Light source
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-rain1.jpg

Subject
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-rain2.jpg

Subjective
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-rain4.jpg

The view of the road
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-rain3.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th September 2009 at 23:10.
Old 19th September 2009, 23:15   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
To be honest, I don't think there should be any specific pointers as to which settings you should use when shooting in rain. This vastly varies depending on what you want to compose, the light conditions, source of light, etc, just like shooting anything at anytime.
Very true, that is why I have mentioned in my tips that you can use any aperture and any speed settings that fit your compositional requirement. That is why I didn't bother to share exif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Few shots fresh out of the cam.

Subject
Jaggu, this one is bloody brilliant. You have shot the primary subject Rain (not mere water) using the side light very ingeniously.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th September 2009 at 23:21.
Old 19th September 2009, 23:46   #63
Team-BHP Support

Am honored samusan! As you rightly said couldnt find any particular setting which fit all the shots, so thought of experimenting with the light source and the subject and landed up with that shot.

EDIT: shooting rain is a tough job

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th September 2009 at 23:49.
Old 20th September 2009, 00:02   #64
Team-BHP Support

Here is my critique so far on the shots I liked. It is strictly my opinion, according to my compositional tastes.

#3 by Ashishpallod is a good composition, but totally misses on the technicals. Hard to see what is in focus. Should have used a higher F-stop.
#6 by Kaushik_s is an excellent compostion, only wish it had deeper DOF to bring most of it in focus.
#8 by gd1418 is a good composition, like the crop he has done.
#9 by gt_bhp had possibilities if water was in focus.
#12 by parimal_g, the 2nd shot is a breath taking composition, 3rd is also not bad.
#13 by unni.ak, if only the first one was in focus, the second one is good.
#14 by nutty_nair, the second one has possibilities if the electric pole/cable is missing.
#20 by meghan, this is a good composition inspite of being a snap shot behind the windshield.
#25 by Technocrat, the 2nd one has promise if you crop off the top. Unfortunately all are shot from behind windshield, which messes up the shot.
#32 by tsk1979, very good composition, he is getting too much help from Ladakh landscape.
#32 by neoranjit, much better effort than before.
#36 by FountainHeader, you got the technicals right, but the contrast object (concrete walls?) is too dull. Pick a tree or plant or something lively.
#40 by guyonblackybx, I liked the 4th pic, but the rain drops are little softer, out of focus I think.
#48 by ashishpallod, great composition, can't find any fault.
#50 by deky, excellent composition, wish you had deeper DOF.
#53 by tsk1979, I mean really, ladakh shots from be banned from here, it is almost like cheating.
#59 by Ashely Nair, first one is deadly composition, although I wish the guys in front had their back to the camera with the umbrella.
#61 by Jaggu, you lucky dog, that second shot is just perfecto!
Old 20th September 2009, 02:14   #65
BHPian

one from my campsite few years ago!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-3934520903_285cf6b818_o.jpg  

Old 20th September 2009, 02:18   #66
BHPian

Early morning on Nandi Hills- Guess which car this is.

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-711987114_bcdc0beba3_b.jpg

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2009 at 15:32. Reason: Please see the note that has been added in your post.
Old 20th September 2009, 10:06   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is my critique so far on the shots I liked.
#3 by Ashishpallod is a good composition, but totally misses on the technicals. Hard to see what is in focus. Should have used a higher F-stop.
#48 by ashishpallod, great composition, can't find any fault.
samurai sir,
thanks for your comments and tips.
Thats what i am expecting from photo guru.
As i earlier mentioned, this thread is going to be photography tution for me.

#3, the picture was taken at varandha ghat during rain. I was in car at passenger seat and at one turn, this waterfall suddenly came into picture.
We could not stop at that sloping turn with traffic on both side.
So, i managed to click the pic with 5 sec stop, break, click, go.
After looking at the picture, i realized that though composition is good, anyone can't point out the exact focus. Technical aspects are forgotten.
I will correct it.

#48, the picture was taken at tamhini ghat. This was proper click with side stop car, get down, look for composition, set the camera, click, look, again set, click, go. I think composition could have been better with little efforts. Btw, this picture is posted at rediff as one of best mosoon picture.

Thanks.
Old 20th September 2009, 11:45   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Hi!!
Samurai has given a few pointers as to how to shoot in the rain in one of the earlier posts. Besides that he has also mentioned that settings for shooting in rain vary considerably in different situations. Go through that post its quite informative.

Good luck, now if its raining in Chennai, lets see some photos from your side too.
Yes deky, somehow missed to see the tips from Samurai earlier. Just saw them and will try to experiment with the pointers mentioned. Thanks Samurai.

But I was not able to capture the rain and it either gets moved in foreground/background and looks like an after effect. Will do some more trial & error and should hopefully post my contribution, this I will.
Old 20th September 2009, 12:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

Samurai Can we also kindly ask the members to follow serial number for pics It will be easier to give pic number for references rather that giving post numbers for references.

Thank You.

By the way when I suggested such kind of a theme thread right in the beginning in non-auto image thread. I had exactly this in mind...pics of one variety, gurus giving directions and then critique's.

Thank You again for the implementation.
Old 20th September 2009, 13:18   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Thats what i am expecting from photo guru.
As i earlier mentioned, this thread is going to be photography tution for me.
Arrey boss, I am no photo guru. I started getting technical about photography only 4 years back when a fellow BHPian pointed out my profound ignorance. However, I have been using SLRs since 1989 and mostly focused on composition and experimented a lot on it.

I judge photographs on composition, oomph factor and technical execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Samurai Can we also kindly ask the members to follow serial number for pics It will be easier to give pic number for references rather that giving post numbers for references.
With multiple people posting at the same, it can be tough to give numbers. However, if members post only one image per post, we can use the post number.

Therefore, I request members to post only one photo per post. Pick the best of the lot, don't post every rain shot you have.
Old 20th September 2009, 13:43   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Arrey boss, I am no photo guru.
OT :
In sanskrit, the syllables Gu and Ru stands for darkness and light respectively. We all know, darkness means ignorance, and light means knowledge, ( as in tamaso ma jyothir gamaya ) In relative sense, the word guru stands for " one who imparts light of knowledge to dispel darkness of ignorance"

Samurai has taken up this noble endeavour of correcting us and 'dispelling ignorance'. So why shy away from being called a guru ?
Old 20th September 2009, 18:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is my critique so far on the shots I liked. It is strictly my opinion, according to my compositional tastes.

#25 by Technocrat, the 2nd one has promise if you crop off the top. Unfortunately all are shot from behind windshield, which messes up the shot.
Thanks Samurai San for your valuable inputs. I have cropped that Image, let me know if its better now. Also as you said it was taken from within car so composing was difficult both because of the windscreen & time to compose.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-img_0079_1.jpg  

Old 20th September 2009, 20:14   #73

Here s what from me..
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-1.jpg  

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-2.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st September 2009 at 14:41. Reason: Fixing the attachment, please avoid long file name to avoid this error. Thanks
Old 20th September 2009, 20:43   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
So why shy away from being called a guru ?
Because in today's usage, the term guru is used for refer to people who appear to know everything about the topic on hand. Guru as in teacher, I accept that. But Guru as in expert, I have to reject that. I believe in the notion of More you learn, Less you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I have cropped that Image, let me know if its better now.
No, you have to feel whether it is better, what do you think about the cropped image?
Old 20th September 2009, 23:21   #75
Team-BHP Support

How about these

So which one is better, zoomed out or zoomed in.
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-655250698_6my7hl.jpg

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-655251271_qdnlgl.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks