Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2022, 17:54   #3001
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Go easy is the key here.
"Diets" are going to only give short-term results and are usually extreme in some way, so obviously they aren't good for the body. Over time, if one follows diets, there will be a frequent seesaw on and off the diet and when off, people tend to go to another extreme in terms of what they eat and drink. Seems to have been a pattern even with Warne.

Fasting on the other hand is a great way to keep insulin in check and has numerous other benefits when followed as a lifestyle (at the same time if one switches to a low carb, healthy, balanced diet with nutrient dense foods as a lifestyle) the benefits and results (weight loss and maintenance) are good and sustainable in the long run. So the key thing is Diets are temporary and detrimental in the longer term whereas IF can be a lifestyle and good for the body when combined with low carb, nutrient dense food also as a lifestyle in the longer term.

Last edited by NPV : 27th March 2022 at 17:57.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 16:39   #3002
BHPian

Update on weight loss. In my first post had shared that during lockdown 2020 i brought my weight from 118 kgs to 95 kgs without exercise.

Gained all back with my wife joining me. But i needed to crack the secret code of what did i do and was the same fluke or real

Tried again and this time again am loosing weight. Not checked yet but my trousers are 2.5 inch down so i guess am on right track

Secret to loosing weight easily without exercise and weakness

a) Intermittent Fasting - I eat once between 9.10 am to 9.30 am. Cook myself normally its either chicken and veg / fish and veg / Upma with lots of peanuts soaked overnight, veg and lemon squeezed.

b) 2nd meal at 2 pm afternoon. Again heavy lunch whatever is available in office canteen - chicken biryani or rice dal and vegs.

Stopped having tea and anything else. Surprisingly after 2 days i feel very full. There is no craving as i have sizeable quantities there is no weighting of food involved here. Eat as much as you want.

See weight tumbling down after 1 month. There is no health issues as the diet is not focused on only Protein or Carbs. Afternoon is big time carb and morning is big time proteins.

Check out and let me know.
dipak1406 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 22:33   #3003
Senior - BHPian

Funny but a shocking incident! I check my weight everyday in the morning and I have been literally doing so for many years now. I have had the habit of putting on weight quickly, so much so that I have gone from 72-75 to 82-84 more than 6-7 times the last 10 years. Anyway, long story short, I have been following IF and my weight has been steady at around 74kgs for the last 1 year. But all of a sudden the weighing machine start showing 76.7kgs from 2 days ago! I’m unable to comprehend whether it’s the weighing machine or my if it’s my body! I just checked my weight the day before and I was 74.5! I have had this weighing machine for 6-7 years now, so not sure if something is wrong with the machine cause there is no way I can suddenly become 2kgs heavier overnight! Contemplating on buying another weighing machine, but not really sure. I’m thinking I will check my weight elsewhere first and then take a call.
Old 5th April 2022, 07:41   #3004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
But all of a sudden the weighing machine start showing 76.7kgs from 2 days ago! I’m unable to comprehend whether it’s the weighing machine or my if it’s my body! I just checked my weight the day before and I was 74.5!
Has it been showing 76.x kilos consistently the past two days?

If it has been consistently showing 76.x kilos for a few days with a 2+ kilo increase in just a day, then it may be the weighing scale. This can happen if the battery has become low.

If it showed 76.x for one or two days and is back to 74.x, then it could be just water retention and/or food/waste in the digestive system etc. Body weight can fluctuate by 2 kilos day to day on these factors. That is why if weighing everyday, it has to be done under constant conditions.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 09:17   #3005
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My kid brother lost 12 - 13 kilos since Jan following the advice on this thread. He's planning another 2 kg by April end and then, maintaining 75 kilos.

- Intermittent fasting (no breakfast).

- Drastically reduced carb intake. Not zero like Keto, but 95% out. No sugar, no rice, no roti, no bread.

- Working out 5 days a week.

- Almost zero alcohol (something he isn't keen on anyway).

- Cheat meal once in 2 weeks for now. Will cheat once a week after he hits the target weight.

This is at 90 kilos:
The Weight Loss Thread-img_0376.jpg

The Weight Loss Thread-whatsapp-image-20220404-12.09.27-pm.jpeg

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 457
Size:  465.7 KB

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2022 at 08:43. Reason: Replacement image
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 12:13   #3006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Has it been showing 76.x kilos consistently the past two days?

If it has been consistently showing 76.x kilos for a few days with a 2+ kilo increase in just a day, then it may be the weighing scale. This can happen if the battery has become low.

If it showed 76.x for one or two days and is back to 74.x, then it could be just water retention and/or food/waste in the digestive system etc. Body weight can fluctuate by 2 kilos day to day on these factors. That is why if weighing everyday, it has to be done under constant conditions.

Hi Graaja, yes the weighing machine started showing 1.5 - 2kgs excess within a day and it continue to show a higher figure until today. Since my wife and son don’t check their weight regularly, I’m not sure if their current weight is inflated like mine or if it’s not. I will change the battery today and see the results. Secondly, I stuck 4 rubber levellers on the four corners long time ago, but I never had any issues post that. I did this because the default rubber spots on the corners had started to wear out.

Else I just buy a new machine, since I have had this one for more than 7 years now.

The other possibility is that I have simply put on weight and rather than accepting the reality I’m trying to find fault with the machine ! But the point is, 1.5-2kgs should not have gone up just in a day!
Old 5th April 2022, 12:20   #3007
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
But the point is, 1.5-2kgs should not have gone up just in a day!
Yes. It is not possible to put on 1.5 to 2kg of weight (in fat) in just a day. So it could be just the weight scale or water weight.
Old 14th April 2022, 13:36   #3008
Team-BHP Support

Many nutritionist / lifestyle coaches / dieticians are suggesting to avoid seed oil. Our mustard oil should be a seed oil too, no?

What is the science behind this?
Old 20th April 2022, 09:51   #3009
Senior - BHPian

Losing weight, shedding fat and looking good seems to be a task that has frustrated the majority.

Why else would The Asian Age (Delhi edition, Dt: 20/04/2022) carry the following piece on its editorial pages?
Attached Thumbnails
The Weight Loss Thread-5763667354d845b3aba5960bfe8ec240.jpeg  

Old 20th April 2022, 09:56   #3010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Losing weight, shedding fat and looking good seems to be a task that has frustrated the majority.
As long as people look at it as going into a weight-loss and then come back what they were up to earlier it wont work.

Like we discussed on the other thread, its more about health and 'functional' fitness rather than a process to bring out 6-pack-abs. The two cant be mixed.
And functional fitness can be easily attained with a paradigm shift in life style.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 10:11   #3011
bht
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As long as people look at it as going into a weight-loss and then come back what they were up to earlier it wont work.

Like we discussed on the other thread, its more about health and 'functional' fitness rather than a process to bring out 6-pack-abs. The two cant be mixed.
And functional fitness can be easily attained with a paradigm shift in life style.
Well said, weight loss and fitness should be the "way of life" or "life style change" for it to sustain, something that we do day in and day out. Ones who take it up as one time activity end up gaining more than they lost in the process.
bht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 10:26   #3012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

Why else would The Asian Age (Delhi edition, Dt: 20/04/2022) carry the following piece on its editorial pages?
To be honest, many people do desire to be more than 6 feet tall, carry lean muscles and have six pack - but quite frankly a more significant majority are quite comfortable being "normal" (that is between 5'5" and 5'10" height, average built with BMI around 20).

The article is meant for the first category, which is NOT in majority.
For most of the guys, achieving BMI of 20 is a reality. It used be a reality a century ago. And is definitely doable again.

There are two factors at play: first is metabolism. Sadly you cannot do much about it. Some people are born to be skinny, and some are born to be fat. However most should be somewhere in middle. (Gaussian distribution curve).
The alarming fact is that the mean of this gaussian distribution is shifting rightwards towards more BMI/weight with passing time.

The most probably cause(s) in modern times with modern diet for this:
1) calorific excess
2) the above caused because your grehlin-leptin balance is actually disbalanced
3) because your body cells have become insulin resistant

This is easily controlled and even corrected. And can be maintained for entire life. As simple as reaching out for cucumber instead of coke when you feel thirsty in Indian summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Many nutritionist / lifestyle coaches / dieticians are suggesting to avoid seed oil. Our mustard oil should be a seed oil too, no?

What is the science behind this?
Every day we come up with something new to scare ourselves. (And usually there is money to be made from all this)

Most "vegetable" sources of oil are in-fact seeds, and are in use for countless centuries without killing people.

Most likely, since olive oil is not from seed, this looks to be an outcome from marketing investments in "studies" with the effect of making the population switch over to olive oil in general.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 11:13   #3013
Senior - BHPian

I reduced my weight from 83 to 76 in 6 weeks by following egg diet. (Height 174 cms)

Activity level is normal.

My target is to hit 73 and maintain it by plus or minus 1.

No more wheat or rice for the time being. But having all curries (veg and non-veg) as usual.

No weakness or energy loss.

Cheers!
Old 20th April 2022, 11:52   #3014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

The most probably cause(s) in modern times with modern diet for this:
1) calorific excess
2) the above caused because your grehlin-leptin balance is actually disbalanced
3) because your body cells have become insulin resistant
I can add one more input from my side which many people overlook.

Hypothyroidism

99% people suffering from Hypothyroidism may casually take T3, T4 and TSH tests respectively. If TSH is high they simply consume 50 to 100 mcg Thyroxine tablets prescribed my most physicians. After a month or so if tested TSH will be normal and will keep consuming Thyroxine for entire life.

But the catch is that the underline issue of Hypothyroidism will never get noticed. For that they need to undergo Thyroid Antibody Test TPO and Tg respectively. And the respective medication will bring back the metabolism to normal. Also people with Hypothyroidism should cut back on gluten intake which is basically found in Wheat (the basic food source of India).
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 10:23   #3015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
T

There are two factors at play: first is metabolism. Sadly you cannot do much about it. Some people are born to be skinny, and some are born to be fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I can add one more input from my side which many people overlook.

Hypothyroidism

99% people suffering from Hypothyroidism may casually take T3, T4 and TSH tests respectively. If TSH is high they simply consume 50 to 100 mcg Thyroxine tablets prescribed my most physicians. After a month or so if tested TSH will be normal and will keep consuming Thyroxine for entire life.

But the catch is that the underline issue of Hypothyroidism will never get noticed. For that they need to undergo Thyroid Antibody Test TPO and Tg respectively. And the respective medication will bring back the metabolism to normal. Also people with Hypothyroidism should cut back on gluten intake which is basically found in Wheat (the basic food source of India).
I did mention about metabolism - which is governed and controlled by thyroid gland and hormones. However, I did not venture into the disorder. Thanks for elaborating on that point.

In my observation, the number of people suffering from hypothyroidism is quite less compared to the number of overweight people.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks