Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2021, 07:21   #7126
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Recently I'd PM'ed a member, but his Inbox was full to its maximum capacity, eventually the message failed to be delivered.

May I suggest our Support/ Dev team to create a 'POKE' button or facility that would be handy in such cases just to draw his attention without going further to quote him in a post.

Thanks

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 20th May 2021 at 07:34. Reason: Correction
Dr.Vikas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 08:53   #7127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
May I suggest our Support/ Dev team to create a 'POKE' button or facility that would be handy in such cases just to draw his attention without going further to quote him in a post.
Then we'd need a "I don't want to be poked" setting as well. In which case we're back to square one but with a degraded UX for a bunch of members.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 09:08   #7128
BANNED

Instead we can have an auto delete in 10 days feature for the "You have been Quoted", and "Post Edited" messages; just like Gmail, Outlook etc keep on auto-cleaning the spam folder. These messages actually add nil to minimal value, and just deleting them will probably save some memory at server end too.

A majority part of our PM boxes are these two messages mostly. I clean my PM folder once a week, and it's normally at least 20 of them. 10 days sounds reasonable too, because any BHPian who is active enough, will definitely visit the forum once in 10 days at least, and anyone who isn't bothered about them is any way isn't bothered!
VKumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 10:31   #7129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Instead we can have an auto delete in 10 days feature for the "You have been Quoted", and "Post Edited" messages
For "You've been quoted", you could just visit your control panel, go to Edit Notifications section, and select "No" for "Receive a PM when quoted".

Posts being edited is an admin action that is much rarer than being quoted, so those messages don't bother me.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 10:48   #7130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Then we'd need a "I don't want to be poked" setting as well. In which case we're back to square one but with a degraded UX for a bunch of members.
Hmm, considering all such possible 'ifs & buts', a suitable and viable solution may be achieved.
I think, there should be adequate memory left to receive at least few messages anytime.
Old 20th May 2021, 11:58   #7131
BHPian

I feel, the limit of 250 private messages should be increased to say for at the least 500, for 10+ year old members. There are informative messages we received from members during years past, we would like to hold onto. Lots of references and contacts which could NOT be shared on the thread would be shared in the private mail box.

I hope mods/admins heed to this genuine need.
JMaruru is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 17:57   #7132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I feel, the limit of 250 private messages should be increased to say for at the least 500, for 10+ year old members. ...
Or, maybe, for everyone?

This looks like a default restriction which dates back to an age when storage was more scarce and expensive than it is now. I don't think there is any restriction on how many photos we can upload, and the text PMs would be tiny by comparison.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 18:12   #7133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Lots of references and contacts which could NOT be shared on the thread would be shared in the private mail box.
But why should these stay as PMs forever? If you've been sent someone contact details store it in a full-featured contact management app. If it is a link then a bookmark management system. A PDF file, then a library management app. And so on?

(Yeah yeah, that's a lot of apps. But an app meant for a certain type of content/data will often have features that makes it all worthwhile.)
Old 21st May 2021, 11:31   #7134
BHPian

Hi,

After iOS 14.5 update on iPhone 8, I am unable to open the app, it says "the developer needs to update it to work with this version of iOS"

Also, unable to find the app on App store as well.

Please help

Raj
Old 21st May 2021, 14:09   #7135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj.bhalla View Post
unable to find the app on App store
The team-BHP app has been unsupported for a long time now. Instead, the team put effort into making the web interface more suited to mobile use.

It's always a pain when this happens, and we have to change a long-established way of working but... it has to be done.
Old 21st May 2021, 16:08   #7136
BHPian

Would it be possible to view all the posts where a particular post has been quoted?

Sometime I see members' queries that I find interesting and they are answered a few pages later especially in threads that are active. I would like to see all those who have quoted the post and their suggestions.
anandhsub is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 20:57   #7137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Would it be possible to view all the posts where a particular post has been quoted?
Like a threaded view. Could be a nice feature, but I've not seen it in forum software, so probably not. Oh wait: DPReview, the camera site does something like that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 22:56   #7138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post

Sometime I see members' queries that I find interesting and they are answered a few pages later especially in threads that are active. I would like to see all those who have quoted the post and their suggestions.
+1 to this suggestion. I also once thought of requesting this but then found a post from a few years ago asking for the same feature which didn't elicit any response from the mods

However, one thing which can be done is that, for whichever post you require replies to, quote that post and in the text editor, select the text at the beginning which is something like [quote=anandhsub;5066965] and search for this using the forum's search feature.

I understand the above is not the most convenient method, especially for a smartphone user. Maybe a small icon can be added for this which directly searches using the above method, should not be very difficult to implement I believe.
PetrolheadRup is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 23:22   #7139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolheadRup View Post

However, one thing which can be done is that, for whichever post you require replies to, quote that post and in the text editor, select the text at the beginning which is something like QUOTE=anandhsub;5066965and search for this using the forum's search feature.
Oh wow. Didn't know this workaround exists. I access team bhp from the PC during the workday so will try it out.
anandhsub is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 02:19   #7140
BHPian

Even I feel this endless scrolling a little annoying and would like to revert to the page numbers format like earlier. However, if you wish to skip a few pages, try to go directly to the page by changing the page number in the browser's URL bar at the top (will be useful only if you know the specific page number), which I normally does even before this change.

For example, we are now on the 476th page of this thread and if you wish to go to 470th page, just replace "476" with "470" in the URL of the page (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...pians-470.html (Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians)) in your browser and load the page.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks