lead to amazing and desired results. The objective is to cleanse the body and not necessarily torture it.

We do it with our cars but struggle to do it with our bodies. Cars don't have a tongue😝
Old 9th August 2022, 09:34   #3055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
For shorter day to day fasts like 16:8 or 18:6, there is no specific guideline to break the fast. For long fasts that last more than two days, it is always recommended to break the fast with a low-carb meal to avoid insulin shock to the body.
Even for regular fasting I think its a good protocol to always break fast with proteins and then take in carbs/fats after 30min-1 Hr. Usually avoid taking both carb and fat together. Not that easy but can be tried.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:12   #3056
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even for regular fasting I think its a good protocol to always break fast with proteins and then take in carbs/fats after 30min-1 Hr. Usually avoid taking both carb and fat together. Not that easy but can be tried.
Totally Agree. Low carb any day to break fast compared to carbs. But relatively, there may not be any big harm with insulin spikes with shorter fasts.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 17:38   #3057
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any Gyan on Lipids relevant for this thread ? Looking for some benchmarks since Labs these days use so many different reference ranges

What are the recommendations/ranges for:
  1. Total cholesterol
  2. HDL
  3. LDL
  4. VLDL
  5. Triglycerides
  6. Cardiac Risk Factor = Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio - is this really a good indicator ?

*Watched a video of Ben Bikman where he mentioned that if Ratio of fasting Triglycerides/HDL is < 1.5, it indicates good insulin sensitivity (and anything more indicates insulin resistance). This could be different for people of different races/ethnicity as well! So what is the target value for us Asians/Indians ?

Last edited by NPV : 9th August 2022 at 17:45.
Old 9th August 2022, 19:12   #3058
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
*Watched a video of Ben Bikman where he mentioned that if Ratio of fasting Triglycerides/HDL is < 1.5, it indicates good insulin sensitivity (and anything more indicates insulin resistance). This could be different for people of different races/ethnicity as well! So what is the target value for us Asians/Indians ?
Low Trig and high good cholesterol typically should mean your body is in keto and burning fat. Hence the need to transport fat by cholesterol to muscle.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 21:23   #3059
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Low Trig and high good cholesterol typically should mean your body is in keto and burning fat. Hence the need to transport fat by cholesterol to muscle.
Thanks amp Also saw your earlier post and the linked video of DeLauer here (The Weight Loss Thread). That was insightful.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 10:32   #3060

This was published today, might be helpful here.

More information about the contents of the video:
Explore how intermittent fasting works and what it could mean for your health.

The pros and cons are explained by gastroenterologist and bestselling author Dr. Will Bulsiewicz when he joins “The Weight Loss Champion” Chuck Carroll on The Exam Room LIVE.

Dr. Bulsiewicz will answer questions in the Doctor’s Mailbag:

- Can fasting improve digestion?
- Are there any health risks with fasting?
- Can fasting lower the risk for chronic diseases?
- Will fasting help acid reflux?
- What can you drink during a fast?
- Can fasting reduce gut inflammation?
- Is fasting most effective when eating a plant-based diet?
niteshm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks