Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2021, 13:34   #7006
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Dear Mods.. there appears to be a typo in the title. Can you please check and rectify.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/2021-s...unveiled-feb-5
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 09:05   #7007
Senior - BHPian

Can we please have a 'dislike' or a 'meh' button? It'll just help people express their strong disagreement with a click rather than quoting a post for the sake of a 'correction.'

Alternate solution: Have a counter on how many times a post has been reported. The counter can be reset by admins if it is just for minor issues like spelling errors and spacing.
Old 2nd February 2021, 09:18   #7008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Can we please have a 'dislike' or a 'meh' button? It'll just help people express their strong disagreement with a click rather than quoting a post for the sake of a 'correction.'

Alternate solution: Have a counter on how many times a post has been reported. The counter can be reset by admins if it is just for minor issues like spelling errors and spacing.
1. Dislike button has been brought before, and discussed by Mod team. The decision was to not implement it.

2. Pls elaborate how this would help. Resetting such a counter by admins will increase the work load of the admins/moderators - who are already busy, doing the moderation while they are engaged in their regular life outside TBHP.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:33   #7009
BHPian

The 'Thanks' button is being misused. I understand that the intent of the feature was to indicate a useful post (pertaining to the matter being discussed). Off-topic jokes, political correctness and fanboy comments sometimes have more 'Thanks' than the actual, helpful posts. I suggest that the Mods consider other alternatives for this.
Old 2nd February 2021, 14:00   #7010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetraveller89 View Post
The 'Thanks' button is being misused. ... Off-topic jokes, political correctness and fanboy comments sometimes have more 'Thanks' than the actual, helpful posts. .
Again, this too has been discussed considerably by the Mods. Long back the Thanks had been enabled for all threads, after which the button was restricted to certain forums. More recently, based on suggestions from members, this was reviewed and extended to some more forums.

The thanks button is also an up-vote or agreement to another person's posts. Not all members have to think the same way. So what ever the content of a post, if another member thinks the same way, he can and uses this button/feature to express his sentiments. Often, it is used to just agree instead of adding another post with the same content as the original post in question.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 17:22   #7011
BHPian

Thank you for your response. Quoting from the "Announcements" thread -
Quote:
With a single click, you can now show your appreciation for any BHPian who has submitted a useful post.
So it is to be understood that a 'thanked' post might not necessarily be actually "useful" per se but just members patting the backs of their own and other members who they agree with, with sometimes no consideration given to the authenticity of the content in these posts.

Allow me to rephrase the above quoted sentence - "With a single click, you can now show your appreciation for any BHPian who you agree with or who has submitted a post that you think is useful".

I hope it is clear why this is a flawed feature, especially to an outsider to the forum just looking for credible information. Then of course, this is only a suggestion and not a pressing problem that needs dire attention.
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:24   #7012
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not just useful. It may be used to express your pleasure in a good travelogue, an interesting experience, approval of a fellow member's behaviour in a situation, their choice of dog or anything else that gives you pleasure or satisfaction.

There is no limit to the utility of the the <Thanks> button. That makes it a blunt tool, and anyone who seeks to use it with surgical accuracy is bound to be disappointed. That's the way it is, on this and many other forums.

It is also a matter for ongoing discussion on this and many other forums. Can/should it be turned into a spectrum of positive and negative reactions of different nature? Time will tell...
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:31   #7013
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Oftentimes one develops an interest in a certain topic or vehicle late (or later than the general populace on Team BHP).

One then happens to come upon a thread which in all probability is already many many (many) pages long.

One might not have (yet) sufficient interest to actually go through all those pages from the very beginning right up to the end.

But one might want to get quickly to the essence of the topic under discussion ... for example, for a new vehicle launch, the detailed photos, specs, dimensions, price, etc.

But with 100+ pages one is at a loss as to which specific page (or short range of pages) to turn to.

The topic is usually edited to proclaim, now launched at xyz rupees etc.

Is there a way to have a header post that gives a snapshot of the thread from a bird's eye view?

That would be hugely helpful.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:37   #7014
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The topic is usually edited to proclaim, now launched at xyz rupees etc.

Is there a way to have a header post that gives a snapshot of the thread from a bird's eye view?
Don't have a proper solution but the thread title can reflect the page number where critical details are mentioned that will help readers navigate.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:57   #7015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
One then happens to come upon a thread which in all probability is already many many (many) pages long. Is there a way to have a header post that gives a snapshot of the thread from a bird's eye view?
Quote:
But it also leads to a lot of posts that create a lot of noise around the topic. There are some members who's opinion are always spot on so cannot miss them even if they are not thanked for that particular post.
Quote:
Maybe, mods can enforce a new rule that condemns posting of those types of comments, which will make the thread full of solid information.
Very valid suggestions. I see that the same concerns have been posted by different members many times in this thread. Kindly consider a solution as per convenience.
Old 2nd February 2021, 21:26   #7016
BHPian

Team BHP Classifieds:

Can we have sorting of automobiles by State or City instead of Pincode? I don't mind cross-town shopping for second hand cars or bikes but I believe if I enter a pincode, the results that match are those within 150 kms of the provided pincode.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:56   #7017
BHPian

Team-BHP gets Citroen adverts

This is what I noticed when I logged into Team-BHP today morning.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-f5999c4fff5b4e33b278d3aa7d67abdf.png

This ad opens up the official Citroen.in website when clicked.

Would like to bring this to your attention, mods, since not permitting automobile ads is one of TBHP’s basic principles.

Last edited by EightSix : 3rd February 2021 at 08:57.
EightSix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:17   #7018
BHPian

Hi,
Is there anyway to edit your profile name. I had asked and messaged earlier to edit my profile name but got no response.
Old 3rd February 2021, 16:34   #7019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Is there anyway to edit your profile name.
No. But it is technically possible --- as far as I understand it, and my information is out of date.

I don't think even moderators can do it. You have to request it from those who have admin access to the data. Extra stuff on the workload: they might want you to have a good reason!

My advice: start by informing the team and making a request. You report your own post.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 18:22   #7020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
Is there anyway to edit your profile name. I had asked and messaged earlier to edit my profile name but got no response.
For practical reasons, will not be done. You have 238 posts, and some of these will be quoted and will have your handle in these. It will be a pain to do changes.

I myself have thought about this since I wanted another handle. IIRC, I have asked the same question regarding my id.

One option is to re-register, and start afresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
Would like to bring this to your attention, mods, since not permitting automobile ads is one of TBHP’s basic principles.
Thank you, EightSix. There were also some Maruti car ad's and these will be checked.

Last edited by condor : 3rd February 2021 at 18:23.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks