Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2016, 15:06   #6136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Commitment to maintain Team-BHPs QUALITY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Virus alert (?)

I have been getting a virus alert for the last 3-4 days, every time I login to Team-BHP forum. This is observed on all possible browsers and on Windows and Mac OS both. Can we please check this?

Attachment 1538411
Speaking as a guy who does security for a living .. first, this is the first I've seen of this detect, so I will have to dig deeper before I can comment in further detail, but here are a few preliminary opinions.

Moat is a node.js script for, as far as I can see, an IoT framework - and at least some sites that track malware appear to associate it with phish, possibly because poorly maintained node.js installs are quite likely to be hacked into and exploited. (Just like most anything else online - php content management systems, wordpress blogs etc etc)

https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=135435 appears to track at least one other individual reporting a false positive with regards to this.

TBHP's sysadmins might be the best to determine whether this is being served up as part of your ads (in which case raise this with your ad vendor network Doubleclick - which is quite reputable, worldwide and should have the resources to sort it out), or as part of a node.js deployment on your site.

Meanwhile, if some kind soul can paste the exact full error (copy and paste from your fortinet logs instead of a screenshot) I will dig deeper with some of my contacts who are more into web mailware threats than I am and should be able to say for sure what this is, a genuine threat or a false positive, but on a script that has security issues.

Request - tbhp sysadmin folks, OP who raised the issue, please take further discussion to PM and I'll share my email - it'll be easier that way.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 11:19   #6137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Speaking as a guy who does security for a living .. first, this is the first I've seen of this detect, so I will have to dig deeper before I can comment in further detail, but here are a few preliminary opinions.
Quote:
Bang on ! So shall I mark it as False Positive?
Yes, seems to be so!

A huge thanks to hserus - who wrote to Fortinet and received a confirmation that:

> The detection named JS/Moat.2081C96D!tr has been removed at 3/17/2016
Once your definitions update, do confirm if this is now resolved.

Thanks,
R
Old 9th August 2016, 11:24   #6138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Request - tbhp sysadmin folks, OP who raised the issue, please take further discussion to PM and I'll share my email - it'll be easier that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Yes, seems to be so!

Once your definitions update, do confirm if this is now resolved.

Thanks,
R
This is now resolved. Thanks everyone ! I tried it again on all browsers and I don't get any unnecessary pop-ups.
Old 9th August 2016, 11:46   #6139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is now resolved. Thanks everyone ! I tried it again on all browsers and I don't get any unnecessary pop-ups.
I'm glad this fp issue is fixed for you.
Old 9th August 2016, 12:29   #6140
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Suggestions:

1) Some threads like "polishing waxing guide" are 500+ pages long. This negatively affects the readability of the content in such threads. As soon as a thread (topic) reaches 100 pages, it should get a new sub-forum.

2) Perhaps separate sub-forums for individual car models? Right now, everything goes into "official review" thread and each one of them have thousands of posts.

By the way, yeah, I do realize that having too many sub-forums makes the FORUM page look messy. Any other ideas for making the content searchable/readable ought to be explored.

3) Some suggestions for "Indian Car Sales" threads -

a) Replace A, B1, C2 etc segment codes with easy to understand names like "Entry Hatchback", "Compact SUV", "Premium Sedan", "MUV" etc

b) Get rid of "Trends" graph. It's just a jumble of unreadable but colorful lines. Most car model monthly sales are NOT steady/stable.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-157433.jpg
Old 9th August 2016, 13:20   #6141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
1) Some threads like "polishing waxing guide" are 500+ pages long. This negatively affects the readability of the content in such threads. As soon as a thread (topic) reaches 100 pages, it should get a new sub-forum.
The idea that everything about X goes in The X Thread is fine while it remains of manageable/readable length. Sure, there's search, and even better, there is site:team-bhp.com in google, but still, some of those monster threads are daunting.
Old 9th August 2016, 13:51   #6142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The idea that everything about X goes in The X Thread is fine while it remains of manageable/readable length. Sure, there's search, and even better, there is site:team-bhp.com in google, but still, some of those monster threads are daunting.
This will put a little extra work on the mods but what they need to do is to pick up excellent points from the thread and periodically merge them into the first few posts. And periodically archive older posts in a mega thread.

I am not sure if they are already doing that.

The mods can't read each and every single post in the forum, so TBHP readers could possibly be encouraged to use the flag post option for this as well - to draw excellent posts to a mod's attention so he can update the thread, not just because he wants to report a breach of forum rules.
Old 11th August 2016, 09:54   #6143
BHPian

If we talk about having the important information on first couple of pages rather than on 1xx th page, a forum ranking / voting system can be implemented. All up-ranked / voted posts will line up one after the other in first couple of pages. Perfectly democratic!
Old 13th August 2016, 17:27   #6144
Senior - BHPian

The threads like "Auto Lighting Thread:Post all queries about automobile lighting here" have grown to more than 700 pages.

If I feel the need for better road illumination, it will be impractical to read more than 700 pages to reach conclusion. If I post a question and seek opinions of experts, it will result into duplication of contents.

Can there be a separate summary of such threads? After going through this summary, if the members still have queries, they can post the same.
Old 19th August 2016, 18:08   #6145
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh6481 View Post
i am like a proverbial teenager who is fascinated with all the things 'Team-BHP'. can i request if we can have more options in inventory.
Slow & steady, buddy. You'll see things coming up (we're indeed working on something right now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
One of the first things that attracted me to this forum is when I saw that references to high-speeds/rash driving are either being deleted or cut-out. This was refreshing to see and indeed it caused a change in myself as well.

Quote:
if we could do a Safety Month thing on T-Bhp.
Why Safety Month? Why not safety throughout the year?

We've been thinking of a dedicated Safety forum section. It'll definitely happen sometime.

Quote:
I'm glad this fp issue is fixed for you.
Thanks for all the help, hserus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Some threads like "polishing waxing guide" are 500+ pages long. This negatively affects the readability of the content in such threads. As soon as a thread (topic) reaches 100 pages, it should get a new sub-forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
some of those monster threads are daunting.
Quote:
This will put a little extra work on the mods but what they need to do is to pick up excellent points from the thread and periodically merge them into the first few posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Can there be a separate summary of such threads? After going through this summary, if the members still have queries, they can post the same.
I personally HATE 500 page monster threads, but for some topics, they're inevitable.

So what we do is, for topics of significance, we create detailed articles that have all the important stuff on the first page. This includes the car buying articles, what to do if your engine overheats on the road, detailing for dummies etc.

If you guys can think of any more topics, keep sharing .

Additionally, we've started moving important posts into their own independent threads - example

Quote:
Perhaps separate sub-forums for individual car models? Right now, everything goes into "official review" thread and each one of them have thousands of posts.
No man, not happening. That's like adding 100+ sub-forums. Too much clutter.

Quote:
Replace A, B1, C2 etc segment codes with easy to understand names like "Entry Hatchback", "Compact SUV", "Premium Sedan", "MUV" etc
The codes are now well accepted & easier to reference in posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
If we talk about having the important information on first couple of pages rather than on 1xx th page, a forum ranking / voting system can be implemented. All up-ranked / voted posts will line up one after the other in first couple of pages. Perfectly democratic!
The quora-like system does have its pros & cons. Can definitely revisit if we see a solid hack from Vbulletin.

One of the main issues I can think of is breaking the flow. Say, a review has 10 opening posts. If a scoop on the 3rd page gets upvoted, it'll end up between the interior & exterior posts!
Old 19th August 2016, 18:30   #6146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The quora-like system does have its pros & cons. Can definitely revisit if we see a solid hack from Vbulletin.

One of the main issues I can think of is breaking the flow. Say, a review has 10 opening posts. If a scoop on the 3rd page gets upvoted, it'll end up between the interior & exterior posts!
The closest thing to your requirements - and it seems configurable - is http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...233296&page=87

A plugin called "helpful answers".
Old 24th August 2016, 19:59   #6147
BHPian

I am planning a road trip to Ladakh with my friends in the month of september. i wouldnt be wrong to say that i have read almost all the Leh Travelogue and suggestion on Team-BHP. Off late, travelling to Ladakh has acquired a phenomenon in itself. This brings me to suggest the administrator if we can have a dedicated Ladakh travel forum. there are so many travelogues and route queries scattered over different forums that sometimes the relevant suggestions are lost in the information overload.
Old 25th August 2016, 12:04   #6148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The closest thing to your requirements - A plugin called "helpful answers".
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh6481 View Post
... there are so many travelogues and route queries scattered over different forums ....
Having a separate section for just 1 destination doesn't really make sense.

What you can do is really simple; just do a forum search for the word "ladakh", and ensure you check the "titles only" box.

Name:  Screenshot  20160825120200.png
Views: 301
Size:  34.8 KB

It'll give you all the relevant threads in one shot
Old 25th August 2016, 12:06   #6149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thanks!

Having a separate section for just 1 destination doesn't really make sense.

What you can do is really simple; just do a forum search for the word "ladakh", and ensure you check the "titles only" box.

Attachment 1546941

It'll give you all the relevant threads in one shot
Thanks a lot for this hack. though i did try Ladakh in search window but somehow missed onto 'title' part. And yes you are right; it doesnt make sense. thanks a lot once again
Old 26th August 2016, 12:30   #6150
Team-BHP Support

In Chrome on Android, QUOTE and QUOTE + buttons are invisible. I can see the THANKS button though.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot_20160826121239.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks