Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 15:39   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Tennis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
You guys foresee Rafa and Fedex to win more Grand Slam titles? Somehow, I think they may not. Maybe Rafa will manage another French Open, but that's it I guess.
Agree, Roger Federer is pushing forty and as much as we love to see him play, younger players will push him. It was sad seeing Roger lose a set without getting a game some days back and that too on grass !!

Rafael Nadal could have added more slams till now but for his many surgeries. That he is still able to play is an achievement in itself but that’s about it I guess. Novak should add more slams from here on and the calendar slam is a real possibility now unless someone plays spoilsport.

Having seen the glorious days of tennis over the years from Ivan Landle, Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg, Pat Cash, André Agassi, Jim Courier, Micheal Stich, Goran Ivanisevic, Micheal Chang, Pete Sampras, Marat Safin to this trio of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, I don’t see a name worth reckoning from the new generation of players. May be a Berettini would come up for he has the game to match the lofty standards, let’s see.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 12th July 2021 at 15:47.
Old 4th August 2021, 09:27   #257
BHPian

The showman- Mansour Bahrami and his bag of tricks. Incredible player!

Biography

Last edited by Emvi : 4th August 2021 at 09:52. Reason: 2nd YouTube link added
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 18:29   #258
BHPian

Roger Federer opts out of US OPEN, to undergo knee surgery.

Newslink
Old 4th September 2021, 22:32   #259
BHPian

Interesting news from US OPEN.

Both men's and women's No.3 ranked players have been knocked out of the tournament in the third round. Not just that, coincidentally both of them lost to teenaged opponents and both the matches went the distance!!

In the men's third round match, 18 year old Spaniard, Carlos Alcaraz edged out Stefanos Tsitsipas in a 5-set thriller 6-3, 4-6, 7-6, 0-6, 7-6.

18 year old Canadian, Leylah Fernandez trounced Naomi Osaka in a 3-set battle 5-7, 7-6, 6-4 in the women's third round encounter.

Coincidence at its very best!

Last edited by Emvi : 4th September 2021 at 22:41.
Old 6th September 2021, 12:02   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Not just that, coincidentally both of them lost to teenaged opponents and both the matches went the distance!
The dream run continues for the teenagers as both reach their respective quarter finals.

Leylah Fernandez takes out former world No.1 Angelique Kerber in 3 sets in the 4th round- 4-6, 7-6, 6-2.

Carlos Alcaraz prevailed in a tough 5-setter against Peter Gojowczyk of Germany 5-7, 6-1, 5-7, 6-2, 6-0 in the 4th round match.

Meanwhile, unseeded American Shelby Rogers handed a shock defeat to women's current World No.1 Ashleigh Barty 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 in the 3rd round encounter.
Old 6th September 2021, 13:12   #261
Senior - BHPian

I hope Novak gets his calendar slam and settles the GOAT debate once and for all. Because the any of these guys will soon take over from next year: Medvedev, Zverev, Alcaraz, Tsitipas, Berettini, Auger-Aliassime or just about anyone.
Old 9th September 2021, 10:20   #262
BHPian

Djokovic reaches the last 4 defeating Berrettini in 4 sets. The only match that he won in straight sets in this edition was the 2nd round encounter against the big serving Dutch, Tallon Griekspoor.
Old 9th September 2021, 15:46   #263
Mik
BHPian

While the other two are kind of breaking down, Djoker is still fresh as a daisy and bringing in new elements to his game - serve and volley, a much more aggressive forehand and a serve which keeps getting better.
He has mastered percentage tennis when not playing well.
Andy Roddick tweeted recently
"First he takes your legs, and then he takes your soul"
How apt
I see him going well past 25 slams.
That being said, I hope he wins this one. The target will be off his back.
Old 9th September 2021, 16:15   #264
BHPian

As a club level tennis player, I am glad to see this thread here. Was reading through some of the initial posts and realise how wrong most of us (if not all) were about comparisons of Nadal to Federer (post his 2008 Wimbledon victory) and later Djokovic to Federer. Everyone predicted Nadal winning some majors and then his body would break down. Most said Djokovic did not have the mental fortitude to stay at the top. How spectacularly these two proved their critics wrong about their "weaknesses".

I say without any hesitation that Federer is my all time favourite just by the way he plays the game. Numbers back up the skill and commitment to the game. However, one cannot ignore that Nadal and Djokovic are probably statistically better than Federer and what we have witnessed over the last two decades with these three guys dominating is something that may not happen in a long time.

I want Djokovic to win the US Open and complete the true Grand Slam. A small part of me hopes that they all remain at 20 Majors each and let the debate rage on forever. That is a biased Federer fan that is deeply ingrained in me I suppose.
anandavinash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 08:55   #265
BHPian

Giant killer and teenage sensation, Leylah Fernandez dumps world no.2 Aryna Sabalenka out of the US open in 3 sets to reach her maiden Grand Slam final!
Scoreline- 7-6, 4-6, 6-4

In all likelihood, Leyhah is set to meet British Teenager, Emma Radacanu in the finals. Radacanu is currently leading 6-1, 4-2 against Sakkari in the semis. Battle of the Teenagers for the US Open crown pretty much on the cards!
Old 10th September 2021, 09:42   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
... Battle of the Teenagers for the US Open crown pretty much on the cards!
And so it is, for the first time since Hingis Vs. Williams (Serena) in 1999, two teenagers in the final!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 08:07   #267
BHPian

World No.2 Daniil Medvedev eased into the final with a straight sets victory over Felix Augur Aliassime- 6-4, 7-5, 6-2.

Meanwhile in the other semifinal, Djokovic and Zverev have taken the battle to the decider. This is probably one of the toughest grandslam paths Djokovic has ever traversed. Djokovic is currently playing his 25th set(all the rounds combined) in the tournament!!

Last edited by Emvi : 11th September 2021 at 08:09.
Old 11th September 2021, 08:40   #268
BHPian

Djokovic wins!!
Now one step away from a major piece of tennis history. It is No.1 versus No.2 for the US open title.

Last edited by Emvi : 11th September 2021 at 08:43.
Old 11th September 2021, 08:49   #269
Senior - BHPian

Yeah it was a tough match even though none of the sets went beyond 10 games. Zverev just seems to be coming up a bit short on the big points. He definitely has the game. Lets see what Medvedev does in the final. He's fresher of the two going into the final, but Novak is gunning for history and Medvedev has nothing to lose.
Old 12th September 2021, 04:31   #270
BHPian

Emma Radacanu wins the US Open crown defeating Leylah Fernandez in straight sets- 6-4, 6-3. She is the first ever qualifier to win a Grand Slam trophy, remarkably she has achieved the feat without dropping even a single set in the entire tournament including the qualifiers!

Last edited by Emvi : 12th September 2021 at 04:52. Reason: Better wording

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks