Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2021, 09:47   #2956
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Question about intermittent fasting, I'm finding it's quite possible to do 12-13 hours between dinner the previous night and breakfast. Not sure how to extend it. Try as I might, the earliest I seem to be able to have dinner is 8:30pm. I find I can quite easily go without eating anything in the morning, even before/after the morning run which I've re-started over the past 2 weeks. So the question is, should I just skip breakfast altogether and have an early lunch at 12? Or eat some fruit/egg-whites after the morning run and then lunch? Don't feel any fatigue or energy loss without eating before/after the morning run, yet.

(Thanks in advance for any suggestions.)
Old 21st October 2021, 10:24   #2957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Question about intermittent fasting, I'm finding it's quite possible to do 12-13 hours between dinner the previous night and breakfast. Not sure how to extend it. Try as I might, the earliest I seem to be able to have dinner is 8:30pm. I find I can quite easily go without eating anything in the morning, even before/after the morning run which I've re-started over the past 2 weeks. So the question is, should I just skip breakfast altogether and have an early lunch at 12? Or eat some fruit/egg-whites after the morning run and then lunch? Don't feel any fatigue or energy loss without eating before/after the morning run, yet.

(Thanks in advance for any suggestions.)
How about skipping the dinner? Have a good breakfast and a late lunch.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 12:55   #2958
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I find I can quite easily go without eating anything in the morning, even before/after the morning run which I've re-started over the past 2 weeks. So the question is, should I just skip breakfast altogether and have an early lunch at 12?
Since you're almost there with 13 hour fasts, I would suggest skipping breakfast and having lunch once you get to 16 hours fasting. Once you get accustomed to this routine, you can even go up to 18 hours before lunch.

If this doesn't seem to work for any reason, consider skipping dinner.

*Avoid overdose of fruits. Also, unless your doctor has asked you to, you can have the whole egg, yolk is fat and helps in digesting the white (protein).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 13:01   #2959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Since you're almost there with 13 hour fasts, I would suggest skipping breakfast and having lunch once you get to 16 hours fasting. Once you get accustomed to this routine, you can even go up to 18 hours before lunch.
I tried this approach. What used to happen is I started getting food cravings as the clock neared 12. Sometimes Lunch would be prepared late or would have other office work. This kind of messed me and I started eating junk just before lunch time or breaking the fast early by popping something in the mouth. By skipping dinner, I did not feel the craving since I would be hitting the bed soon. And in the morning , I can have the breakfast at the usual time. If I have lunch before 2.30 PM, 16-17 hour fast is easily achievable
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 13:18   #2960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the question is, should I just skip breakfast altogether and have an early lunch at 12? Or eat some fruit/egg-whites after the morning run and then lunch? Don't feel any fatigue or energy loss without eating before/after the morning run, yet.
If you feel hungry and want to eat, have something light, if not, try to skip and have some lemon / apple cider water, maybe a bowl of almonds / pistas or egg-whites or something similar if hungry, else, try with luke warm water.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 14:09   #2961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How about skipping the dinner? Have a good breakfast and a late lunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I tried this approach. What used to happen is I started getting food cravings as the clock neared 12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If you feel hungry and want to eat, have something light, if not, try to skip...
Thanks for all the responses. I think skipping breakfast will be a lot easier since I really don't feel hungry in the morning. Skipping dinner I think will be a lot harder since I do get hungry at night. The conditioning of years of sleeping late, skipping breakfast and heading to office, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Also, unless your doctor has asked you to, you can have the whole egg, yolk is fat and helps in digesting the white (protein).
Yeah, the doc was particular about avoiding egg yolks after my last health checkup. I feel really bad wasting food this way and wasting the most nutritious part of the egg. I try and collect them and feed them to stray dogs, but that isn't always possible.
Old 21st October 2021, 14:15   #2962
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah, the doc was particular about avoiding egg yolks after my last health checkup.
Frankly, you should avoid the doctor who is still pushing debunked diet ideas like skipping egg yolks.

I have been skipping breakfast for over a year now. I finish dinner by 10pm, and then have lunch at 1:30-2pm. I only have black coffee without sugar in the morning. Once the body gets used to it, there is no hunger pangs at all.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st October 2021 at 14:19.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 14:18   #2963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Frankly, you should avoid the doctor who is still pushing debunked diet ideas like skipping egg yolks.
Has this been debunked for sure? I'll pass on this information to Mrs Eddy who throws away the yolk of 3 out of 5 eggs daily.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 14:20   #2964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wow, frankly, I was a bit doubtful too about some of the things the doc said. But the cholesterol numbers from my last checkup a month ago were really bad. Which is why I started taking these steps, including IF.

Personally I'd be happy to go back to eating whole eggs and cheese. Cutting out chocolates and desserts has been surprisingly easy this past month, don't miss them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Has this been debunked for sure?
Exactly, it's a bit confusing with all the different articles about dairy, eggs and oil/ghee. Anyway I'm looking at it as one long-term experiment. If my numbers improve after three months, will add cheese back to my diet and then see again at the next checkup.

Last edited by am1m : 21st October 2021 at 14:22.
Old 21st October 2021, 14:29   #2965
Team-BHP Support

A study conducted at the University of Connecticut found that the fat present in egg yolks actually helps to reduce the bad cholesterol from the body.

Source
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 14:38   #2966
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, the doc was particular about avoiding egg yolks after my last health checkup.
You may want to search "dr berg cholesterol" on YouTube and watch some of the videos from the results.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 22:22   #2967
Distinguished - BHPian

It's been a while I updated on my weight loss journey. It's been around 3-months since I decided to emabark on this journey.

However, I haven't been true to the IF routine for several weeks due to work or relocation so there has been many weeks didn't follow the routine religiously.

But, Now that I have settled down in the new place. I plan to stick to a routine and continue this journey.

I have just lost 5kgs in the last 3-months due to following

a) Skipped several weeks of IF
b) I am eating roti and rice every day for dinner which is the only meal that I have in entire day
c) During IF window, I drink 2 black coffees and nothing for entire period which is sometimes 18-6 or 16-8
d) Weekends is usually binging time so I binge on my favorite drinks and food which is usually heavy on calories.

Any further recommendations is most welcome.

My current weight is at 109kg and my goal is to hit 90kgs by June 2022.

About a week ago started going to the gym as well, plan is to gym for an hour at least 3-times a week.

This is how I looked a week ago. No, I did not suck in my tummy for this picture

The Weight Loss Thread-img_8574.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 23:42   #2968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Any further recommendations is most welcome.

Attachment 2223292
Don't know your history or medical condition but in general, I'd suggest you try to follow nature's routine as much as you can. That is, wake up around sunrise and have your last meal a little after sunset. Don't eat anything afterwards, apart from warm milk 30 minutes before bed.

This fasting is natural and you're adapting yourself according to nature. Digestive fire is highest when Sun is at its peak and lowest at night. You'd not have to do IF separately.
siddhant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 00:25   #2969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
Don't know your history or medical condition but in general, I'd suggest you try to follow nature's routine as much as you can. That is, wake up around sunrise and have your last meal a little after sunset. Don't eat anything afterwards, apart from warm milk 30 minutes before bed.

This fasting is natural and you're adapting yourself according to nature. Digestive fire is highest when Sun is at its peak and lowest at night. You'd not have to do IF separately.
From several years, I don't have the habit of eating breakfast. For some reason, I never feel hungry until noon irrespective of when I get up. I normally get up around 7:00am as my work starts from 7:30am.

I can go without food (naturally) until 3:00pm so this IF routine of 16:8 was just too easy for me. Hence, I started with 20:8 and then due push in family cut it down to 18:6.

Now I sway between these two IF routines. I think two important things I need to improve :

1) Eat less carbs during the eating window and avoid desserts ( I pop in 1-2 chocolates every night after dinner )

2) Regliously follow my new gym routine which is from 45 mins-60 mins (Elliptical, Side twists with Ball, Treadmill, Some Loose weight routines)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 06:12   #2970
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah, the doc was particular about avoiding egg yolks after my last health checkup. I feel really bad wasting food this way and wasting the most nutritious part of the egg. I try and collect them and feed them to stray dogs, but that isn't always possible.
High cholesterol is not because of fat but actually carbs! I am no doctor so please dont hold me to this!

Typically when you get high cholestrol count people think its all messed up because of fats. A high LDL and low triglycerides is an indicator that you are actually on the fat mode of burning.

See this video :

Last edited by ampere : 25th October 2021 at 06:55.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed