Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2024, 22:38   #7666
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Anybody know how to format team-bhp posts in fixed width font? I am trying to annotate character positions in chassis & engine number formats and its impossible to do without using a fixed width font like courier.
Old 23rd May 2024, 09:45   #7667
Senior - BHPian

When I click on any of the Hot Threads listed at the bottom of a webpage, it usually directs me to that particular post in the forum. But at times (even while logged in), it takes me to the corresponding news article, from where I have to click on 'View forum discussion' as I prefer reading on the forum page. First, why is it so?

Second, on desktop, it's not an inconvenience as the redirect button is positioned both before and after the body text. But on mobile website, the button is placed only after the main text, so I have to scroll down long posts to get back to reading on forum. Any workaround for this?

Last edited by self_driven : 23rd May 2024 at 09:46.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 11:19   #7668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post

But on mobile website, the button is placed only after the main text, so I have to scroll down long posts to get back to reading on forum. Any workaround for this?
This was suggested a while back, but it impacted SEO hence was rolled back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Definitely feel you here. In fact several months back this was suggested here and we did make the change.

However, for some reason it really affected Google's affinity for our News articles (esp on the Discover feed) - and hence we had to roll back the change
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 14:58   #7669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I click on any of the Hot Threads listed at the bottom of a webpage, it usually directs me to that particular post in the forum. But at times (even while logged in), it takes me to the corresponding news article, from where I have to click on 'View forum discussion' as I prefer reading on the forum page. First, why is it so?

Second, on desktop, it's not an inconvenience as the redirect button is positioned both before and after the body text. But on mobile website, the button is placed only after the main text, so I have to scroll down long posts to get back to reading on forum. Any workaround for this?
I feel the same! However, it’s understandable why it can’t be implemented on mobile.

I have a workaround which works as long as I don’t clear the cookies. If I do, just have to repeat these steps again.

Select “request desktop version” in your mobile browser (can also enable always for this site). Then go to any section page or thread, scroll right down to the bottom, and select the theme “BHP Smartphone” from the drop down at the bottom left. This way, the forum sections and posts load in a mobile friendly layout while rest of the site loads the desktop version. And yes, you then get the “take me to the post” button right at the top on a news article.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 23rd May 2024 at 15:00.
Dry Ice is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 16:43   #7670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I have a workaround which works as long as I don’t clear the cookies. If I do, just have to repeat these steps again.
For some reason, the Hot Threads are back to normal now, i.e. opening as forum posts. So I tried going to T-BHP News section and opening some news articles from there. Surprisingly, even these links are now directed to the forum posts instead of showing up as articles.

Ps. I am yet to try your desktop site workaround.
Old 30th May 2024, 06:35   #7671
Senior - BHPian

Mods, I'm seeing some really (visually) disturbing ads on the forum these days. I've turned off ad personalisation so the report ad option doesn't seem to work properly. Is there any other solution for this?

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-img_1923.jpeg
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 09:25   #7672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mods, I'm seeing some really (visually) disturbing ads on the forum these days. I've turned off ad personalisation so the report ad option doesn't seem to work properly. Is there any other solution for this?

Attachment 2610646
Not just Team-BHP. It is all across other platforms like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and even outside websites when accessed at the workplace.

They seem to be carpet bombing everywhere. Have reported the advert on Ads by Google everytime I see it. Though have to say am now seeing more tyre adverts and local adverts in the TeamBHP.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 10:27   #7673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mods, I'm seeing some really (visually) disturbing ads on the forum these days...
I also encountered many Political Election campaign Ads. Since Team-BHP is strict on Political discussions these kind of Ads should not be displayed here.
Old 30th May 2024, 10:35   #7674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I also encountered many Political Election campaign Ads. Since Team-BHP is strict on Political discussions these kind of Ads should not be displayed here.
I am not sure Team BHP has any particular role in it, as ad preferences are displayed based on user’s browsing history.
Old 30th May 2024, 10:44   #7675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx100 View Post
I am not sure Team BHP has any particular role in it, as ad preferences are displayed based on user’s browsing history.
No, they will have control over what to display and what not to in category-based selection. However, the downside is if everyone shares their preference to avoid certain ads, eventually there won't be any ads left to display.

If not, they should introduce a premium option like YouTube. For monthly subscription users, there shouldn't be any ads. That would be a good idea.
Old 30th May 2024, 11:16   #7676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
No, they will have control over what to display and what not to in category-based selection. However, the downside is if everyone shares their preference to avoid certain ads, eventually there won't be any ads left to display.
Using the forum on Brave, Duck Duck Go and similar browsers will help ensure an ad free experience. Been doing that for a while now.

I encounter these ads only when I use Chrome.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 11:19   #7677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Using the forum on Brave, Duck Duck Go and similar browsers will help ensure an ad free experience. Been doing that for a while now.

I encounter these ads only when I use Chrome.
True, even in Chrome, if you use certain extensions, these ads will not appear. I am using it that way, but I didn't want to suggest it on the forum as it may cause a decline in revenue for the team.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 16:36   #7678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx100 View Post
... ad preferences are displayed based on user’s browsing history.
If that's true then it should never happen. I don't read or watch any political related news in my desktop. Politics are strictly on X (Twitter) Mobile and I don't open Team-BHP on my mobile. My only grouse is with Political Ads in Team-BHP where politics is otherwise not entertained.
Old 5th June 2024, 22:00   #7679
BHPian

I'm not sure if this is a new change, or if I never noticed this, but the percentages don't add up. Even when it is multiple selections allowed, the total percentage should add up to 100%.
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot-20240605-9.54.088239pm.png
Old 5th June 2024, 22:16   #7680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
I'm not sure if this is a new change, or if I never noticed this, but the percentages don't add up. Even when it is multiple selections allowed, the total percentage should add up to 100%.
Total voters 236 and 199 people chose first option. That is 84.32% of total voters.
rx100 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks