Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2024, 22:50   #5236
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which watch do you own?

I’m getting my grandad’s Favre Leuba Daymatic watch repaired/restored, my guess is it’s of late 1950’s - 1962 vintage. The glass needed to be replaced and we’re waiting to receive a replacement part - a small cog wheel that controls the automatic operation.

The watch doesn’t have it’s original strap, so any idea if this strap is close to or resembles the original one that came with this model ? I would be happy to find a good metal strap from Titan or any other good brands that resembles the original.
Found this pic on the internet:

Which watch do you own?-img_2932.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Is it possible to get it repaired anywhere else, India or abroad?
A BHPian recently recommended a place called Time & Me on New Thippasandra/BEML Main Road, you may want to check there. A very knowledgeable guy from Gods own country runs the place

Last edited by NPV : 22nd April 2024 at 22:57.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 09:42   #5237
Senior - BHPian

For such a vintage watch get a good leather strap.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 10:27   #5238
BHPian

I'm currently using this one from Ecko Unltd. This was gifted to me by my cousin when he came back from the States 8 years ago. And till day it works like a charm
Which watch do you own?-20240424_102450.jpg
Chandler Bing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 14:08   #5239
BHPian

Which watch do you own?-rootbeer2.jpg[/ATTACH]

Stumbled on this thread only today. Here are a couple of pics of my prized possession: ROLEX Ref: M126711CHNR or more commonly known as the Root beer.

Also own a Tudor Black bay Chrono that I picked up recently and a Tudor Pelagos- Titanium with blue dial -42 mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-rootbeer1.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-bbchrono.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 25th April 2024 at 11:52. Reason: Removed invalid attachments. Thanks.
Kontoo is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 20:33   #5240

Stumbled on this thread and find it interesting. I do possess a few smart watches, however, only a couple of analog ones.

The latest one is the "Tissot Gentleman" which I've bought in October last year and the other one is a "Titan Metropolitan Charm".

A couple of photos of the Tissot.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-rjp00-_49_.jpeg  

Which watch do you own?-rjp00-_48_.jpeg  

zpekter is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th April 2024, 21:42   #5241
BHPian

Need to sell a few used watches, not luxury or entry-luxury ones but Victorinox, Casio and Swatch, Fossil, Timex watches. Any pointers as to where I can sell used watches?

Also, are there any sites to buy leather straps with deployment clasp for watches or any good service centers in Bangalore where I will get these?
Old 25th April 2024, 19:33   #5242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Need to sell a few used watches, not luxury or entry-luxury ones but Victorinox, Casio and Swatch, Fossil, Timex watches. Any pointers as to where I can sell used watches?

Also, are there any sites to buy leather straps with deployment clasp for watches or any good service centers in Bangalore where I will get these?
Post here and give away sir

For straps, check invella
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 22:42   #5243
BHPian

Have been using fitness trackers/smartwatches since 2014. Finally decided to go with a Digital watch and what a looker this one is. The Royale has such classic looks that I find myself staring at it throughout the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20240417_210455330.jpg  

venukrithish is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 23:16   #5244
BHPian

Really amazing thread !

My fascination for smart watches died after my Apple watch series 3 stopped working suddenly and apple said they can't repair it.

I always knew that Casio has some really great watches at great prices and G-SHOCK series is their best ones known for durability. So, after so much research I bought G-SHOCK G-5600UE-1DR for under 5K/-, it comes with Tough Solar feature which needs no charging (meaning it is solar charged). This watch series has name in Guinness book of world record I am really happy that I have a piece of history as this watch carries same design as the original Casio DW-5000C released first in 1983.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...e-over-a-watch
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-gshockpic.jpg  

sulliavi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 23:50   #5245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo View Post
Also own a Tudor Black bay Chrono that I picked up recently and a Tudor Pelagos- Titanium with blue dial -42 mm.
Nice collection right there Kontoo. I had been eyeing the Black Bay and the Chrono model specifically.
Could you share about Tudor discount information, if any, incase you bought yours locally. Can PM me if needed.

Thank you.
Maky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 06:57   #5246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
In addition to what Axe77 mentioned, I was told the discounts were higher than 8% last year, I was offered much more than 8% at another Ethos branch(Phoenix) and on a Seamaster model, at 4.5 on a then 5.75 MRP as I recall, however again this was last year. Unless I am mistaken It would seem it varies from model to model as well or did so last year. My simple understanding being the difficulty acquiring Rolex pieces has resulted in demand being shifted from there to Omega, a very natural customer transition given as these brands compete directly. As a result Omega seems to have adjusted their max discount offered accordingly.

Brands like Grand Seiko as much as ~30% off.
You’re quite right on those numbers. Even I’ve been speaking mostly to Ethos Phoenix / Jio Mall although I negotiate directly with an Ethos employee I was connected with from up North to ink the deal and only process the purchases from the Palladium store.

In recent times (maybe last 6 months) Omega discounts are pretty rigid at about 8%. We picked up an Omega for the wife and a Carl F. Bucherer (CFB) for myself in December. The discount on the CFB was quite significant but the Omega held firm at 8%. Much more recently, I picked up a Grand Seiko to add to the CFB - the discount was about 30% when previously (a couple of months ago) when I had inquired about the same model the discounts offered were around 20 - 25%.

Coming to my own watch journey, I’ve only worn Garmins for the last several years (since about 2015) and didn’t really wear any watch before that. The only other watch that I had worn before that was a Citizen gifted to me by a close family member who’s no more.

We were out shopping for a watch for my wife in December and at that time I decided even I want to get myself a nice timepiece - that’s when I got myself the CFB along with her Omega. At the same time I also got the above Citizen fixed (took 3 months to get it back). Finally, I just added a Grand Seiko that I had really really liked when I had picked up the CFB as well.

Few pics below of each of them.

1. The Carl F Bucherer Manero Flyback. The CFB was incidental. We had actually gone to choose and buy the Omega Constellation for the wife. So far, only my wife liked wearing proper watches and I was perfectly content just wearing my Garmin round the clock. This time around though it ended up sucking me as well into the world of time pieces. I think the fact that my current Garmin 965 is stark white color and a complete eyesore on formal wear also contributed in some part to the transition.

Which watch do you own?-img_9250.jpeg

2. The Grand Seiko (Elegance collection). I love it for how it contrasts the CFB. Two totally distinct looking timepieces. I absolutely love the beige color dial with the relatively more minimalist watchface.

Which watch do you own?-img_9251.jpeg

3. The Citizen which I hold dear for sentimental reasons and just got fixed. It’s a regular feature again. Was gifted to me by my late FIL around the time he passed away - my wife often wears it as a daily when I’m not using it.

Which watch do you own?-img_8001.jpeg

* Pics are from the Ethos website, except the Citizen of course.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th April 2024 at 12:01.
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 12:42   #5247
Senior - BHPian

Seiko Kinetic - The quartz with a generator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Here's my year old Seiko Kinetic diver's watch with its bright Lumibrite markings. I love the Kinetic series for its hybrid drive system. It has a micro generator which is run by the wearer's hand movements like an automatic watch which in turn keeps the battery charged (first Kinetic models used capacitors) which actually powers the quartz movement. Once fully charged it will not need another shake for 6 months If the power charge goes down the watch goes into a power saving mode and suspends the hand movements, but still keeps the time internally so that it goes back to showing the right time when charged.
Attachment 613850

My next watch, when i can buy one, would be a Seiko Spring Drive watch.
Quoting my own post 13 years later. My now 14 year old Seiko SKA367 aka Big Freakin' Kinetic required a capacitor/battery replacement. Thought about taking it to a watch shop but decided to do it myself.

The weight that drives the gear rotor...
Which watch do you own?-1.jpg

...which drives the pinion gear of the generator.
Which watch do you own?-2.jpg

Weight, gear rotor and battery clamp removed. Pinion gear visible.
Which watch do you own?-3.jpg

Seiko 5M62A quartz movement with 6 jewels.
Which watch do you own?-7.jpg

Original Maxell replaced with new Panasonic. The Japanese Maxell still retained some power to drive the movement for a few hours after taken off the wrist.
Which watch do you own?-4.jpg

Panasonic installed, used original battery clamp with new insulator sheet.
Which watch do you own?-5.jpg

On the wrist. Has some scratches on the bezel and hardlex glass.
Which watch do you own?-6.jpg

From original post in 2011
Which watch do you own?-2011.jpg

I loved the Seiko Kinetic in 2014 and I love it even now. I love the concept of using weight to run a generator (inside a watch!) to charge the battery because its unlike any other rechargeable watch. Of course it is a pain to maintain compared to a Solar, but its unique. Still dreaming about that spring drive.

Last edited by Sankar : 28th April 2024 at 12:50.
Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 11:01   #5248
Senior - BHPian

So I have been eyeing a Rolex OP41 for a very long time. The OP41 seems impossible to get unless you have a good relationship with your authorised dealer - well, this was clearly communicated to me by my local Rolex authorised dealer. That got me thinking, maybe I should get the OP41 later and get something more attainable now. I am open to suggestions if you guys have any (in the range of 1-2Lakhs).

Back in the day I was a fan of Tags but they look too loud to me now. Grand Seiko is also nice but I am not able to find something with clean and understated looks (that is why I like the OP41 range).

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th April 2024 at 13:50. Reason: Expanded acronym - AD -> authorised dealer for the benefit of readers
Old 29th April 2024, 12:40   #5249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am open to suggestions if you guys have any (in the range of 1-2Lakhs).
In that range you are probably just looking at a Tissot or Longines. If however you were to bump up your budget, you could possibly look at the Omega Aqua Terra or something from Tudor.
Old 29th April 2024, 13:51   #5250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
I always knew that Casio has some really great watches at great prices and G-SHOCK series is their best ones known for durability. So, after so much research I bought G-SHOCK G-5600UE-1DR for under 5K/-, it comes with Tough Solar feature which needs no charging (meaning it is solar charged). This watch series has name in Guinness book of world record I am really happy that I have a piece of history as this watch carries same design as the original Casio DW-5000C released first in 1983.
Absolutely brilliant watch. This is also my daily driver.
  • Solar powered never needs battery change. One hour of sunlight can power the watch for 12 months.
  • 20 Bar water resist. No need to bother about removing watch while washing hands etc.
  • Shock resist. Use power tools wearing this watch. My 5 year old threw the watch 3 stories down onto a lawn. Nothing happened. On top scratch resistant crystal glass.
  • Perpetual calendar. I am very particular about this feature. The watch always shows the correct date.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks