Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 11:04   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Hello Friends,

I believe people have seen my before (90 kgs) & after ( 72 kgs) pictures on page 16.

I basically belong to family of healthy people & we tend to gain weight at faster pace than others.

This is what I am following since last eight years:

Morning:
1. One glass hot water
2. Yoga as suggested by Baba Ramdev
3. Breakfast - glass of milk, Green Grams & Paratha or Khakhara

Lunch:
1. Gujarati (thin) roti's, subzi (in tiffin at office) & Roti, Suzbi, dal & Rice at home.

Evening:
1. Light snacks or fruits, sweet corn

Dinner:
1. Normal gujarati dinner & three days in a week - Dosa, Idli, Toast Sandwich, etc...

Night:
1. Walking for 3 kms (approx 35 minutes), one hour after dinner

I am managing my weight since last 8 years & have never crossed 75 kgs.

The most important precaution I take is I don't Drink Water before one hour of Food intake & Two hours after food intake. Yes. This is true, I drink water after two hour of taking lunch. Over the years this has became habit. Water with fruits is fine.

Also I follow a strict regime of not eating deep fried foods. In one year I only eat 4 / 5 Vada or Samosas. I do not eat kachoris, fried idlis, etc.

I like Pizza & do treat myself at Pizza Hut probably once in a quater. I like sweets & do eat them couple of times in a month.

Anyone of you can ask me specific queries on weight loss & I can help. I am not am expert, but yes I am perfectly managing my weight since last 8 / 10 years.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 11:23   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
I am having chapatis for breakfast and dinner everyday. For lunch am having rice only thrice a week otherwise its sandwiches/chapatis. Saturday is my eat anything day and i have non-veg. Jogging 20-25 mins 5 days a week.
Karthik- limit yourself to 2 chapatis or 1 helping of rice per meal and you should be fine. It's them damn carbohydrates that cause all the mischief! Avoid potatoes and other starchy vegetables: leafy veggies are fine. Dal, curd, salad should be a part of your lunch. Avoid white bread and other refined flour preparations like pizza, burgers. Protein is GOOD so do include paneer, cheese, meat, fish in your meal. Have them grilled or steamed, not fried or in rich gravy. In fact a simple rule I follow is to reverse the normal patterof more carbs/less protein. Meaning instead of 4 chapatis + chicken gravy, I eat 2 pieces of grilled chicken and maybe one chapati or a little rice.

Also, eat a little at 2 hour or so intervals. That tricks the body into feeling full and maintains a constant sugar level and prevents feeling ravenous and bingeing as a result. Work with a dietician to come up with a personalised plan. Generally, 2000 cals/day with a decent workout plan (cardio + some weight training for maintaining body form) should do wonders for weight management (from personal experience).

I am also a firm believe that you need to indulge yourself on occasion because your body deserves it. So a cheat meal every weekend is something you should treat yourself to. So long as you maintain your regimen fairly strictly the rest of the time, this will not affect your weight much and in fact the emotional and possibly even physical benefits of this will be immense. I read yesterday that a cheat meal a week boosts your metabolism and can in fact boost weight loss. I am personally not an anti-fat fanatic either: it doesn't mean I use dollops of butter on my dosa or indulge in fried foods; just that I eat whatever normal oil/fat is used in cooking and don't sweat the fact that meat contains fat etc. In the long run, those unburned carbohydrates that get converted to fat and stored in your body are more harmful. SO focus on eliminating THOSe from your diet.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 12:28   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
I believe people have seen my before (90 kgs) & after ( 72 kgs) pictures on page 16.

2. Yoga as suggested by Baba Ramdev

1. Walking for 3 kms (approx 35 minutes), one hour after dinner

I am managing my weight since last 8 years & have never crossed 75 kgs.

The most important precaution I take is I don't Drink Water before one hour of Food intake & Two hours after food intake.
What was the fitness plan you followed to reduce from 90 to 72 kgs ? Was it a combination of Yoga, walking and diet control (as you mentioned above), or anything else ?

Could you please elaborate what kind of yoga (pranayams or aasans) is useful for weight loss ? Baba Ramdev claims that Kapaal Bhaati is great for weight loss, does it really work ?

What is the reason behind not having water immediately before and after food ? How do you manage to remain without water for 3 hours ?

Rohan
Old 31st January 2012, 12:48   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
What was the fitness plan you followed to reduce from 90 to 72 kgs ? Was it a combination of Yoga, walking and diet control (as you mentioned above), or anything else ?

Could you please elaborate what kind of yoga (pranayams or aasans) is useful for weight loss ? Baba Ramdev claims that Kapaal Bhaati is great for weight loss, does it really work ?

What is the reason behind not having water immediately before and after food ? How do you manage to remain without water for 3 hours ?

Rohan
Hello Rohan,

Yes the fitness plan was combination of Yoga + Walking + Diet Control & nothing else.

Yoga - Starting with Deep Breathing for 7 / 8 minutes, followed by Kapaal Bhaati for 10 / 11 minutes. Yes I can certify that Kapaal Bhaati works. Followed with Anulom Vilom & other small asanas Baba Ramdev suggested.

You would have seen my before & after photos & I can gaurantee that I have never taken any weight loss medicines. Only Ayurveda medicines I take regularly is Kumari Asav (for general health) & Mahamanjisthadi Khada (for Blood purification). This is because I had history of skin problems.

Food & Water: Well I belong to Jain community & one of our priests once told me this that Food & Water dont mix well in stomach (specially for people people who want to lose weight). He suggested me not to have water before & after lunch. Yes. I am now used to remaining with water for three hours.

Also I take specific care to see that I dont mix foods (like Milk & curd, Lunch & Fruits, etc). You can log on to www.allayurveda.com for details of cross foods.

There are many samll things that I observe like I don't eat anything after eating Fruits for 1.5 / 2 hours. I make sure have to have 2 fruits everyday.

I also drink hot lemon water with honey whenever I have a very heavy lunch / dinner.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 31st January 2012 at 12:52. Reason: additional information added
Jignesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 13:58   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Karthik- limit yourself to 2 chapatis or 1 helping of rice per meal and you should be fine. It's them damn carbohydrates that cause all the mischief! Avoid potatoes and other starchy vegetables: leafy veggies are fine. Dal, curd, salad should be a part of your lunch. Avoid white bread and other refined flour preparations like pizza, burgers. Protein is GOOD so do include paneer, cheese, meat, fish in your meal. Have them grilled or steamed, not fried or in rich gravy. In fact a simple rule I follow is to reverse the normal patterof more carbs/less protein. Meaning instead of 4 chapatis + chicken gravy, I eat 2 pieces of grilled chicken and maybe one chapati or a little rice.
That was really helpful. Thanks noopter.
I have been on a diet for over 3 weeks now. To start off i was able to hold myself back from bingeing on anything and everything. But in the last one week or so it has got really very hard. I am having this massive urge to get back to old ways . More so because i am the only one who is dieting while the others around me aren't. I am wondering how you guys went about this ?
Getting back, i would like to know how much of meat is fine while one is dieting. Like would it be better to have it everyday(in small quantities) or only weekends.

Lastly, has anyone faced hairloss ? I feel i am losing more hair than normal ever since i have been on a diet.
Old 31st January 2012, 17:13   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am following above. I try to go to gym atleast 4 times a week for an hour and havent drastically changed my eating habits which includes most of above you listed.

I have kept a target of coming to my ideal weight of 88kgs by Dec-2012 and I am just a little above 100kgs now.
I am on the same path as you. I am over 100 right now, and want to reduce it to 100 by March, by hook or by crook

I am following the following regime for my food habits: Heavy breakfast, fruits for lunch, 2 sukha rotis+veggies for dinner, no in-between meals (maybe 4 or 5 biscuits). I treat myself to good delicacies in the weekend. But NO exercise at all, as I honestly dont find time to do it. My weight came down by 2 kgs, but it remains stagnant there. So, I guess, exercise maybe the missing link.

So can you tell me, what exercise do you do?

Also, how can I know my dry weight and the percentage of fats in my body?

Last edited by _raVan_ : 31st January 2012 at 17:18.
Old 31st January 2012, 17:52   #247
BHPian

just to add few cents here as I happen to loose 23 KG's in 4 months a decade back and right now past 5 kg's on my way to reduce 8kg's.
I would never suggest the prior weight loss regime as it included heavy exercise ( 100 lengths of 25M swimming pool, 2 KM Jog, crash dieting) however with the current professional life, such torture is never advised.

Carbs definitely add to weight but not as much as Sweets or Deep Fried do so as a comparison I would recommend to eat an additional bowl of rice and 2 more chapatis if you can stop eating that piece of sweet or deep fried food.
The perfect analogy to weight loss is bank account, more the deposit, less the withdrawal, net effect is always GAIN and vice-a versa.
The single most important activity in reducing weight loss is exercise (swimming, cycling, jogging or even brisk walking) for 30 mins. It not only prevents weight gain but also avoids occurance of BP, Cholesterol, Triglycerides, Blood Sugar. Dieting without exercise is like tyres without air... cannot sustain for long.
Indulge in occasional "binge eating" however do keep a check on calorie content e.g. Calories in 3 pieces of Gulab Jamoon are equivalent to 20 fulka chapatis or 4 days of brisk walk @ 30 mins. Do you really want to undo all the hard work done in 1 week ???? Verdict is clear
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:21   #248
BHPian

Do protein shakes like 'B protein and Proteinx' help in weight loss ? I am little confused because they are used for weight gain as well.

PS: They are nutrition drinks like Boost and Complan but high on Protein content.
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:37   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
Do protein shakes like 'B protein and Proteinx' help in weight loss ? I am little confused because they are used for weight gain as well.

PS: They are nutrition drinks like Boost and Complan but high on Protein content.
Hello Rahul,

Why do you need Protein shakes? Are you into Body Building?

Best source of Protein would be Soya Bean (if you are Veg) & many non-veg foods.

As far as Boost & Complan are concerned, they are nothing but extra dose of carbohydrates. They are not at all required. It is just a marketing gimmick that Boost, Bornvita & Complan promote growth in Children & give vital nutrients.

Have a balanced & you will not need any suppliments (either for weight gain or weight los).

Thanks,
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:51   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Rahul,

Why do you need Protein shakes? Are you into Body Building?
No i am not into body building. I have often read that one must go on a high protein diet for weight loss. So my question is would these protein shakes help too ?
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:29   #251
Senior - BHPian

With India's new found prosperity obesity is assuming epidemic proportions. I don't see many youth today, I see 25 year old's having the disposition of CEO's: Balding, slow and overweight. Without adhering to a strict diet all weight loss schemes will fail. With today's busy life the allocation must be 65% to diet and 35% to exercise. The first thing that will egg you on is not your medical reports but what you see in the mirror, it raises your self esteem and makes you 'feel good', thats most important. Next go for a Master Health check up to see if everything is OK; nowadays age is no bar and there are youth that fall prey to old ages diseases like Diabetes and Heart problems. That's been my fitness mantra since 2007 and I feel good for all the 'sacrifices' I have made and feel 'guilty' when ever I over eat. My BMI is 21.6, it feels good and much better than weighing 95-100 kgs and going around in 745Li. This is also having an effect on my kids and they have started loving fruits and salads, prior, I used to fight with my kids for that extra bit of chocolate, now they fight with me to the extra serving of fruits and salads. dieting is expensive: Nuts/Fruits/Salads are at an all time high; look at it this way it's way cheaper that getting a CABG done and suffer with irreparable damage for the rest of your life, with the most precious piece of equipment you have: YOUR BODY. So be good to your body and your body shall serve you well. HAPPY WEGHT LOOSING.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:44   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
No i am not into body building. I have often read that one must go on a high protein diet for weight loss. So my question is would these protein shakes help too ?
Hello Rahul,

I dont believe Protein Shakes helps in Weight Loss. Infact drinks like Bornvita & Complan will help in weight gain (because they contain lot of Carbohydrates).

But I would suggest to replace the morning Tea with Milk, because every cup or Tea / coffee means additional 2 / 4 teaspoons of Sugar in your body which will definitely add to weight gain.

Just try to control sugar & oils in your diet & you will see visible difference in your weight in 2 months.

Thanks,
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:27   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Good post, Durango dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
My BMI is 21.6, it feels good and much better than weighing 95-100 kgs and going around in 745Li.
Wow, that is fantastic. As of this morning my BMI just slipped under 30, taking me from obese to overweight I have a LONG way to go before getting to around 25 and an even more difficult task just STAYING there!

What you've said is spot-on: we don't take enough care of our bodies in our 20s and pay the price in the subsequent decades. Thankfully, our bodies are nothing if not resilient: damage gets undone pretty fast providing your make some drastic adjustments to your lifestyle. A regimen of some brisk cardio alternating with strength/weight training coupled with sensible eating habits is something that everybody should strive to cultivate. Better late than never!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:02   #254
BANNED

Quote:

But I would suggest to replace the morning Tea with Milk, because every cup or Tea / coffee means additional 2 / 4 teaspoons of Sugar in your body which will definitely add to weight gain.
Or use Sacharin or Aspartame or Sucralose.

I use Sweetex tablets (Sacharin) or Abott Sacharin tablets.
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:23   #255
BHPian

Planning to get a Merida 20V hybrid for cycling.
Jogging on tarmac is a nightmare.

Planning this to mix up with extreme swimming freestyle sessions on weekends.
Hope this works for me.

Any suggestions/advice?
I weigh 92 Kgs and I feel like a hippo :-(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks