Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 12:53   #31
BHPian

Adding some spice to the game and making this topic more interesting. Who would be your favourite tennis players who you have seen play? For me, it would be Agassi and Steffi Graf. Others who I have enjoyed watching are Sampras, Goran, Seles, Hingis and Sharapova.

Ever since Nadal lost his 1st Wimbledon final to Federer, I have been his fan. He has what it takes to be No. 1 and rule the tennis world.

As far as Ms. Mirza is concerned, she showed promise at one point of time but now success has got to her head and she has lost interest in tennis it seems.

Last edited by SumitB : 8th July 2008 at 12:56.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

There are lots Sumit - I used to love watching Jimmy Connors play.

Adding more spice - who amongst the following 2 female tennis players was more glamorous ?

Gabreila Sabatini or Anna Kournikova ?
Old 8th July 2008, 13:12   #33
BHPian

Anna Kournikova for me
Old 8th July 2008, 13:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Yet to recover from the excitement! Wimbledon always throws up classics, but of late things had gotten a little predictable. With this win, the balance of power has changed.

Federer has fallen at ever grand slam summit match this year to Djokovic, Nadal and now Nadal again. Nadal will now believe that he can beat Federer on the hard courts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Oh boy that was some match, featuring my all-time favourite player & my all-time favourite server!!
Yes yes yes! All time favourite vs all time favourite underdog. After appearing in 3 finals, Goran finally got his redemption against Pat Rafter on his fourth attempt..and what a match that was!

The Steffi-Novotna final is another worthy mention.
Old 9th July 2008, 20:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Adding more spice - who amongst the following 2 female tennis players was more glamorous ?

Thats a no brainer NC. Hubba Hubba Saba!

Sabatini, of course. Anna Kournikova doesn't even come close. I would have walked to the other side of the world to see her play. What a babe!
Old 10th July 2008, 17:35   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I loved Michael Chang (thanks for bringing his name up, Manson).

His speed, stamina and most importantly his never say die attitude. He was dwarfed due to his height but still managed very very well - only due to the attitude.

Fed-Ex is more like Stefan Edberg, I feel. Soft spoken and calm while Nadal reminds me of a bloke called Thomas Muster. Boy what a whacker he was, of the tennis ball. I remember one French Open when he went hammer and tongs and defeated Chang for the title in 1995. (right ?)
Its funny that you've spoken about Chang, Federer & Edberg in the same post.
Here' some more involving the three.

I took notice of Chang only when he beat Edberg in some tournament final, i was always rooting for Edberg or Becker around those days, while my brother would be ardent Agassi fan.
About Edberg and Federer. While i was watching the match i couldn't help thinking of a match between Edberg and some other player sometime in 1996 i think when Edberg was down two sets at 6-4, 6-4 and soon Edberg struck back with a 7-6, 7-6, but he scummbed in the last set for a 6-4.
I was rooting for Federer too in the finals, but this Edberg match made me feel he'd lose the last set, which he eventually did.

While watching the match, i thought Federer was a mix of Edburg & Sampras, what say?

manson.
Old 25th January 2009, 12:25   #37
BHPian

Cracker of a match going on at the Australian open.

Fed-ex vs Berdych

Berdych took the first two sets but now Fed-ex has staged a strong comeback and likely to win this one.
Old 25th January 2009, 13:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Vintage Federer on display at Australian Open. He's well on his course to a victory after being 2 sets down!
Old 27th January 2009, 10:48   #39
BHPian

Wow!

From the Tennis stars names mentioned, many people here have been watching Tennis from approximately the same time as I did.

The Agassi - Goran Match was fantastic, I still remember me and my father watching TV and cheering Goran Ivesevic to win.

Thomas Muster, Pete Sampras, Boris Becker, Michael Chang... some awesome characters!

And how can we forget some awesome final clashes between Pete Sampras and Jim Courier. I really thought Jim would reach great heights, but he lost his game somewhere.

The most entertaining player for me was Stefan Edberg, the way he was to run up to the nets and played using the nets was really fantastic. I used to call him Stefan Netberg then...

Used to love watchin Gabriela Sabatini amongst women from those times, though the court was conquered by Martina Navratilova and then later by Monica Seles.

After around year 2000 really didn't bother much watchin Tennis, because I never found such characters again. But now, boy do I like watchin Rafael and FedEx slog it out?? Hell Yeah! Feddy, a smooth operator, Rafael, with a 'never say die' attitude. Their matches are amazing, really wanting to see them again in the finals of the current Australian Open.

Last edited by five46 : 27th January 2009 at 10:50.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

The Swedes had a couple of awesome players - Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg .
Old 29th January 2009, 12:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
There are lots Sumit - I used to love watching Jimmy Connors play.

Gabreila Sabatini, easily! She brought a lot of glamour to tennis back then! I remember those little Sabatini dolls which were such a hit in the early 90's!
Old 29th January 2009, 12:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

So it's Nadal v/s Verdasco and Fedex v/s Andy Rod.

I feel Fed will once again smash Rod away and Nadal would thrash Verdasco (I am hoping for the other way round thing to happen)

Nadal v/s Fedex Final again ?
Old 29th January 2009, 12:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
The Swedes had a couple of awesome players - Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg .
My Favorites:

Stefan Edberg was involved in one of my most memorable matches - which I remember only vaguely now! (I was perhaps around 10 years old). It was a late night five setter against Michael Chang which never seemed to end! I guess it was the US open?

The match really had everything - great serve and volley tennis by Edberg, the never-say-die Chang retrieving some impossible stuff. Chang was the guy who made 'grit' and 'counter-punching' famous before Llyeton Hewitt happened to tennis.

The other favorite is the Goran Ivanesevic V/s Rafter match in Wimbledon, not because of the quality of Tennis played, but purely becoz I desperately wanted Goran to win after the heartbreaks he went thorugh in his previous Wimbledon Final appearences.

Also, the Ivavisevic - Agassi 92 Wimbledon Final.

But to top it all, for sheer quality of Tennis, I remember a clash between Sampras and the wiry Peter Korda in Wimbledon which went down to the wire. Sampras - in peak form and playing to his best and yet being challenged by some unbelievable tennis by Korda! I had goosebumps all over and within minutes had changed loyalties and was rooting for Korda!!

Last edited by car'zy : 29th January 2009 at 12:59. Reason: Typos!
Old 29th January 2009, 14:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:
So it's Nadal v/s Verdasco and Fedex v/s Andy Rod.

I feel Fed will once again smash Rod away and Nadal would thrash Verdasco (I am hoping for the other way round thing to happen)

Nadal v/s Fedex Final again ?
I think Federer will get past Roddick into the Finals, but I have a sneaking feeling that Nadal may not!

And to add to my earlier post-

A little bit of 'google' ing and I found this - the Korda- Sampras match in question was either of these -

1997 US Open - 4th Round - Korda bt Sampras 6-7 7-5 7-6 3-6 7-6
1997 Wimbledon - Quarter Finals- Sampras bt Korda 6-4 6-3 6-7 6-7 6-4

Last edited by car'zy : 29th January 2009 at 14:32.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

I used to love watching McEnroe,Bjorn Borg, Jimmy Conners,Ivan Lendel (some stamina he had),Boris Becker ,Stephen Edberg. Cant believe its been so many years

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks