Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2017, 21:27   #1756
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Whoa! an't believe I missed out all these posts for such a long time. LCHF diet has been discussed extensively over the last few pages, and I managed to read through them now.
One silly question though - What if I run out of options and eat normal food for a day in between? I am getting contradicting answers for this... Some say I can catch up the next day, from where I left. But some say we would fall out of ketosis loop and it would take a week for me to get back to fat burning mode. Which one is right?
Old 28th February 2017, 22:12   #1757
Team-BHP Support

I fall out of LCHF diet at least once in 10 days due to social engagements. There is nothing wrong with it, this is not a science experiment. Live your normal life, stick to LCHF most of the time, but don't be afraid to eat carb when you have no choice.

Don't approach LCHF like a purist, it only makes it difficult.
Old 1st March 2017, 08:29   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I cannot agree more. It is this flexibility that gives you the motivation to go ahead.

I have had occasions when the LCHF diet was not possible/available on some days due to various reasons. I did gain some weight on those days, but cut right back the next day, getting back to LCHF routine. Take LCHF as a lifestyle, you try to follow it whenever you can, but would not mind few exceptions.

I have a challenge coming from next week. Work requires me to fly out Monday and fly back in Friday. At a hotel for 4 nights a week for 4 weeks. This puts LCHF routine at risk. Am hoping to get an electric egg boiler for breakfast eggs and survive on fresh veggies for lunch. Hopefully, I will also be able to stick to LCHF meals in the evenings too. Another challenge is that daily weigh ins will not happen. Would be nice to see how the body copes to this. Will report my stats after the first week.
Old 1st March 2017, 09:15   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Live your normal life, stick to LCHF most of the time, but don't be afraid to eat carb when you have no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
I cannot agree more. It is this flexibility that gives you the motivation to go ahead.

Take LCHF as a lifestyle, you try to follow it whenever you can, but would not mind few exceptions.
Thanks for the much needed confidence guys, I am planning to follow LCHF from this Saturday, lets see how it goes
Old 1st March 2017, 09:31   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Gained 300 grams only.
gained about 200 grams only.
How you able to measure so accurately? Or is it just based on calories you consumed?

I found this video to be interesting.

Old 2nd March 2017, 01:14   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
How you able to measure so accurately? Or is it just based on calories you consumed?
I weigh myself every morning at almost the same time, after morning potty, before breakfast, in the nude, on the same digital scale. I keep a record of daily weight. Not too worried about the accuracy.

There is no calories counting in LCHF, you can eat all you want, as long as you're eating low carb high fat food, until you're full. This is another motivating factor.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 2nd March 2017 at 01:15. Reason: Spell check
Old 4th March 2017, 21:03   #1762
Senior - BHPian

I've got to share my story here. I'm about 5'11 and weight 78 kilos, which is about 3-4 kilos above normal. I used to weigh 86-87 kilos during the start of 2017.

This weight loss was without any workout in the gym. I increased by exercise by two times though.

With the kind of person I am, I can't suddenly stop having anything- I have progressively cut it down.

Note: I used to eat meat 3-4 times a month and a lot of fried snacks.

Here are the numbers:

Quantities I changed:
Home made food: cut by 10%
Fried snacks: cut by 80% (Samosa, Kachori, Mixture etc)
Milk: cut by 50% (Used to have 2 glasses of milk a day. It's one glass of milk and one 250-300 ml of green tea)
Curd: cut By 75% (Yes, I cut down on curd rice. Difficult for south Indians )

Fruits: increased by 300%

I've had no pizza in the last month and had half a chicken biriyani only once.

What I've added to my routine:
Playing Tennis for an hour everyday. (Making the best advantage of the flexible college timings)

What I've gained:

Ability to cycle 37 km in 2.5 hours. Before '17, I couldn't cycle 10 kms without getting tired.
An ability to climb 15 floors without getting tired.

A leaner body, and a greater feeling self. I've made a good start, I'm hoping to lose more weight.

Hope this helps somebody.
------------------------------------

A trigger:
My father who is half a century old suffered a heart attack in November, which was surprising for a very fit person with no high cholestrol, hypertension and who very rarely consumes non-veg.

We did our research and came across what we've been told for a long time: Go vegan.

Here's a video that can sum up our learning:

Also, Dr. BM Hegde's talks are great. He's a legend.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 4th March 2017 at 21:10.
Old 6th March 2017, 11:19   #1763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Note: I used to eat meat 3-4 times a month and a lot of fried snacks.

Here are the numbers:

Quantities I changed:
Home made food: cut by 10%
Fried snacks: cut by 80% (Samosa, Kachori, Mixture etc)
Milk: cut by 50% (Used to have 2 glasses of milk a day. It's one glass of milk and one 250-300 ml of green tea)
Curd: cut By 75% (Yes, I cut down on curd rice. Difficult for south Indians )

Fruits: increased by 300%

I've had no pizza in the last month and had half a chicken biriyani only once.
Congrats on your weight loss. However, your diet comments are quite confusing. You are attributing your weight loss to wrong items.

Reducing meat, fried food or curd has nothing to do with your weight loss. When you cut curd rice, the weight loss happened because of cutting rice, not curd. When you cut chicken biyirani, it was again the rice, not the chicken. When you cut fried food, it was the carb food that was fried, not the oil.

You lost weight by cutting carbs like rice, wheat & maida (used in Samosa, Kachori, Mixture), and milk. Stop blaming meat, curd and fats like ghee/oil/cheese.

I used to eat meat 2-3 times a week. Once I started LCHF diet, I eat two eggs for breakfast, and curd/buttermilk and meat (fish/chicken/mutton) for lunch and dinner. Still I lost 10 kgs.
Old 6th March 2017, 13:31   #1764
BHPian

Guys, rather Gurus, I too want to start with LCHF, but in vegetarian mode (with Egg as OK).

My biggest limitation or lack of motivation has been that I cannot think of what to eat on a daily basis, of course, with variety like how we have been brought up. Compounding the problem is my non-involvement in any form of cooking

OK, As an example - I eat two akki rottis OR 3-4 idlies OR 2 masaledose OR ... at home for breakfast. There is variety on each day of the week. How can I move this kind of food lifestyle to a LCHF style? Egg? Egg? Egg? every day? The fad will die out within a few days for sure. Another problem: how much should I eat? Are 2 eggs a good substitute to 2 akki rotties? I wouldn't know.

I have tried googling but failed to find a good diet chart - with variety :P for Indian Vegetarians. But most talk of Red list/green list OR give a day's plan at the max.

Can you guys suggest some good & easy to make breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner meal suggestions with typical quantities (with variations to cover multiple days - vegetarian of course) with which I can kick start my get fit plan.

Also, is there any site which gives a week or a 15 day food plan for a (south) Indian Vegetarian LCHF follower?

Last edited by null : 6th March 2017 at 13:33.
Old 6th March 2017, 13:47   #1765
BHPian

I lost 3 Kgs in 5 months. I was exactly 100 Kgs, now I am 97.1 and I intend to loose more.

Changes I made.

1. More active lifestyle. Restrict sleep to 6-7 hours only. Early to bed early to raise. I sleep at 10:30 AM and I wake up at 5:25 AM

2. 1 hour of yoga practice including pranayama , suryanamaskara and other streatching / bending asanas

3. No cakes, ice creams, sweets , deep fried, bakery products like puff , bread or any other maida based products. I dont remember when was the last time I had a pizza / burger. No soft drinks either. I am a vegetarian, so non veg ruled out.

4. We switched from white rice to wheat rice ( I think its called Dalia or broken wheat rice ) . Included more vegetables in the diet. As far as possible I stick to home cooked food and I avoid eating out at hotels.

5. Breakfast is either Ragi malt (Ganji) , upma , ragi rotti or rice. I stick to wheat rice even for lunch.

6. Almost zero sugar intake. Its sugarless coffee or green tea. Intially it was very hard to get used to the bitter taste, but now I started liking the taste of strong sugarless coffee.

7. Speaking of coffee / tea, I have cut down coffee from 5-6 cups a day to 2 cups maximum.

8. There are days when my mother is unable to cook, when I eat outside, I watch what I eat.

As a result of all this, I have lost close to 3Kgs and I hope to stick to this regime. Slight inch loss in the waist, I have shed almost 1 inch. My old pants are loose now. :-). I am very active through out the day, I get sound sleep entire night.

Last edited by bblost : 6th March 2017 at 13:49. Reason: I sleep at 10:30 AM. :) Changed to 10:30 PM
Old 6th March 2017, 14:49   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your weight loss. However, your diet comments are quite confusing. You are attributing your weight loss to wrong

I used to eat meat 2-3 times a week. Once I started LCHF diet, I eat two eggs for breakfast, and curd/buttermilk and meat (fish/chicken/mutton) for lunch and dinner. Still I lost 10 kgs.
Thats a lot of cutting down in calorie intake. Dont want to comment on eating fat though !
Agree that we consume lots of calories through rice. Its pretty easy to overeat rice too.
Old 6th March 2017, 15:48   #1767
BHPian

The weight loss is dependent on how much one adhere's to the LCHF paradigm.

I have lost 4.8 Kilos following a moderately strict LCHF for 20 days [109.5 -> 104.7], then euphoria took over and indulged a bit [10 days]; the weight came up to 106.5 Kilos.

This yoyo'ing is far worse to the body and mind. So I'm going to try eliminating gradually to the point of complete carb independence.

@Samurai-san, How far does resistance training accelerate the process of fat loss?
Old 6th March 2017, 17:47   #1768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Thats a lot of cutting down in calorie intake
We don't know whether he has cut calories, he hasn't mentioned it. What is clear is he has cut carbs, which made the weight loss possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I lost 3 Kgs in 5 months. I was exactly 100 Kgs, now I am 97.1 and I intend to loose more.
That's very little loss in 5 months. Since your diet is still rich in carbs, you will not see significant difference. Ragi, white rice, wheat rice, rava are all high in carbs. Switch to dal based breakfast, like green gram dosa (hesarubele) or Urad dal vada. Add paneer, green vegetables, and cheese to your daily meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
@Samurai-san, How far does resistance training accelerate the process of fat loss?
It has little or no effect on weight loss. It will definitely tone your muscles and make you fitter and strong. But weight loss will mostly come from diet.
Old 6th March 2017, 17:55   #1769
BHPian

Quote:

That's very little loss in 5 months. Since your diet is still rich in carbs, you will not see significant difference. Ragi, white rice, wheat rice, rava are all high in carbs. Switch to dal based breakfast, like green gram dosa (hesarubele) or Urad dal vada. Add paneer, green vegetables, and cheese to your daily meals.
Thanks a lot. The problem is time required in prepration. Since my mother is the only cook right now, I have to depend on whatever she cooks. I have very limited choices. I agree it is very little weight loss, but it is quite motivating. We do cook green dal dose but cannot be cooked on an everyday basis. I have to eat what ever my mother cooks.

Yes, there is plenty of green vegetable salad along with my dinner. Would it be safe to eat cheese on an everyday basis ? Aren't they fattening ?
Old 6th March 2017, 18:00   #1770
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Would it be safe to eat cheese on an everyday basis ? Aren't they fattening ?
Looks like you missed my earlier post here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks