Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2022, 01:44   #421
BHPian

Re: The Tennis Thread

Agreed that Rafa and Novak won more titles and have a better winning record. But! Sport is about the way it is played first, then about winning.

Agreed that Federer is a a better PR, a bigger brand. But, hey! Why do you discount the tears of Rafa? His humility and his respect for opponents comes before his titles. Actually being a Federer fan, I would wish my son emulates Nadal as his sporting idol. Or, why discount the players who voted Federer 13 times their pick for best sportsman award?

And, there are enough examples in other sports, too. Of how wins don't necessarily determine greatness. Many a times, it's how the game is played, and what the person brought to the game. On this count, Federer set the benchmark.

The burden of history has never been heavier on a shoulder than that of Federer's. He set the standards so high that it took years for people to match it. Nadal's lefty game allowed him to have a measure of Federer early. But others caught up only once Federer was broken first by Nadal and then by injuries. Someone like Nalbandian Or Del Potro had to play out of their skin to earn their wins until 2009. Even when Djokovic peaked in 2011, Federer defeated him twice - 2011 French and 2012 Wimbledon semi finals. Djokovic mastered Federer only post 2012. They had an even record until recently. So, all is not what it looks like in the numbers. As they say, sometimes numbers hide more than what they reveal. Each player had to work that much harder to keep up their levels with Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic. So hard that the rest could hardly win anything. So, that's how much Federer changed the game first, setting the bar high, and followed by Nadal and Djokovic.

By the last factor alone, Federer deserves the send off he got. GOAT or not, he wouldn't care less. The send off he got, the company of Rafa, would be the moment he and his fans will forever cherish. It's the image which will be imprinted forever in the history books of Tennis, of rivals who rewrote the meaning of rivalry. They are the greatest. The rest arguing here, you and me, are mere mortals not even worth the salt, if I'm using the right phrase. Oh, do I care?
theabstractmind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:46   #422
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions needed on purchasing a Tennis Racquet.

I started playing Tennis 2 years ago during the Covid lockdowns. I never went for any training, learning the game as I regularly play with my fellow opponents, who are also in the same boat. I'd say I'm not a beginner, but may be a junior intermediate player - because when I play, I'm comfortable on the court, I can be consistent, I'm concerned about where my shots are going, changing depth, direction, and types of shots.

I'm 44, underweight, and do not possess above-average arm muscle strength, I am very athletic. I've been using a very old Wilson Racquet (Soft shock, Energy written on it, bought from the USA). I play on a hardcourt.

Recently the strings on this racquet became very loose and I got it restringed. After this, I find it difficult to play with it - I think it absorbs more energy on the racquet making the rebounds less powerful. The racquet vibrates unnecessarily.

Any suggestions for a new racquet? What factors should I consider? I am reading about weight, balance, etc. Don't want to spend a fortune on the racquet yet, so my budget is limited to the bottom-most level, around 6K INR.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th October 2022 at 12:05.
Old 11th October 2022, 13:08   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Any suggestions for a new racquet? What factors should I consider? I am reading about weight, balance, etc. Don't want to spend a fortune on the racquet yet, so my budget is limited to the bottom-most level, around 6K INR.
Based on your experience, I'd suggest looking into the following key factors:
  • Swingweight vs strungweight - lower swingweight means it's easier to swing harder so less stress overall. Arm strength, although important, is secondary to hip swinging strength (where the real power is generated). Still, considering your limited experience, I wouldn't recommend taking a racquet more than 305-310g of swingweight. Remember, swingweight is more important than strungweight because it affects the feel.
  • Stick to a medium-large head size because you are still learning to hit shots well. 105-110 sq inch of head size should be forgiving enough and yet teach you to strike the ball properly.
  • Power level - stick to racquets generating medium power level but when in doubt, err on the side of slightly higher power. In general, higher power level means lesser control on shots while lower power level means you have to generate a lot of power from your body, which I don't recommend given your age. Medium power level provides the right balance between power and control.
  • Always use vibration dampeners and study a little bit about the proper tension and the kind of strings you use for restringing. This is a big topic so I'll skip the details here.

I'm writing this based on my tennis playing experience over the last 10+ years - I must have used 7 or 8 different racquets before settling on my current one, i.e. Head Speed MP. Not aware of the latest racquets in the market under 6K so I'll say this - keep these things in mind but always test the feel of the racquets in person. Online buying simply won't do. My preference has been Head > Wilson ~ Babolat.

Last edited by siddhant : 11th October 2022 at 13:10.
siddhant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:59   #424
BHPian

Quote:
I'd say I'm not a beginner, but may be a junior intermediate player - because when I play, I'm comfortable on the court, I can be consistent, I'm concerned about where my shots are going, changing depth, direction, and types of shots.
Get a head light (HL) or a balanced racquet that doesn't weigh more than 280-290 GM's. As you get better you can always add lead weight to the tip to generate more power. A lighter (HL) racquet is easier to swing and control. A heavier racquet is easier on volleys and transmits less shock to the wrist/elbow, but unless you have the strength is difficult to control

Quote:
Recently the strings on this racquet became very loose and I got it restringed. After this, I find it difficult to play with it - I think it absorbs more energy on the racquet making the rebounds less powerful. The racquet vibrates unnecessarily.
Tighter the stringing, more energy is required to generate pace but you will have better control on where you want to place the ball. A lower tension will give you more pace and spin, but you loose control. You need to try different tensions to see what suits you best. Start with 52-55 Lbs. Don't go crazy on strings, just choose a decent 16 or 17 guage for now.

You can lookup reviews on tennishub.in or tenniswarehouse for suitable racquets and strings. Tennishub.in usually has some good deals on racquets

Bottom line don't spend too much until you get your basics right and get decent at the game.

Have fun.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 09:00   #425
BHPian

Playing tennis for almost 28 years now.

There are lot of options. Details given are not suffice to recommend.

Personally send me email at samitjain@yahoo.com and will tell you in details
Old 21st November 2022, 09:08   #426
BHPian

ATP tour finals 2022 concluded last night and its a bit surprising to see not a single post on this!

No surprises as far as the result is concerned with Djokovic lifting the prestigious trophy for a record equalling 6th time. Djokovic defeated Casper Ruud 7-5, 6-3 in the title clash. With Djokovic given clearance to play in Australian Open 2023, there's plenty to look forward in the coming year.

Quote:
Here are 10 things Djokovic achieved with his triumph in Turin:

He ties Roger Federer for most ATP Finals titles since the tournament began in 1970. Federer is also a six-time champion at the event, winning it in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011.

He cashes in a record $4,740,300 for winning the title undefeated. It’s the biggest single-tournament payout in tennis history.

At 35 years and 5 months, he breaks the record for oldest champion in tournament history. Federer held the previous record, winning it at 30 years and 3 months in 2011.

He’s the first player ever to win the ATP Finals in three different decades—the 2000s, 2010s and 2020s. Five other players have won the ATP Finals in two different decades: Bjorn Borg (‘70s and ‘80s), John McEnroe (‘70s and ‘80s), Boris Becker (‘80s and ‘90s), Federer (‘00s and ‘10s) and Alexander Zverev (‘10s and ‘20s).

He’s now won the ATP Finals in three different cities: Shanghai (2008), London (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) and Turin (2022). Only two other men have done that: Ilie Nastase, who won it in four different cities (Paris in 1971, Barcelona in 1972, Boston in 1973 and Stockholm in 1975) and Federer in three cities (Houston in 2003 and 2004, Shanghai in 2006 and 2007 and London in 2010 and 2011).

His win over the No. 4-ranked Ruud was the record-extending 240th Top 10 win of his career. Federer has the next-most career Top 10 wins in ATP rankings history with 224.

It was his fourth time winning the ATP Finals undefeated. He also did it three years in a row in London from 2012 to 2014.

He ties Carlos Alcaraz for most ATP titles this year with five. He also won Rome, Wimbledon, Tel Aviv and Astana—Alcaraz won Rio de Janeiro, Miami, Barcelona, Madrid and the US Open.

It was the 91st ATP title of his career. It’s the fifth-most in the Open Era, but he’s closing in fast on the next two players on the list—Jimmy Connors leads the list with 109, then Federer with 103, then Ivan Lendl with 94 and Rafael Nadal with 92.

He’s now won 18 of his last 19 matches to close out the year. And 26 of his last 28 matches, and 35 of his last 38 matches.
Source
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 17:14   #427
BHPian

Australian Open 2023

Djokovic reigns supreme again at the Australian Open to clinch the trophy for a record extending 10th time, matches Nadal's tally of 22 majors. After missing the tournament last year due to an unusual circumstance, Djokovic roars back to defeat Tsitsipas 6-3, 7-6, 7-6 in the title clash.

Incredible stuff from the GOAT!
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 16:01   #428
Team-BHP Support

Cross posting here from the Best Ads thread, since it is Arbaaz Federer

Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 10:18   #429
BHPian

Carlos Alcaraz returns to the top spot of ATP rankings after defeating Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 6-2 in Indian Wells final.
Old 9th June 2023, 21:59   #430
BHPian

French Open 2023

Novak Djokovic makes it to yet another Roland Garros final defeating the world no.1 Carlos Alcaraz 6-3, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1.

What a player! GOAT!
Old 10th June 2023, 10:18   #431
Senior - BHPian

Wonder how the match would have turned out if Carlos did not get injured :( What a letdown of a match that was promised to be an epic showdown.
Old 11th June 2023, 21:58   #432
BHPian

Grand Slam No.23 for Novak Djokovic!!

Novak overcomes a tough first set before sweeping aside Casper Ruud in the final 7-6, 6-3, 7-5 to become the first man with a Triple Career Grand Slam! Incredible player!

Ruud played really well, but the champion was just exceptional!

Last edited by Emvi : 11th June 2023 at 22:01.
Old 11th June 2023, 23:59   #433
BHPian

Novak Djokovic is a true champion as well as a true mascot for anti-unnecessary vaccination. His role against compulsary covid vaccine must be remembered and cherished for a long time.
He had much to lose but he stuck to his principles of keeping his own body healthy and indeed still emerged out as the champion.
I am a fan of Nadal but he succumbed to the popular sentiment of the day and he criticized Djokovic for taking care of his health. It's a negative against Nadal.
Hats off to Djokovic for this glorious achievement.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 07:23   #434
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic match. Very clean tennis by Novak. Whilst the first set was a see-saw, Kevin had no clue in the second and he tried a bit in the third. Such was the dominance of Novak.

Even in the semis match against Alcarez, it was super evident that the only person running to different corners of the court was Alcarez. Novak controlled the entire game till such time Carlos could do no more.

Very happy for him. It’s strange that he doesn’t have the fan following of a Federer or Nadal.

I have a feeling that he’s not done yet. Let’s see Wimbledon in a month from now.
Old 12th June 2023, 08:08   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Whilst the first set was a see-saw, Kevin had no clue in the second and he tried a bit in the third.
Kevin!?
I am pretty sure you meant Casper.

Quote:
Very happy for him. It’s strange that he doesn’t have the fan following of a Federer or Nadal.
This is probably because of the kind of character he is. He is never afraid to speak his mind out. This nature of his, has courted trouble / controversy a few times.

Quote:
I have a feeling that he’s not done yet. Let’s see Wimbledon in a month from now.
25 Majors is a definite possibility. He might end up with even more than that, given his supreme fitness level.

Last edited by Emvi : 12th June 2023 at 08:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks