Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2024, 15:31   #5251
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

Hello Pancham, hope you're doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
So I have been eyeing a Rolex OP41 for a very long time. The OP41 seems impossible to get unless you have a good relationship with your authorised dealer - well, this was clearly communicated to me by my local Rolex authorised dealer.
Terribly arrogant of them!

You may consider Omega, or something by Tudor which makes very similar designs and is from the 'House of Rolex' if you will, should you want something like that.

Quote:
Back in the day I was a fan of Tags but they look too loud to me now.
In complete agreement with your take on current TAGs.

Quote:
Grand Seiko is also nice but I am not able to find something with clean and understated looks (that is why I like the OP41 range).
Strange as Grand Seiko makes usually clean design watches. Did you have a thorough look at their entire range?
If you do not care for brand you might consider something from the Citizen Tsuyosa series. They are very much Oyster Perpetual inspired.

Here is mine:

Which watch do you own?-img_0631.jpg

Which watch do you own?-img_0644.jpg

Which watch do you own?-img_0667.jpg

Which watch do you own?-img_0672.jpg

Hope you're enjoying your Jeep Compass : )

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th April 2024 at 22:20. Reason: No profanity please. Thanks.
Maky is online now   (11) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 29th April 2024, 21:07   #5252
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
For Omega, you can expect a fixed discount of about 8% at Ethos. All / most Omega options were available at 8% discount and nothing more than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
I was told the discounts were higher than 8% last year, I was offered much more than 8% at another Ethos branch(Phoenix) and on a Seamaster model, As a result Omega seems to have adjusted their max discount offered accordingly.
Omega used to have a discount of around 20% back in 2017-18 on some of their models! The Seamaster if I recollect used to cost around 2.2-2.3L back then. Prices have really shot through the roof now!
PPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 21:34   #5253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Grand Seiko is also nice but I am not able to find something with clean and understated looks (that is why I like the OP41 range).
Quote:

Strange as Grand Seiko makes usually clean design watches. Did you have a thorough look at their entire range?
Agree with Maky here. I actually find a lot of the Grand Seiko (GS) designs extremely understated. I was myself attracted to the one I picked up for similar reasons - it looked very classy and understated.

Do check out the Seasons collection (Winter version in particular) in the GS range perhaps. Also some others from Heritage and Elegance range have very subtle and classy dials.

If you feel their richly finished metal straps are too much, consider swapping it out with a leather strap to give it a more understated look. I myself was also considering the Rikka (Summer edition from the Seasons range) and had I gone for it I would have swapped the metal strap for a brown leather one.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 11:43   #5254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
In that range you are probably just looking at a Tissot or Longines. If however you were to bump up your budget, you could possibly look at the Omega Aqua Terra or something from Tudor.
Thanks a lot for your Longines suggestion. I quite like their watches. I am looking at Spirit line. I spoke to Ethos yesterday and they said they have an ongoing discount of 20% on Longines but for a limited time only. I love Tissot but I already have one.

Quote:
Hello Pancham, hope you're doing well.

Terribly arrogant of them!

You may consider Omega, or something by Tudor which makes very similar designs and is from the 'House of Rolex' if you will, should you want something like that.

In complete agreement with your take on current TAGs.

If you do not care for brand you might consider something from the Citizen Tsuyosa series. They are very much Oyster Perpetual inspired.
Hey Maky, hope you are doing well too. The Citizen Tsuyosa is an excellent suggestion. I have shortlisted it. Don’t think all the colours are available though. I will revisit the Grand Seiko range based on yours and Axe’s suggestion. Omega - Yes. I want to get the Moonwatch which I absolutely love. The prices have shot up quite a bit over the last year I think and that 8% discount is not helping.

Quote:

Hope you're enjoying your Jeep Compass : )
What do you think?

My Jeep thread has been quiet. So no news is always good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Do check out the Seasons collection (Winter version in particular) in the GS range perhaps. Also some others from Heritage and Elegance range have very subtle and classy dials.

If you feel their richly finished metal straps are too much, consider swapping it out with a leather strap to give it a more understated look. I myself was also considering the Rikka (Summer edition from the Seasons range) and had I gone for it I would have swapped the metal strap for a brown leather one.
On it, sir.

P.S; After 3.5 years, I think I am done with smart watches.

Last edited by Pancham : 1st May 2024 at 11:44.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 17:24   #5255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Maky, hope you are doing well too. The Citizen Tsuyosa is an excellent suggestion. I have shortlisted it. Don’t think all the colours are available though. I will revisit the Grand Seiko range based on yours and Axe’s suggestion.
I am sharing some Grand Seiko pieces for your reference. The circular lights are reflections from ceiling lights ignore.

Which watch do you own?-1.jpg

Which watch do you own?-1b.jpg

Which watch do you own?-2.jpg

Which watch do you own?-2b.jpg

Difficult to tell from pictures but please go visit the glorious GS pieces in person and see how you feel, although they are pricey. I also got feelers they might be willing to push beyond the 30% discount offered on the GS line, atleast these.

Also, sharing some Cartier examples if you are looking for a very elegant, classy and pure timeless design semi-sporty timepiece

Which watch do you own?-img_9548.jpg

Which watch do you own?-img_9545.jpg

Once again, the pictures are under non-ideal showroom lights. Visit in person and see how you feel : )
Maky is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 17:44   #5256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sharing some Grand Seiko pieces for your reference. The circular lights are reflections from ceiling lights ignore.

Difficult to tell from pictures but please go visit the glorious GS pieces in person and see how you feel, although they are pricey. I also got feelers they might be willing to push beyond the 30% discount offered on the GS line, atleast these.

: )
Great looking watches.

What do you guys think of IWC Pilot watches? The price range is very similar (slight higher though) to Grand Seiko.

I have not seen too many bhpians boasting IWCs here.
Old 1st May 2024, 18:24   #5257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great looking watches.

What do you guys think of IWC Pilot watches? The price range is very similar (slight higher though) to Grand Seiko.

I have not seen too many bhpians boasting IWCs here.
I personally have yet to like an IWC.
Maky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 18:59   #5258
BHPian

On a tangent: which watch has lasted you for over a decade? Two decades? In between? Older?

I've got 2 in the Decade and Two Decade ranges. And I cycle between these, and some newer ones, through the week.

One is a steel leather Fossil from 2006 which has its original internals including dial, glass, clockwork (the moving bits inside) and crown. Straps and batteries were changed as needed, much like Tyres and Fuel in a car. Fossil has done a fair job with service.

The other is a decade old Citizen Ecodrive which has never ever stopped ticking and never needed service.

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st May 2024 at 20:02.
anandbangalore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 19:06   #5259
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HIf you do not care for brand you might consider something from the Citizen Tsuyosa series.
How much does the Tsuyosa cost now? If I recollect they were available for 33k last year, personally loved the dial but did not quite like the bracelet & the clasp. Now I'm patiently waiting for some relative to fly down from USA so that I can order another Seiko Presage.
Old 1st May 2024, 19:08   #5260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
How much does the Tsuyosa cost now? If I recollect they were available for 33k last year, personally loved the dial but did not quite like the bracelet & the clasp. Now I'm patiently waiting for some relative to fly down from USA so that I can order another Seiko Presage.
It costs the same 33k.
I think there was brief sale earlier when it went down to 28k or 29k, but that's about it.
Maky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 21:50   #5261
Senior - BHPian

This is my 2015 Citizen EcoDrive Perpetual Calendar Grand Date square with sapphire glass. But after 9 years of usage, and some storage with couple of revivals by exposure to sunlight in between, this time the watch would not respond to light even after 2 days of bright sunlight. Thats not normal. I tried couple of Ecodrive "reset" methods found on the web but the second hand did not sweep. The battery must be toast, I thought. So before ordering a replacement battery just decided to open it up and check if everything "looked" alright inside, i.e., no leaks or other abnormalities.

So opened it up and everything looked ok except for a slight discolouration on the case and the back at one corner. No leaks or signs of water ingress. O ring on the caseback was good. With nothing else to do I popped off the battery and inserted it back after a while and VOILA the second hand started moving! It was moving as if it had full charge and was not jumping seconds. I think the battery got charged in two days of sunlight but somehow the movt was stuck/hung/frozen whatever. So gave the watch a mild cleaning around the edges and screwed everything back together. No more dark storage of ecodrives.

Caseback
Which watch do you own?-1.jpg

The lugs are part of the case back on this watch
Which watch do you own?-2.jpg

Movement, battery removed
Which watch do you own?-3.jpg

Panasonic CTL920F
Which watch do you own?-4.jpg

Cal E310, Quartz movement, no jewels
Which watch do you own?-5.jpg

Moment of joy when I found that second hand started moving
Which watch do you own?-6.jpg

On the wrist after setting the time and date (perpetual calendar)
Which watch do you own?-7.jpg
Sankar is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 07:12   #5262
Senior - BHPian

So I have been doing some lazy research for a daily wear and in addition to Maky and Axe’s recommendations, I asked around for Longines and IWC as well. They have 20% and 15% discounts, respectively at Ethos. I am yet to find the watch ‘I really want’.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_1055.png  

Which watch do you own?-img_1061.png  

Which watch do you own?-img_1059.png  

Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 08:04   #5263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to find the watch ‘I really want’.
May I suggest "KHAKI FIELD AUTO" by Hamilton? I have seen one in person and it looks stunning. Its an Automatic though.
Which watch do you own?-kingkhaki.jpg

Link

Last edited by download2live : 3rd May 2024 at 08:06.
download2live is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 12:35   #5264
BHPian

Quote:
So I have been doing some lazy research for a daily wear and in addition to Maky and Axe’s recommendations, I asked around for Longines and IWC as well. They have 20% and 15% discounts, respectively at Ethos. I am yet to find the watch ‘I really want’.
The Longines Spirit has a COSC certified chronometer and an reliable L888.4 movement. For the price and with this movement, this is the best bang for the buck compared to IWC. The IWC Pilot's watch Mark XX has a 32111 Calibre which is non-COSC certified and purely on this and price, Longines Spirit seems a better deal. There is a Longines Spirit Zulu GMT series also if you are interested and these are very good GMT movements and one of the best GMT movements in the market as well.

Agree that the Longines has a 72 hour reserve compared to the 120 hour reserve on the IWC, but if power reserve is a key factor in your decision, the Baume & Mercier Clifton automatic has a 120 hour power reserve and a Baumatic movement which is COSC certified. Very classy dress watch and business use oriented one.

The Oris Propilot series with either of these Calibres 110,111, 112, 113, 114 or 115 have a 10 day power reserve and will fall in the IWC price range as well. Good GMT options in these as well. Do check them out if you are interested in an actual Pilot watch with a lot of power reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
May I suggest "KHAKI FIELD AUTO" by Hamilton? I have seen one in person and it looks stunning. Its an Automatic though.
Do we have a dealer here in India for Hamilton?

Last edited by whencut86 : 3rd May 2024 at 12:39. Reason: addition/correction
whencut86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2024, 18:12   #5265
BHPian

Quote:
Please note the Longines spirit model you are looking for is discontinued AFAIK. The Zulu time is the latest version though. Suggest you push Ethos for even further discount. But if you do purchase this let me tell you the watch is just fabulous in terms of finish. Its also quite slim and the detailing in the dial like the chrome ring as shown below in my watch is just so classy. I am sure you would enjoy it.

Someone mentioned Hamilton which I must say is also a great choice but the quality doesn't come close to a Longines. I don't have the Khaki but if you see the Interstellar watch I have below, you can see the inconsistent gaps in the bracelet.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-17148263372071893414643619125994.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-17148265246232449103657692160829.jpg  

racer_7 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks