Old 12th November 2021, 11:03   #7246

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Can we do away with the minimum character count in the search bar. It is sometimes counterproductive. I think anything less than 3 characters is rejected - it should allow at least two characters.

Also permit smart searches if possible like “BMW AND X5”. Or “X3 AND Q5” - you get the drift.

For instance, if I want to create a thread search (search titles) for the phrase X5 specifically, it should ideally be allowed. But I have to search only BMW and everything BMW then pops up instead of the more focused X5 results which could have been possible had the shorter search been permitted.

Thank you.

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th November 2021 at 11:04.
Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 11:24   #7247
One

Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Can we do away with the minimum character count in the search bar. It is sometimes counterproductive. I think anything less than 3 characters is rejected - it should allow at least two characters.
What a coincidence, faced a similar issue recently. The issue is that there are two search methods running here:
  • At the root level right at the top, we have the excellent Google Baba
  • All other options like search within threads, titles only etc. are using search method of the forum platform which will have its restrictions

The first is excellent, in the second method we might have to live with its restrictions.

Also permit smart searches if possible like “BMW AND X5”. Or “X3 AND Q5” - you get the drift.

For instance, if I want to create a thread search (search titles) for the phrase X5 specifically, it should ideally be allowed. But I have to search only BMW and everything BMW then pops up instead of the more focused X5 results which could have been possible had the shorter search been permitted.

Thank you.
This you can almost achieve today with decent results with the first method. So if you use the first method of search and just enter "X5", the Google search is intelligent enough to prioritise the threads which have X5 in the title. See the screenshot below. This sometimes has its limitations when we want to drill down within a thread, but for the two specific instances you highlighted, it is a decent workaround.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot_20211112112011.jpg
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 19:21   #7248

Can't even search for VW. On a motoring forum, that is a bit daft!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 19:57   #7249

Thank you.
In similar vein, being able to search FE OR Fuel Economy OR Fuel effeciency OR Fuel Consumption, for a given thread too would be great.

For me, one of the most reliable ways to get to know real world FE of a vehicle is to check on threads, which is rather tedious, and often to the extent of avoiding it.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 20:39   #7250

Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
For me, one of the most reliable ways to get to know real world FE of a vehicle is to check on threads, which is rather tedious, and often to the extent of avoiding it.
Especially with "FE", its going to be difficult - we, by default, use FE instead of fuel efficiency - and TBHP search needs minimum of 3 letters in the key-word

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
@TEG, same with VW
Old 12th November 2021, 21:34   #7251

@TEG, same with VW
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Originally Posted by One View Post
What a coincidence, faced a similar issue recently.
it should allow at least two characters.

Guys, two letter word searches are possible by the wild search option.

E.g. for FE, do *FE* and you'll get all results with 'FE' in it. Unfortunately you'll also get 'fertilizer', 'affected' and so on.

As for BMW and X5, search for *BMW*&*X5* and you'll get threads (/posts) with BMW and X5 in it. Similarly a search requirement for BMW and 530d can be done as BMW&530d (without the wild card search).

Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
In similar vein, being able to search FE OR Fuel Economy OR Fuel effeciency OR Fuel Consumption, for a given thread too would be great.

It's possible. Putting the search function Audi OR Jeep will give you all the results containing Audi or Jeep. Similarly for your requirement, searching for "fuel economy" OR "fuel efficiency" will get you posts containing 'fuel economy' or 'fuel efficiency'.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Just fyi for all
Basic Search Syntax
Search multiple words use Boolean operators such as:
- AND (ex. ajax&instant)
- OR (ex. ajax OR instant)
- NOT (ex. ajax NOT instant) or use the minus sign (-) (ex. ajax -instant)
Search for an exact phrase using quotes:
- (ex. "instant email")
Search for wild cards using asterisks (*)
- (ex. *mail)
source

Last edited by Aditya : 13th November 2021 at 05:00. Reason: As requested
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 23:36   #7252

One suggestion from my side. Can we extend the "Introduce Yourself" to "About Yourself" and allow periodical updation, say every two years or so. I feel Team-BHP would be there for our entire lifetime and many more years to come and people and their way of life would change. If ever someone wants to update his thread he maybe given an opportunity, so that we could get to know others well.

Also observed a thing that the "Introduce Yourself" thread from many years ago had many replies and many interactions. I think, one of the reasons why it got depleted is due to rule that one cannot post one liners and also people have become much more formal. I think we could have a separate "About Yourself" thread and let it be visible and interactable only for members.
Old 14th November 2021, 08:04   #7253

Was our site down for a while yesterday afternoon? I couldn't access it for a long time and when poked around, came across this.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot_20211113141706941_com.android.chrome.jpg

What happened?
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 15:31   #7254

Mods, I've had the site down for two days on different Wi-Fi networks. Request you to look into it.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-smartselect_20211115001533_brave.jpg
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 18:14   #7255

With so many threads across multiple topic, I was wondering if there is merit in building "word cloud" for each topic/thread.
This could server as a very high level summary of the topic/thread.
And if we can monitor this over time, it could be a proxy for change in opinions.

Dinesh
Old 25th November 2021, 18:15   #7256

Re: Airtel, Vi have announced new tariffs | Time to queue recharges

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...recharges.html (Airtel, Vi have announced new tariffs | Time to queue recharges)

Does TeamBHP really need to cover news such as this?
Are we not deviating from what the forum is meant for?
Is this is a part of a news that needs to be on the home page of an automotive forum rather than threads that are actually related to cars or bikes?

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th November 2021 at 18:23.
Kalash_6324 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 11:32   #7257

Re: Airtel, Vi have announced new tariffs | Time to queue recharges

Originally Posted by Kalash_6324 View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...recharges.html (Airtel, Vi have announced new tariffs | Time to queue recharges)

Does TeamBHP really need to cover news such as this?
Are we not deviating from what the forum is meant for?
Is this is a part of a news that needs to be on the home page of an automotive forum rather than threads that are actually related to cars or bikes?
Any forum dedicated to any form of interest does have a section for "Anyting Else" or "Shifting Gears" or "Off-Topic" or "Others" or "Miscellaneous" to cover topics other than what the forum is focussed on.

TBHP is no different; and I personally have no objections to these things.

In case you did not notice, this topic was posted in "Shifting Gears" which is specifically meant for other topics.

This being on the home page - that is something I do not have an opinion on.

tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 19:43   #7258

Not sure if this belongs here:

Which threads are read or unread show up incorrectly in my subscriptions. Threads I might not have viewed show up as read. Threads I have read (and even have the last post to) show up as unread. This even after a complete refresh of the subscription page (Ctrl+F5). It is not that they never update. Just that they update incorrectly.

Is this some technical limitation I'm not aware of, or some setting in my browser/comp+phone? It happens both on Android and PC.

Are others too facing this issue?

Posted it here, so that in case others too are facing the issue, they too can point it out, and that could be helpful for the mods to know. If the above isn't an issue at my system's end, mods please look into it.
Old 12th December 2021, 01:04   #7259

If possible, can members be suggested to use Indian decimal system instead of american system eg. 10,00,000 instead of 1,000,000 or lakhs instead of million. Use of rupees instead of dollars.

We are terrible in teaching others about us but easily adopt culture of others. It would be a small step in right direction.
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 09:40   #7260

Regarding editing of posts:
The present setup allows editing of posts till up to 30 minutes after they are posted. One issue with this is that after someone reads a post, it gets edited but they never get to know about it, unless they happen to re-read that post. On some occasions, posts have been edited to add much more information compared to what was originally there.

Suggestion:
Do not show the post in the thread until the editing window is closed. Till then show a preview to the poster with their reply added to the thread, if the poster changes their mind they can edit their post. If needed, the edit window can be reduced to 10 or 15 minutes as well, along with the above change. Thus, there is only one final version of a post on a thread. Whereas the poster still has the opportunity to edit their post for a reasonable time.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks