Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 05:47   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Just the kind of thread i was searching for. Started my weight reduction about two years ago (Not that i needed). Following was the diet

- Once a month Pizza (Maybe less)
- No drinking (maybe once in six months)
- No Smoking at all
- No Chocolates
- No non-veg
- Fruits + normal home cooked food (in less oil) 3 times a day
- Tea two times a day (Both home made), with sugar
- No Coffee/No Tea in office

Exercise plan
- Run 4 Kms a day (In 30 mins)
- Run 8 Kms (on weekends)

After about 4-6 months no noticeable change in my weight, so consulted a doctor/dietician when on my annual health checkup. She recommended forget about weight reduction.

Since then i have stopped running and started playing badminton everyday morning's and continued with the same diet. The belly has gone in (Which was not going in earlier when i was running), The side tyres have disappeared (which were not going even after excessive running earlier).
Old 8th January 2012, 06:23   #227
BHPian

If it helps anyone:

I have gotten a lot of people thin following the regular bodybuilding cutting principles. Always works. Latest to receive help was my dad - he is 63, went from 5'11'', 98 Kgs in June to 71 Kgs in end December (little over 6 months). The principle involved is simple - dieting (eating deficit calories) sets your body into catabolism. It looks for sources of energy within the body (fat+muscle). However, if you are training your muscles, and eating enough protein - your body would start attacking stored fat cells for extra energy. Bodybuilders have used this principle since at least the 70s.

There are three basic rules:
(1) Work out with weights 3 times a week (helps you retain muscle)
(2) Eat 1 gm of protein per pound of body weight (helps you retain muscle)
(3) Maintain a deficit of calories between 500-1200.
This should help you lose 0.5 to 1 Kg, of almost pure fat, per week.

You would need to follow (1) and (2) - or else you would go from "fat" to "skinny-fat".

For more information, read the thread here

Do cardio if you have heart issues, or want to have a healthy heart. Cardio solely for fat loss is quite inefficient. Remember, fat loss = 80% diet, 20% exercise.

Last edited by e1t1bet : 8th January 2012 at 06:27.
Old 8th January 2012, 06:37   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Just the kind of thread i was searching for. Started my weight reduction about two years ago (Not that i needed). Following was the diet

- Once a month Pizza (Maybe less)
- No drinking (maybe once in six months)
- No Smoking at all
- No Chocolates
- No non-veg
- Fruits + normal home cooked food (in less oil) 3 times a day
- Tea two times a day (Both home made), with sugar
- No Coffee/No Tea in office

Exercise plan
- Run 4 Kms a day (In 30 mins)
- Run 8 Kms (on weekends)

After about 4-6 months no noticeable change in my weight, so consulted a doctor/dietician when on my annual health checkup. She recommended forget about weight reduction.

Since then i have stopped running and started playing badminton everyday morning's and continued with the same diet. The belly has gone in (Which was not going in earlier when i was running), The side tyres have disappeared (which were not going even after excessive running earlier).
You are unlikely to see any substantial or quick changes from running, or even badminton.

(1) Diet: What's important is to know how many net calories you are eating. Aim at eating 2000 calories or less. Most men would lose fat below 2000 calories.
(2) One of the worst things you can do is stop non-veg to cut fat. Meats have a very high protein to calorie ratio. Being able to lose fat (and not muscle) is a lot more difficult on a veg diet, than on a non-veg diet. When you are dieting, you would want your diet to comprise of mostly meat and fresh veggies/fruits.
(3) Avoid processed carbs. White/brown rice, whole grain wheat, oats etc are good. White bread, sugar etc are almost poisonous. You can even try carb-cycling
(4) Good that you run. But remember, running is very good for the heart, and quite bad for your joints. I'd suggest do some low impact cardio, with the intent that it keeps your heart healthy. Running/Cardio should not be looked upon as a "fat loss" instrument. It's quite inefficient at that. By jogging for 40 minutes, you'd lose somewhere around 350-500 calories (depending on your body weight, and metabolism). You can easily shave off that many calories off your diet.

If I sound credible enough, simply follow the three rules in my post above

Last edited by e1t1bet : 8th January 2012 at 06:48.
e1t1bet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 11:28   #229
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I used to weigh 90 kgs in 2001 and this was how I was looking at that time:

The Weight Loss Thread-jignesh-2001.jpg

Now today I weigh 72 kgs & I am weighing in this range of 72 - 77 kgs since last 8 years.

The Weight Loss Thread-11.11.2011.jpg

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 11:25   #230
BHPian

I believe Himalaya drugs produce good medicine which is safe. But still is the weight loss drugs called "Ayur slim" capsules are safe or not??? There is a research paper submitted by Himalaya Drugs on this and i have attached the link.

Experts please say whether is this safe?

http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/pd...urslim_cap.pdf
Old 27th January 2012, 11:54   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
If it helps anyone:

The principle involved is simple - dieting (eating deficit calories) sets your body into catabolism. It looks for sources of energy within the body (fat+muscle). However, if you are training your muscles, and eating enough protein - your body would start attacking stored fat cells for extra energy. Bodybuilders have used this principle since at least the 70s.

(...)
Do cardio if you have heart issues, or want to have a healthy heart. Cardio solely for fat loss is quite inefficient. Remember, fat loss = 80% diet, 20% exercise.
Great advice e1t1bet! I have been following this since I started my regimen at the end of November. Had a 3-day setox diet followed by an unwavering routine of 2000 calories/day plus workout 6 times a week (evenly divided between weight training with a personal trainer and low-impact cardio). After 7 weeks, I weigh in 5 kg less than I did More importantly, I feel fresher, more energetic, less "chubby" (since fat is lost first from the visible places like the belly, buttocks, double chin and cheeks) and definitely a lot sexier than I used to feel!

I followed the diet religiously for 4 weeks when bulk of the transformation took place. After that some slip-ups for Christmas and New Year happened (my dietician and doctor-friend assure me this is normal). I missed a week and a half of gym because of viral infections. That had my dietician a little worried and she was considering putting me on a less stringent diet but I declined. Now I am fine and back at the regimen. Hope to get below 90 kg to start with (currently at 93).

This thread is an inspiration: people like Jignesh above are the reason we are all here!

Edit: Regarding the Ayur Slim query, I second what mobike says below. You should however chew on roasted flax seeds once or twice a day which has the effect of speeding up your body's metabolism, plus it's completely natural.

Last edited by noopster : 27th January 2012 at 12:03.
Old 27th January 2012, 11:59   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I believe Himalaya drugs produce good medicine which is safe. But still is the weight loss drugs called "Ayur slim" capsules are safe or not??? There is a research paper submitted by Himalaya Drugs on this and i have attached the link.

Experts please say whether is this safe?
Stay away from it. IMO, never take any pills be it mass increasing or decreasing related. As it will definetly have some side effect or other. Nothing beats exercise and religious planned diet regime.

I am speaking from a bit of experience ( not using this product though)
Old 27th January 2012, 12:06   #233
Senior - BHPian

I have been trying to go for a jog every morning since the beginning of this week. This is what I do : I briskly walk for about 3-4 minutes to get the blood flowing, and then slowy break into a jog. I run for about 500-750 meters, after which I am just too winded to continue. My lungs feel like they are on fire and my legs feel ready to give up. So I again break into a brisk walk (no stopping) to catch my breath for about 200 meters, then jog again. I do this 6-7 times or 45 mins, whichever is earlier. After 4 days, the result is..umm..nothing. A slight reduction in my belly convex. I think.
Anyways, that is not the reason I posted here. My reason is, there is a persistent pain now in my knee area. I feel like an arthritic 70 year old. I use my faithful Nike something-or-the-others for running, which I have been using for ages. Also, I run on a flat tarmac surface. What should I do ? What am I doing wrong ?
Old 27th January 2012, 12:31   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
After 4 days, the result is..umm..nothing. A slight reduction in my belly convex. I think.
Anyways, that is not the reason I posted here. My reason is, there is a persistent pain now in my knee area. I feel like an arthritic 70 year old. I use my faithful Nike something-or-the-others for running, which I have been using for ages. Also, I run on a flat tarmac surface. What should I do ? What am I doing wrong ?
First of all, don't expect visible results in 4 days. My advise is to follow a healthy lifestyle (regular exercise + diet control) and not worry about the immediate results. The results will come automatically after a while.

This kind of pain is normal considering that you might have started jogging after a long break. Since your legs are not used to this kind of workout on a daily basis, a better approach would be to start jogging on alternate days to begin with, for a week or two. After that, you can make it a daily routine.

Running on hard surface also puts more pressure on the joints. If possible, try to find a ground where you can jog.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 12:41   #235
Senior - BHPian

Thanks rohan. I will continue with my routine for some time to see how the pain progresses. No issues with my diet, I think.
Actually I have started running because I dont want my collection of waist size 32 pants to go err..waste!
I have nearly given up on snacking on deep fried food.
I have a breakfast of oatmeal at home. Then if colleagues insist that I come along with them, have a juice/coffee in the cafeteria at 10.30. 3 Chapatis+the vegetable of the day for lunch. Just tea in the evening followed by a simple dinner at home. Was an occasional meat-eater , but have given up now.
Old 27th January 2012, 13:18   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks rohan. I will continue with my routine for some time to see how the pain progresses. No issues with my diet, I think.
Actually I have started running because I dont want my collection of waist size 32 pants to go err..waste!
I have a breakfast of oatmeal at home. Then if colleagues insist that I come along with them, have a juice/coffee in the cafeteria at 10.30. 3 Chapatis+the vegetable of the day for lunch. Just tea in the evening followed by a simple dinner at home. Was an occasional meat-eater , but have given up now.
I hope you are stretching your leg muscles before and after jogging.

The pain will reduce after a while. If you can continue with your daily jogging routine, nothing like it.

You could also include some strength training in your exercise routine - push ups, pull ups, sit ups, dumb bells etc.

Don't give up non-veg completely. Protein is good for weight loss. But make sure that non-veg is prepared in a healthy manner (tandoori/grilled). Rich gravy is the culprit of weight gain, not the occasional meat.

A suggestion - you could substitute evening tea with a soup/salad/fruit and then have a light dinner.

Rohan
Old 27th January 2012, 15:13   #237
BHPian

Quote:
A small request! Spend some money to get new footwear. Shoes when they become old tend to loose their shock absorption properties which affects us even more as we get older. So it is important to wear proper shoes while running especially if the running surface cannot be helped.
Another important thing for fat loss is you would need to always be out of comfort zone. If your body is comfortable running 500-750 meters after sometime increase the distance /speed every time. Even a small increase helps. Please don't expect changes in the first one month. We need to persist longer so that fat that had been stored in the body is burnt when it runs out of its regular supply of Carbs.
Old 30th January 2012, 23:47   #238
BHPian

Need some help.
I have been on a diet and workout for about a month now. While results are just beginning to show up there is a growing concern. Am facing little hairloss and thats getting me totally worried. Are you guys taking any multivitamin tab or something while dieting ?
Old 31st January 2012, 00:01   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Need some help.
I have been on a diet and workout for about a month now. While results are just beginning to show up there is a growing concern. Am facing little hairloss and thats getting me totally worried. Are you guys taking any multivitamin tab or something while dieting ?
Could you elaborate a bit on what sort of diet you are in?

The reason for hair loss could be inadequate intake of water. You might be sweating it out heavily, but if you aren't taking enough water, your hair will take the first hit.

Some tips to avoid hair loss especially for people who hit the gym regularly

1. Don't shampoo your hair daily. While you are sweating in the gym, your scalp also secretes a kind of oil that is best to the hair. Shampooing regularly will clean up that causing hair dryness.

2. Make curd, fish & dhal a regular part of your diet.

3. Drink a lot of water.

4. Don't take hot water bath or bath with chlorinated water.

5. Always keep your hair clean. Avoid exposure to pollution or direct sunlight. Wear a cap during those occasions.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 00:24   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Could you elaborate a bit on what sort of diet you are in?
I am having chapatis for breakfast and dinner everyday. For lunch am having rice only thrice a week otherwise its sandwiches/chapatis. Saturday is my eat anything day and i have non-veg. Jogging 20-25 mins 5 days a week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks