Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2013, 13:25   #256
BHPian

Re: A guide : Eating out in Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The last time we'd been to Thrissur, we dined at Sapphire Hotel. Suffices to say, they still serve the same awesome chicken biryani they did a decade back!

and Hotel Sampoorna was at a walking distance from the apartment. The puttu-kadala curry-pappadam was to die for! In the evening, they serve some excellent etheka pory (sweet banana fry) and etheka bhajji (masala/salty banana fry) - makes for good evening snacks. A single lunch meal they serve can comfortably be had by 2-3 guys. The quantity used to be so much! Hotel Bharath continues to be the best in the vegetarian department. Parking is a pain being located at the road side but excellent lunch meals.
I was regular at Sampoorna during my stay in Thrissur during 2002-3. Bharath hotel used to serve Kerala style North Indian dishes in evening...!!! Coconut mixed North Indian Curries..!!

Quote:
Hotel Noorjehan has lost its charm
Sad to hear that. I like their Biriyani and Meals at noon.

Quote:
Durbal Hall Road - Sree Krishna Inn.
The BTH nearby also serves good buffet lunch for Rs. 200.
I never had a good experience with Sree Krishna Inn and always felt it was costly.

for BTH, I like their evening snacks and Masala Dosa.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 12th October 2013, 13:37   #257
Senior - BHPian

Just discovered this thread, while I do not have much to contribute just sharing a few titbits from my trip to TVM. ICH opposite TVM rail station "Set Coffee" sure coffee is their thing but the set coffee served here is in a class of it's own. Puttu at the Coffee shop of hotel Mascot. I have had puttu umpteen times during my trips to the Southern part of the country but this one here especially the black chana accompaniment was simply yum.

I would also recommend the dinner buffet(for non vegetarians) at Fortune South Park where I stayed. The biggest culinary surprise here was when my mother who is a vegetarian was served with piping hot "Amritsari Aloo Kulcha" . Apparently the chef was a Sardar and on noticing my mothers' attire and the slim vegetation pickings on her plate he took it upon himself to ensure that the Punjabis were well looked after. The three nights that we were there he made sure that there were at least two vegetarian dishes (one subzi and one dal) on our table cooked in traditional Punjabi (very little spices, pure ghee/white butter & slow cooked) style. Even today whenever we make kulcha at home all of us cannot help but fondly remember the aloo kulchas of Trivanderam & the Sardarji who indeed was the perfect host.

Last edited by khoj : 12th October 2013 at 13:46.
Old 12th October 2013, 16:26   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The last time we'd been to Thrissur, we dined at Sapphire Hotel. Suffices to say, they still serve the same awesome chicken biryani they did a decade back! The only issue seems to be parking the car. We do it at the open space opposite Alukkas Hotel, adjacent Ammu's Regency, tip the guard and walk to Sapphire. Hardly a stone’s throw from the parking lot.
I agree. Everytime I visit home, it’s a norm that we do a take away from Sapphire atleast once. Hate taking my car to the railway station area and waiting there, and hence we call and order before starting from home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1
Burger King (not THE Burger King!) at Kottapuram serves heavenly shawarmas and burgers (the jumbo beef burger is a pain to finish!). I still recall back in the late ‘90s (1999-2001 to be precise) how I used to bunk the school with a bunch of friends, catch a matinee show at the Ramdas theatre, head to this place for some shawarmas and get back home with an excuse of late/extra classes.
There used to be burger shop in the small shopping centre next to Ramdas Theatre. Don’t remember the name (was it called Mini Burger?). I believe that was the first burger shop in Thrissur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1
Hotel Bharath continues to be the best in the vegetarian department. Parking is a pain being located at the road side but excellent lunch meals.
Bharath is another place we always have in our itinerary (for breakfast). They do have good parking facility next door.
Old 12th October 2013, 17:20   #259
Senior - BHPian

Malabar Village near Vengallur,Thodupuzha. their Beef Dry fry is awesome. there is Joance regency near KSRTC bus station,Thodupuzha good ambience and food.
Old 12th October 2013, 19:00   #260
BHPian

Hotel Kapilavastu ( veg) next to Palakad KSRTC bus stand is very good. They serve nice veg meals for lunch. Crispy dosa during evenings are also worth trying. It will be crowded for lunch. But one of the best in Palakad.
Old 12th October 2013, 20:16   #261
Team-BHP Support

Kapilavasthu has a dreaded parking spot with a steep slope behind the restaurant! Every time someone suggests Kapilavasthu, this flashes in my mind first! They do serve good veg. meals for lunch however. With K.R.Bakes bang opposite to them, these guys draw some of the non-veg. crowd from those who alight down at the KSRTC stand, Palakkad. And you have to give it to K.R.Bakes for their strategic placement of hotels in the state and in Coimbatore as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
There used to be burger shop in the small shopping centre next to Ramdas Theatre. Don’t remember the name (was it called Mini Burger?). I believe that was the first burger shop in Thrissur.
Spot on there. I guess you are referring to that same small outlet adjacent to that ladies' tailor shop inside the building (Octopals Sports outside?).
Old 12th October 2013, 20:30   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Spot on there. I guess you are referring to that same small outlet adjacent to that ladies' tailor shop inside the building (Octopals Sports outside?).
That's the one. I was not able to recollect the name of the sports shop
And there was a electronics shop also in the same building (Nandilath?)
Old 12th October 2013, 20:39   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That's the one. I was not able to recollect the name of the sports shop
And there was a electronics shop also in the same building (Nandilath?)
You are right.

Name:  Mini.png
Views: 1253
Size:  50.7 KB

Talking about Thrissur, I forgot to mention. Hotel Luciya Palace's quality has worsened. It doesn't seem like a nice place to eat. Hotel Jaya Palace's quality is more or less the same but there was an instance of a widespread food poisoning once for people who ate from that restaurant - a one off case you may say. They make insane beef fries! *must. resist. temptation. in Gujjuland.*

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th October 2013 at 20:42.
Old 13th October 2013, 17:06   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Kalyan Swami? You mean the owner of Kalyan Group T. S. Kalyanaraman?
The owners of the Kalyan Group indeed. There are his brothers too, not just Kalyanaraman. Is there a problem ?
Old 13th October 2013, 17:49   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
The owners of the Kalyan Group indeed. There are his brothers too, not just Kalyanaraman. Is there a problem ?
Haha no. I was just confused with the name when you mentioned 'Swami'.
Old 13th October 2013, 18:20   #266
BHPian

Quote:
You are right.

Attachment 1151969

Talking about Thrissur, I forgot to mention. Hotel Luciya Palace's quality has worsened. It doesn't seem like a nice place to eat. Hotel Jaya Palace's quality is more or less the same but there was an instance of a widespread food poisoning once for people who ate from that restaurant - a one off case you may say. They make insane beef fries! *must. resist. temptation. in Gujjuland.*
Mini Fast Food introduced us to Burgers.

By the way, I would still recommend Hotel Elite International for a better dining experience. Please try the Egg Paratha and Grilled Chicken.
Old 21st October 2013, 09:46   #267
Senior - BHPian

Re: joints in and around technopark,TVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Any one tried any mexican dishes from Cactus the so called Mexican cusine joint @ Thejaswini building technopark ?

Also the Dosa plaza is now open at Leela building (12th floor) Technopark,TVM.

http://www.dosaplaza.com/
Update , Dosa plaza stopped their operations in leela building(Technopark) and relocated to Sasthamangalam.

Any clue on when The Mc Donalds started operations at Chandranagar, Palaghat ?

Also revisited the hotel Diana @ Wadakkanchery (On Thrissur-palakkad highway). Diana has been one good hotel in Thrissur-palakkad route and the parking at peak times eats a bit of time.
Old 21st October 2013, 09:55   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any clue on when The Mc Donalds started operations at Chandranagar, Palaghat ?
It's on the highway itself - from Coimbatore side, just before the Chandranagar Junction on the left hand side
Old 21st October 2013, 10:01   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
It's on the highway itself - from Coimbatore side, just before the Chandranagar Junction on the left hand side
Thank you mallumowgli , I was there yesterday evenging. A good place and less crowded. Superb for travellers since its on the highway itself.

How long the Mc Donalds has been there ?
Old 21st October 2013, 10:05   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you mallumowgli , I was there yesterday evenging. A good place and less crowded. Superb for travellers since its on the highway itself.

How long the Mc Donalds has been there ?
Oh, misread your question - this is just about a month old now. Hope the other chains also take the lead and set up their shops around this area!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks