Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2016, 22:04   #1696
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
My concern with LCHF is this: If I eat excess of LCHF food (excess of what the body's fuel requirement), what happens to the fat in the diet? What happens to it during digestion and assimilation.

a good friend who is also diabetic has been on LCHF diet for the last 3/4 months has lost about 8-9 Kgs. He is a triathlete and the doesnt feel exhausted with this diet. But yes, he does have protein supplement post workout for muscle repair.

So I would say, please try.
P.S: My friend is 174cm and weighs about 62kgs.
Old 26th October 2016, 10:59   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
a good friend who is also diabetic has been on LCHF diet for the last 3/4 months has lost about 8-9 Kgs. He is a triathlete and the doesnt feel exhausted with this diet. But yes, he does have protein supplement post workout for muscle repair.

So I would say, please try.
P.S: My friend is 174cm and weighs about 62kgs.
Diabetes is a different case, and that is why I excluded it from my question.

And don't get me wrong but why would someone even get an idea that LCHF will cause exhaustion?
!!!

Besides, my question was (grossly simplified, but I hope someone tries something in similar vein before responding):
Since calories don't matter,
would someone be kind enough to
drink 1/2 (half) glass of oil daily in addition to what he is already consuming under the guise of LCHF (in order to increase his calorific intake by roughly 1000 kcal)

If this doesn't cause you to gain weight, the principles of LCHF holds true. Otherwise, all people following LCHF are actually just cutting their calories.

Since there are two possible causes for your fat loss (a) either you shifted to LCHF (b) or you are now consuming less calories
You cannot determine which is the cause for your effect of fat loss.

I think a few people have already said previously that on LCHF it has been easier to get de-addicted to food. I agree 100% on this point. Carbs are addictive, and simple carbs are extremely addictive (case in point: you take any snacks from any part of the globe)
Old 26th October 2016, 11:25   #1698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And don't get me wrong but why would someone even get an idea that LCHF will cause exhaustion?
!!!
The general theory is that for cardo intensive workouts like Triathlon, muscles require immediate access to fuel. The first source is the glycogen store in the cells. Once this depletes, the next easy source is glucose from blood. In LCHF diet, there will be no glucose in the blood stream, nor will there be glycogen stored in the cells. So, the muscles now have to use the fatty acids (from the dietery fat in the diet) from the blood. The general understanding is that this is not an efficient way to fuel your workouts and hence performance will suffer in LCHF. But there are many athletes who do follow LCHF and though there is performance drop in the beginning, the body then learns to get the energy from fat and performance becomes normal after a few weeks.

I am also a beginner Triathlete and I usually add carbs around my workout in the morning and cut out the carbs during other meals.

Quote:
Besides, my question was (grossly simplified, but I hope someone tries something in similar vein before responding):
Since calories don't matter, would someone be kind enough to drink 1/2 (half) glass of oil daily in addition to what he is already consuming under the guise of LCHF (in order to increase his calorific intake by roughly 1000 kcal)

If this doesn't cause you to gain weight, the principles of LCHF holds true. Otherwise, all people following LCHF are actually just cutting their calories.
I definitely do not plan to drink half a glass of oil to prove this point But someone has done a similar experiment.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/what-happ...n-an-lchf-diet

Again, I do not know the authenticity of this experiment (even the article mentions this). Just pointing this as a reference.
Old 26th October 2016, 12:31   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I definitely do not plan to drink half a glass of oil to prove this point But someone has done a similar experiment.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/what-happ...n-an-lchf-diet

Again, I do not know the authenticity of this experiment (even the article mentions this). Just pointing this as a reference.
Some of the comments are even more enlightening.

Interesting yes, but surprising no. I have seen many who would consume lots and lots of carb with no change in the body. Take my case, when I was young, before 20, the moment I took butter, which I loved, or had a glass of full cream milk, immediately I would have to rush to - you know where. The situation did not improve until I took to weight training.
Old 26th October 2016, 13:51   #1700
Senior - BHPian

So you can eat any amount of fat, required amount of protein and very less carbs ! Its the exact opposite what is very natural and easily available option for us :(
Old 26th October 2016, 13:57   #1701
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So you can eat any amount of fat, required amount of protein and very less carbs ! Its the exact opposite what is very natural and easily available option for us :(
Natural and easily available for us (Humans) only in the past few centuries.

Before that we ate meat and berries for a thousands of years.
Old 26th October 2016, 14:12   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
"Beyond that, how about using some common sense? It's a simple matter of eating fewer calories. But nobody wants to talk about calories because doing so does not sell books." She's right.
Quote:
Following Atkins's diet might help you lose weight in the short run, but at the cost of "mortgaging your health." He cites an increased risk of breast cancer, prostate cancer, and heart disease, not to mention headaches, constipation, and even bad breath as the price you pay for the Atkins diet.
Quote:
"Atkins gets into trouble when he says to eat bacon and go into ketosis. It's a toxic state. Look, I'd love to tell people it's OK to eat bacon and sausage, but it's not. You can lose weight in ways that aren't good for you. Smoking causes you to lose weight, as do amphetamines. But it's not just about losing weight, it's losing weight in a way that is helpful. There are no long-term studies to support this diet."
As someone who wants to understand food, found something in National Geographic magazine. Might be of interest.

http://science.nationalgeographic.co...-costs/#page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Natural and easily available for us (Humans).
A myth propounded on wrong assumptions vis-a-vis evolution and life of early humans. Jungle was never a superstore we could go, pick and choose. Hunger not satiety was the norm. The link...

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/fo...ution-of-diet/

Last edited by Piyadassi : 26th October 2016 at 14:19.
Old 26th October 2016, 18:57   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought the whole idea behind LCHF diet was that it makes it easier to cut down calories without harming your body Is that not the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The general theory is that for cardo intensive workouts like Triathlon, muscles require immediate access to fuel. The first source is the glycogen store in the cells. Once this depletes, the next easy source is glucose from blood. In LCHF diet, there will be no glucose in the blood stream, nor will there be glycogen stored in the cells. So, the muscles now have to use the fatty acids (from the dietery fat in the diet) from the blood. The general understanding is that this is not an efficient way to fuel your workouts and hence performance will suffer in LCHF.
Oh yeah I can attest to that from my personal experience, which i think you might have read in the bicycling thread. Hypoglycemia is not fun when you still have 10 miles to go on your bike! And I am happy to sip on gatorade rather than go through multiple cycles of hypoglycemia in order to teach my body to start burning fat when it runs out of glycogen.
Old 16th November 2016, 09:18   #1704
Team-BHP Support

Found these low carb meal options. Made one of them last night. It's a good one if you want to eat something like rice but not rice.

Old 16th November 2016, 23:39   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Natural and easily available for us (Humans) only in the past few centuries.

Before that we ate meat and berries for a thousands of years.
But hasn't our lifestyle also changed drastically over the past few centuries? Hunter gatherers didn't eat 3 times a day nor did they spend 12 hours staring at a monitor. So how come the hunter gatherer diet is suitable for a modern day man?
Old 17th November 2016, 11:41   #1706
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
But hasn't our lifestyle also changed drastically over the past few centuries? Hunter gatherers didn't eat 3 times a day nor did they spend 12 hours staring at a monitor. So how come the hunter gatherer diet is suitable for a modern day man?
Our lifestyle has changed, but our body hasn't. Evolution takes millions of years, we became what we are today, about 2.5 million years ago.
Old 17th November 2016, 15:10   #1707
BHPian

I on the heavier side. I (used to )weigh 101Kg to be exact. I used to walk 7-8Kms a day regulary, I stick to home cooked food most of the times. I eat out very ocasionally and whenever I eatout I watch what I eat. But I never lost weight not my wasit size. 2 months ago I started attending yoga classes . I attend classes everyday. This has changed my lifestyle a lot.

I am able to work better, I remain calm/relaxed most of the times. I am able to focus better, I get sound sleep at night, my bowel movements have improved. I do not crave for coffee / tea (to which I was nearly adddicted) or junk food anymore.

Weight loss is very less infact, I have lost only 1Kg so far yes, now I weigh exactly 100Kgs. I notice some inch loss in my waist. I had to make a new hole in the belt. If I continue this for few more years, there could be overall improvement in my health. I just hope I will be able to continue it.
Old 19th January 2017, 12:06   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Awakening this thread after a couple of months with a long-pending update from my side.

After finding a lot of sense in the remarks on LCHF diet from Samurai, bblost etc, I started mine.

Height: 170 cm
Start: Sep 4, 2016 / 83.5 kg
Target Achieved: Dec 31, 2016 / 70 kg

The Weight Loss Thread-viju_weight_loss.jpg

I got a complete health check-up done (blood, urine, all organ function tests, ECG, TMT, the lot!). Everything including blood sugar, pressure, ECG, TMT, lung function test, uric acid are well within limits.

My total cholesterol as expected, increased. But to my utter surprise, the increase was only in the good (HDL) cholesterol. It was below the required minimum earlier (HDL - 29 in July, 2016) and now at 58. There is a very slight decrease in LDL cholesterol (almost negligible). My doctor was very happy with the results, and asked me to continue the diet with the inclusion of some carbs occasionally, and to be regular with my daily work-outs (at least 30 minutes). She was not bothered with the LDL cholesterol (mine is really high at 163), as she said the increased fluffy HDL particles basically push the greasy LDL in the blood stream (and not let them accumulate anywhere and create blocks).

For the first time in my life, I have started taking running a bit more seriously, and I am doing at least one 10K marathon every month. After 6 months or so, I hope to have enough stamina to do a half marathon. Also, my target is to run at least 1000 km in 2017.

My diet now:
Breakfast:
2 Eggs + 2 pieces of fruit (mostly avocado) + sauteed veggies

Lunch:
5 - 6 pieces of meat (mostly chicken) + sauteed veggies / pulses + cucumber and tomato salad (8 - 10 pieces)

Evening snack:
Another serving of cucumber and tomato salad.

Dinner:
2 large pieces of fish + sauteed veggies / pulses (whichever I did not have for lunch). Sometimes, if I feel like, I have a slice of cheese or a cube of butter with the fish.

I don't eat anything which is not home-cooked. Just to add, I was / still am a teetotaler.

I still have 3 coffees every day, but reduced the milk / sugar in them. Almost found the perfect bearable recipe for black coffee without sugar. Will change to that in a week at the max!

Thinking of restarting cycling after a gap of nearly 20 years, and also requested my wife for some new clothes which fit properly!

Can't thank the knowledge-base of TeamBHP enough!! This has been a life-changing experience to say the least, and I feel more alive and active than ever before!

Last edited by Viju : 19th January 2017 at 12:21.
Old 19th January 2017, 12:16   #1709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post

After finding a lot of sense in the remarks on LCHF diet from Samurai, bblost etc, I started mine.
Mixed feelings on this and I am not sharing the super awesome success story with my wife.
Am stuck in the upper 90's and though my waist size is much better, I think I need a much stronger kick in my diet to have your kind of result.

But honestly posts like your are so inspiring that it deserves a standing ovation.

Very happy about this.

Last edited by bblost : 19th January 2017 at 12:21.
Old 19th January 2017, 12:28   #1710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Height: 170 cm
Start: Sep 4, 2016 / 83.5 kg
Target Achieved: Dec 31, 2016 / 70 kg
This is really awesome. I think your body reacted to LCHF superbly. This won't be the case for everybody, because different bodies react at different pace.

My journey has been lot slower. Although I started in July, I have only lost 10kgs so far. But I am not in any hurry because this is a lifestyle diet and not a crash diet after which you return to the usual eating pattern. Hoping to put up a similar post after I reach my goal, which keeps moving. My initial goal was 80, after crossing that I set it to 75, who knows what I will do once I reach 75.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th January 2017 at 12:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks