Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 18:28   #2416
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover View Post
Just being patient and regular with my workouts helped me achieve this along with maintaining a good healthy and sustainable diet .

i am targeting for a weight of less than 80 kg. will post when and if i get there.
Congratulations! Super proud of you for having achieved this, and I'm sure you'll get to your goal very soon.

: but I've started becoming a regular visitor to this thread now. I've gone from being moderately fit and walking 5kms daily at 72kgs in September 2018 to being extremely lazy and lying around all day at 85kgs now in September 2019. Not much change physically apart from a larger belly, but I've been feeling extremely lethargic and any sudden physical movement leads to discomfort. Looks like I'll have to start getting fit pretty soon, and posts like yours motivate me. Thanks!
Old 18th September 2019, 19:54   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Just being patient and regular with my workouts helped me achieve this along with maintaining a good healthy and sustainable diet .
That's crazy transformers bmw_lover. Congratulations You should pen more details about routines and food habits. This will definitely inspire many of us to keep pushing.
Old 18th September 2019, 21:08   #2418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The way I understand, both LCHF and IF push your body into ketosis. Once adapted, fat becomes a more stable fuel for endurance based sport. And hence I presume once trained, it should definitely help you guys truly in the "long run".
Very true. Apart from a little glycogen stored in muscle cells, liver is the only organ that can store glycogen and that would be just 100 to 120 grams. Which is about 480 calories max. However, if an athlete weighing 75kg has even 8% body fat, that would be 6kg of fat, which is about 46000 calories of energy. This is practically an endless supply of energy if we learn to tap this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Exactly! From what I've read using fat as fuel is good only when you are thinking of running long-slow miles. Anything higher intensity would be a pain. So I don't think LCHF or Keto would help anyone run fast.
Yes. Fat is the primary fuel only if you are running in the endurance zone. The goal of training should be to increase your threshold pace high enough such that your endurance pace is fast enough. The biggest mistake most amateur athletes make is not to focus on increasing the threshold pace, but try to run the full race at threshold pace. I have been reading the "What the Fat..." book recommended by Axe77, and the information is just amazing. If you want to increase your pace in the endurance zone, stop training in threshold zone, but train in VO2Max zone for shorter intervals, but keep your long workouts strictly in endurance zone. Once I recover from my heel injury and start running, I am going to focus in this method.

I will connect with you and Axe77 by PM, and we could maybe create a WhatsApp group and exchange ideas and experiences on LCHF in endurance training.

Quote:
Just wanted to add my transformation as well over a period of around 7 months

old pic is - 1.1.2019 - 111 kg
new pic is - 25.8.19 - 88 kg
This is a fantastic transformation! Hats off to your hard work to achieve this. Please do share your diet and exercise routines so that others will be benefited.
Old 19th September 2019, 08:00   #2419
Senior - BHPian

Guys thanks for the book suggestion. I have downloaded Kindle version and will be reading it soon.

Have been combining IF with my version of low carb for some days now.
I have been shedding around 1 Kg every week for past 2-3 weeks.

My plan is as below.

5 days a week IF.

2-3 days IF is 16:8
remaining 3-2 days is 20:4

One of the weekends i have late breakfast. Unless I give in to my desire to eat Idli, this will most often be my own version of Bullet proof coffee.

Ingredients -

1 Avocado, 1-2 tablespoons of Unsalted butter, 1 table spoon of Coconut oil and coffee decoction.

On the days I observe 16:8 IF, i eat 1 chapathi, Chicken, one egg and a piece of fish for lunch around 12:30-13:00 hrs.

Dinner is almost always a meat (Chicken/Mutton/Beef/Pork) or fish cooked in either coconut oil or with lots of butter/cheese or coconut gravy (in case of fish).

This is accompanied by some greens like spinach, brocolli, lettuce, bhindi etc. Some times I just add in a fruit as well (Rambutans/ logans/ Kiwi/ strawberry etc).

I have the odd cheat day when I eat some carbs at night (like yesterday when I ate some Kaju katlis brought by my friend from India).

I feel my body has adapted to the IF routine. I dont feel hungry til around 3-4 in the evening except on days after my cheat dinner. I think that is the fall out of the Insulin High I get after introducing high carbs suddenly.

Actually I have read somewhere that people on LCHF when they have cheat days, they end up having a higher Insulin High than normal people. Not sure how correct this is.

I weighed in 77.8 Kgs today. My lowest weight in over 15 years was last year November when I was also training to run the 10 K at Pune international Marathon. I hit 76.3 then. That was only through LCHF.

But I sustained an injury on my feet and had to let go running for 4-5 months. I also slackened during this time as I moved to Singapore and weight bounced back to 84 till around mid of August this year when I again decided to do something about it. Next up is a meeting with a Podiatric to get my feet analysed and try to figure out the issue behind the injury. Then I plan to run 10 KM again end of the year in Singapore.

I am hoping that with this episode of weight loss I will be able to hit my target of 72 Kgs within this year.

To imagine that I experimented with LCHF first couple of years ago (again inspired by this thread) with a weight above 93, BP medication, Statins and a fitness level that did not let me walk for more than 400 meters let alone run- I think I have come a long way. Being able to run 10 Kms last year was a big achievement. I hoped to run a half marathon this year but my injury put me back.

However one thing is sure- the days of 93Kgs are never coming back.

Last edited by vibbs : 19th September 2019 at 08:08.
Old 19th September 2019, 21:08   #2420
Distinguished - BHPian

Last 2 months progress. Weight lost : 6 kg
Total weight lost in 303 days : 44 kg

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20190919_190652_715.jpg

I started IF on 3rd September , totalling 16 days, where I have lost 2 kg.

I started with 16:8, then to 17:7, to 18:6 and now comfortably settled at 20:4 for the last couple of days

The rate of fatloss is same in both 6 meals a day clean eating vs IF. But the catch is, I can have large fulfilling meals in IF, and I have reduced evening cardio(1 hour) as IF already brings a 1200-1500 calorie deficit. Moreover I have stopped morning lifting sessions for better recovery and sleep a lot earlier now. My once 5 hour sleep a night has improved to 7 now. Currently in 20:4 , I do 70 minutes cardio in morning and a 1 hour lifting session in the evening.

It becomes hard to even complete 1500 calories in a 20:4

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th September 2019 at 21:11.
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:30   #2421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Wake up call for a sedentary IT guy! Requesting advice on lifestyle change

Physical stats:
Height - 5.7"
Weight - ~80 kg
Waist - ~38"
Update: Week 2

Marking completion of 2nd week of IF. Weight is down from 80.15 kg to 76.45 kg in 2 weeks.

The Weight Loss Thread-22sep2019_eow-2.jpeg

During the start of the this week, I noticed this for 2-3 days that I felt a bit tired and sleepy around 2pm after having lunch at ~ 12:30pm (my first meal of the day). As the week progressed, this didn't happen anymore and I felt fine.

Slowly moving towards LCHF diet. Have started having dinner without any roti, just eggs/paneer/chicken with vegetables. Started cooking with ghee/butter. Lunch still has 1 roti on most days. Absolutely no sugar or sugary foods/drinks in the last 2 weeks.

Increased mild cardio exercise from 5 mins/day last week to 10-15 mins/day this week.

I can feel my energy levels really improving! Sleeping has improved. Earlier I used to sleep at around 11:30pm - 12:30am and wake up at 7:30am, still be sleepy finally leaving bed at 8am. Now I fall asleep by 10-10:30pm and wake up without alarm by 5:30-6am immediately leaving the bed! And all this is not forced, I do feel increased energy levels and not lethargic like earlier. Even my regular walking pace has increased, my wife complaining that I am walking too fast!

Completed reading Gary Taubes' "Why we get fat". Was really an eye opener for me! Also went through different articles and YouTube videos on IF, LCHF and read regarding effect of carbohydrates and insulin on body fat and weight. The result of this on a sweet tooth like me, is that whenever I see any sugary or refined carb food, my mind immediately thinks about the blood sugar and insulin spike I'll get if I eat them! Had gone to Big Bazaar yesterday, the rows upon rows of soft drinks, chocolates, ice creams, biscuits, cookies, noodles, pasta, bread etc felt like a horror house! So the sweet tooth is now mortally afraid of sweets!

The best part is that earlier whenever I had those short bouts of josh to lose weight, I would maybe change hardly 5-10% of my diet and significantly raise my exercise levels. I would put certain dietary restrictions on myself out of compulsion. But even after all this, I would hardly lose 1-2 kg in 2-3 months by which time I would've fallen off the exercise regime and then inevitably move back to my old diet.

This time, it's a radical shift in diet and only mild exercise which is giving me results I haven't seen in last 10 years! I am voluntarily giving up the sugar, junk food and carbs because I've lost my appetite for them and positively afraid of them. So it's not a question of resistance and will power anymore!

Yesterday's lunch was pan fried fish with onion, tomatoes and capsicum, pan fried fish eggs, and Malabar spinach prepared with broken fish head.

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20190921_12382101.jpeg
Old 23rd September 2019, 09:36   #2422
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For the sugar-free & Keto / LCHF fans - https://www.theketoculture.com/

Yummy chocolates! Had the peanut butter one and couldn't stop.
Old 27th September 2019, 11:17   #2423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For the sugar-free & Keto / LCHF fans - https://www.theketoculture.com/

Yummy chocolates! Had the peanut butter one and couldn't stop.
I recently got 4 different flavors of these from Amazon, Peanut Butter was not one of them. Loved the Hazelnut and Cranberry. Will buy these again.

Is Matcha Green Tea allowed in the 16hr Fasting Period in IF? Obviously without Milk.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th September 2019 at 15:35. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
Old 28th September 2019, 09:14   #2424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Is Matcha Green Tea allowed in the 16hr Fasting Period in IF? Obviously without Milk.
Tea and coffee without milk and sugar are usually allowed during fasting period. Should be fine.
Old 29th September 2019, 08:08   #2425
BHPian

Quote:
Wake up call for a sedentary IT guy! Requesting advice on lifestyle change

Physical stats:
Height - 5.7"
Weight - ~80 kg
Waist - ~38"
Update: Week 3

Marking completion of 3rd week of IF. Weight is down from 80.15 kg to 75.20 kg and waist is down from 38" to 35" in 3 weeks.

The Weight Loss Thread-29sep2019_eow-3.jpeg

People who are seeing me after a while, have started noticing the difference. Even my wife commented that my tummy looks noticeably less protruding than before.

Formal pants feel loose and I am having to tighten the belt more. Today morning I pulled out some older but almost new T-shirts from my cupboard. Those were bought few years back at the time when I was rapidly gaining weight, so was able to wear them only few times. And the absolute joy that I am able to fit into them again! Recovered 4 almost new T-shirts that way and will add them to my regular wear again!

Diet wise I am still not strictly LCHF, although number of roti is down from 2 everyday during first two weeks to now 2-3 rotis in a week. Most of my twice-a-day meals are just vegetables with paneer/eggs/chicken/fish.

Increased exercise a bit by incorporating squats, push-ups and planks to existing cardio. I am hoping that increase in exercise might prevent me from hitting the plateau.

Sharing few videos that I watched recently -

Old 29th September 2019, 09:39   #2426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Marking completion of 3rd week of IF. Weight is down from 80.15 kg to 75.20 kg and waist is down from 38" to 35" in 3 weeks.
Over the last 3 weeks I have managed to lose 4 kgs. Primarily been doing IF + Almost LCHF + 45-60 min of high intensity cardio almost everyday. IF is 4 days a week of 18:6 or 20:4, ensure that my carb intake on most days doesn't cross 30%.

Dr Jason Fung and Thomas DeLauer have become my daily dose of inspiration and information. 80s & 90s rock is sweet music for high intensity workout. Much better mindspace now and hope to carry this momentum through the festival season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
But my mind was craving food
I know exactly what you are talking about. Completed my first 36 hour fast last week and it was challenging to put it lightly. In-between, I managed to squeeze in 2 cardio session and after each session, the urge to eat was hard to control. With great difficulty managed to control the urge and continue fasting. Feels good now - next target is 48 hours

Q: What food do you consume to break fast after extended fasting? Most content online talks about bone broths etc. Whats the south indian vegetarian equivalent?
Old 29th September 2019, 10:03   #2427
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Q: What food do you consume to break fast after extended fasting? Most content online talks about bone broths etc. Whats the south indian vegetarian equivalent?
Try some Whey Protein with Water? Thats the closest we can get to I guess? You can order them via healthkart/amazon etc. You get them in many flavours too.

But the big question, which you will need to answer yourself some time: Is what you are doing sustainable on a daily basis? If the answer is yes, then you are good to go!

Last edited by ampere : 29th September 2019 at 10:08.
Old 29th September 2019, 11:04   #2428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Try some Whey Protein with Water? Thats the closest we can get to I guess? You can order them via healthkart/amazon etc. You get them in many flavours too.
have been toying with this idea but have not taken the next step because I want to try and find a natural option before I take the whey protein route.

Quote:
But the big question, which you will need to answer yourself some time: Is what you are doing sustainable on a daily basis?
Right now I'm in the experimentation phase and want to try different options before I fix on a sustainable path. The weight I have put on is not going to melt away in a couple of months, hence I am in it for the long haul. I enjoy good food hence I dont want to completely starve myself off it. Hence finding a balance between food, fasting & exercise is going to be the focus over the next few weeks.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:28   #2429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is fantastic progress. Please continue the effort and you should hit your goal weight soon. Also, once you practice IF and low carb for 2 months, it will become a habit and you will be free from cravings.

Thank you for sharing the videos. Very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Over the last 3 weeks I have managed to lose 4 kgs. Primarily been doing IF + Almost LCHF + 45-60 min of high intensity cardio almost everyday. IF is 4 days a week of 18:6 or 20:4, ensure that my carb intake on most days doesn't cross 30%.
Thank you for sharing your success with IF + LCHF. Hope you are able to make this a lifestyle and enjoy health and fitness for life.
Old 30th September 2019, 09:53   #2430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is fantastic progress.
Thanks to you sir, for pushing me in the right direction and being a constant source of guidance on this thread!

Although I am not really sure if I've hit plateau, but my weight has been hovering around 75.1 - 75.3 kg in the last 3-4 days. Since I've started weight training from last week, not sure if it's because of that. Or maybe actual plateau. Any advice on that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks