Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2024, 07:11   #481
BHPian

Re: The Tennis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I expected Federer to do it, instead of having the melodrama of a retirement ceremony at the Laver cup.
On that note, there is a new documentary on Amazon Prime called "Federer : Twelve Final Days" recounting the days between his retirement announcement and the Laver cup. A lot of good background footage of the three giants sharing the locker room during the Laver cup and some poignant moments that will make all Federer fans teary-eyed. Good watch for all tennis fans to relive one of the greatest rivalries yet tremendous respect for each other .
DigitalOne is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 14:20   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
On that note, there is a new documentary on Amazon Prime called "Federer : Twelve Final Days" recounting the days between his retirement announcement and the Laver cup.
Yes, I watched it. I am therefore a bit intrigued at how/ why it was all so " staged" if you will. He talks a lot about stress etc. Didn't look very convincing to me frankly. They were all almost in a state of mourning from how it looked like. Yes , you can shed a few tears etc- but you are quitting at a "beyond legit age" in tennis terms, you haven't been at your best a couple of years before, so whats there to feel so sad. Somehow it smacked of brand promotion than an individuals thoughts and feelings. I may be judging a bit too harshly because Fed has been my personal favorite in these last 15 years . He is almost unmatchable in the aesthetic beauty of his playing style and overall fortitude.
Old 29th July 2024, 17:33   #483
Mik
BHPian

Maybe the last time ever, it's Djokovic vs Nadal.
Djokovic leads 30-29 and I dare say, is a favourite on clay for the first time.
Jio Cinema in case you wanna catch it.

Last edited by Mik : 29th July 2024 at 17:35.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 20:26   #484
BHPian

What a comeback in the second set by Rafa and some volley/ judgement was vintage Rafa, but out classed by Djoker. If Djoker continues to play like, he will pick an Olympic Gold this time.
Old 30th July 2024, 05:46   #485
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
What a comeback in the second set by Rafa and some volley/ judgement was vintage Rafa, but out classed by Djoker. If Djoker continues to play like, he will pick an Olympic Gold this time.
The missing piece of gold in Djokovic's long list of championships, the Olympic Gold, he did get a Bronze way back in 2008 if I remember correctly. If he wins the gold he will complete his Career Golden Slam.Only four players have ever done it: Steffi Graf (1988), Andre Agassi (1999), Nadal (2010) and Serena Williams (2012)
Old 4th August 2024, 20:37   #486
Mik
BHPian

The GOAT won't be denied.
He has shown again why he has been able to separate himself from his greatest peers. The first set was dead even with Alcaraz looking more likely to bag it, but in the second set Djoker ramped up his serve and his levels to insurmountable levels and got the better of Alcaraz.
A slower clay surface can be one of the reasons why he turned things around so quickly from Wimbledon, but one thing is for sure. He is not done. Not by a long shot.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 20:51   #487
Senior - BHPian

What a contest this proved to be. Alcarez fought tooth and nail till the end but today belonged to Djoker. The winning moment was too emotional - the feat being achieved in the service of his nation is something that must have moved him a lot.

It is how it is but I do wonder if the result could have been varied had it been a five setter, like in the Grand slams. That both the sets went to the tiebreakers is testament to how close the match was. Best wishes to Alcarez, but huge congratulations to the GOAT.
Old 4th August 2024, 21:51   #488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
but today belonged to Djoker
And thus, he achieves the elusive Career Golden Slam.

Only the 5th individual (man or woman) to win so. The first four are Steffi Graff, Andre Agassi, Rafael Nadal and Serena Williams.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 20:16   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
And thus, he achieves the elusive Career Golden Slam.

Only the 5th individual (man or woman) to win so. The first four are Steffi Graff, Andre Agassi, Rafael Nadal and Serena Williams.
Steffi is always special because she is a calendar year Golden Slam winner (Jan-Dec)
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks