Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 14:48   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Tennis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
That he is ready to forego the future titles in lieu of not taking the vaccine, that’s the choice he is making.
Perhaps he won't miss out on too many slams. If this pandemic is really over and cases continue to decline the way they are now, it's quite possible that at most the next or next two major events will require players to be vaccinated and after that they will stop asking. Missing even one slam is a big deal true, especially when an athlete is at their peak, but still, it might not be more than another event. Time will tell.

Last edited by am1m : 15th February 2022 at 14:49.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:52   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Quite an interesting stance by Djokovic, somehow feel that he has got entrapped with his own cauldron.
Its very easy for Djokovic to change his stand re himself getting vaccinated. He can easily say that he is getting vaccinated against his better judgement for the sake of his career which frankly everyone else has done. He has no obligation to become a mascot for anti-covid vaccine lobby.

Quote:
When every tennis player including the top ones have taken the vaccine, it does show Djokovic in a poorer light.
Why? Please dont mind but people like us including you and me have ordinary careers just like every other Joe. But people like Djokovic can succeed only when they work extra-ordinary hard with their lives devoted to only one goal and that is to become a champ. It is too early to declare Djokovic to be wrong on the vaccination issue and when he himself is paying the price (an exorbitant price for him) then why in poorer light?
Quote:
That he is ready to forego the future titles in lieu of not taking the vaccine, that’s the choice he is making. We, as tennis loving folks will definitely miss good tennis, should Djokovic indeed sticks to his stance
Definitely agree with you there. His game is on another level. I will miss it in grand slams.
Quote:
but I hope good sense prevails and he agrees to take the jab for the betterment of larger human good. Something tells me that the title of the greatest ever tennis player will be too much to forego in lieu of not taking the vaccine in the name of individual choice
Again, How tough would have been for Djokovic to make this decision!

Though I am against covid jabs but still I think it would have been more prudent for Djokovic to get jabbed(as jabs carry very low risks) to persue the ultimate glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Perhaps he won't miss out on too many slams. If this pandemic is really over and cases continue to decline the way they are now, it's quite possible that at most the next or next two major events will require players to be vaccinated and after that they will stop asking. Missing even one slam is a big deal true, especially when an athlete is at their peak, but still, it might not be more than another event. Time will tell.
I wish it may turn out indeed as you are saying.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 20:57   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
But people like Djokovic can succeed only when they work extra-ordinary hard with their lives devoted to only one goal and that is to become a champ. It is too early to declare Djokovic to be wrong on the vaccination issue and when he himself is paying the price (an exorbitant price for him) then why in poorer light?
I may be an average Joe but I too work equally hard in what I do and I might say that for you as well but may be there is nothing extra ordinary in that. Precisely for your point of being us being average Joe, doesn’t require us to be role models. Djokovic on the other hand has worked extra ordinarily hard to get to the position he is in and he is a champion in every sense.

A champion like him should be a role model and they have responsibilities towards their followers. A Roger Federer is loved by people for precisely the reason that he is a perfect role model for anyone who is interested in tennis. Djokovic is a champion and he could have avoided all this hoopla surrounding the vaccination and concentrated on tennis only. Of course, this view is from a average Joe like me only !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 11:51   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Without judging Djokovic's stand on Covid vaccination, it must be said that he stand to lose much much more than we can even imagine. At his age and considering his form it is entirely possible that he will win few more grand slams in the next two years and after that age will eventually catch up with him.
So I feel sad that it has come to this that some of us will suffer indirectly due to Covid!
Taking a vaccine is his choice and I feel Djokovic should not be derided over his stance. I am a Rafa fan and I would say people should not judge Djokovic for this and should be let to play but government mandates are mandates.

But the point we are missing here is he was deported on other technicalities which came up during his hearing. He had got a medical exemption that he was affected with COVID just a month before Australian Open and had filed a positive report dated December 15th along with his documents indicating he may not need a vaccine because of this. He was seen attending a Children's event on December 16th and had given an interview to some journalist on December 17th. This raised suspicions if his COVID report was indeed a valid one and why he did not isolate himself when positive and put others including kids at risk.

In his travel documents, he did not mention his travel history to Spain or other countries. When questioned during the hearing, he threw his manager under the bus. The final deportation was also because he lied in this travel documents and this is not expected from a role model like him. This sealed the deal and his deportation was inevitable post these facts. The Australian Tennis Federation should have cleared things out with all regulatory authorities before bringing him in. It was they who messed up things and the government was well within its rights to deport him post all this.

Australia particularly Melbourne had very stringent lockdowns and guidelines and people protested at the elitist treatment given to Djokovic being the celebrity he is and common man had to suffer all mandates prevalent before the tournament.

Last edited by whencut86 : 16th February 2022 at 12:00. Reason: correction
Old 23rd March 2022, 08:27   #365
Team-BHP Support

World no. 1, Ashleigh Barty is retiring!

Quote:
World no. 1 Ashleigh Barty announced on Wednesday she was retiring from professional tennis after winning three major singles titles in the last three years.
Quote:
"It's something I've been thinking about for a long time," Barty said in the clip. After winning Wimbledon last year, which she described as "the one true dream that I wanted in tennis," she got a "gut feeling" that only strengthened after she won this year's Australian Open.

Those victories were "my perfect way to celebrate what an amazing journey my tennis career has been," she said. "As a person, this is what I want. I want to chase after some other dreams that I've always wanted to do.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/22/s...hnk/index.html

She'd taken a break in 2014 from tennis to play cricket; and got back in 2017.

What's good about this is that she's (hopefully) not forced to retire due to physical/mental health reasons but because she wants to try out something new.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd March 2022 at 08:33.
Old 23rd March 2022, 15:22   #366
BHPian

I have been following the world of Tennis since last 35 years and I haven't heard anything like this before. Closest that comes to my mind is the retirement of Bjorn Bjorg at the age of 26. This is really shocking for me!
Old 23rd March 2022, 15:51   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Closest that comes to my mind is the retirement of Bjorn Bjorg at the age of 26.
Whether for good or bad, incidents such as this and Osaka's struggles show just how immensely perseverant and singularly focussed the likes of the Williams sisters, Federer and Nadal have been to grind it through for decades. And not just exist as players but be at the very top.

Incredible truly. Again, taking nothing away from those who haven't stuck around for so long.

That said, it'd be foolish to brush away the impact of the last two years, and the increased spotlight and scrutiny that social media/internet have brought about.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 13:34   #368
BHPian

Madrid Open 2022

19 year-old Carlos Alcaraz takes out his compatriot and idol Rafael Nadal in 3 sets to setup a semifinal clash against Novak Djokovic. He is now the youngest semifinalist in the tournament history.

News Link

Last edited by Emvi : 7th May 2022 at 13:37.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 19:14   #369
BHPian

Carlos Alcaraz defeats Novak Djokovic in 3 hard fought sets to reach the final of Madrid Open. Alcaraz becomes the first player to beat both Nadal and Djokovic at the same clay court tournament.

Alcaraz definitely seems to be a player to watch out for this season!

News Link
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 03:05   #370
BHPian

I watched three matches to near completion this week. That does not normally happen. Tennis matches are long, and life has demands. But when compelled for something, you make time. That’s what Carlos Alcaraz compelled me to do this week. Make time to watch him play against the greatests of all time, and type this post out. In one week. Back to back. He won a Masters level tournament that those goats have made their own, like it wasn’t crazy. Like he has always done that. Like it was normal.

We are watching evolution at play. Maybe a couple of (currently active) players will give him trouble, like Medvedev, and I’d love to see them play each other in the US open, but we are seeing the true successor to the big 3.

The others, like Zverev, Tsitsipas etc. have no chance. They’re players with a few very good attributes, and mediocre others. Snowflakes in front of this hard battle warrior. I expected Zverev to fold like a pack of cards today. Alcaraz’s ferocity, the belief, and the hunger are hammers of submission. Serious TDKR Bane and KFP Tai Lung vibes.

He plays well, is enjoyable to watch on court, audacious, battles like a warrior, has the most fun trick drop shot of all time and, most importantly, he makes you want to watch and root for him. He’s already got his own chant.

Carlos Alcaraz has snatched the torch.

Bravo.
ach1lles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 10:11   #371
Senior - BHPian

Alcaraz’s drop shot: When audacity meets playfulness (Source: The Indian Express)

Quote:
The growing reputation of his blistering shots that hit the lines, his early aggression in matches and the last split-second change of shape and grip to pull off the well-disguised shot have conspired to psyche opponents. It has also made the 19-year-old break records, beat legends and be counted among the favourites for the French Open starting later this month.

Such is the strength, and the dread, of his monstrous strikes that the rivals spent most of the match well behind the baseline. And since there are no obvious clues to the drop shots he conjures, it is tough even for the likes of Djokovic and Nadal to read them.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 00:36   #372
BHPian

French Open 2022

Rafael Nadal defeats Felix Augur-Aliassime in a tough 5 setter 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 to set up a quarter-final clash against Novak Djokovic. A blockbuster matchup on cards!
Old 1st June 2022, 08:10   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
French Open 2022
A blockbuster matchup on cards!
Nadal wins the battle royale in 4 enthralling sets 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, 7-6. Next up in semis is the 3rd seed Alexander Zverev who prevailed in 4 sets against teenage sensation Carlos Alcaraz in the last 8.
Emvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 08:16   #374
BHPian

Sad to miss what was virtually the final of the tournament between two greatest players.
Anyway Nadal who is my favorite defeated Djoker who I consider to be the best player ever.
Hopefully Nadal wins the tournament and puts some distance between him & Nole in the race to be the GOAT!
neeraj0272 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 12:10   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Nadal wins the battle royale in 4 enthralling sets 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, 7-6.
That second set was one for the ages. Almost 90 minutes for that set alone.
French open brings some kind of additional energy to Nadal. After a grueling 5 setter in the 4th round, he still had enough gas to tackle the Nole. Loved it
mailbalaji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed