Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2022, 20:11   #406
BHPian

Re: The Tennis Thread

Although the news is a bit shocking, not completely unexpected. Federer may not be the greatest player ever statistically speaking, but he is easily the most graceful player to have played the game IMO. The way he conducted himself on and off the court has been impeccable, a true role model. If not for Rafael Nadal, Federer's grand slam record would have remained unbeatable. Nonetheless, RF is one of the greatest sportspersons ever.

Roger, Wimbledon will miss you, the world of tennis will miss you champ!
Emvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 20:05   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Amul's tribute to the great Roger Federer:

The Tennis Thread-fcyh5ldakaq4kdj.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 14:18   #408
Senior - BHPian

After all, even the master magicians are human!

The Tennis Thread-img_20220924_141523.jpg

A poignant picture indeed.
dailydriver is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 17:19   #409
Senior - BHPian

Ok-I am a great fan of Federer, but an even greater fan of tennis as my BHP handle itself would indicate, having watched it from 1981 onwards when my mom and dad were hotly debating their respective favorites during the Wimbledon final (mom-McEnroe, dad-Borg). Champions come and go, the sport lives on. I remember watching Sampras's simple but befitting ceremony where he walked the US Open centre court for one last time in 2003 and a plaque was unveiled and a few speeches were made, notably by people like Courier and McEnroe who yesterday may have had a sense of deja vu.
People in general are reacting as if he has announced renunciation or something. Right there, in Laver Cup are two of his compatriots who have achieved equal or better. Not to mention women like Steffi Graf, Serena. I would think someone like Steffi has also equally been a huge ambassador of the sport with her dedication, fitness, determination and non-controversial demeanour on and off the court. The only problem is that its the women's game, and it was the pre-Twitter era. In terms of how Federer ranks amongst the trio, aesthetics of the game aside, I feel Rafa has been a better performer than Federer but somehow Federer's personality is a bit more appealing to the English-friendly media which of course dominates the proceedings. Novak too has achieved almost equally well as Rafa, although he has courted controversy, especially in recent times (takes nothing away from his game).
To me it sounds like a good marketing investment to create the hype around Federer's retirement because of course Federer the brand is bigger than Federer the player. And provides a template for the way in which the sport itself would be popularized.

I know its not a popular opinion, but then where else but Team BHP to speak out.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 24th September 2022 at 17:22.
fhdowntheline is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 19:55   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
People in general are reacting as if he has announced renunciation or something. Right there, in Laver Cup are two of his compatriots who have achieved equal or better. Not to mention women like Steffi Graf, Serena. I would think someone like Steffi has also equally been a huge ambassador of the sport with her dedication, fitness, determination and non-controversial demeanour on and off the court.

To me it sounds like a good marketing investment to create the hype around Federer's retirement because of course Federer the brand is bigger than Federer the player. And provides a template for the way in which the sport itself would be popularized.

I know its not a popular opinion, but then where else but Team BHP to speak out.
The moot point in the whole Federer retirement saga is the admiration and respect that he has got from his competitors. There is absolutely no doubt that Novak, Rafael and Roger put together were magnificent all through these years and to see them in action for this long is our privilege.

In my three decades of tennis watching in particular and sports in general, I have never seen any competitor tearing up for a guy who was his greatest competition for almost two decades. To see Rafael Nadal holding his tears when he is about to burst crying is something that can’t be unseen at all. I don’t know weather that’s some marketing gimmick or not, if it is, Rafael Nadal is the greatest actor ever born.

Federer has this habit of crying since long and we already know that he is quite an emotional person. In the case of Federer, it was never the number of titles he won but how he won. There was a time when Stefan Edberg was the epitome of gentleman in tennis after may be a Lendl or even may be a Sampras. Novak and Rafael may have greater titles than Roger but the deep impression he left on tennis by his sheer demeanour on and off the court is arguably unmatchable.

It is our good fortune that we have seen the greatest players in action over the years. I never thought that the double handed back hand service return of Agassi can ever be bettered on a tennis court but then came Roger Federer. In terms of sheer talent, Roger is right up there and to see him realise his talent to this extent is indeed heart warming. The adulation he is getting is every bit well deserved, just like how a Sampras or a Becker got or may be even a player like Goran Ivanisevic.

I am a huge admirer of Rafael Nadal for the sheer tenacity he brings to the game, an admirer of Novak for the grit he brings to the game and I simply love how Roger conducted himself on and off the courts, besides the play on the court itself. We will certainly see Roger in future too, in what capacity is the question to look out for.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 24th September 2022 at 19:56.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 21:23   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
The moot point in the whole Federer retirement saga is the admiration and respect that he has got from his competitors. Novak and Rafael may have greater titles than Roger but the deep impression he left on tennis by his sheer demeanour on and off the court is arguably unmatchable.
It In terms of sheer talent, Roger is right up there and to see him realise his talent to this extent is indeed heart warming.
Oh, I have no doubt in my mind that Roger Federer has perhaps the best court craft amongst the GOATs. You can see many times how he was able to steer the course of the point by exploiting all parts of the court and wrong-footing his opponents. He even added a SABR to his arsenal to outfox Novak towards 2017 or so. So in terms of talent, there is no question at all. In terms of grit, tenacity, I think Rafa and Novak have been superior to Federer. As they say in some other fora, when playing these two, you'd never know which Roger would turn up. Sometimes he could be Darth Federer (Vader) or sometimes he would be Roger Fed-error.
In terms of demeanour, generally yes, although he has had his moments, racquet breaks, arguments involving unparliamentary language with umpires on occasion. I have rarely even seen Rafa argue with umpires except for Carlos Bernadez with whom he did have a bit going. The only thing about Rafa has been some time wasting during service. Novak has had a bit of a reputation with other players, MTOs zillion ball bounces and whatnot. So none of the level of a Stefan Edberg. But as I still maintain, Federer lent himself to good overall PR because of a genial disposition and English language media savvy. Rafa always has had a language barrier from that perspective. Although I think he is now a bit more comfortable in his own skin in the public.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 24th September 2022 at 21:26.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 10:19   #412
BHPian

While we are still talking about Fed, here is one more article about him.
https://www.espn.in/espn/story/_/id/...ard-grand-slam
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 14:09   #413
Senior - BHPian

I enjoyed Pete Sampras and Andre Aggasi rivalry a lot.
Federer and Nadal rivalry easily surpasses them and has to be the best ever. But the amount of respect and gamesmanship both of them have shown over the years is exemplary. Will be a dark day when Nadal too hangs his boots. Never been a fan of Novak no matter how many records he makes or breaks. Federer will be highly missed.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 15:39   #414
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes I wish one of these GOATs bow out on a high, i.e. immediately after winning a slam or another major title. That would require a hell lot of mind motivation.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 16:38   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Huge fan of Federer here but I felt he should have retired a bit sooner. Too much to bear seeing him lose to other players. In general, I admire athletes with ‘the gift’ more than those who compensate with effort. Federer made everything look so simple. He gets so much support from the crowds that even as a fan, I often felt sorry for his opponents.

And that’s how I have come to admire Novak. He always had win in the face of crowds rooting for his loss. That’s truly admirable. I remember in one of the post match interviews after a win he said: “I imagine in my mind that crowds are cheering for me and shouting Novak! Novak!!”. I was blown away by his positive thinking and since then I have started liking him for what he is though I am not a big fan of his tennis.

Nadal is the absolute definition of never say die fighting attitude. Incredible athlete and a wonderful person. Federer is a bit PR nurtured, marketable athlete type of personality. Nadal comes across as a simple no nonsense guy who cares about giving his absolute best on the court and doesn’t bother with much else - takes his losses gracefully.

These three provided years of entertainment and strong likeable personalities that are so fascinating to follow. I think each one made the other two greater athletes and human beings. That’s why there is a lot of respect for each other.
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 10:33   #416
BHPian

A sportsperson should leave at the height of his/her glory rather than when he/she is struggling to play at their best. Federer and Serena should have retired much earlier as they were not physically very fit due to injuries.
Joeboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 10:50   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboy View Post
A sportsperson should leave at the height of his/her glory rather than when he/she is struggling to play at their best.
While this is the cliched advice, it's easier said than done, right? Sports people do feel genuinely, that they haven't reached the height of their glory, and hence the quest for greater achievements. Some times it's the correct decision, and some times it isn't. It's like the standard advise for stocks - "Buy low, sell high" , but what is "high"?
PearlJam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 11:50   #418
BHPian

This was my post on LinkedIn. For me, having lived through the McEnroe, Borg, Lendl, Sampras, Edberg, and Becker eras, he is the greatest to have ever played tennis!

Roger Federer - A tribute!

It was a day I was anticipating and yet dreading simultaneously. Expecting because all good things, even great things, have to come to an end, and even the greatest is no exception. Dreading, because in many ways, with his retirement, the music dies!

For many browsing inanely on the internet, time is spent watching cat videos or game videos or, well, pick your poison! For me, it was often videos of Federer playing. Variations of 'breathtaking, magical, godly, unbelievable' videos of Federer - where the spectators, as well as the audience, gasp in astonishment at having witnessed superhuman athletic effort, rendered as a work of sublime art!

And a work of art, Roger was for sure. Often in stark contrast to his opponents who were as much a battleaxe to his rapier! Some have described him as poetry in motion, but no poetry ever moved as purposefully as he did. His athletic prowess masked by his fluid grace! His steely will and fierce competitive spirit embellished by his gentlemanly presence on and off the court! His wins and trophies may have dried out towards the end of his magnificent career, but he had his fans in thrall every time he wielded his racquet like a magician - with a swish and a flick.

I can say that I will miss his great fluid whip of a forehand. The elegantly effective one-handed backhand that he reinvented in the waning of his career to a potent weapon! His magnificently deceptive serve that he deployed at will to any corner like a guided missile! His unmatched footwork which was more akin to a ballet dancer than a tennis player. Yes, I can say all that, but Federer is more, much more.

For he is a champion of champions. A peerless ambassador for the sport, for athleticism, for how to be a winner beyond compare and yet be grounded, vulnerable, humorous, and human.

Roger Federer, salut! I will miss you!
Arun Varma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 14:26   #419

Wrote a little something when I heard Federer was retiring. Seems like an appropriate place to share.

Hey Roger.

I think the only time sport made me cry (other than at my inability to excel at one), was the final of Australian Open back in ‘17. I didn’t cry when he lost the monumental Wimbledon final in ’08 stretching into the wee hours (though I came damn well close), neither when he lost a whole bunch of others. But that win, that journey - it broke me. It broke me when he was broken in the first game of the fifth, it broke me when he couldn’t make it 2-2, it broke me enough to shut down the game and wallow…one more thing in life was turning out a disappointment. That is, until a friend called and said “Are you happy now?”, and I could not believe my ears. I confirmed if it actually meant what I thought it did, and I broke down. Only, in a good way this time. Those tears couldn’t blur the clarity of the 5 games I then went on to replay. Maybe the disappointments are just a part of the journey towards happiness.

In my nearly 1000+ (and counting) re-viewings of those 5 games on Youtube, the same exemplar lessons of never giving up and believing in yourself and rising up when down (in the match and in life), give me back some of the courage and strength that I am so lacking at the moment. What those viewings also unfailingly give me, is smiles and goosebumps every time I resonate with the passionate scream of the lady in the red Swiss tshirt that the cameraman pans to when the score finally gets back on serve. Until then, I could never understand how one could have a sports event so close to their heart.

The story of that match has been the story of following his career. The ups and the downs, the highs and the lows, the grace and the poise, and of course the inspiration (somehow, without much perspiration). I have to admit, it has been frustrating at times. Oh SO frustrating! But it has always been worth it. It has been worth it to find my own win in his. It has been worth it to have a role model to look forward to. It has definitely been worth it to have witnessed excellence in its pure, unadulterated, beautiful form – for isn’t life but a search for such beauty?

This news was not sudden in the way a dog jumping in front of your car is. It has been like driving into a wall you could see coming from miles away but could do nothing about. And frankly, this is not the first time I’ve experienced that (one of which the AO’18 win may have helped me cope with). And this, like the other times has just proven that it doesn’t matter if you foresaw it – it still hurts like a bitch. But I guess he did what he had to, and as a friend put it, “played with my emotions over the years.” Right till the very end.

Hey Roger, thanks for doing that. And so much more.
ideacatalyst is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 21:30   #420
BHPian

I too have watched the era of Edberg Becker Stich Michael Chang Sampras Agassi Gustavo Kuerten, but if someone did impress me with his on court behaviour after Edberg, it was Federer.

The most graceful person to stand on court was Edberg and they made an ATP award for Sportsmanship after him.

Watching tennis reduced after his retirement.

Sampras was too cold in his approach
Agassi was too colourful

And then came GOAT Federer.

His on court behaviour had been exceptional though not as good as Edberg (My Idol).

He carried alone on his shoulder the art of Serve and Volley. He was as stylist as one could ever be on a tennis court. Never saw him huffing and puffing in match. Revived the Art of single handed backhand.

Federer the Brand may be bigger than Federer the player which shows in his earning, but he very well deserves it.

Some people are saying he should have retired earlier, but see his performance in the Last Few Grand Slams he played. Quarters in Wimbledon, I Semi Finals in Aus Open.

Most people wrote him off in 2017 but he came back to win a few more.
samitjain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks